Aug

Game 128: Delayed by Rain

(Photo Credit: Flickr user notladj via Creative Commons license)

Whoo-pee. The game isn’t going to start on time, because it’s raining. Which it will do all weekend. Also, apparently the Yankees talked to the Orioles about playing a doubleheader tomorrow, to get a bit ahead of the rain. The O’s reportedly refused. I get why they wouldn’t want to help the Yanks, but why not be a bit more accommodating when there is a known weather issue in the area? I guess you can be a dick when the games are meaningless to you.

(May the Orioles have many more meaningless games in their future.)

In good news, A-Rod is tentatively in the lineup, though he has to get through a pre-game workout. I haven’t seen anything that suggests he’s been removed, so it looks like he’ll actually play today.

Lineup:

1. Derek Jeter, DH
2. Curtis Granderson, CF
3. Mark Teixeira, 1B
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
5. Robinson Cano, 2B
6. Nick Swisher, RF
7. Russell Martin, C
8. Eduardo Nunez, SS
9. Brett Gardner, LF

And on the mound, number sixty-five, Phil Hughes.

Categories : Game Threads

1. V says:

All the Orioles have to play for is revenue, and Yankee games provide that revenue.

If the Orioles refuse to accomodate the Yankees, agree to make up the game the day after the season ‘ends’. Given that the game will likely be completely meaningless, start the non-playoffs bench players (and let it leak to the media that you intend on playing bench players). No revenue for the Orioles.

• Kostas says:

Or, if you wait until the season is over, just forfeit the games, not sure if that is possible, then there is no revenue… games will be meaningless anyway.

• Jetrer says:

if the game was completely meaningless at that point, I don’t think it would be played at all
      This really makes no sense for Baltimore. Playing 2 on Friday is their best chance to get the added revenue.

• Charles says:

Makes sense from a Revenue standpoint, last minute change on a friday means that less people come to the day game, more night games on weekends=more profit.

• Both teams have mutual off days scheduled for back-to-back Thursdays, September 8th and September 15th.

September 8th is a dead day in a Orioles road trip between New York and Toronto. For the Yankees, it’s a traveling day ending a homestand against the Orioles and heading west to Anaheim.

September 15th is a dead day in an Orioles homestand between the Rays and Angels. For the Yankees, it’s in the middle of a roadtrip coming back from Seattle going to Toronto.

The O’s would obviously prefer the September 15th date to fill in the dead day on the homestand, but that first date isn’t ornerous for either club; the Yankees will be home the day before and are scheduled to fly west the day after; the O’s are on the road but it’s an east coast roadie anyway, it’s doable.

• Kiko Jones says:

All good options in my book. Spiteful, yes, but if the O’s are being dicks, fuck ‘em.

2. Tom Zig says:

May Brian Matusz never regain his fastball.
    May Peter Angelos turn into Al Davis and own the Orioles forever.

• Kostas says:

Think Angelos is on his way. He is the greatest asset to the other teams in the AL East just as Davis is the greatest asset to the Chargers, Broncos, and Chiefs.

3. mike_h says:

anyword on start time??

4. Tom Zig says:

It’s really annoying how the Yankees give the courtesy of an early game on getaway day but most other teams do not return the favor for the Yankees.

5. UncleArgyle says:

Give the O’s a break. One of their broadcasters (Mike Flanagan) literally just offed himself over the teams crappy play. I mean can you get any lower as a Franchise? That has to be rock bottom, right? And I say this with all due respect to the family of Mike Flanagan, really sad stuff.

• jsbrendog says:

how is this related to denying a doubleheader that was requested not because theyankees want it but because if they dont the game has a 75-90% chance of not being played?

• UncleArgyle says:

Its probably not related….I was just saying “Give the O’s a Break”….on wishing them ‘many more meaningless games in their future’ because a beloved member of their organization just died. Pretty straight forward I thought

• I mean this respectfully, but don’t oversimplify something that would cause a (reported) suicide. Depression is a hell of a mental illness, it’s irrational, and while the given reason may be crappy play, it speaks of much larger underlying issues.

What a depressing story. I live in the Baltimore area, people are really shaken up over this.

• nsalem says:

Why would you say he committed suicide over the teams crappy play. Was this something you read or an attempt at humor?

• DERP says:

Supposedly all the losses that the Orioles picked up when he was GM were really hard on him. Not saying that had anything to do with his death though.

• WBAL:

Flanagan took his life “despondent over what he considered a false perception from a community he loved of his role in the team’s prolonged failure.”

• UncleArgyle says:

No It wasn’t an attempt at humor. The initial reports mentioned that all the Orioles losses played a role in Flanagans depression. It was an honest question. Can the Orioles franchise go any lower, or is this rock bottom. I can’t imagine it getting much worse personally.

• “One of their broadcasters (Mike Flanagan) literally just offed himself over the teams crappy play.” is an extremely tactless and fairly incorrect way of saying that “The initial reports mentioned that all the Orioles losses played a role in Flanagans depression.”.

It was the blunt and conflated way you worded your initial post that drew criticism. Mike Flanagan suffered from depression which probably played a role in his suicide, and the criticism he took while GM of the team (not the losses themselves, mind you, the criticism) is believed to have played a role in the depression.

It’s much more nuanced than the “The Orioles keep losing so Flanagan killed himself” statement that you made, and now’s probably not the best time to bring it up anyway.

• Pat D says:

Not sensing tact is a strong point of yours.

I mean, even if that’s what happened, it doesn’t need to be said in this context or forum.

• UncleArgyle says:

Relax my friend. If you read my comments I’m pretty sure that you’ll be able to tell I’m not making fun of suicide, or depression, or Irish people, or whatever else someone wants to read into it.

• Pat D says:

I know you didn’t mean anything by it. What I’m saying is that it didn’t need to be said.

• UncleArgyle says:

I was just saying that today might not be the best day to wish ill will on the Orioles franchise. But I hear what your saying. Believe me, I get now that this forum wasn’t the place to mention this.

6. James A says:

Not to be a Dotf spoiler, but I hope nobody was too excited about Marte pulling a 2009, his line wasn’t very pretty. Feliciano had a solid inning however, still unlikely he gets back though

7. Kiersten says:

If baseball players weren’t such wusses they would play through the hurricane.

- Football fans

8. CP says:

The Yankees currently have 4 days off scheduled before the first ALDS game: Sept 8, 15, 28 and 29. The two in-season off days are at either end of a west coast road trip.

If they lose three games over the weekend (as I would expect), how on earth would they make them up?

9. Mojo says:

I didn’t read it, only saw the headline on ESPN’s front page, but apparently Nolan’s worried about his starters being fatigued? Does this provide even more incentive to take the wildcard? Although I’d seriously hate giving way to the Sox and granting the scum bags first place, if that statement holds any merit, I do believe the Rangers may not be so bad after all . . . The only problem being, however, should the Rangers be beaten, we’d still have to worry (in all probability) about Boston.

• boogie down says:

I honestly think we should simply play to the best of our abilities and have confidence in our team, no matter whom we face. You don’t play as well as we have for as long as we have without being able to succeed against top-tier competition, even otherworldly CYA-winning/possible-MVP pitchers.

• Pat D says:

If he’s so concerned about them being fatigued, maybe he should put them back on pitch counts.

10. boogie down says:

Since it’s always sunny in Philadelphia, they should have no problem getting this one in.

And, to use another TV reference, I want #65 to be so dominant that the A’s are left muttering, “Fuck HUGH(es), fuck HUGH(es).”

11. Watching the rain delay Hope Week programming:

Apparently, A.J. Burnett’s sons take lessons on him in the field of “How to style your hair without styling your hair”.

• Pat D says:

But isn’t that the style now? The “I just fell out of bed and so my hair naturally looks this way” style.

I blame Robert Pattinson for that shit.

12. Billy Pilgrim says:

I think Hughes will continue to show that he is our #2 starter. Colon is wearing down, Freddy went on the DL, AJ sucks, so Hughes has stepped into that #2 starter role.

CC
    Hughes
    Nova
    Garcia

Can we win with this rotation in the playoffs? The offense will have to do better than they have the past 2 days- 3 lead off doubles, 0 runs scored.

• I think in the future Hughes could be > Nova, but this year, I’d have a hard time not starting Nova in the 2 slot.

Garcia’s coming back on Saturday, no reason to believe the DL stint is cause for long term alarm.

• Dan says:

I agree that Nova should be ahead of Hughes and in a 7 game series I might want Garcia pitching Game 3 to line him up to pitch game 7 because I would not want to start Hughes in a big game so I could even see moving Hughes to game 4. In the first round though I would put Hughes at Game 3

• theyankeewarrior says:

LOL

13. DERP says:

tentative start time of 2:30

14. Pat D says:

2:30 according to LoHud.

15. pat says:

Pulling the tarp off.

16. pat says:

Lol, putting the tarp back on.

17. Rainbow Connection says:

Why is the game still delayed when hasn’t really rained since 12:30?

18. Kevin says:

Bottom line, the O’s know they’re out of it..so Angelos goal is to screw over the Yanks in any way he can.

19. Greg says:

For the most part, basic A’s baseball, soft single, steal, sac bunt

20. steve s says:

I’m sure there are a few out there in RAB land that are holding tickets for some or all of the Balt series (and, perhaps unrefundable, hotel reservations) who are feeling pretty miserable right about now. On a personal level would like to have seen a Friday DH in order test Stub Hub’s “Fan Protect” Guarantee policy which promises a full refund for events cancelled and that don’t occur on a “later” date (my interpretation being that scheduling a cancelled game for an “earlier” date would entitle you to a refund). Oh well.

• Jetrer says:

I’ve got tickets for Friday and both games Saturday. Friday should be OK, but Saturday isn’t looking so good. Then drive back to CT during hurricane on Sunday.
      Fun is.

• steve s says:

What is spooking me into not going (I have tickets for both Sat games) is that the Inner Harbor flooded during the last hurricane that had a similar path to Irene so the thought of seeing my car floating away in the Bay is enough to give me pause. Good luck on your trip home.

21. CBean says:

Listening to Sterling as I’m at work. So far he’s called Weeks caught stealing and then retracted, Matsui struck out, and then retracted… this is going to be a long game.

22. Mister Delaware says:

Dear Santa,

I’ve been extra good this year. What I want more than anything is a reliable putaway pitch because I think it would help me and …

23. Cuso says:

Hughes has reverted to strike-two-and-a-half form

24. Eh. Weak single, bunt, flyout, strikeout. Could be worse.

Would have much preferred that flyout on 3-4 pitches, not 50.

25. Greg says:

He is on FIIIIIIIIIIIRE

26. teddy says:

nice jeter, can yanks get him in

27. Chip says:

Man, I’ve missed that swing

28. Urban says:

Jeter haters still around or have they moved on to AJ?

29. CBean says:

Get Jeter home, Grandyman.

30. MannyGeee says:

wow, Jeter is monsterous. lets see if we can drive him home.

31. dkidd says:

what is jeter batting since coming off the dl? has to be like .350

32. nsalem says:

Rickey says “Rickey is impressed”

33. Cuso says:

Man, that Derek Jeter guy isn’t too good, huh?

34. Greg says:

Too many K’s

35. teddy says:

unbelieveable, thats what a strikeout pitch, too bad hughes will never have one again

• NJ_Andy says:

Absolutely right. Good point. He hasn’t had any strikeouts since… last inning.

Honestly dude, give it a rest. One run on a soft hit, stolen base, sac bunt, sac fly? That’s not the worst thing in the world. Have some patience, see where the games goes. We’ve seen one inning out of Hughes.

Zen baseball, man. Zen baseball.

36. Chip says:

Granderson just seems off this series

37. Karl Krawfid says:

Great at bat from Granderson.

38. The Big City of Dreams says:

I guess I got my swagger back…truth

Signed
    The slap hitting short stop

39. MannyGeee says:

/smallball’d!

40. Greg says:

Tex picked up Grandy. Good job.

41. teddy says:

good job teix

42. Mojo says:

Haha. This team is so fu**ing pathetic. I swear, this season has been filled with more RISP failures and inabilities to put the ball in play with men on 2nd/3rd than any season of recent memory.

• Greg says:

YOu know they did get it done.

• Mojo says:

That was directed at the Grandy at-bat. I realize MT25 got the SF but I could also contend that he failed to get a hit and raise his pitiful average, but I won’t. 1 run a piece. Let’s hope that A-Rod annihilates.

• dkidd says:

that’s a phiction created by your phrontal lobe

• Jetrer says:

they were worse with RISP last year, worse in productive outs last year, and worse at getting run in from 3rd with < 2 outs last year

• CP says:

WTF is wrong with Hughes? He really needs to correct that .750 BABIP he’s sporting so far. I mean, the strike outs are nice, but if he can’t make the A’s hit the ball right at defenders, how can he be successful?

43. Good, the Yankees didn’t Phuck up this Golden Opportunity.

44. teddy says:

swung at ball 4,nasty splitter

45. Karl Krawfid says:

Everyone knew that pitch was coming.

46. wtf is this post says:

who cares??????????

47. 1. Major League
    2. Eight Men Out

(gap)

3. The Natural

(large gap)

4. Bull Durham
    5. Field of Dreams

48. teddy says:

not sure hughes should start when he has 1 good pitch

• Greg says:

He’s gotten 2 k’s looking but your point is taken to a degree.

• CP says:

Good thing he has more than that.

• jonathan says:

which pitch is that exactly? his fastball which he seems to have no idea where its going, his roll me up there curveball, his i am afraid to throw you change up, or the way to straight cutter.

• NJ_Andy says:

Query: What would everyone prefer from Hughes? An outing like this where he’s racking up the K’s, but has allowed a few runs or an outing like that last where he couldn’t fool anybody, but was able to keep getting weak contact?

I’m viewing this start as a plus going forward, honestly.

• theyankeewarrior says:

I don’t think he really has any good pitches.

49. Jesse says:

I’m still laughing at the umpire Phalling on that Week’s stolen base. Very phunny.

50. Greg says:

See that was a good pitch. Good hitting by DeJesus

51. Greg says:

That was a meatball.

52. jon says:

back the the hughes we all know

53. Mister Delaware says:

Does nobody ever show Swish video of his throws to get him to stop?

54. Jesse says:

Phil NEEDS to stop Phalling behind.

55. Billy Pilgrim says:

With #2 starters like Phil Hughes who needs bums like AJ Burnett? He’s just getting destroyed again by the As.

56. Karl Krawfid says:

Embarrassing.

57. King George says:

I think it’s safe to say the 2012 rotation will be better. Just a hunch.

58. teddy says:

hughes getting rocked because he has 1 good itched, his cutter,changeup and curveball are all awful pitches, accodring to fansgraph.

• Jetrer says:

that also includes the 3 starts in April when he was getting rocked pitching with a dead arm.
      Last 30 days fastball, cutter, and change all have above average values
      His fastball, cutter, and change were all above average last year
      Starters can certainly succeed with 3 above average pitches

• Frank says:

FANGRAPHS

59. Greg says:

Hey a swing and a miss.

60. Phillin’ up the K column.

61. Mojo says:

Hmm. Clearly someone does not have it today . . . Sweep City anyone? Phil needs a nickname that takes into account strikes of the contacted variety. Phoul Huge? I don’t know. Work with me people!

62. Dan says:

The problem with Hughes isn’t as much the lack of the strikeout, but his process for getting outs. He hardly ever gets quick outs. Every batter he has faced has seen at least 5 pitches except Crisp and the only reason he saw fewer was because he bunted. He should be nowhere near a playoff rotation because his stuff isn’t good enough this year. I would rather see him come out of the bullpen for an inning or two where he might be able to pump his fastball and cutter up a few MPH.

• Dan says:

This also leads to high pitch counts where he ends up barely being able to get through 4-5 innings as a starter.

• JohnnyC says:

It must be your cable package. Hughes has gone 6 or more innings in 5 of his last 6 starts including 7 and 2/3 his last start.

• jay h says:

shhhh, you’re ruining the narrative

• Dan says:

I have seen most of his recent starts, but I feel like this is more of the norm for Hughes because he still looks similar to how he looked at the beginning of the year, average fastball, average curve, below average cutter, bad changeup. He doesn’t have the pitches to be successful against good hitting teams. I would not want him starting a game against Texas, Detroit, or Boston in the postseason.

• Jetrer says:

Not to ruin your narrative, but his fastball has been well above average, eighth best among AL starters this year, and his cutter and changeup both had above average run values last year and last 30 days

• Dan says:

Show me where you saw that his fastball is 8th best because I am pretty sure I can name about 10 starters with much better fastballs without much effort. Maybe he just can’t pitch to Oakland, but outside of one start against a very beat up and fairly weak hitting Twins team he has looked mediocre against good teams. If the A’s can hit him around like this, he will not make it out of the 2nd or 3rd inning against playoff teams.

8th best in run value per 100 pitches
                Fangraphs, the stat is wFB/C (I used 50 innings min. because Hughes doesn’t have enough innings to be qualified)

• Dan says:

I’m also thinking after today Hughes might be a quite a few ticks lower. Just from the eye test you would be crazy to think that Hughes has a better fastball than CC, which I think was what you said below.

• Jetrer says:

more effective is what I think I said, or meant anyways, and purely statistically
                    Hughes fastball has been very effective, despite the lower velocity

he’s gone at least 6 innings in 5 of his last 6 starts

63. Chip says:

Just when you think he can’t get anybody out. He blows it by a few guys. Hopefully he settles down and can give us 6 yet

64. Frank says:

50+ pitches through 2 innings- not good.

65. Frank says:

Phil Hughes… from 95mph fastball, knockout curve, stud prospect in the minors to a junkballing failure. This kid has ZERO plus pitches. I’m not impressed with striking out a couple garbage A’s hitters. He’s shown no front-end potential his entire career. Back of the rotation junk or middle-inning reliever. Guaranteed.

I’m not sure why anyone is excited about what they see from him. The excuse since he came up was, “He’s only 21!” And then it’s, “He’s only 22! 23! 24….

Wake me up the next time the Yankees develop a legit, top-of-the-rotation starter.

• He’s only Twenty Phive, C’mon!

• teddy says:

he never was 95,

• Love the double standard.

He sucks against the A’s: OMG HE CANT GET ANYONE OUT
      He pitches well against the A’s: Dont give a shit, it’s the As.

I’ll let you keep sleeping, thanks.

• Nova doesn’t pitch well against the Royals, all be it in two games. But both of these guys will be Phine.

• JohnnyC says:

That’s the way fans roll. The people who don’t like Hughes will always qualify his good performance while the people who love AJ will always provide excuses for his poor performance.

• Frank says:

I’m just ready to admit Phil is a phailure. He’s a fastball, fastball, fastball guy right now…and even that pitch has dropped to 91mph. His curve has been garbage ever since it first saw a big league stadium.

zero plus pitches
      his Fastball value per 100 pitches is 0.96, which would be tied for 10th in AL among qualified starters, and is higher than any Yankees starter
      His fastball was also 8th best in AL among qualified starter last year
      He does have a plus pitch in his fastball, and his cutter and changeup have above average values except when he was pitching hurt in April

• Frank says:

It’s an 89-92mph meatball. It’s not better than CC’s fastball. Sorry. That’s nearly impossible to believe given his injury issues this season resulting in a drop in velocity and a career-low, 5% swinging strike rate. Well below average.

His fastball is down to 4.6 runs above average from 16.5 last year and 11.7 the year before. That drop looks more indicative of the year he’s having and his regression year after year after year after year…

• Jetrer says:

I’, not talking about velocity, I’m talking about run value, where Hughes fastball has been more effective than CC and 8th best in AL for starters
          You realize the 4.6, 16.5 and 11.7 are COUNTING STATS right, as in the more innings he gets, the higher the value goes. He has fewer innings this year than the last 2 years. His fastball value per 100 has gone from 1.27 in 2009(its higher because he was relieving most of that year), .88 last year, and .96 this year. CC, in comparison, last 3 years, .57, .42, .87
          There is plenty to criticize about Hughes, especially his performance today, but his fastball is legit effective, and more effective than most other starters

• theyankeewarrior says:

Give him time!!!!!!

He’s at LEAST 18 months from hitting free agency!

/GONNA BE A STAR ONE DAY’D

66. Let’s freak out some more about how much Hughes sucks!

67. teddy says:

that wasn’t a strike

68. Greg says:

I would take Harden for at least a month.

69. teddy says:

ump ruined this inning, too bad hughes can’t throw pitches like that

70. CP says:

71. MannyGeee says:

Wow, Martin is hitting the absolute cover off the ball as of late.

72. teddy says:

should be tied, if not for the ump, come on gardner

73. Chip says:

3-30? Definitely a grand slam here

74. jon says:

what the fuck happened to gardner

75. JohnnyC says:

Grit Gardner, on base machine.

76. Greg says:

That’s why I’m wary of Gardner at the leadoff spot.

77. teddy says:

pathetic,bench him

78. CP says:

Considering where we were in April, I find it amazing that I’m actually confident with Jeter up in this situation.

79. Karl Krawfid says:

More risp fail.

80. Mojo says:

Are we prepared to laugh/cry?

81. Jetrer says:

thats just all kinds of awful

82. Mojo says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Most PATHETIC series of the year. Yeah, I said it. DEAL WITH IT.

83. CBean says:

so much fail.

84. Did anyone else hear that Mike Flanagan’s death was a suicide?

/not using Ph due to respect

85. It’s refreshing to realize that as soon as the playoffs roll around, no one’s going to remember a frustrating August series against the As.

86. Greg says:

Just for the record. When was the last time that the Yankees were swept at home by a team

a) other than Boston
    b) under .500

87. Frank says:

Why am I not surprised Mr. Slappy popped up-again?

88. JohnnyC says:

It’s only August, fellas.

89. Chip says:

Ugh, I was definitely hoping for something other than that

90. Billy Pilgrim says:

Gardner’s been up in big spots the past two days and has managed to pop up both times. 3 lead off doubles, bases loaded 1 out, 0 runs. Doesn’t bode well for playoff baseball.

91. Karl Krawfid says:

56 pitches in 2 innings.

Philthy.

92. jon says:

gotta love being spanked by the 3rd worse offense in the league

93. Urban says:

Triple Header on Monday. I’m down for it. 10am, 3pm and 8pm start times!

94. Al says:

Good thing we dont have to see these guys in the playoffs… Weeks, Crisp, Sizemore, Allen…..

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Modern day murderers’ row

• Urban says:

Unfotunately, they’ve run across the A’s when they hot. It’s one of the reasons the Yankees record against teams like the A’s and Twins have been so amazing over the years. Figure there has to be a few times the opposition is just hot, or the Yankees pitchers being off, or a combo of both.

It’s only the third and Harden has not looked all that good.

95. I know I’m in the massive minority here, but I’m going to go out on a limb and be pleasantly surprised at the Ks.

96. Mister Delaware says:

That many people calling for help that quickly is scary.

97. JT says:

Is it possible to trade for Haren mid-game? That would kill 2 birds with one stone.

(And yes, of course I know it isn’t possible …)

98. teddy says:

another awful breaking pitch,reliever

99. Karl Krawfid says:

Turning this bullshit off.

Sick of this team right now.

100. Mister Delaware says:

Josh Willingham just hit that hard but Josh Willingham won’t be in the playoffs so that actually bodes well for the Yankees in the playoffs.

101. BABIP Gods are not being nice today.

102. Greg says:

Very Jekyll and Hyde start. Giving up a lot of contact but he has 5 k’s, three swinging.

103. Frank says:

Awesome fastball. That combination of velocity and pinpoint command makes it almost unhittable.

104. jay h says:

what’s the babip at now?

105. mike_h says:

need to keep Weeks off base

106. teddy says:

too bad the yankees have tanked with risp.phil isn’t good enough to start in the al east

107. Al says:

Phuck… Anyone still think Phil is #2?

108. Kevin says:

Is it bad to hope for a rain delay?

109. Kostas says:

good thing this series is basically meaningless because the Yankees just stink. Swept by Oakland was probably not on the radar.

110. mike_h says:

bullpen is gonna be a wreck, Hughes has 74 pitches in 2.2 IP and we have no off days and 5 games in 4 days

111. Kostas says:

wow 75 pitches in three innings. Hughes is officially back. Mr. 5 innings.

112. teddy says:

hughes has an option, use it

113. Cuso says:

Oakland’s building a fence in the Bronx

114. Mojo says:

Just when you think he’s back on track, he approaches 80 pitches in 3 innings . . .

115. teddy says:

this is what happens when you have 1pitch

116. Urban says:

I swear I think I just saw AJ doing a dance in the dugout!

117. Mister Delaware says:

I’d really like some hit f/x mph-off-the-bat numbers for today.

118. Greg says:

Every starter has had a bad start since the beginning of the KC series.

