Laird, Parraz have big days as SWB plays twoBy
Sorry folks, but eight games on a Saturday night are just way too many for a detailed recap…
- Triple-A Scranton Game One (win). Greg Golson, Terry Tiffee, and Brandon Laird each had two hits, and one of Laird’s was a double. Jordan Parraz had three hits including a double. D.J. Mitchell went the distance with seven scoreless innings, striking out five and walking just two. Still no Jesus Montero, he’s eligible to come off the disabled list on Monday.
- Triple-A Scranton Game Two (win). Jorge Vazquez doubled and Laird homered. Parraz had two more hits as well, dude’s on an absolute tear. Greg Smith put eleven men on base in four innings and allowed four runs.
- Double-A Trenton (loss). Melky Mesa was a triple shy of the cycle, and Jose Pirela also had two hits. Rob Lyerly doubled. Shaeffer Hall gave up three runs on seven hits in five innings, and Chase Whitely took the loss after surrendering two runs in as many innings. Alan Horne retired the two batters he faced. Austin Romine is away from the team temporary for the Futures Game.
- High-A Tampa Game One (win). Abe Almonte had two hits including a solo homer. Luke Murton and J.R. Murphy both had a pair of hits, and both of Murphy’s were two-baggers. Brett Marshall walked one and struck out six in five innings, giving up one run on just two hits. Dan Burawa and Ryan Flannery each cheaped in scoreless innings.
- Short Season Staten Island (won). Mason Williams and Cito Culver each went hitless, But Angelo Gumbs, Reymond Nunez, and Bobby Rinard each had two knocks. One of Gumbs’ was a triple. Bryan Mitchell struck out four in as many innings, allowing just one run. Brett Garritse and Ben Paullus each threw two scoreless, and Branden Pinder closed it out for save number six.
- Rookie GCL Yankees Game One (loss). Claudio Custodio had two hits including a double, Ravel Santana tripled, Tyler Austin had two singles, and Dante Bichette Jr. had a single and a walk. Evan Rutckyj allowed three runs in two innings yesterday, before the game was suspended. Graham Stoneburner threw 5.1 innings today, allowing six runs (four earned) with no walks, one strikeout, and a 10-3 GB/FB.
- Rookie GCL Yankees Game Two (loss). Custodio had a single and Austin had two. Bichette and Justin James both went hitless. Zach Varce pitched two scoreless as he works his way back from injury. Reynaldo Polanco followed him by allowing three runs (all unearned) in four innings.
Game two of High-A Tampa‘s doubleheader is tied at five and in extra innings. Here’s the box score. Low-A Charleston was rained out and will play two tomorrow.