Jun

Saying the Right Thing, Part 1

You should have swung at that, Grandy. See guys? He sucks.

Now that we’re a good ways into the season, the excitement of baseball has faded away into the grind that is rooting for the team that you love. It’s hard to watch guys play a sport where, for hitters, they will only be successful 30% of the time and for pitchers, they’ll usually give up a couple of runs and get in and out of trouble. After the second or so week of the season, this ceases to be entertaining and it’s time to start complaining about everything.

Now, a successful team like the Yankees always has a lot going wrong with it. The pitching might be bad, the bullpen might be bad, the hitting might be bad, and to top it off, the front office might be running the entire organization (most notably player development) into the ground. What’s more important than making sure you’re pointing out to everyone how bad the team is when you’re pointing out what. There are times when pointing out the flaws within the team makes you a good fan and times when it just makes you seem obnoxious and whiny. Timing, as they say, is everything. In this two-part series, I’ll cover what to complain about when you don’t know what to choose amidst the catastrophe that is a 39-29 record with a +89 run differential and a 3.56 team ERA.

The Lineup

The greatest thing about the lineup is that it changes a couple of times a week, and there’s almost always something wrong with it, even on good days. Complaining about the lineup works on any game day, and since lineups come out early, you can get a good head start on the whining. Anyone but Gardner leading off? It should obviously be Brett Gardner. Gardner leading off? Obviously he’s going to get caught stealing. Derek Jeter leading off is a great fallback but is obviously not applicable when he’s injured. Lineups also are also the first place you’ll see where the A-list players are getting a day off, and this is totally not okay. The only options should be a) Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, and Russell Martin never get a day off and never get injured or b) they are replaced with players who are as good as them. Anything else is worth talking about how bad the lineup is today. I’ll cover the B-listers in more detail below.

B-List Players

Eduardo Nunez, Ramiro Pena, Chris Dickerson, Andruw Jones, and Francisco Cervelli essentially make up the Yankees bench and get their fair share of starts. The problem is, none of these players are as good as who they’re replacing. If any of these players are in the starting lineup, sound the alarm, alert your friends, and start whining. If there’s more than one of them? Well, you could could complain for days and everyone would just keep on agreeing with you. It’s simply not acceptable that these very young (or in Jones’ case, slightly older) players perform at a lesser level than their A-list counterparts, many of which have collected awards for their offense and/or defense. Ramiro Pena, why are you not as good as Alex Rodriguez? Sheesh, he totally sucks. Eduardo Nunez, why do you not possess the skill and grace of Robinson Cano or the fielding, uh, prowess, of Derek Jeter? Come on guys. Seriously? And the last one….

Francisco Cervelli

The man gets a category all of his own. He can’t hit, he can’t catch, he can’t throw, he’s too enthusiastic, he’s annoying, he’s overplayed. Did I miss anything? Frankie is the ultimate great fallback punching bag for when everything seems to be going right. Even when he goes 2-for-3, he still makes two errors in the field, like he’s allowing the fans to have a place to focus all their rage. I think it’s really quite noble of him, to be honest. I don’t understand why we’re not blaming him for Montero playing every day in AAA and Martin’s back spasms, to be honest. I mean, we’re already getting on him for being in the lineup. So what’s one or two more things that he has absolutely no control over? He was probably getting everyone to lose to Doug Davis from the bench, even. At least he’s a better dresser than most of the Yankees.

Slumps

Both the fans and the players know that every player is expected to perform at his career numbers or better at all times. If there’s even the slightest hint of a slump – say, ten PAs or so – it’s time to start making people aware how bad this player is. And the worse the slump gets, the more vocal you can to become. Screaming your head off about Jorge Posada in late May? Totally acceptable. However, you have to be careful to quit complaining the moment they break out of the slump. Jorge Posada is now great. It might be a good time to start complaining about Russell Martin (before he can heat up) or Nick Swisher’s left side, where he is still struggling. Andruw Jones, despite his relatively few appearances, is also a great target for this complaining, though it’s only good to do this when he’s actually striking out playing.

Not Hitting Against Crappy Pitchers

Phil Humber. Carlos Carrasco. Doug Davis. Last year, it was Bryan Bullington and Josh Tomlin. I feel like I speak for everyone when I say it’s annoying that the whole lineup all decides at once to stop hitting against a particular pitcher, especially when it’s a bad one. These kind of decisions are made with absolutely no respect to the fans. Seriously, guys, if you’re not going to hit, can you at least decide not to hit against someone who is throwing well this year (like Alexi Ogando?). You had a perfect opportunity to go down without a peep and instead you whacked everything and decided to do nothing against Doug Davis. It’s obvious that the Yankees decide what games to hit in and what games to be put down in, and complaining about that choice is perfect when those quiet games are being played.

Not Hitting

When you have a lineup that contains names like Mark Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez, and Robinson Cano, you should score a billion runs every day. Never mind that getting on base 30% of the time is considered successful. That is stupid. Everyone should always get hits and runs. All the time. This is another great fallback complaint when Cervelli isn’t playing, because someone will probably go 0-for-4. If you’re lucky, there will be a few 0-fers that make for easy targets due to mass strikeouts or weak ground balls.

Tune in tomorrow for part two, featuring pitching and and the front office. I know you can barely hold your breath in excitement. One additional note: Ryan Dempster isn’t really that bad, so no complaining about not hitting against him. Complaining about not hitting in general is, of course, totally acceptable.

Categories : Whimsy

1. Ross in NJ says:

You forgot the worst (ok, not worse than Cervelli) one of all! The people who incessantly complain about people complaining ;)

• Skye says:

Seconded! :)

• MikeD says:

Stop complaining.

• Oliver says:

Lots of bitching about the quality of the weekend posts and an equal or greater amount of “defending”the site’s authors ability and personality.

I do not understand the “don’t like it don’t read it” suggestion every regular commenter is giving. It’s the same as telling me to ignore the homeless guy taking dump on the sidewalk in front of my office building.

Yes, the site is presented at no charge to the public, but that does not exclude it from criticism constructive or otherwise. This post, as well as others and comments made by authors and readers alike come across as sanctimonious and judgmental.

If someone is going to have a hard time accepting unflattering reviews then perhaps their decision to post their work on the Internet should be reconsidered.

2. Marty says:

I understand the point of this article, but it was probably the least enjoyable piece I have ever read on this site.

3. Mike says:

What’s the point of this article? To get us to stop complaining? To mock the complainers?

Sillyness. The weekend posts are getting worse and worse…

4. Bucket Cock says:

Wait wait wait. Is this sarcasm? I think the Yankees are actually pretty good.

5. Over/under: 2 innings until people start complaining that the Yankees haven’t put up a nine spot yet.

6. Steve H says:

Fantastic*.

*Except the Cervelli part, he deserves everything he gets

7. Man, I cannot wait until Montero comes up and doesn’t hit .300/.400/.500 in the first few weeks so I can bury that bored mother fucker.

8. Mike says:

Ya know…just because you think you’re “whimsy” doesn’t mean you actually are.

It’s painful how un-funny this post was.

9. Toasty says:

I’m getting awfully tired of weekend writers taking shots at Yankee fans complaining. I love this blog (and I rarely post comments), however this is a blatant shot at fans who don’t like the way the team is being run.

Get off the soapbox and get back to analysis. Whimsy or not this article was completely unnecessary.

• Mike says:

Exactly. The RAB writes genuinelly believe they’re smarter and their articles/Tweets are full of snark that it’s sickening.

Please, most of us are tired of these weekend writer posts that offer nothing but a failed attempt at humor.

• Mike Axisa says:

So don’t read. Do you want me to issue a refund?

• Toasty says:

Theres really no need to get testy Mike. I am making an observation and offering my opinion.

Thats a tremendous way to treat loyal readers as well. I’m sorry if I offended you but it’s how I feel.

Also, I could just write “fuck you” and be a douche like some of the commentors on here but I am offering a coherent response to a post I disagreed with. My bad.

• Slugger27 says:

::rolls eyes::

i liked the post, and am fine with the weekend writers, but the whole “refund” meme is lame.

guys on every blog rip ESPN guys for their opinions, rip newspaper columnists for their opinions… hell in one well-known case, an entire blog was made just for ripping other peoples opinions one sentence at a time.

if you put your opinion on the internet, you open yourself up to criticism. when you guys mock ESPN’s opinions, nobody says “hey axisa, go ask them for a refund”…

i dont agree with any of commenter mike’s 38 posts saying why the article sucks, but lets not stoop to the whole “do you want a refund” retort.

• Joel says:

Mike A: This blog, and its snark, is refreshing. I expect lots of the people who read it do so because of the style of humor that pervades here. Keep it up. Ignore the dummies. Anyone who gets offended by posts like this one needs to get a life and/or a sense of humor.

Anyone who got offended: Get a life and/or a sense of humor. This blog is not a democracy. People write for it as they see fit, and you have no say in that whatsoever. If you don’t like it then, as Mike said, you really should leave. It’s not for you. Go away and let those of us who have a perspective on this team/life (and probably know just as much or more about baseball) enjoy it.

• I love this blog (and I rarely post comments

I think I’ve seen this comment–or some variation thereof–more on one of these weekend posts than I have on all the other posts on this site combined. No judgment, just an observation.

• Toasty says:

Haha I see it a lot also. But I think I’ve made roughly 7 posts in the 3 years I’ve been reading. So in my case it’s fairly accurate.

• Sayid J. says:

Straight from the “About” section on the website: We write about the Yankees. . There are plenty of things relevant to the Yankees beyond analysis. I continually amazed at how many people spend their time reading articles they don’t like and then come here to complain about it. Get over it.

• Toasty says:

I actually give every post a chance. But I felt strongly enough about this one to comment on it. If you don’t like my comment, don’t respond.

/same logic’d

• this is a blatant shot at fans who don’t like the way the team is being run.

No, it’s not. It’s a blatant shot at fans who think perfection is a reasonable expectation. Gigantic difference.

I take issue with many of the things this team does, but I never once felt like I was being personally insulted by Hannah, because she’s clearly not talking about me, she’s talking about people who expect the Yankees to have a 25-man roster full of all-stars at all times and go 162-0 and who bitch and moan about the inevitabilities of life (like players needing rest or bench players having flaws or the Yankees losing to a pitcher/team they should theoretically beat).

If you felt personally insulted by this piece, you should look in the mirror, because you’re probably overreacting to trivial shit and complaining about shit you have no business complaining about.

• Toasty says:

‘If you felt personally insulted by this piece’

Where did I say that?

‘you’re probably overreacting to trivial shit and complaining about shit you have no business complaining about.’

Am I? Do I know you? And who’s business is it to complain? Yours?

• I didn’t say you personally felt insulted, Toasty.

I said (largely to everyone) IF you personally felt insulted by this piece, it means you probably are doing the dumb shit that Hannah is rightfully calling people out for doing, and you should stop it.

And Hannah is right, the complaining she lists above is dumb complaining that serves no purpose. You can’t just dismiss it as “well, you’re just complaining about complaining”, because that’s an oversimplification that loses all the nuance about Hannah’s point.

Hannah isn’t saying “Don’t complain about the Yankees, ever”, she’s saying “Don’t complain about dumb shit” and “Don’t complain about the unavoidable”. Those points both have validity.

• Toasty says:

You make some good points. However I still disagree with the overall tone of the article. Maybe it’s the sarcasm that gives it that ‘my shit doesn’t stink vibe’, I’m really not sure.

But what is completely clear is that we won’t agree.

So, agree to disagree?

/wheninrome’d

• I can totally get that. If Hannah had done the “stop complaining about this unavoidable shit” article in a straightforward manner instead of a snarky, sarcastic, satirical one, I bet many people would take less of an issue with it.

Snarkiness conveys an air of superiority that simple expository writing does not (even when it’s still expository writing directed to tell a certain group of people their actions are wrongheaded), so Hannah probably put herself behind the 8-ball with her style of writing choice.

• Toasty says:

It has this “haha I know more than you do” air to it.

I also inherently do not like being told what to do. So maybe that’s got something to do with it.

• Ridiculous Upside has got to be kidding me says:

Dude, you are such a homer. You obviously think you are the smartest, most intelligent dude on this board. And the way you police it around here with your belittling remarks all the time. These guys could write Peter Gammons type junk, and you will still scream how witty and awesome the post was.
        This post was written due to lack of anything better to write about, just a filler post. But tommythesmith….friggin loved it!

10. Sayid J. says:

I was going to write “Cue the ‘weekend writing sucks’ comments” but it looks like some people already got here. Here’s an idea: if you hate the weekend writing so much, avoid RAB for the weekend and don’t waste your time reading these ‘shitty’ articles. There are plenty of blogs that don’t do weekend updates at all, and if you pretend RAB is one of them maybe you’ll be a little bit happier. After all, it appears as if these articles really ruin some people’s day around here.

For me, I’ll continue to read these less serious, still enjoyable bits of writing.

11. Billy says:

If you take offense to this article, you’re probably who the article is referring to.

(I love it, by the way.)

12. Xstar7 says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I blame the weekend writers for the Yankees being the worst team in baseball.

13. Oh boy says:

Who complained about Grandy? Really? “See guys, he sucks????”
    People come to m.boards to converse with their fellow fans. I live far from NY and so I have no Yankee fans to talk to. I come here to get something off my chest or to share something. If we cannot express our true feelings about the team we root for, why would we come here? Why is it that some fans think that they have the blueprint to being the perfect fan. Who said one who bitches isnt a real fan? Cannot say anything on here for a few months of the season, because you are going to get ridiculed for small sample size and now this. Bitching about bitching isn’t cool either. Passionate fan is not necessarily the one with rose glasses on.
    At least we do not see the daily Randy Choate non-signing complaining anymore.
    The best part of the post are the pictures. WTF is Cano wearing? haha

• Esteban says:

No one is saying who the real fans are and aren’t. Being passionate doesn’t have to mean over the top complaining that so often occurs. As TSJC pointed out elsewhere, complaining about an inevitability (such as the Yankees losing a game they probably should have won, a good player ‘failing’ in the clutch, the bullpen blowing a lead)means your expectations are probably too high. It also doesn’t make you more passionate than someone that doesn’t complain about those things.

Moreover, you have all the right in the world to come here and complain about whatever you want regarding the Yankees, but then I can also point out why I think you’re wrong to complain about those things. RAB tends to attract commenters that frown on complaining too much, among other thing, and that is one of the reasons I like coming here. If you expect to come here and not be challenged on unrealistic expectations or saying a game is over in the second inning or various other things of that nature*, then you’re in for a surprise.

*This is a general ‘you’. I have no idea if you make comments like that.

14. Sam says:

Loved it. The Yankee fashion choices were … well, I don’t quite know how to choose a word to describe them. But they were something.

15. bexarama says:

wearing this: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix.....68x398.jpg
    to a Madonna concert? Alex is not even clutch when he is picking out his clothes.

16. Pat says:

Stop all the Cervelli hating already. He’s not as bad as that. When one of your favorites makes an error it’s OK. When one can’t get a hit for a few games then he’s in a little slump. But poor Cervelli can’t do anything right. And to pick on him for being enthusiastic is just plain petty. To say he’s annoying is rude. He’s young and it’s OK to be a little excited when you block the plate and keep a run from scoring, a few fist pumps are in order. Give the guy a break. Thank you, I’m done now.

• Slugger27 says:

i hate the guy, and im not afraid to say it. i hate both his performance and his antics. also, nobody gives a shit if its “rude” to say hes annoying. cash has stated why montero isnt up, and while i disagree with him, i can see where hes coming from. unfortunately for me (and anyone else that roots for the yankees) this means cervelli will keep getting playing time.

• bgeary says:

Dude. Cervelli is an awful player. I don’t dislike him personally, but there’s no reason for him to have a spot on the team. That’s just the truth.

17. Billy says:

I’m about to use the word “complain” about 30 times, but bare with me.

The people who say “People complaining about people that complain is even more annoying” are so far off. I mean, really. If you think that’s true, that just means you like reading complaints and reading about nitpicking, but then you get annoyed by someone trying to be positive.

18. Frankie Cervelli gets his own section, but Andruw Jones doesn’t?

You’re slipping, Ehrlich. Big time.

• Slugger27 says:

i was surprised the percentage points difference in run expectancy for bunts didnt get its own 3 paragraphs. then i read the last part and know ill have something to look forward to tomorrow.

if cervelli is worth his own section, no telling what hannah has in store for girardi.

19. Skye says:

I love that this post complaining about complainers has generated some much complaining. It’s like an infinity mirror, only with complaining.

For the record, I think this post was funny even though it’s mocking me to some extend. Doug Davis? I’m complaining about that whether Hannah approves or not. ;)

• Skye says:

er…to some extent.

• Steve H says:

Insert generic complaint about your typo here

Gotta keep that infinity mirror going afterall.

• Kiersten says:

I was going to say…

You can take this post and apply it to Hannah’s posts on RAB. RAB is a fantastic Yankee blog, best insight and analysis you can find, but one of the writers isn’t as insightful so omgz she sux lol whatevs. So blah blah blah complain complain no one with ponytails should write about baseball blah blah.

20. Mike HC says:

Regardless of what you think of the weekend writers, the one thing I think most of us can agree on, is that the comments section on their articles is usually pretty entertaining.

21. BigTimeBartolo says:

I laughed so hard when I saw those pics of AJ and Cano, What the hell were they thinking when they thought those shirts looked good hahaha. At least A-Rod has some swag, he can pull off the sweater vest + scarf combo like a boss

22. T-Dubs says:

People complaining about the anti-complaining post. Mmmm, that’s good.

/don’t understand they’re proving the point’d

• Slugger27 says:

heres the most hilarious part:

hannah’s post is actually one big mircocosm. technically, shes a “B-lister” on this very blog, with mike, joe, and ben being A-listers. clearly theres times when those guys need a break, and hannah comes in off the bench.

the people that would complain about pena playing when arod needs a day off are the same people complaining about hannah posting when mike needs a break or ben needs to study. whats amusing to me is none of them seem to appreciate the irony.

• Toasty says:

I’m not complaining about the Yankees. I’m disagreeing with the content/tone/attitude of a post.

Completely different things.

23. Nuke LaDoosh says:

As one who has to constantly tell a whiny complainer to STFU, I appreciated this article. The last time I was actually successful in getting him to STFU (right after the series against the Sox), I layed on that all he loves to do is Dish abuse. By whining to fellow Yankee fans, he is in fact hedging his bets so to speak. If the Yanks are going well, he can abuse Sox and Mets fans. When the Yanks are going poorly, he can abuse “his own”. He STFU now for a few days but I did get a meager attempt at whinyness posted on my FB page this morning.

24. The Upset Stomach of Kevin Youkilis says:

Don’t get the hate for this very clever piece of writing. Hannah rocks.

25. MikeD says:

I didn’t think the article was making fun of anyone, although I find it funny that some people think that it is! Nor do I think Hannah was writing about specific people. She’s pointing out something all fans do, although some are much worse than others. I have to admit. I don’t understand fans who complain about everything, always seeing the negative, even where none exists. It must be tough to live in that world.

• Slugger27 says:

its not tough for them. ’98, ’99, 2000, and 2009 were probably tough for them

• Toasty says:

I don’t think she is making fun of anyone either. I think that the sarcasm in the post gives it a snarky “I’m better than you” feel.

I know I’m repeating myself here but I feel that there was no need for it to be put forth that way.

IMO, a better approach would have been to have the article straightforward and reflective, rather than sarcastic and biting.

• Esteban says:

I disagree; I thought it was funny and made a point the way it is. Either way, Hannah got people talking.

• MikeD says:

I understand what you’re saying, but I’m pretty sure her post wasn’t meant as a snarky “I’m better than you.” Humor, poking fun at what we ALL do and feel as fans. Some are more vocal, too vocal.

The Cervelli one is funny because he does seem to generate a lot of hate now for a back-up catcher. I mean, come on, he’s the BACK-UP catcher. Yet, I’m not above it, at least the negative feelings toward him at times. I’m mystified by the guy. He was a better defensive catcher coming out of AA. He seems to be getting worse the more experience he gets. Yet I know in baseball that can all change on a dime.

• bexarama says:

Yeah, this. There are also people who aren’t around/have nothing to say when the Yankees go 6-1 against some pretty good teams, but they’re suddenly everywhere during a game like yesterday’s. Which, granted, sucked, but really.

I guess it’s just… it’s not so much here, but there are people who don’t seem to like anything about the Yankees. They don’t like the current players, they don’t like management, they don’t like the Stadium. They’re constantly calling guys like Jeter a “piece of shit” and all that. Why are you even a fan of this team? Go do something that makes you less angry.

/kinda-rant

• Esteban says:

I would like people to be consistent in and provide some evidence for their criticisms. For instance, after the Yankees lost the last game of the Rangers game, I remember someone saying the Yankees have the worst corner OFers in baseball, the next day, when Swisher and Gardner were instrumental in the Yankees winning, the same person was praising them. So: if you believe that Swisher and Gardner are the worst corner OFers in baseball, say that when they’re playing well, or at least provide some sort of evidence for that claim.

I’m using that example not necessarily to call out that person, but as the type of complaining and criticism that, in my opinion, is irrational and serves no purpose.

• Esteban says:

And I was mistaken about the what series that was. It was after the loss in the last game of the Indians series.

• Toasty says:

There is an ebb and flow to fandom. Extremes in one way or the other, however is not good.