119. This is definitely a Phail for Phil. Maybe he just sucks against the A’s this year like Nova does with KC.

120. Rey22 says:

Yeah…I’m thinking our playoff rotation should be

CC
    CC
    CC
    CC

121. Kostas says:

Phil is a team player. He purposely pitched like he used to so AJ would not be the only pitcher who has talent but fails to use it.

Unbelieveable that the staff has looked so horrible after looking like they were all getting into a groove.

122. Al says:

If Yanks get swept here, the Fenway series maybe all they need to not win the division. What a weird year with all the pitchers going cold hot cold… the hope is they click in october, please baseball gods, please make it click in october.

123. jay h says:

Clearly Hughes sucks. I mean the 1.000 babip has nothing to do with it

124. Greg says:

And I oce agains begin to look for the inabilty of the Yankees to develop top line quality pitching.

125. Karl Krawfid says:

LMAO fuck this team

126. jon says:

well at least i dont have to watch the rest of the game

127. Mojo says:

Going into a double header this is EXACTLY what we needed. Good job, Phail, good job.

128. Amazing. The A’s are just locked in this week.

129. Mister Delaware says:

Girardi sucks so does Cory Wade what are you doing bringing him in there when you know you need to keep those runners from scoring if Drob pitched he gets a strikeout but no Girardi sucks so now we suck and will lose and this means we’ll also lose in the playoffs.

130. The Big City of Dreams says:

Smh Christ

131. MannyGeee says:

wow. Cory Wade just served up dinner

132. Greg says:

My goodness. Texas, Detroit and Boston fans are probably dancing for joy at the prospect of seeing this rotation.

133. So does Cory Wade suck now too?

134. jack says:

This idea that Hughes is anything more than an average, mediocre pitcher is fantasy. And he’s not even that at this point.

135. Frank says:

Thanks for coming Phil. Any “success” he’s had since coming off the DL has been smoke and mirrors. Anyone can see plain as day that he has absolutely NOTHING.

Thank God Cashman didn’t make a move at the deadline. This team’s pitching is so good. I mean, who wouldn’t want Freddy Garcia or Ivan Nova as their # 2 starter? There’s a reason the media keeps questioning their pitching. It’s only a matter of time before it comes back down to earth and we’re seeing it now. Bedard, Wandy, Harden >>> Hughes, Burnett, Nova.

This team is going nowhere in the playoffs. Nowhere. No pitching and no clutch hitting. It doesn’t matter who they play. First round exit.

136. bonestock94 says:

Blegh. Game over, TV off.

I hope they make this comment look dumb later, but I’m not holding my breath.

137. Mojo says:

Like I said for the past few days, it’s just one of THOSE weeks. I could feel then it and I can see it now.

• tom says:

It’s a Murphy’s Law series — key hitters in a slump, starters less the sterling, and no luck in BABIP on the Yankees side paired with exceptional such luck on the other side.

• MannyGeee says:

well, as far back as I can remember the Yankees have ALWAYS dropped a series (not a game, a SERIES) to either the Royals or Orioles in the middle of August. So this was not onlycompletely expected, it was well overdue.

138. theyankeewarrior says:

Phil Hughes. Ace in the making. Number 2 starter in October. Fastball command. Nasty curve. Changeup coming along well.

139. Urban says:

Memo to Hurricane Irene:

Please arive before the bottom of the fifth.

Signed,

Yankee Fans

140. Cuso says:

This is rather amusing.

This is more cannon-fodder for the idiots on Sirius/XM to go to town on.

And they were something awful today. Tomorrow – I can’t even imagine.

Dibble and Memolo suck.

141. Kostas says:

Valverde with no blown saves…. But Rays have runners at the corners with 1 out….

142. Billy Pilgrim says:

So now we’re down to this playoff rotation-

CC
    Nova
    Garcia
    Colon

That’s what we’ll have to go with, don’t have any other options unless we can swing a trade for Harden.

• Jetrer says:

If your giving up on a pitcher after one bad start shouldn’t the rotation be
      1) ummmmmm
      2) damn
      3)anyone
      4) you mean every pitcher has bad starts

• MannyGeee says:

butbutbutbutbut… The Yankees ROOOOOOIN’D every pitcher who’s ever been less than 40 yrs old!

They even pre-emptively roooooin’d Andrew Brackman down in Trenton and roooooooin’d Jesus Montero for merely throwing the baseball BACK to the mound…

sincerely,
        Karl Krawfid, Teddy, Al, BoneStock and everyone else who will be by tonight to tell us how much this team blows

• We’re not down to any playoff rotation, because it’s still August 25th.

Be patient. Tons of things can change between now and then.

• CP says:

Hughes will be in there too. One bad start doesn’t change that.

143. Kevin says:

We dserved to lose this series and all the mocking we’ll get from it. Just watch as Bosotn sweeps Oakland tommorrow and Saturday.

144. Al says:

IPK must be looking at Phil’s starts these days and thanking god for being traded out of organization which ruins every single pitcher they “develop”. CJ Wilson has never looked better….

• MannyGeee says:

srsly?

• Al says:

disagree? please enlighten

• MannyGeee says:

how have Hughes’ struggles or Joba’s injuries been the Org’s fault? dead arm/shoulder/something no one could find cannot be blamed on the org. and Joba’s injury history was well documented before the Yankees even drafted him.

So while the Joba rules were a stupid experiment at the time, the Yankees not being able to ‘develop’ 2 young pitchers in the past 15 years is an extremely small sample size.

IPK is possibly happy b/c he got traded to the NL West where he can be an ace…

• JohnnyC says:

Selective memory loss. It’s especially tragic in the young.

• Al says:

Sorry, I forgot how Phil dominated first half of 2010 and had a nohitter going in Texas when he pulled a hammy. Lets all pretend like Phil is a stud still, YES!

• Frank says:

No. The Yankees track record for developing starting pitching is beyond question.

• JohnnyC says:

CJ Wilson started 2 games against the A’s this year. He has a 6.78 ERA against them. He sucks. And I seriously question Texas’ ability to develop starters. Also, he’s 30 already. I say he’s a reliever.

145. bonestock94 says:

At least Andrew Miller is pitching for the sawks tonight, maybe they won’t gain a game.

146. Some Yankee fans are idiots.

Note: Still applies when you switch out any other team for Yankees.

147. Zach says:

Once again,the Yankees have shown what they do with starting pitchers. Destroy them. At least Ian Kennedy was able to get out before they could ruin him too.

