Aug

2011 Draft: Yankees sign fifth rounder Greg Bird for $1.1M

Update (Aug. 15th): Via zoodig, the Yankees have inked Bird for $1.1M, which is some serious dough. It’s easily the most they’ve spent on a player this year, topping Jake Cave’s $825k bonus by more than 30%. They must really like his bat. Jim Callis confirmed the report, in case you wanted to see one of the regulars report it.

Original Post (Aug. 13th): Via Keith Law, the Yankees will sign fifth round pick Greg Bird to a signing bonus north of $1M. The exact amount is unknown, but KLaw says it’s in the seven figures. Baseball America (subs. req’d) says that Bird, a high school catcher/first baseman from the Denver area, “has good bat speed and gets plenty of loft and backspin on the ball” with his left-handed swing. He’s a big dude (6-foot-4, 210 lbs.), and is expected to wind up at first base. Bird was committed to Arkansas and his bonus will be the largest the Yankees have given out this year, surpassing the $750k they gave Dante Bichette Jr.

Categories : Asides

1. Pants Lendelton says:

Well damn !

2. Jeety says:

With Williams, Culver, Gumbs and Bichette’s early success… Im tempted to trust the Yankees judgment…

Besides get em signed and playing and some of them will probably work out

3. Tyrone Sharpton says:

What’s his ceiling Mike?

• Mike Axisa says:

All I know about the kid is what’s in the post. Lefty power is always a good thing though.

• Pants Lendelton says:

In this case … It’s a very significant thing since after Corban Joseph , this system doesn’t really have many left handed power bats in it.

• Howard Cosell says:

Mike in your opinion, IF his signing bonus is higher than Bichette does that mean that the Yankees she him as a better prospect than Bichette and basically they equated him to a first rounder?

Thanks
        HC

• Mike Axisa says:

Yes and no. The money usually tells you how much they like a player, but I don’t think it necessarily means they view him as a first rounder. I do think they like him more than Bichette, but perhaps believed they could get Bird in a later round than Bichette.

• Howard Cosell says:

Than I think what you’re saying is what I thought – that they think he has 1st round ability and skills and thus warrants the bonus of a 1st rounder. Otherwise it makes no sense giving 1st round money.

Net result: They scored big time( at this point) just like with Bettances by getting a first round/2nd round talent in the later rounds due to sign-ability.

So in my mind, This is the Yankees #1 pick at this point…..Bichette being their 2nd rounder.

HC

4. crawdaddie says:

Based on that bonus, I’m thinking they’re thinking of him being more than a first baseman.

• bonestock94 says:

Or a first baseman with the appropriate bat

• crawdaddie says:

Or trying him at catcher first.

• Charles says:

Do we really need more Catching prospects? Isn’t Montero/Sanchez/Romine enough?

• crawdaddie says:

Catching is a premium position. Bird is 4-5 years away. A lot can happen in that time frame. Players don’t make it, prospects traded and injured.

• JMK says:

Do we really need more Catching prospects?

Yes, all organizations do.

Isn’t Montero/Sanchez/Romine enough?

No. There’s a good shot Montero really isn’t a catcher; Sanchez doesn’t have a great defensive reputation, is large and is very far away from the big leagues. Romine may work out, but this is by no means a guarantee. What if he can’t hit a lick or his defense doesn’t adjust?

Remember when Texas had Salty, Max Ramirez, Taylor Teagarden, etc.?

• bonestock94 says:

Doubt it based on what BA says. If the position is already in question I’d bet they’re throwing the big bonus at him over the bat.

• crawdaddie says:

Yet, the Yankees announced his selection as a catcher.

• bonestock94 says:

I find it hard to believe that a 5th rounder is getting a big bonus for a skill set that has already been thrown into question. Agree to disagree I guess.

• Aman22 says:

They are drafting Greg purely on his bat. The kid can flat out rake. Pretty slow and not that good defensively. Also a great kid with an awesome family background

• thecapt says:

I know Greg personally and this is a good take. The kid can flat out hit the ball. Pitch it near the K zone and it has a chance of going yard every time. He was my son’s HS catcher and I see him as a DH/1st baseman. Great family and it has been a pleasure knowing him and I look forward to his success. Pure and simple, I was raised a Mets fan, but I’ll start rooting for Greg and the Yankees now!

5. Gonzo says:

This makes me wonder what they have up their sleeve for Monday.

6. mr.jigginz says:

Bird IS THE WORD…Dayummmm.

7. Tyrone Sharpton says:

“im back from the physical. I leave in a couple of days. Im hyped. Hows motor city?!” -Jake Cave’s Twitter

Looks like the Yankees keep getting quality talent! I ? Cave

8. Jim Penney says:

Youtube Greg Bird and check out some of the highlights of him. He looks like a man playing amongst a bunch of boys. I also think he looks a lot like Joe Mauer.

• Aman22 says:

Much better swing then Joe Mauer. Gets in a lot better posistions through out the swing and will provide a lot more power and consistency year in and year out.

• Stuckey says:

Uh, am I reading this right. Did you just write “much better swing” than the guy who hit .365/.444/.587.1.031 as a catcher a year and a 1/2 ago?

9. Jesse says:

Bird is the word.

10. Skip says:

I had my hopes set on Stafford. I guess we’ll find out soon enough why it didn’t work out.

11. Avi says:

Heyman reporting Pirates have signed Josh Bell. Don’t understand how the Yanks passed on him.

12. AWESOM-O says:

I liked this Bird blurb from BA:

“Bird hit .660 with 13 home runs as a junior and was even intentionally walked six times in one game. Grandview head coach Dean Adams said Bird is ‘by far the best hitter I have ever coached and seen’ and called him ‘a teaching tool for other kids’ because of how fundamentally sound he is.”

• MikeD says:

Obviously the Yankees agreed.

Interesting that he got $1.1 million. It takes leverage and a willingness to walk away. He must have had both and the Yankees must think highly enough of his talents that they didn’t want to lose him over a few hundred thousand.

• thecapt says:

I was at that game. Once was with the bases loaded. Sr yr he walked almost as many ab’s (at bats, not plate appearances). Teams were simply afraid to pitch to him. He was top 5-8 in the US in homers for HS soph-sr yrs. He’ll be worth the $

13. Nuke Ladoosh says: