Jun

Game 64: Goodbye, Cleveland!

(Photo Credit: Flickr user Marianne O'Leary via Creative Commons license)

This series has gone so well for the Yankees, I don’t want it to end. No one does. The Yankees have outplayed the Indians in every way imaginable, and they’ll look to complete the rare four game sweep tonight. A.J. Burnett‘s last start was brutally ineffective, so hopefully he pitches a strong game tonight and avoids the June slump that sent last season into a downward spiral. Here’s the lineup…

Derek Jeter, SS
Curtis Granderson, CF
Mark Teixeira, 1B
Alex Rodriguez, 3B
Robinson Cano, 2B
Nick Swisher, RF
Jorge Posada, DH
Brett Gardner, LF
Frankie Cervelli, C – Russell Martin was in the lineup, but was late scratch because of a stiff back

A.J. Burnett, SP

First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and ESPN nationally. Sorry for you out of towners. Enjoy.

Two LOOGYs In A Pod: Both Damaso Marte and Pedro Feliciano have starting playing catch, maybe even with each other. No word on their timetable, but I can’t imagine it’ll be anytime soon … Rafael Soriano still hasn’t been cleared to throw, but it could happen this week … Eric Chavez is hitting in the cage but still not running.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Mariano's Pimp Hand says:

Finish them!!!!

2. xnyles says:

Hello, Jesus

• Mike HC says:

You would think it is time. As opposed to pitching prospects though, I actually do trust the Yanks when it comes to hitting prospects, so whatever they decide to do I will think was the right move.

• The Constant Gardner says:

Hey Hey-Zeus!!

3. Urban says:

Martin scratched from the line-up? I would say it’s time to call up Jesus, but I’m in the camp that Montero was out of the line-up the last few games as punishment for something we may never know. If that’s the case, I think there is zero chance he’ll be rewarded with a call up right away. Hope I’m wrong.

4. Carl says:

If you look closer, only one batter in this lineup has seen Carrasco before. http://www.baseball-reference......ubmitter=1 He’ll have to carry the team tonight.

5. vin says:

All I can picture is Marte, Feliciano and Soriano playing keep-away from Eric Chavez… resulting in season ending injuries for all.

If I see those 4 dudes coming towards me on the street, I’m going to look up and watch for the paino that will surely be falling from the sky.

6. CP says:

This team could be poised for a hug second half surge. Potentially adding Hughes, Colon, Feliciano, Marte, and Soriano is basically half a pitching staff (and a darn good one at that).

• Urban says:

Hughes and Soriano, yes. (Colon, too, although I’m hoping he’s only out for two weeks, and we haven’t even missed him as of yet, so I can’t view him as a second-half improvement.)

I remain very skeptical that Feliciano and Marte will be back, let alone effective.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Which isn’t a guarantee to solve the Yankees starting pitching woes.

7. Urban says:

Regarding Joba, I know this is crazy, but is there any reason they couldn’t have kept pitching him up until today? From what I read, he was pitching in games while his elbow was bothering him and was still effective. Once the decision was made for him to go under the knife and have the reconstructive TJ surgery, is there any chance of increased damage if he simply pitched? As said, for whatever reason, he was remaining effective apparently after he had the injury.

• Mike HC says:

I would think that continuing to throw 90 mph plus with a tear in your elbow is a bad, bad idea.

• Guest says:

A healthy pitcher runs the risk of blowing his elbow out with every pitch. Pitching, as has been said ad infinitum, requires people to engage in an unnatural motion. I imagine a pitcher who already has a partial tear of his elbow increases that risk immensely.

And if he were to increase the severity of his tear, I imagine that would complicate the surgery or make rehab more difficult/longer. Not a desired result. Because of this, the Yanks had no choice but to shut him down the second they realized his elbow was in bad shape.

8. King George says:

Just heard on ESPN Radio and am now seeing on a few blogs that sources are indicating that Cashman will opt to go with Gustavo Molina INSTEAD of Montero…

• King George says:

Qualifier: IF Martin goes to the DL.

• Mike HC says:

Just speculating, but could preserving his trade value be part of the reason. Wanting to keep all options open for the trading deadline, and Montero is considered one of the top few hitting prospects in baseball, so bringing him up could probably only hurt his trade value.

• King George says:

I agree. And to be honest, I’m beginning to think if he isn’t called up if Martin heads to the DL, Montero will most likely never be in pinstripes. In essence, the writing would be on the wall for a high profile trade to be in the works.

• Urban says:

As I noted above, if indeed Montero was held out of the line up for a few games because it was related to a discipline action, there is no way the Yankees can reward him by calling him up so soon.

The Yankees, I’m sure, want to see Montero step up and grab the opportunity, something he has not been able to do since (and including) Spring Training.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

If any team takes major stock into his first major league at bats then they shouldn’t even be dealt with.

And Cahsman himself said that he thinks that there’s no number one starters on the market. He offered Jesus for Lee and Halladay. I doubt they’ll trade them for a bag if peanuts, Levine notwithstanding.

• Mike HC says:

Yea, definitely good points. Maybe they just don’t think he is ready then. Or maybe they do end up calling him up afterall when the time actually comes.

• Guest says:

OK, alright, if this is true, there is something indeed rotten in the state of Denmark.

If Gustavo Molina is going to replace Russell Martin, either a trade is in the works or he is in the doggiest of doghouses.

Having your catcher tandem be Gustavo Molina and Francisco Cervelli for 15 days (a non-insignificant chunk of the season) is totally inexcusable with Montero down in AAA. Inexcusable…unless you don’t see him in your long term plans or he did something soooooooo egregious that you need to teach him a lesson before he gets called up.

There can be no other reasonable explanation.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Basically this. Montero can learn plenty by being in the MLB. He’s ready.

• Mike HC says:

Wait, I thought you just said the exact opposite right above. Maybe I misunderstood though one of your posts.

• Mike HC says:

Maybe you were agreeing with the punishment part.

But I don’t see that, because that would be the Yanks punishing themselves.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Above I said that Cash doesn’t see an ace being available. Jesus will only be traded for an ace. Now he can be lying but if you can pinpoint a starter that could be available by all means try.

And I also said that if any team drops their stock on Montero because of his first ML PA’s then the only purpose of talking to them is screwing them royally.

• Mike HC says:

But you agreed with “Guest” who said that if the Yanks don’t call Montero up, it will be because he is either traded or punished. Maybe you only partly agreed, since you obviously don’t think he is going to get traded.

Either way, no big deal. Just got confused.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

And can you give a link please? I don’t want to believe this.

9. Len S. says:

Between Marte and Feliciano who’s taking the lead in playing catch?

10. Mickey Scheister says:

Over/under on 1 ball thrown into the outfield by Frankie today?

11. V says:

Oh look, you mean the Yankees played a guy who was hurt, instead of putting him on the DL and letting him get healthy, and he got worse? Really? I can’t believe that happened! I mean, it’s not like things like that have happened in the past!

You know, for a business with a payroll in excess of $200M, the Yankees are really poorly run.

• Esteban says:

I don’t think they’re poorly run overall, but I agree that they have had problems diagnosing injuries. Could be some blame on the players involved who always want to minimize the significance of their injuries (Arods calf and Martin’s back).

• Guest says:

But history tells us that most players minimize the significance of their injuries. Teams know this. The onus is on the medical staffs to perform the right diagnostic tests and the managers to essentially not trust the players.

I agree that this would be solved if players were more honest about their injuries, but we all know they aren’t. Everyone must adjust accordingly.

12. Rich D. says:

Over-Under 2 errors for Cervelli? He led all catchers in errors last year– AS A BACKUP!

• Mickey Scheister says:

Great minds. I say under two, or right at two. He sucks at baseball life. A great guy otherwise.

• Chip says:

How was he the backup? Posada hardly played most of the season it seemed like. Plus, he had to catch AJ all the time (not sure if PB are considered errors in this)

13. Mike Axisa says:

Hooray for six pitch innings.

14. Urban says:

Nice inning. Please bottle that AJ and do it again and again and again…

15. AnthonyNH says:

Burnett’s fastball command is a little inconsistent.

/comment from always’d

16. Xstar7 says:

There you go Jetes. Him getting it at home is looking more and more possible.

17. Urban says:

Dear Derek:

Please have a five-hit game today.

Signed, Yankee fans with tickets to the next few home games

18. Mike in EV says:

Phelps was scheduled to start tonight, but Kontos is out there instead assuming that the Scranton website/gameday is correct. Phelps last pitched on Wednesday so this ought to be his day to pitch.

19. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Jeter will go 7 for 7 until hit 3,000.

20. Jetrer says:

why keep that ball? is 2994 significant?

21. Chip says:

Bunt Tex! (kidding)

22. Mickey Scheister says:

Take a walk Tex and let A-Rod hit a majestic homerun!

23. JobaWockeeZ says:

That was Gardnerian, Jetes.

• Jetrer says:

no, that was a smart play… very shallow fly ball + Cano coming up with one out = definitely not worth the risk

24. Jerome S. says:

Suddenly… divine providence is no longer with us…

25. Xstar7 says:

Damn it A-Rod.

26. Mike Axisa says:

Yikes, what was that?

27. Jimmy McNulty says:

Pressing.

28. Mickey Scheister says:

Cmon Run, Jeter, Run!! Cmon brochaco! He’s speed is fierce, like a young Jorge Posada.

29. Chip says:

Ugh, it seems like everytime Cano decides to be patient, they throw him one right down the middle

• V says:

Being ‘patient’ isn’t ‘stand there and watch a pitch’. It’s waiting for a good pitch to hit, and hitting it hard.

Cano was patient in 2010. He didn’t walk often (50-something times), but he waited for his pitch, and crushed it. If it wasn’t his pitch, he watched it (even if it was a strike!). Cano in 2010 was a beast, MVP candidate.

Now… Cano is back to 2008. A great hitter with no patience.

30. V says:

Heh, Jered Weaver could be on the trade market this summer…

31. first time lawng time says:

Robinson that was terrible. You’re tearing up my heart!

32. Justin says:

Ugh Cano. Just flat out Ugh

33. Mickey Scheister says:

Damn Cano your plate discipline is AWFUL!!

34. CBean says:

Dear Yankees,

No seriously, score runs!

35. Urban says:

Swish, recover this inning. Letting pitchers off the hook after loading the bases and then not getting even a single run is bad.

36. Jerome S. says:

I mean seriously, what the fuck. how many times have they done that this year; bases loaded, no one out, and then BAM, clean inning.

Does any team in baseball fail so hard, so often?

• Guest says:

Given that they have one of the top two offenses in baseball, I imagine at least 28 other teams fail more hard more often at scoring runs.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

No other team has as high as expectations, as much talent, as much resources, or as much spotlight. So when the Yankees fall, they fall from a higher perch. But as far as failing hard and failing often, the Chicago Cubs have that spot locked pretty well.

37. Xstar7 says:

At least they made him work?

38. AnthonyNH says:

ugh.

39. Mike Axisa says:

Bases loaded, no outs, no runs because no one on the Yankees can run the bases.

• first time lawng time says:

In Jeter’s defense (and this is big, me saying this, because I can’t stand him) Arod Cano Swish gotta get hits.

• Guest says:

You know, this is a good point and kind of inexcusable. Other Nunez, there are no young babes on this roster. The craptacular base running from so many veterans is…disturbing.

Hopefully this is just a weird 63+ game anamoly that will be corrected going forward.

• Jetrer says:

that was a very shallow fly ball with Cano coming up with one out. I thought that was an appropriate non send.

• Urban says:

I undertand what you’re saying, but I don’t agree if this is a knock on Jeter. That fly ball was not deep enough torisk getting thrown out. If he got thrown out we’d instantly go from no outs and bases loaded to two outs and people be screaming “why the hell did they send them with Cano coming up!!” Jeter was trying to draw the throw. It looked bad because of what Brantely did (of didn’t do), but by that point Jeter’s momentum was heading back to third.

Of course, the way the inning unfolded, they might as well just have sent him.

40. first time lawng time says:

What a crappy inning.

I hope this team isn’t going into that phase with the RISPfail again. That’d be a bit sad.

41. V says:

ARod with a crappy swing, Jeter not running home, Cano has reverted to 2008, and… Swish.

42. King George says:

Wow, well done Yankees. Round of applause there. Had a chance to completely take the wind out of Cleveland’s sails in the FIRST INNING and you blew it. Nice.

43. Mike HC says:

Well, that is a squandered opportunity.

44. Xstar7 says:

Typical Yankee RISP fail. AJ is probaly going to blow up next inning.

/MochaJoe’d

45. Mickey Scheister says:

STOP IT FRANKIE! Your not allowed to make snap throws!

46. Jetrer says:

anyone else think Cervelli cost AJ a strike on that throw to first by jumping around instead of framing the pitch

47. Rainbow Connection says:

Any inning where Cervelli doesn’t launch the ball into the OF (as a catcher) is a good one.

48. first time lawng time says:

So i’m looking at Cleveland’s RISP stats and watching them fail make me wonder, is this how other teams felt playing the Yankees last Sept? Like, wow, this team definiteley won’t score; I’m not even worried.

Kinda sad.

49. Sheepmeister says:

So Montero hits a 3 run bomb in AAA tonight, brilliant to sit him.

50. Guy Montag says:

Jorge has the right idea. He’s trying to get ahead every single time by throwing a 1st strike right down the middle. Make him pay.

51. Urban says:

Jorge continuing to say “F-U, Montero.”

• Guest says:

The catching situation has changed. This isn’t about DH anymore.

Martin should be on the DL, and Montero/Cervelli or Montero/Molina should be the catching combo. When Martin comes back, Martin/Montero.

Breaking in as a back-up catcher didn’t exactly ruin Jorge’s career.

52. Xstar7 says:

Jorge Posada is Megatron today. It mist be the warm weather.

53. Rob says:

maybe they’ll try a double steal…

54. Esteban says:

Probability Jeter and Gardner switch spots in the lineup after 3k hits?
    5%?

55. Urban says:

Of course. When a pitcher is showing no ability to throw strikes, the first think a manager should do is bunt.

56. Urban says:

Brilliant. Thanks, Joe.

57. Mike Axisa says:

Urge to kill Frankie, rising.

58. Esteban says:

Fantastic AB by Cervelli.

59. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

ugg…Cervelli is fucking useless

60. JobaWockeeZ says:

Stop complaining, you wouldn’t have done anything anyways.

61. Jetrer says:

that was just fucking awful Cervelli … useless

62. swishers fauxhawk says:

#DFACervelli

63. StanfordBen says:

Updated estimate of Jeter getting to 3,000 at home: If he gets 16 more AB’s in the remaining games, assuming his average should be .275, he has a 26% chance of getting at least 6 more hits.

64. Urban says:

That was ball four.

65. Mickey Scheister says:

One of the worst called strikes EVER!

66. Pat D says:

Me to Cervelli:

“Why are you the way that you are? I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.”

67. Esteban says:

Bizarre Strikezone

68. #24!!!! says:

This is an awful strike zone

69. Urban says:

Umpire consistency on called strikes confusing.

70. King George says:

Another great strike call there for Granderson (sarcasm)

71. Montero21 says:

MONTERO 3 RUN JIMMY JACK…….HE’S READY! NO NEED TO WAIT AT ALL. FRANKIE IS GARBAGE AND JESUS IS THE FRANCHISE!

72. Xstar7 says:

The Yankees are tanks at leaving men on base.

73. King George says:

I think we collectively just skipped a heart beat when Grandy fouled that off his foot…

74. Guy Montag says:

5 men left on base. This lineup is one of the worst I’ve seen with RISP. This guy ain’t any good but we’re making him look like David Robertson.

75. Nuke LaDoosh says:

so, what did i miss, bases loaded no run and a cervelli failed bunt attempt? how is AJ?

76. Esteban says:

ARGH

77. Montero21 says:

OK, so here it is: Montero is easily — easily — the most talked-about player I’ve ever covered. Maybe in any sport. So I get that this whole weekend was going to be just a pool of speculation. But the fact of the matter is this: I never got one report from this end of things that indicated the back-to-back days off were anything more than just a few days off for a kid to clear his head. The way he was swinging on Friday — the last time he started — he was swinging out of his shoes. The bottom line is, he may have been trying a bit too hard and needed to settle down a bit. Think about it. There is a lot of movement going on around him. Players are going up that, maybe, might not be as talented as he is. It’s probably natural to be going after it the way he has, hoping he can be so impressive that the big leagues are forced to take him. That has never worked for him, though. He’s at his best when everything looks effortless. Lately, it hasn’t.

78. Montero21 says:

I reported what I knew — and I did so on Saturday. I reported he was getting the day off, that there was no call-up or trade imminent, nor was there an injury. Then I got a million questions about whether there was a trade or call-up coming. Or, if not that, maybe an injury? Some reporter questioned why there wasn’t more written about this situation in The Times-Tribune today. First off, I wasn’t working. I do get time off every now and then (the company insists I take it). Secondly, there was nothing to report. There was no deal imminent. There was no injury. There was no call-up. The man was just given a few days to collect himself. He’s 21. He was probably trying to hard. I think we all need to realize that. This wasn’t a situation where he was “bored,” as many suggested to me. This wasn’t a situation at all. At the end of the day, he missed one game. One game. And it was all any Yankees fans could talk about. It just boggles my mind. But the bottom line is, there was never anything sinister about it.

And with that swing in the third inning, maybe it worked.

79. Mickey Scheister says:

Strike. Cmon! Consistency please.

80. Montero21 says:

SWB play by play blog

81. That would kill the DH.

82. Matt says:

What the Yankees should do right now is DL Russell Martin and call up Jesus Montero and play him every day.

Cervelli is terrible. If Martin’s back is still flaring up, and you have an option that good in AAA, why is he still playing through it?

Martin is worn down physically, and he has a back problem and possibly a broken toe which are changing his hitting and throwing mechanics. It’s obvious at the plate, as his batting average is plummeting while his GIDP’s keep piling up.

Montero is starting to come around offensively, and he can’t possibly be much worse than Cervelli defensively. Montero is better than a banged up Russell Martin, and this will get Montero ML experience while also allowing Martin to rest and heal up for the stretch run.

Cervelli is one of the worst players in all of baseball. If he has to play 3 days a week while Martin heals up, you might as well just DL Martin and sit Cervelli back on the bench.

• V says:

Brevity is the soul of wit.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Are you aware the Yankees aren’t 0-64?

• Matt says:

What in the world are you talking about?

Saying the team is mishandling an injury has nothing to do with the performance of the team in an individual game.

Maybe if you would stop trying to incite flame wars, you could have intelligent discourse for once.

83. Xstar7 says:

Way to get out of that mini jam AJ. Now let’s get him some of the runs we should have scored in the first inning.

84. pat says:

Sizemore looked like he was carrying refrigerator on his back as he was running the bases.

85. Mickey Scheister says:

Hes trying to get that strike near the eyes called again.

86. Xstar7 says:

Fuck, Kay got me excited on that fly ball by Alex.

87. Karl Krawfid says:

DL Martin and call up Montero.

Easy.

88. Esteban says:

A very frustrating 3 innings.

89. Guest says:

Is it me, or are a lot of A-Rod’s drives to right dying on/near the track last year? The power to Left/Left center is as good as ever, but his right-field power swing seems to be missing.

90. CBean says:

Jesus, it’s gonna be one of those games

91. Xstar7 says:

There’s the Yankees obligatory double-play for the day.

92. Guy Montag says:

Better hope we can hit some solo HRs to give AJ some run support. He’ll eventually need it when he implodes.

93. Jerome S. says:

Divine Providence is not with us today.

I find that in many a game this year, if it doesn’t start well, it doesn’t end well. Am concerned.

94. Mickey Scheister says:

DFA Swisher.

Only half kidding…c’mon homie!!

95. first time lawng time says:

I’ll say it: 7 LOB.

96. first time lawng time says:

You suck, Swisher.

97. Mike Axisa says:

Quick, everyone get on Swish for just missing on the dive!

98. Guy Montag says:

Is Cervelli even in the top 5 catchers in the Yankee organization? When are the Yankees going to cut him and bring up a better option?

• Guest says:

Right now, yes. But, there are 5 catchers who I’d rather have going forward than Cervelli.

• MannyGeee says:

offensively, no.

but defensively…. no.

but he does lead the team in languages spoken fluently, stroke faces made and fist pumps attempted, so there’s that.

99. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Reminds me of the Sox series except we’re not down 6-0

100. BigTimeBartolo says:

Fuck you Swisher, do something fucking right

101. Hall and Nokes says:

This game has fail written all over it.

102. first time lawng time says:

I blame Swisher for that.

103. first time lawng time says:

I blame Swisher for that.

104. first time lawng time says:

I blame Swisher for that.

• first time lawng time says:

IDK why that happened…my apologies.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I blame Swisher for that.

doublepost’d

• Matt says:

Wow, such a friendly and constructive response. Way to go. I bet you even think that others view your posts as witty and clever.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Every time you post you seem to say a long bunch of bad things about the Yankees. Even better.

• first time lawng time says:

I can’t speak for Garcias 86 heat, but I think he was just joking. Lol

• Matt says:

That’s not the part I was responding to. Look at what he felt he had to stick in at the end of it.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Wouldn’t that be part of a joke…?

• Matt says:

You don’t have to be a jerk to the guy in the process. You’re not funny, you’re just nasty.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I don’t know what you would hope to accomplish by saying that.

• first time lawng time says:

I thank you for sticking up to me, but I really isn’t see anything nasty by it.

On the contrary, I thought it was funny (and I think that was his intention).

• Xstar7 says:

You’re not one for the memes are you?

• Matt says:

No, I’m not, because all it ends up being is self-stoking, arrogant, and ridiculous looking.

You don’t have to put a slash in front of everything that you type and sarcastically mock everyone else’s posting and describe the tone word for word. It’s obnoxious and annoying to read.

• Jetrer says:

posters being obnoxious and annoying overall with 5000 word posts are enjoyable to read

• first time lawng time says:

The comment really wasn’t annoying, though.

Really, Freddy Garcia’s 86 mph Heat is a very nice commenter; I don’t think he meant anything to be rude.

• Xstar7 says:

Most of the time they’re not used to mock anybody. Just to get cheap laughs. You’re looking deeper into this than you need to.

• Esteban says:

Great to hear your opinion. Some people disagree, and your criticisms are not likely to stop the memes from being used. Does it really bother you that much?

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Not to speak for the other RAB posters, but many other posters seem to do that too.

• first time lawng time says:

Lol yeah he was just teasing me, because I accidentally triple posted.

He’s usually pretty nice, so I don’t think he meant anything malicious by it

105. Chip says:

Brackman just came in for SWB? ……….are they converting him?

• Guest says:

The Yankees would never put short-term needs above long term planning with its you pitchers.

/frustrating games bring out the sarcasm’d

• Chip says:

Well, to be fair they are kind of running out of time with him and the thought is that’s where he’ll end up eventually. He’s got an ERA of like 7 thus far so he might just have to figure it out in the bullpen

• Jose the Satirist says:

He has been horrible this year. I think they are justified in experimenting a bit.

• Urban says:

They may not be converting him, but they may be considering him as an option and want to see how he handles relieving. I’m skeptical. His biggest issue is a starter is command. I kind of like my relievers to throw stikes, so not sure how this will work for Brackman’s development, or the Yankee pen.

106. Urban says:

Well that was a positive. The wild pitch prevented Cabrera from stealing and the inevitable throw by Cervelli in CF!

Hold it here, AJ. We’re not getting shut out by this piece of crap pitcher.

107. MannyGeee says:

wow. every day is an adventure for Swisher out there, huh.

108. Chip says:

I love watching AJ work the change, I know it’s false hope that he can start leaning on it more but I can’t help myself

109. first time lawng time says:

1 run..no big deal. Just score some runs. It isn’t hard,

110. That wasn’t “dee[” michael.

111. MannyGeee says:

Posada leads the league in batting average…. over the past week.

S.S.S. FTW!!!!

112. King George says:

And Cervelli is still on the team, why??

113. At least we cleared the catcher. Bring up Jesus.

114. Guest says:

Cervelli doing everything he can to help the call-up Jesus cause.

115. MannyGeee says:

70 pitches through 4IP for Carrasco. give this about 25 minutes AJ, we’ll be in this thing.

116. CBean says:

I miss our evil home runs.

117. MannyGeee says:

well, looks like the Bruins decided to show up. up 2-0 over Van-Cooooo-Ver in the 1st period.

editors note: I know nothing about hockey (outside of there being a shitload of Canadias and Russians involved), so I think what I said up there is a thing…

118. King George says:

It just seems like the recurring motif is that whenever Burnett throws a decent game, the offense hasn’t picked him up. It’s happened a few times already this year, the Humber game sticks out in my mind.

119. MannyGeee says:

holy shit. greatest SS’s of all time, and we are starting that list at #1 with a guy who played a CENTURY AGO?!?!?!?!? Didn’t they used to use peach baskets or something back then?

WOW

120. TheLastClown says:

Hey all. Just got in.

Quick & dirty recap? Seems like AJ’s pitching well.

121. first time lawng time says:

In all honesty, 1 swing ties the game.

It not that hard, Yankees.

122. Mike Axisa says:

Yeah, why not swing at the first pitch again, Derek.

123. Esteban says:

Wuh ohs

124. CBean says:

No no no no more injuries

125. Sheepmeister says:

This is the part of the game where the yankees now allow the pitcher to go 8 innings.

126. first time lawng time says:

Lol this offense sucks tonight.

If my AJ gets the loss after the gem he has pitched, I’m gona be pissed.

127. Karl Krawfid says:

Phantom Jeter injury to make sure he gets hit at home.

lol

This team is falling apart!

128. MannyGeee says:

wow. that was an inning.

129. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

GREAT offensive inning.

130. Xstar7 says:

Beautiful at-bat by Tex.

131. Crime Dog says:

“Nunez for Jeter” says Girardi. Ruh Roh

132. Guest says:

Nice inning.

133. Jetrer says:

So now Carrasco has only thrown one more pitch than AJ. Glad getting his pitch count up early is paying off.

134. Matt says:

What do you expect?

Carrasco has good stuff. They had some ridiculously good chances to score off of him and failed. If you let a guy escape jams like that, you’re going to build his confidence and it’s going to become a lot tougher to make up for it later in the game when he’s pounding the zone and not giving you free baserunners anymore.

Yes, Carrasco is not this good, but the Yankees should have 3 or 4 runs on the board already. If they do, you aren’t saying that about his start. Most decent pitchers struggle early in games and tend to settle in as the game goes along. The difference is that the not-so-good ones give up 2 or 3 runs early on, while the good ones find ways to battle.

135. Esteban says:

Well it looks like Jeter won’t be atop the lineup for a few days. Still don’t want to see him hurt.

• TheLastClown says:

Hopefully Gardner can be the dynamic LO hitter we’d all love to see.

Would make it a bit harder to continually pencil Jete in up there I hope.

136. Greg says:

Brackman pitching in relief at AAA

137. CBean says:

I think the baseball gods are mad at us

138. Karl Krawfid says:

This team doesn’t have the balls to put him on the DL I bet.

They’ll just let him suck ever more for a month like they did with A-Rod and are currently doing with Martin.

139. Jimmy McNulty says:

Now Jeter too? Meh, not as worried. Also, awesome play from Teixeira. Love that guy.

140. Xstar7 says:

Maybe this will be the inning the Yankees offense wakes up?

141. MannyGeee says:

wow, Teix is earning his Gold Glove/Kings Ransom tonight.

142. Bronx Byte says:

This Yankee team is good at building us up to let us down. Too many components not pulling their weight. No timely hitting. Situational hitting non-existent. No run support for too many good pitching performances.

143. Xstar7 says:

Beautiful at-bat A-Rod.

144. first time lawng time says:

There is NO way this team is coming back from this insurmountable lead.

145. King George says:

+1 for Swish hitting on a 3-0 count!!!!!

146. MannyGeee says:

well, at least Swish hit it on the screws.

147. Xstar7 says:

Nick Swisher just has no luck.

148. MannyGeee says:

wow. L.O.B. FAIL

149. Sheepmeister says:

What is Swishers BABIP this year and what is his career BABIP.

150. Matt says:

Ugh, I hate Swisher swinging on 3-0 there. Carrasco has had serious trouble throwing strikes out of the stretch in this game. Why would you swing in that situation trailing in the game? He didn’t throw anything close in that entire at bat, make him earn it there.

151. King George says:

This is what happens when you leave 7 runners on base in the top 3 innings. You have to cash in on those opportunities. And now, Carrasco is in a good situation going forward. We have seen this time do this time and time again and unfortunately it comes at a time when AJ (yet again) is pitching a great game.

152. Chip says:

Awesome, next inning we have Gardner, Cervelli, Nunez coming up

153. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Glad that making Carrasco throw lots of pitches worked.

154. Pat D says:

Anytime you guys wanna score off this guy…

I guess this is my fault for opening the can of worms last night.

155. Greg says:

Just as we are starting to feel good about the Yankees, they pull us right back down.

156. Jerome S. says:

IT’S ONE FUCKING RUN

HOW HARD IS IT TO OVERCOME??!!

157. Nuke LaDoosh says:

Did I just hear correctly. Derek had a cow ?

158. MannyGeee says:

did that hit his toe?

Nope Cervelli just ole’d that ball

159. Chip says:

Ugh, gotta be able to make that play Cervelli

160. Montero21 says:

UPDATE, 9:06: Jesus Montero is having a helluva game. He has had plenty of problems with the tag at the plate this year, but he just made a big-league catch and swipe tag of McConnell as he was trying to score standing up on Antonelli’s single. Great throw from Golson, but Montero had to stay in there, make sure he had the ball, and make the swipe. He did all three. Still 5-3.

161. AaronGuileWithASmile says:

If the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, then Cashman and Girardi are batshit insane for continuing to let Cervelli play.

162. Steve S. says:

Brackman began life as a reliever tonight. While it didn’t go well (1.1 IP with 3 H, 2 BB, 2 ER) I welcome this move with open arms.

I’ve been waiting for this move, they’ve been hinting at it for weeks. The Yanks need bullpen help, and frankly it’s about time to declare Brackman a failed starter. Even during his horrendous 2009 campaign, he had a good stretch at the end of the year working out of the pen. If this goes well, we could see him called up as a reliever in a month or two, and I’m all on board with that.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

That makes one of us.

• TheLastClown says:

Full blown this.

• V says:

Brackman has no command. So yes, let us convert him to a reliever where he can not-have-command as a reliever. Brilliant idea.

Snort.

• Steve S. says:

Actually, guys like him can have good command for a few innings, and then lose it and put 5 runs on the board. As a reliever, you get to limit the damage he can cause. Again, one of the best stretch he’s had in the Yankee farm system was the relief work he did in 09. It’s worth a shot, because if he keeps pitching the way he has as a starter, he’s going to get released.

• TheLastClown says:

Kenny says “There’s a lotta movement on his pitches” as a cement mixing meatball is swung through.

163. Jetrer says:

fucking jackass

164. TheLastClown says:

Holy crap Brett.

165. Crime Dog says:

Uhh what was that Brett

166. mbonzo says:

WTF WAS THAT!

167. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

bunting with 2 strikes???????????????????????????????????????

168. Jimmy McNulty says:

Weak.

169. Guy Montag says:

Gardner just doesn’t have any baseball sense. None whatsoever.

170. Matty Ice says:

One of the dumbest things I have seen in quite some time.

171. FIPster Doofus says:

What in the name of fuck was that?

172. Andy says:

What the fuck was that?

173. tom says:

Once again, the magic of bunting.

174. Greg says:

Did Gardner just try to bunt with two strikes? This is why he is a 4th outfielder to me. That and not being able to steal bases.

175. Jerome S. says:

ONE RUN GUYS

ON FUCKING RUN

176. Guest says:

Gameday says Gardner struck out on a foul bunt. Since this most clearly be an error, can someone tell me what actually happened in his at-bat?

177. Mike Axisa says:

Just pull him from the fucking game. 3-2 count, and he bunts ball four foul for strike three to lead off an inning his team is down by a run?

GTFO.

• Greg says:

DO you now see why he is not a starter to me?

• Greg says:

He cant steal bases and he tries pull shit off like what we just saw. He’s an idiot.

• Jetrer says:

He’s an idiot who provides elite defense and above average on base abilities

• Greg says:

Elite defense I think not. Doesn’t have a cannon arm. Good defense yes.

Above average OBP and a buck will get you a cup of coffee if he cant steal bases

• “elite defense I think not.”- loses all credibility

• Jetrer says:

um first in fielding among Leftfielders according to Fangraphs. When is best not elite. His range more than makes up for the arm. Not many left fielders have good arms.

• mbonzo says:

Gardner ranked 4th last year in runs saved with their arm, right behind Hamilton, Choo, and Francoeur. He ranked #1 in basically everything else. He also ranked 8th in OBP amonst OFers, and 5th in SB in baseball.

• Greg says:

last year being the key words.

If he could hit .290 or .300 then I can ignore the stupid decisions. But he hits .270 and .260.

• mbonzo says:

Gardner has the 3rd highest OBP on the team, and started this year out with a huge April slump. Why don’t you complain about Jeter, you say Gardner isn’t good enough to be a lead-off hitter, year Jeter is the lead-off hitter and has been hitting much worse than Gardner.

• mbonzo says:

Every argument you make is based on one or two at bats, do you have long term memory or are you trolling? Gardner has been one of the most valuable outfielders, he’s just prone to stupid decisions.

• Greg says:

He’s prone to stupid descions and he cant steal bases. And he can’t hit enough to be a leadoff guy.

• Jetrer says:

You realize being a starter and being a leadoff guy are two different things, right? Your wrong anyways. League average leadoff hitter – .259,.323,.375 Gardner .276/.353/.425

• mbonzo says:

He’s hitting better than Jeter, why aren’t you complaining about him?

• mbonzo says:

Too bad we don’t have Melky to just strikeout swinging there.

• Jetrer says:

bad baseball IQ makes for a bad bench player. He’s either a starter or get rid of him. Seeing as he has a 1.9 fWAR for about league minimum, he’s worth keeping, just need someone to help him pull his head out of his ass

• V says:

You really are fucking insane.

Brett Gardner is a fucking dumbass, but he’s still good enough to be a starting outfielder. Not sure how his being a dumbass makes him NOT a starter.

• Greg says:

If he could hit the ball better like .290 or .300, than I could ignore these once in a while.

• Jetrer says:

How about third in ML in WAR for LF. Being the third most valuable LF in baseball this year isn’t enough. Would you rather have a lesser player who never made mistakes, but was less valuable overall??

178. King George says:

Unbelievable.

179. Ivan says:

Hahahahahahahaha, thats all I can do right now to hide the absolute ANGER I have for that play. You cannot make that up….

180. Pasqua says:

Gardner might have one of the lowest Baseball IQ’s in the league.

181. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Cervelli really wants Jesus in the Bronx.

182. Chip says:

Wow, I take it Gardner struck out bunting with two strikes?

183. Guy Montag says:

Even Rick Sutcliffe said it was awful. Gardner needs to go.

184. AaronGuileWithASmile says:

I know it seems improbable, but Gardner-Cervelli-Nunez managed to do even worse than expected.

Nice play Hannahan.

185. Matt says:

I don’t even know what to say after watching that idiotic display from Gardner.

Many times, this team really looks like it doesn’t have any clue how to approach an at bat, and tonight is a prime example.

Every time Carrasco is 2-0, 3-1, etc, he throws an offspeed pitch. Yet the hitters refuse to adjust and continue to swing out of their shoes looking for the fastball.

How can anyone be surprised by the results when the approach is so bad?

186. Guy Montag says:

We’ve turned this guy into David Robertson and now into Roy Halladay. He’s not any good! Even with Nunez and Cervelli in the lineup we should have scored at least one run with bases loaded no outs and 1st and 2nd no outs.

187. MannyGeee says:

wow, shit is just going their way tonight. No two ways around it.

188. first time lawng time says:

SCORE A FUCKInG RUN YOU FUTILE MOTHERFUCKING SHIT DOUCHEBAG BASTARD TEAM.

IT’S ONE FUCKING RUN!!

THE PITCHER ISN’T EVEN GOOD!

Love,
    FTLT

sorry, lost my cool a bit. I dot really like it when AJ gets robbed of a win. He’s pitched so well.

189. JobaWockeeZ says:

Jesus time.

190. Frank says:

Posada/Gardner rank 1-2 (you can choose) for bone head plays for the week.

191. Guest says:

I’m wondering if they just want Jesus to start his big league career on the road. Less pressure.

We’ll see.

192. King George says:

TO EVERYONE QUESTIONING A MONTERO CALL UP…

You just saw Exhibit A on why he should be call up. Cervelli is batting .196 and sub .150 in the last 10 games.

• JohnnyC says:

Oh but the defense…

• Guy Montag says:

I agree. And he should have been brought up weeks ago. Russell Martin is nursing an injury and Cervelli is not an everyday player. Montero should be starting these games. We lose nothing on defense except arrant throws to CF and we gain everything on offense.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

There’s more than just this year on the line, if they call up Montero they’d better make sure that he’s ready for the show. You don’t want to ruin a bat like that.

• Guest says:

He’s spent the equivalent of two full seasons at AA or higher. He’s spent 1 1/3 seasons at AAA.

He’s hit well at every level.

He’s ready.

193. Guest says:

Bad feeling about this inning.

194. MannyGeee says:

Nunez needs to dive jump and throw on that shot if he ever wants to make it in this town…

195. Dalelama says:

I think Gardner is grooming himself to takeover Posada’s role as team knucklehead.

196. Matt says:

It’s one thing if Burnett gives up 5 runs and Carrasco settles in with a big lead.

But to do this in a 1-0 game in which he should be under pressure is weak to be nice.

It’s not like he’s pounding the zone either. Guys are getting themselves out in counts like 3-0, 2-0, etc by swinging at pitcher’s pitches.

197. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I wonder if anyone besides Girardi/Cash/Steinbrenners doesn’t want Jesus called up.

• Crime Dog says:

Cervelli. Unless he realizes how bad he is

• MannyGeee says:

Athiests, The Tea Party and Al Quieda… oh yeah, and Red Sox Nation

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Seriously, it’s okay to try and develop these guys.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

It’s just hard to imagine Jesus being any worse than Cervelli is now.

• Guest says:

But he’s not a starter that they’re rushing up to be a middle reliever despite the fact that he needs to develop a third pitch. There’s just not that much developing left to be done for Jesus.