148. Kostas says:

If it is still 7-1 by the 5th inning, does Joe pull the starters? Assume that Harden is on cruise control as he is now.

149. Alfred says:

Garcia becomes a key figure, if he comes back good, we’ll have CC/Nova/Garcia as 1-2-3 in the postseason rotation. The 4th starter can then be the hottest (or least cold) hand by the end of September on a very short leash.

Should Garcia falter, the rotation becomes very, very thin.

While not great, it’s doable with the bullpen and offense.

150. Kostas says:

Tex is going for the record of hitting the most HR’s and the most pop up outs that don’t leave the infield in one season… have to look that up.

#25 Pure dominance

151. JFH says:

I see all of the nattering nabobs of negativism are able to post during day games too. How nice.

• Zach says:

We’re about to get swept by one of the WORST teams in baseball. How are we supposed to be positive?

• You’re not supposed to be positive.

You’re also not supposed to be fatalistic. There’s a healthy middle ground there.

• JFH says:

I have witnessed 7 of the 27 championships in my lifetime. In only one year, 1998, do I remember dominating the whole year. To expect every series of every month to go our way, even against crap teams, is not realistic.

How can we stay positive?

It is August 25.

We are one of a handful of teams that will play baseball in October, thus we have something to look forward to.

Any team can get hot for a stretch, good or bad. That means we can still play well come October.

I am not supremely confident, nor am I despondent about the team. But, we do have a future this year, which is more than many teams can say.

• All of that.

How you can be positive: Getting swept by the A’s drops our record to 77-51, a .601 winning percentage. That’s a 97-win pace.

• Greg says:

I could mention the other team, but I wont.

I said this yesterday. I will be stunned beyond belief, happily, if this Yankee team wins the WS.

They have one top line pitcher and the other 4 are question marks.

They’re offense seems to have regressed, despite them leading in stolen bases, back to the 2005 form of hoping for the 3 run homer.

And now they’re bullpen is showing a little crack with the struggles of Logan, Soriano and Wade.

• JohnnyC says:

Or to put it another way, heed the advice of the great Tex Antoine.

• Mike Myers says:

you reached the max ammount of words starting with N.

Poor phil and his underbite….

• Nabobs: you win the thread.

152. Greg says:

I just remember Axisa tellig that the Red Sox have a tough schedule and we have an easy schedule so we can make some movement in the division. Wonder what he’s thinking now?

I know we lost 2 of 3 to the Nats in 2009. This is worse. We are being dominated and humiliated in every sense of the game by a team that is a bad team.

153. Sarah says:

I will take this pathetic series if it means the team is firing on all cylinders when they get to Boston next week. Also, it would be nice if Oakland could play like this in Boston.

154. MannyGeee says:

OK sun is out, time to start playing baseball!

155. jon says:

wow way to fuck that one up

its the immovable object vs unstoppable force

156. theyankeewarrior says:

Just wanted to touch on the whole Phil Hughes/negativity thing…

IMO, Phil Hughes is one of the biggest disappointments of the 2011 season. We’re talking about a player who most of us have been waiting on since 2004. So far, he’s had one solid season as a reliever, and one half of a solid season as a starter. That’s it.

This season has been a step back for him. Check that, 3 steps back. Phantom in jury. No consistant velocity/command, no improvement on secondary offerings. That’s basically the definition of raw awfulness.

The “kid” is all grown up now. He is only under team control for two more seasons. Next year, he will be on another innings limit. He has never actually gone out and thrown 200 innings, or even approached that number before.

For years, he was our gem. Our ace in the making. Our future stud. As of now, he is nothing.

That’s frustrating. Very frustrating. So when people start bashing him on here, it’s probably because they are sick of waiting for him to bloom. I know I am.

• yoo-boo says:

He got rocked badly for first time in last how many? games. He will be fine.

• theyankeewarrior says:

Fine isn’t what we are looking for. We’re looking for a front-end starter.

• Jetrer says:

so if he is only a mid-rotation starter he has no value???

• MannyGeee says:

nope… Sandy Koufax or bust.

• theyankeewarrior says:

He pitched like a solid mid-rotation starter for one half of one season so far.

He has a 7 ERA this year. Most starters in MLB have compiled a string of 8 starts where they have been effective. That doesn’t make him special.

Please don’t make this season out to be a “solid #3″ type of season. It hasn’t been that at all.

• Jetrer says:

I didn’t say that at all. He was hurt early, I’m not sure how that judging how he pitched while injured has any real relevance. And he pitched much better than mid-rotation first half last season.
              I’m not saying he’s been a solid 3 this year, I’m saying he still can be that, and that still has value, even if there is some disappointment that he didn’t become an ace.

• Phantom injury.

When countless other under-25 pitchers have had various arm problems (some of them obvious, some of them nebulous or phantom injuries) the year after seeing a big spike in innings, it’s powerful (if not scientific) evidence that innings jumps are hard on the arm.

Hughes’s dead arm may be a phantom injury to you, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a real ailment that affected his ability to perform this year and is due to an identifiable cause.

Hughes’s dead arm isn’t all that different from Pedro Feliciano’s bum elbow.

• MannyGeee says:

but the Yankees roooooin’d Hughes… the Mets ruined Feliciano… completely different situation.

• theyankeewarrior says:

You’re right in that his “injury” is nothing like a shoulder problem or a forearm thing, but it does show that he is not overly durable. He hasn’t shown that he’s the type of kid that can take the ball 30-35 times a year. Ever.

That’s not what we hoped for, and time is running out.

• And while his lack of durability is probably a Hughes thing and not a team thing, the team certainly hasn’t helped him with an innings-building regimen designed to prep his arm for multiple seasons as a permanent fixture in the rotation pitching 200+ innings.

• theyankeewarrior says:

Yup. Hughes is another example of a high-level prospect that the Yankees never turned into anything special.

The fuckin kid almost threw a no hitter in the desert when he was 21 and since then he hasn’t developed much at all.

Has his fastball improved? Command? Curve? Change? Anything? I actually think he may have gotten worse over the past 3.5 years.

• But, again, it’s not like that lack of progress is just because he sucks and can’t be good.

There’s tons of variables in there, outside of Phil’s control, that have contributed to his struggles. The largest of those is the way his innings have been repeatedly curtailed through injury or demotion to the bullpen.

In 2010, when healthy and a starter for the first time in years, he pitched well… until he hit a wall. It happens to young starters all the time.

