Jun

Open Thread: Moneyball

So apparently they finally did go ahead and turn Michael Lewis’ Moneyball into a movie. I remember hearing that the idea got shelved a few times before I stopped caring (not that I did much in the first place), but apparently it got the green light at some point and there’s a trailer. I dunno, seems a little too dramatic for me. Slow motion bat flips after drawing a walk? Magic Scott Hatteberg homers? And is that David Justice playing himself? I don’t know about you guys, but I’ll stick this one in the Netflix queue rather than run out and go see in theatres. I suspect the book will be far better than film, which is usually the case.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. The Mets are at home playing the Angels (Pineiro vs. Capuano) plus the MLB Network will carry a game (teams depend on where you live). It’s Friday night though, I suggest getting the hell out of the house. Use this thread to talk about whatever you want in the meantime.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bakekrukow412 says:

I like the “Buy the best players” philosophy much better than Moneyball. Makes the offseason and trade deadline much more entertaining ;)

2. But Billy Beane invented sabrmetrics!!!

/Cowherd’d

3. Jeff in LA says:

I’m sure that the scouting community will love being portrayed as dotering old men who rate players by how hot their girlfriends are.

• Steve S. says:

That’s often the problem with Hollywood. Its heavy on the narrative, white hats vs black hats, and light on nuance, or even just the facts. I bet they don’t even get the SABR stuff remotely correct.

I’m with Mike, I’ll wait for Netflix.

4. bexarama says:

I think I’m the only one who really wants to see Moneyball. It’s dramatic in the trailer, sure, but most movie people aren’t baseball nerds like all of us ;P

• Operation Slade says:

I want to see it, I loved the book and actually the book Theology is another good baseball read too. I know its about Epstein and all but actually I found it a good read.

• JCK says:

I’ll see it because Aaron Sorkin can (usually) write really well.

But the old-man scouts scene did seem like a bit much…

5. BigBlueAL says:

Im sure “Moneyball” wont top “Major League” as greatest baseball movie ever.

• Steve S. says:

I doubt Susan Sarandon will be nailing Beane, Podesta and getting Ricchardi to bust out of his slump. If for no other reason, she must be pushing 65 and might break a hip.

6. Kiersten says:

Jonah Hill? That’s hilarious. Would not have called that one.

7. Kiersten says:

And no, this guy is playing David Justice. That’s raycess.

Here’s Jorge Posada.

8. Berk says:

It looks good….I can’t wait for the part where Derek Jeter crushes their dreams with The Flip, and then we sign their best player, who is then later revealed to be a steroid user, and then they suck again. What…you don’t think they’ll show that part?

• JohnnyC says:

Can’t think of another instance of a general manager who gets a piece of the team for not winning the World Series. Cashman should have his agent look into that.

• bexarama says:

I know you’re kidding but I read what was supposedly the script, and the part about the Yankees signing Giambi is pretty huge actually.

• Esteban says:

And then they can show how teams like the Red Sox adopted similar strategies and it worked and they won.

9. Bryan says:

Look’s kinda dramatic, but when are trailers not?

I’ll probably go see it in theaters. Feels like it’s worth it.

10. Crime Dog says:

Why is DePodesta’s name not in the movie?

11. My former high school was in the news today, the class of 2011 did their senior prank, then all hell brook loose. Students through bottles out of windows and fights broke out in the cafeteria. 20 or so students received citations, can’t walk at graduation, and have to take finals in September. Ouch.

12. vinny-b says:

and they still didn’t win a Championship.

sabrametics, like anything else in life can be taken too far.

_

13. Royce Clayton is playing Miguel Tejada.

Something is hilarious about that, and I’m not sure what it is.

14. Brooklyn Ed says:

soo hmm, Jeff Keppinger is back out in the trade market. Last season, he was close to being traded to the Yanks. I wonder if Cashman will go after him again, or fine with Nunez/Pena?

15. Bones says:

Mitchell out after 2 IP. Anyone know why?

• Mike Axisa says:

Got hit around, threw a lot of pitches.

• boogie down says:

His line: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K.

I’m willing to bet his performance led to him throwing a bunch of pitches, and the combination of the two, especially at this early juncture, forced the manager’s hand.

16. Drew says:

I have never seen Billy Beane before in my life, but I can assure everyone that he does not look like Brad Pitt.

17. Looks like you can take the pitcher out of Toronto, but you can’t take the Toronto out of the pitcher. Marcum got slapped around.

18. jay h says:

crawford leaves game with strained hamstring.

19. Monteroisdinero says:

So Freddy G. gave us 7 decent innings today. Other than his Boston start when he was taken out early I think he has given us 6 or more innings in every start (I could be wrong on that). Not as good as Bartolo but we should be happy with what he has given us in 2011.

He’s now made 12 starts, and he’s pitched at least six full innings in 9 of them. He’s allowed 3 runs or fewer in 8 of those 9 starts.

Do I want Freddy Garcia starting a postseason game? No. Does Freddy Garcia need to be assassinated immediately, like several commenters suggest? No, he’s been eminently useful.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Favorite Freddy Garcia comment:

• mbonzo says:

I’ve been surprised how well he’s pitched, especially over the last month. I’m waiting for his LOB% to return to earth, or for his ERA to close in on his FIP, but his run won’t stop. I know to expect quality starts from the guy, but the Yankees still need to scout a replacement, because his stats are saying he’s gonna hit a brick wall soon and just fall off the horse. Thats not something I want to happen when the race tightens up in August.

• Monteroisdinero says:

3.63 era is pretty good regardless of what you think of his stuff.

He also executed 2 sac bunts in one game (today). This is impressive too for a guy with very few abs all these years. Of course Davis has got to be one of the easiest pitchers to bunt on.

I do think it is a better play to have him square and pull the bat back at the last second and let Gardy attempt a steal and then bunt him to third but Joe played it station to station early in the game. I have little faith in Nick (2-27risp) Swisher getting a hit to drive Gardy in in that situation but a grounder or sac fly is not unreasonable to expect.

• JohnnyC says:

That would work but Gardner very rarely runs on the first pitch. You end up just wasting a strike on the bunter. Then the opposing team can pitch out at least twice.

• Monteroisdinero says:

This must be fixed. If Gardner is on his own, we need to take that option away. Same goes for when Jeter bats second behind him. Have to at least have a hit and run on to stay out of the gidp with the Captain.

Come on Joe-think outside the Chalupa!

• JohnnyC says:

For better or worse, Joe’s pretty tolerant as a manager and gives his players free rein. He even tried to defend Gardner bunting that third strike on Monday. Said he’s 1 for 2 trying that and he’d take 50% success rate. He’s not Billy Martin for sure.

• Steve S. says:

I’m old enough to remember Martin, and people would probably view him differently if they saw him in action. He made Ozzie Guillen look like a timid wallflower. He fell in love with certain relievers and doghouse that was almost impossible to break out of. He wore out his best pitchers, might have ended Catfish’s career. I loved Billy, but he was a short term fix that always ended badly, on and off the field.

• Pat D says:

Always gotta look at what happened to the guys he had in Oakland.

Still doesn’t change the fact that he won everywhere he went. He’s also probably better than a few managers in the HOF currently *cough*WhiteyHerzog*cough*

• FIPster Doofus says:

Bingo.

• JohnnyC says:

So we wait until the post-season and then assassinate him? Sounds like a plan.

20. Jake H says:

Only book I could never get thru and I read 60 books a year.

• Esteban says:

I’m very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

• JohnnyC says:

You can get the audio book. I believe they hired Lady Gaga to read it. I know, Michael Lewis doesn’t sound anything like her but, hey we’re trying to sell books here.

21. Tom Swift says:

Mason Williams is 2 for 2. HR and double.

22. Shocking Meat says:

The Curious Case of Billy Beane?

23. Pants Lendleton says:

i visted Nomaas for the first time since the end of 2009 season , that place is not as funny as it used to be (when they actually had phb.bb forums).

Seems like those guys are butthurt over this blog surpassing that one.

• Pat D says:

Their content has regressed severely since about that time. The only thing they’ve been able to do of any significance is land some interviews with prospects and f.o. types, but that’s about it.

And their comment section is just the very definition of the cesspool of the internet. People pretending to be tsjc and bex, people pretending to be Mike, Ben and Joe. The newest thing I noticed is a healthy amount of anti-semitism directed at Ben. It’s disgusting.

24. Bpdelia says:

Very few movies better than the book.

some huge exceptions?

Jaws
    2001
    Goodfellas
    The godfather
    Fighy club (the final scene with the pixies song where is my mind clinches this one.)
    The shining.

25. Reggie C. says:

Well , Cashman apparently spoke: http://www.fannation.com/truth.....ref=fromSI

Not sure if anything was taken out of context or if there was more to what he said, but Cashman appears to be ready to deal. Can’t help but feel that there’s ONLY a 50/50 shot Montero debuts in pinstripes. I mean, we know Cash has put Montero on the line for Cliff Lee.

Since names like Jered Weaver are only suspected to be available, there’s no point in getting too excited over the statement.

26. Greg says:

Just saw this name up for discussion:

Michael Cuddyer?

27. IRF says:

So Cito Culver wears number 2. I hope he doesn’t plan on keeping that his whole career.

28. Mister Delaware says:

JH: “Hey, Billy, let’s fill up these empty laundry detergent bottles with beer.”

BP: “No, I’d rather go scout guys who like to take walks.”

JH: “Ok.”

29. Pat D says:

Saw this trailer today when I saw Green Lantern. Actually thought it looked interesting enough to go see it in a theater, but it really depends on when it’s released more than anything else.

What I find interesting is that looking at the IMDB page for the movie, I don’t see anyone credited as Jason Giambi, so this must just focus on the 2002 season, when they had the big winning streak. I’m disappointed because I thought Nick Swisher would figure into this at some point. Can’t understand why someone is playing Jorge, but like someone else said I can only figure that they’re going to show the tag at home plate in non-archive footage or something.

• Skye says:

I was curious about that, too. The A’s scouting Swisher is a pretty big deal in the book, and that whole scene where they’re waiting to see if he falls to them in the draft seemed pretty important.