Although that won’t change my dislike for Joe Girardi as the manager of this team.

Wait, I just expressed a negative opinion. OMG someone may disagree with it!

• Esteban says:

Extreme in thee positive? I am not aware of many people here, either the writers or commenters, saying that the Yankees, as a currently constructed, are the greatest team ever and have no flaws. Could you point some out? I provided an example of being extremely negative, and that was one of many examples.

• Toasty says:

It was merely a general statement about extremes either way. A centered, realistic pov is always the most logical.

• MikeD says:

Someone posted this a day or two ago and I checked to see if it was correct, which is was. According to FanGraphs, Brett Gardner is the best leftfielder in the AL and overall the second best in all of baseball. Yet people believe he’s not a MLB player. He’s a fifth OFer. These are the same people who are looking to improve the Yankees by fixing the OF. Yet Gardner is the best LFer in the AL. Granderson is the best CFer in the game right now. Even Nick Swisher in a down year is still way more productive than people realize and has a plus WAR. Overall, the Yankees have one of the best outfields in the game, yet there are many fans who don’t realize it. They would like to replace Gardner with David DeJesus, who is hitting in the .230s this year. I don’t get those fans.

• bexarama says:

These are grass-is-greener guys or just those who are super set in their ways about Gardner. Like, they think he has an ugly swing and doesn’t hit a lot of home runs so he can’t possibly be a good corner outfielder. Or Swisher hasn’t done well in the playoffs in the past so he is incredibly unclutch; get rid of him. Etc.

26. The Upset Stomach of Kevin Youkilis says:

Definition of being a fan: eternally fluctuating state of exhilaration and dyspepsia. Perhaps this is Hannah’s point.

27. Bernies house says:

I normally don’t comment, but since RAB has added Hannah I have dislike her articles alot. I know nobody forces me to read them but I did want it to be known that this is the article that set me over the top. I guess she thinks that she is above everyone and nobody else should complain or have an opinion. Thats it, I’ll stick to reading Mike, Joe and Ben’s work over this scrub.

28. RichYF says:

115 comments and not one “Did not read?” Wow. You’re slacking RAB.

29. I’m not the only one who thinks that this article had no air of superiority, right?

30. #24!!!! says:

Really funny article. Love the whimsy posts

31. CMP says:

Funny article by Hannah. If your not gonna write something informative, it’s always funny to stir up the hornet’s nest.

I agree with the commenters who said the people who complain about other’s complaining too much are probably worse than complainers themselves. After all, what do you expect people to comment on, how everything is just wonderful and awesome?

By the way, all the bitching about Cervelli is justified in my opinion because he’s just horrible. This season, he has -0.3 WAR which places him 78 among catchers and number 598 among all in MLB. The guy who pumps your gas probably couldn’t do much worse.

32. Icebird753 says:

Who honestly cares that they’ve been handled by a few mediocre pitchers? They’ve also knocked around some star pitchers this season, FYI. This team will be just fine; the season’s a long one.

33. pete says:

You know you’ve got a good blog going when posts like this (and the usual weekend posts), which are, almost objectively, much better than anything posted on ESPN, besides maybe the occasional KLaw scouting report, generates about 100 complaints.

It’s almost like peoples’ expectations are too high. Like they’re complaining about silly things like an article that was not to their fancy, or something.

34. Eduardo Nunez says:

“Never mind that getting on base 30% of the time is considered successful. That is stupid”

You saying my .293 On Base Percentage isn’t “successful”?

35. Stratman9652 says:

So, Mike can write up The Preemptive Airing of Grievances post pointing out the stupid shit we are bound to bitch about and everyone thinks its great, yet Hannah writes a piece on a similar topic and gets flamed? Does not compute. Both were excellent pieces by the way.

I’m starting to think (OK, I’ve been thinking it for a while now), that people will hate on the weekend writers simply because they are weekend writers.

Personally I love these pieces. There are only so many times you can crunch the same numbers and explain why player A is good or bad, or going to get better or worse. The whimsy articles provide some entertainment and yes ,filler, along the way. Keep up the great work.

36. FishJam says:

As a casual follower of this site, I don’t read every article. However, it seems almost every piece by Hannah is the same thing – over the top sarcasm directed at Yankee fans. It was a little “whimsy” the first time I read it but now it seems like overkill.

I don’t care for this type of writing but others may. My only recommendation is to mix it up. She is a skilled writer but please find a new topic.