When there’s a reason to explain the struggles, there’s hope that if you correct for that reason, the struggles might disappear.

• Al says:

Are you ever disappointed by the Yankees? Its always all good in your Yankee world. When they lose in the playoffs, do you say, look at the 97 wins!

• Are you ever disappointed by the Yankees?

I’ve gone on record repeatedly with my criticisms of the team regarding the handling of Joba and Phil. I also voiced displeasure with the Burnett signing when he was signed. I lobbied for Torre to be dismissed in 2007. There are others.

The criticisms aren’t as frequent as the praise, because this team does far more good things than bad ones.

• Tom says:

So, then, what exactly IS a “dead arm” if it’s like a “bum elbow”? If the bum elbow shows up on an mri/xray/cat scan, does that mean the dead arm did?

• Greg says:

It goes back to the Yankees inability to develop top line starting pitching.

These three pitchers are our Generation K except we got more from them. Still dissappointing

• Jetrer says:

“As of now, he is nothing.”
      2 runs or less in 6 of 8 starts since coming off the DL
      Please sign me up for some more nothing.

• Yes, but these three losses to the A’s count as worth more than all the other 125 games the Yankees have played this season.

So Hughes sucks. Doesn’t matter what he did last week, you can’t beat the A’s, you suck.

• theyankeewarrior says:

SSS.

7 ERA.

5+ ERA in a season’s worth of starts dating back to last year.

Frustrating.

• 5+ ERA in a season’s worth of starts dating back to last year.

Two half seasons in which A.) he had hit a wall after throwing 100+ innings for the first time since 2006 and B.) he showed up to ST with a dead arm after finishing the year with twice as many innings as the previous year.

There’s three main reasons Hughes hasn’t yet lived up to his potential:

1.) He gets hurt frequently
          2.) He hasn’t built up innings on his arm in a gradual, sustained, year-over-year process to make it strong enough to generate velocity without overthrowing
          3.) #2 means that he gets hurt frequently

• Jetrer says:

Most of that ERA was from his 3 starts in April when there was clearly something physically wrong with him. SSS because he was injured most of the year, nothing you can do about it.
          Frustrating, yes, he still has a ways to go, but given that he’s been at least pretty good in 6 of his 8 healthy starts(and very good in his last 3), plenty of reason not to give up hope just yet.

• theyankeewarrior says:

Let me help you with something. Phil Hughes has an ERA approaching 5 since he has come back from the DL.

Could he improve? Of course. Do I hope he improves? Of course. Do I think he has the ability to fuck with Boston’s lineup or Philly’s or Texas’?

Phuck no.

• So all the talk of this amazing rebound and how Phil is our savior and #2 for October etc. etc. etc. is pretty much BS.

The people who said that were morons. Most sane people have said that Phil, Colon, Garcia, Nova, Burnett, and possibly Noesi or Warren are all good options to get hot/pitch well when October rolls around to make a decent 2-3-4 behind CC.

Phil’s had enough good moments post-DL to indicate he could be the #2, but anyone who has declared already that he’s 100% back is obviously wrong. He’s just shown progress, that’s all.

He has shown progress, though. This start is ugly, but don’t mistake the fact that Hughes has had good outings post-DL.

• Jetrer says:

I don’t need the help thanks. I’m aware of his ERA and I didn’t say Phil would be #2 in October, although given the alternatives, that is still possible. 2 runs or less in 6 of eight starts is enough reason to give me hope for a rebound. I’m not at all saying that he has achieved it yet.

157. yoo-boo says:

I am no weather expert but the chart projects that intensity storm will be in Tri States this Sunday AM so that means Orioles doubleheader games can be completed on Saturday. Soggy games they will be. I think 11am and 4pm games should do the trick. The earlier the better I suppose.

158. Tom says:

A ridiculous performance (so far). Keep this s*** up, and who knows what may happen in (even) Baltimore. Forget about Boston.

Someone should write a math paper for his stat class on the Yankees’ pitching staff. Title: Statistically-Generated Illusions.

159. MannyGeee says:

BABIP can blow me.

160. FIPster Doofus says:

Amazing catch

161. Yank The Frank says:

The upside is that it’s only the 5th and the sun is coming out.

162. Sarah says:

Gardy has clearly angered the BABIP gods…

163. theyankeewarrior says:

Who the $*#% is Hector Noesi!?!???!??!

164. Zach says:

Problem is..we jsut keep swinging for the fences and don’t do small ball at all.

165. MannyGeee says:

OK seriously, I can count TWO balls in play that has not been a hit today.

166. Yank The Frank says:

The downsize is it’s only the 5th, the sun is coming out and we are still playing like shit.

167. first time lawng time says:

The team is in a bad stretch right now. They’ll get through it. I promise.

168. Greg says:

I mean I look at Jered Weaver, Felix Hernandez, Jon Lester, Justin Verlander, Josh Johnson, TIm Lincecum, Matt Cain, Cole Hamels, Tommy Hanson, and others and wondering where are our guys?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Well they gave up on their top tiered pitching prospects. Hughes is the only one so far getting a shot. He could still be that guy but who knows. Their track record in regards to pitching in general just hasn’t been good for the past decade.

• Greg says:

Exactly. THe game has changed. And the Yankees need to get with it, or else we will be left in the dust. We cant depend on free agency anymore.

• ItsATarp says:

Wang was very good before he got injured..

• MannyGeee says:

I dont even know where to start with this.

• Now for those who will say that all of those guys are high draft picks, isnt the baseball draft a crapshoot anyway?

It is… except for the top of the first round (where Weaver, Verlander, Lincecum, Cain, and Hamels were taken). Most of those guys in the first 15-20 picks “make it”, at least into servicable big leaguers. Most of the stars of MLB are high draft picks (just like the other leagues).

There’s more low gambles that make it and more guys taken in the 20-100 range that don’t make it (compared to the other major sports), which is why it’s a comparative crapshoot, but that doesn’t mean that having the 15th pick every year instead of the 30th pick isn’t a massive advantage in the quest to find premium amateur talent.

It is.

• pat says:

Jered Weaver- 12th overall 2004
      Felix Hernandez- IFA, didn’t want to sign with Yankees.
      Justin Verlander-2nd over all, 2004
      Tim Lincecum- 10th overall 2006
      Matt Cain- 25th overall 2002
      Cole Hamels 12th overall 2002

Soooo yeah, that’s where most of them come from. SPOTS IN THE DRAFT WE NEVER PICK FROM.