He’s proven everything he needs to prove with the bat at a minor league level. He’s not going to see anything new from AAA pitching that he hasn’t seen over the last 1 1/3 seasons. And he’s hit what he’s seen very well over that time period.

His defense has improved, and let’s face its, it’s never going to be great anyway (too big, unathletic for things to be otherwise).

THe little left for him to gain down there (if anything is left for him to gain) is far outweighed by the value that he could provide to the big club right now.

198. Just noticed that the Indians are wearing the Wahoo hats. Boo.

199. Guest says:

Quick poll on the Q of the night:

Is there ANYONE here who is NOT in favor of calling up Montero immediately? Based on the comments, it seems like we’re all in agreement.

200. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

That could have been the worst curveball ever?

201. Jimmy McNulty says:

AJ deserves better than this run support.

202. MannyGeee says:

nice game by AJ. too bad that 1ER and 8Ks doesnt get you a win with the best offense in the league behind you!

203. King George says:

Jesus better have his bags packed tonight and NOT Gustavo Molina…

204. first time lawng time says:

8 IP 1ER. In line for the loss. This is the third time it’s happened. It’s bull shit.

205. CBean says:

Poor AJ

206. Maybe they should IBB him.

207. mt says:

Still angry at that Gardner bunt for strike three.

Yankees bonehead plays like that really get magnified in these one-run games – maybe that’s why their record is so poor in one run games, especially for a team with such a positive run differential overall.

208. Chip says:

Alright, our best three hitters coming up, I have faith

209. NHYankeesFan says:

Wait, Robertson didn’t get a strikeout!

210. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

We have Grandy, Tex and Arod coming up.

SCORE ONE FUCKING RUN!!!!!!!!

211. Monteroisdinero says:

Montero is ready in every way. People will need to be patient. He may not hit much (Cervelli-like) to start and Yankee fans are ummm, not the most patient. His defense is fine. He is very slow on the bases so be prepared for that.

But when he starts banging the cover off the ball……

212. TheLastClown says:

Ok. Six outs. at least One run.

We will not be stopped.

213. first time lawng time says:

Let me be the first to say: this is who AJ is. He is an excellent pitcher and does not get nearly enough credit. He battles, works hard, and is such a nice guy.

• TheLastClown says:

I get that you like him & want to see him succeed, but the oscillations between brilliant and awful have been career spanning, character & work ethic notwithstanding.

I always want to see him do well obviously, but his bad starts are every bit “who he is”.

If they weren’t, we’d have co-aces.

• MannyGeee says:

this is who GOOD AJ is. we’ve seen this movie before. he will give up 6ER this weekend.

AJ is my dude and all, but inconsistency is part of the package.

214. mbonzo says:

Damn that was close. Arods gotta carry this team.

215. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

FUCK that was close

216. King George says:

We are just not cutting it tonight guys. 12 men LOB ain’t good baseball.

217. mbonzo says:

So far, Montero 2 for 4 tonight with a 3 run homerun. PLEASSSSSEEEEEE!

218. King George says:

Come on, Alex. One swing away from a big swing of momentum!

219. TheLastClown says:

And here comes the tying run. 270 feet away.

220. first time lawng time says:

You can’t hit a HR off this guy. His pitches are like ankle high.

221. mbonzo says:

BABIP is on the Indians side tonight.

222. Mike Axisa says:

No Robbie, don’t bother to take a pitch after he threw four straight balls to the last guy.

223. It'sATarp says:

how many 1-0 games has AJ lost with us?

224. mt says:

Swing at first pitch after walk – thanks, Cano.

225. MannyGeee says:

atta way to not take a pitch Cano

226. King George says:

Swish, Jorge, and Shitty Catcher due up in the bottom of the 9th. Do we see a pinch hit (maybe Jones or Dickerson) for Cervelli?

227. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Swish, Posada, Gardner, Cervelli, Nunez in the 9th. Doesn’t look like fun.

228. tom says:

The 1-run game continues to beat the crap out of this team.

Not that I’m giving up. Swish/Jorge/Gardy — I know you’re going to do it for us.

229. Kostas says:

Wasted pitching effort by AJ. Now being shut out at home the icing on top. Maybe after the AS Break this team can string together more than 3 wins in a row. (doing it only once so far)

230. Guy Montag says:

If any man gets on base they need to PH Jones for Cervelli and take their chances with Posada at C if it goes to extras. Cervelli should be sent down tomorrow and Montero called up. You improve your offense and only lose a guy that is 2/20 in throwing runners out.

231. first time lawng time says:

Carraco deserves to lose the game because he isn’t AJ.

232. JobaWockeeZ says:

I remember when I looked forward to the Yank’s opportunity to come from behind and late.

233. mbonzo says:

This 1 run game isn’t over.

234. MannyGeee says:

wow. there is a full blown Adrian Gonzalez dick suckin going on in the ESPN booth tonight. I swear I just heard Sutcliffe say aGon’s piss tastes like lemonade and can heal crippled kids and full blown AIDS…

235. JobaWockeeZ says:

Right down broadway.

236. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Joe needs to run out and get tossed.

237. AaronGuileWithASmile says:

Swish really looks tentative at the plate. No way he doesn’t pull the trigger on that pitch last year.

238. Kostas says:

Swisher is worthless this year. He had his head so far up his back side.

239. MannyGeee says:

one thing is true… Chris Perez’ beard is waaaaaay underrated, considering the attention that shitbrick Brian Wilson gets for his.

240. King George says:

LOL at Swish. Three straight pitches down the middle.

241. bonestock94 says:

Chris Perez definitely has the wrong name.

242. first time lawng time says:

When was the last time they hit a HR?

243. MikeD says:

Okay, showing up for the last half inning. Quick recap of all the runs.

Just kidding.

244. AaronGuileWithASmile says:

I’m not gonna lie, I kind of hope that Gardner bunts here.

Just for the lolz

245. Greg says:

If he hits a HR… I will bow down.

246. MikeD says:

Surely Brett has a HR in him. Okay, I’ll take a walk or a single.

247. JobaWockeeZ says:

Gardner as last hope? Good night fellas.

248. Guest says:

Gardner should swing for the fences with Cervelli on deck.

249. Corporate Scum says:

I blame AJ.

250. DareBear says:

Who misses the 2009 walk-off magic??

251. Ivan says:

Perez is nasty.

252. King George says:

Any ESPN broadcast with Sean McDonough is painful. Dude admitted on air he’s a Red Sox fan and just keeps jerking off anything Boston and shitting on anything Yankees.

253. Kostas says:

The bright side, Yanks have been shut out more than they have shut out teams. Always look for the positive.

254. Jetrer says:

fucking weak

255. Greg says:

Trade for this guy

256. Mike Axisa says:

What a stupid game.

257. Eh, still a great series.

258. Ivan says:

Well at least we took 3 out of 4 eh.

259. first time lawng time says:

Wow. I hate this team so much right now. This loss is much more vile than those against Boston.

260. MikeD says:

Normally I’d be happy by that work from Perez since I have him on my Roto team. Not tonight.

261. tom says:

Hard to believe a whole game turned on Jeter opting not to try to score when the outfielder was about conceding a run.

262. Pat D says:

Pathetic job, offense. Just pathetic.

263. mbonzo says:

Its bad when you’d rather watch the talent in Scranton than in the Bronx. This is the perfect time to call up Montero.

264. Mickey Scheister says:

Terrible, just terrible. Andruw Jones on the bench, I’d have felt better with him striking out in that spot.

• Guest says:

Jones has struggled against righties and Gardner’s been incredibly hot over the last month and a half.

Right move to leave Gardy in there.

265. King George says:

Not gonna lie, I’m worried about the team going into the next series vs. Texas. Thankfully, Tampa and Boston play each other so it will lessen the damage if we lose the series to the Rangers.

266. Guy Montag says:

That was the most pathetic display of offense I’ve ever seen from a Yankee lineup. Bases loaded no outs, no runs. 1st and 2nd no outs, no runs. The starter was a nobody. Cervelli can’t hit for beans and he can’t throw out runners. Why is he still on the roster? Gardner has no baseball sense. And a trade needs to be made for a new right fielder. One that can field and doesn’t fall all over the place and one that can be respectable at the plate.

• Monteroisdinero says:

We lost this game because of risp failure but Dickerson (I think) and Golson (I know) makes that catch. One thing an infielder doesn’t need to catch a Nick Swisher throw from the outfield (on a bounce or two) is a glove. This will not change in the second half of the season. We will continue to wait for the Swisher lefty bat to wake up. He is playing like an old man out there.

• JohnnyC says:

Cashman has probably conveniently forgotten that he acquired Swisher to play first base…that’s how much he thought of Swisher’s outfield skills. He’s getting daily reminders of that right now.

267. mt says:

Indians get first hit with RISP after 20 straight failures and of course it gives them THE run in first 1-0 game ever at YS3.

Susan, YCPB

268. DareBear says:

Who misses te walk-off magic of Melky, Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui in 1002??

269. DareBear says:

Who misses te walk-off magic of Melky, Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui in 2009??

270. Xstar7 says:

I hate winning the first two or three games in a series only to lose in the finale. Always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• tom says:

All losses suck. Especially winnable ones like this.

I said last week: the Yankees have had more than their share of tough losses — they’re still about 5 games under in 1-2 run games. You have to figure that’ll even out eventually. We’re waiting.

• Matt says:

The problem is that these don’t even out over the course of a season, because they don’t come about with a regular frequency and the sample size is too small.

These are the kinds of losses that you are kicking yourselves over in September when the playoff races are closer than they really should have been.

The usual people will come out tonight and try to brush this off as “just one game” and “it’s only June” and “how can you expect them to go 162-0″ but it’s hard to ignore that this is happening quite a bit with this team.

If you go through this year’s results, you can find at least 6 or 7 games in which they lost by 1 or 2 runs but totally spit the bit with runners on base. That’s a LOT of games.

It’s a shame too, because on paper this is a very talented bunch of hitters. However, when you have total give away games offensively like tonight, you give yourself no chance to win the game even if you get a good pitching performance. The Yankees deserve to be 5+ games ahead of Boston right now, but they aren’t, and they’re going to wish they didn’t blow these opportunities early on. Hard to take even a mental victory out of a game like this at the plate.

271. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

We need to be like the Cubs and play day games whenever possible. Can’t ignore the 17-3 day game record.

272. first time lawng time says:

I wonder what would have happened if Swish didn’t make that dumb play.

Players on the team that I hate right now:
    Swisher
    Gardner
    Cano
    Arod
    Cervelli
    Jeter

Players I like:
    AJ

Players I’m indifferent to:
    everyone else.

273. Cuso says:

In case I haven’t said this before, Nick Swisher absolutely sucks..

• JohnnyC says:

We knew he was below average before this season but, good lord, he’s craptastic now. Diving for balls that a decent outfielder would get to without breaking stride. He’s a zero sum player now — what little he contributes offensively (and we’re talking meager), he obliterates with his alarming lack of range and pop-gun arm.

• CMP says:

I can’t believe he has a UZR/150 of 6.3 this year though it’s probably SSS rearing its ugly head again as he’s seemed to be pretty shitty in the field this year.

Girardi must agree with all the late game defensive substitutions he’s made for him too.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Wait … Swisher was below average before this season? You’ve gotta be kidding me.

274. King George says:

Time to face a potentially grim reality…

Possible DL when we wake up tomorrow:

Hughes
    Feliciano
    Soriano
    Joba
    Colon
    Jeter
    Martin

Yikes.

• mt says:

Let’s hope they DL Martin.

Even if they call up Montero, I am sure Andrus and Borbon can’t wait to get here.

• Karl Krawfid says:

Borbon is in AAA

• King George says:

Montero isn’t even a guarantee, especially if those Gustavo Molina rumors are true. That DL is downright tough to look at. No two ways about it.

• Matt says:

I’m sure they’d be even more excited if Francisco Cervelli was behind the plate again.

They have very little to lose by giving Montero a few weeks to adjust to some major league pitching. They’ll probably call him up eventually anyway, whether in September or now, so it won’t really affect his service time a ton.

Unless they plan on trading him and wish to keep him down in AAA to inflate his value in case he struggles, it’s only hurting the ML club to keep him in AAA.

• JohnnyC says:

But if they’re trading Montero, it would have to be a blockbuster at least on the level of the Cliff Lee deal. Otherwise, Cashman looks like a desperate idiot. King Felix? That’s unlikely to say the least.

275. JohnnyC says:

Girardi trying to defend Gardner. Why not just be honest and say it was a really stupid play? Gardner’s a big boy. I’m sure he knows he fucked up royally.

276. first time lawng time says:

I know I defended Jeter above, but I take it back.

He and Swisher suck. What value do they provide for the team?

277. Guy Montag says:

I think we can win the first two vs Texas. CC vs Ogando. We got to Ogando last time we faced him. Then it’s Derek Holland vs Nova. We always destroy Holland and Nova had his best game vs Texas. 3rd game with CJ vs Noesi will be the tough one to win.