169. bonestock94 says:

Is this a bad trade to you guys?

I get Ubaldo Jiminez, I give Hellickson and Tabata. It’s in a redraft.

It got veto’d and caused major drama…aimed at me. Crazy. If anything I thought I was losing out.

170. your mom says:

I’m glad to see we’re playing at a championship level against the shitty A’s

• first time lawng time says:

It’s not a big deal. It’s just one game. It happens. Good teams beat bad teams. Bad teams beat good teams. It happens everyday of the season to every team.

171. Jesse says:

Please start a rally, not popping up or double play Tex…

172. ItsATarp says:

Am I the only one who would like to see Noesi and Hughes switch roles?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Yeah probably seeing as I don’t get why you think Burnett deserves a spot over both.

• I’d like to see Noesi get a shot at starting, he could very well end up as one of our four best starters.

I don’t want Hughes pulled from the rotation, though. He needs innings, he needs starts, he needs opportunities to right himself.

Not just for this year, but for 2012. We’ve built up enough of a lead to live with his struggles every fifth day, we’re good.

• Al says:

Would you oppose if Phil did all that in AAA, this experiment is getting costly… I know he threw a few good games recently, but…

• I’d have no problem with Phil going to AAA.

One of my most consistent criticisms of this organization is it’s unwillingness to let 6th starters wait in Scranton, pitching everyday and building innings/honing their craft/mastering a repeatable delivery of multiple pitches.

Joba, Phil, and now Noesi were all used in medium or high leverage roles in the bullpen when other pitchers could have handled those innings, allowing the kids to work on being better starters in AAA. It probably would have benefited all three of them (and thus, the team) more in the long run than any incremental gain in effectiveness in the 50-70 innings per year they all respectively pitched in the big league bullpen.

he’s had 2 bad starts in the last 8 starts, how is that getting costly
          Pitchers who have also had 2 bad starts in their last 8: Colon, AJ, CC

173. Al says:

Men on and no outs, this is when the offense goes crazy..

174. nsalem says:

Jeter POM for August?

175. Kostas says:

In need of a rally killer, call 1-800- GotoTex

176. MannyGeee says:

bases loaded, 1 out. can I get a Ribbie from Robbie?

177. Jesse says:

Gap shot Cano please.

178. Smallz says:

It honestly blows my fuckin mind how some of you idiots really think your so right about your opinions. Phil Hughes is a bust. Brett Gardner should be takin out of the lineup. Joe Girardi doesnt know how to run a bullpen. Cory Wade shouldnt pitch, ever. The whole team sucks. Seriously. Get offended. I dont give a fuck, follow the footsteps of Mike Flanigan. Your making rational, reasonable Yankee fans look bad.

179. bonestock94 says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO back in it

180. Yank The Frank says:

There is a chance I may sleep tonight!!

181. Mister Delaware says:

Clutch motherfuckers!

182. MannyGeee says:

DON’T CHA KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

183. Mojo says:

MT25 is good at baseball. Is that right or am I mistaken?

184. Kostas says:

This guy needs Tex money now.

185. Al says:

Lets Go Yankees!

186. Jesse says:

Does anyone remember when Cano was a bad hitter with the bases loaded? Seemed like FOREVER.

187. Rey22 says:

And we have ourselves a ballgame!

188. dkidd says:

boom goes the dynamite

phantastic swing

189. theyankeewarrior says:

Phuck Phil Hughes we have Hector and Robby!

190. Yank The Frank says:

Streaky Swish is streakin.

191. Mykey says:

Swish money. Keep it coming.

192. Mojo says:

They BETTER win after that shot. Still, though, the MT25 needs an update ASAP. Is SkyNet, ahem, I mean, Kevin Long up for the task?

193. Smallz says:

OH were almost winning again? here come the Yankee fans!

194. MannyGeee says:

OH MY GOOOOOOOD PHIL HUGHES Rich Harden SUCKS!!!!!

195. Billy Pilgrim says:

This is why you don’t give up on the ballgame in the 4th inning, folks. Let’s tie the game here.

196. first time lawng time says:

Reading some comments, people gotta chill about the Red Sox playing the As this weekend. It doesn’t matter if the RS win three or lose three. All that matters is how the Yankees play against Baltimore. Don’t worry about how Boston does. All that matters is if the Yankees win. Don’t even pay attention to Boston.

197. Billy Pilgrim says:

Lol, and here comes Brett Gardner to leave 3 men on base again. Hit a groundball!

198. Greg says:

I might have pinch hit for Gardner here.

199. Smallz says:

I cant wait for someone to strike out so I can hear how much they suck. We havent had any negativity in like 10 minutes.

200. Yank The Frank says:

I think he is trying to hit a pop up.

201. tom says:

Gardner seems hell bent on popping up here

202. jon says:

when did gardner turn into teix?

203. Billy Pilgrim says:

What a waste. Sit him down and play Andruw. At least he can hit a pop fly and get it into the outfield.

204. Yank The Frank says:

He’s consistant, I’ll give him that.

205. tom says:

unfuckingbelievable. when he gets cold he hits absolute zero

206. MannyGeee says:

this team blows.

207. Greg says:

I blame Gardner for that inning. But lets’ see what happens.

208. Mojo says:

Oh, funny, I didn’t realize we were watching the Little League World Series. Way to go Gardner!

209. RCA says:

Whoever says Gardner is better than Ellsbury needs their head examined. I would’ve pinch hit for him too in that situation. He has left a small village on the bases.

210. Yank The Frank says:

Ok we’re back in it. Bullpen do your stuff.

211. teddy says:

all giradri does is blow games, you have to pinch hit there. he refuses to do his job and yanks are still losing, who knew gardner would pop it up

212. theyankeewarrior says:

It would be very hard for anyone to be as bad as Gardner’s been lately. Very fucking hard.

213. Mojo says:

Extreme pleasure to extreme suckitude in mere minutes. Fuck it. I’ve got to hand it to ‘em. That’s impressive.

• tom says:

actually, getting a seemingly lost game to within one run in the 5th inning is pretty much miles from extreme suckitude. Bad/disappointing result in one situation does not equate despair.

Except, of course, on this board.

• Mojo says:

Good god, shut up. Is it a prerequisite to be such a bickering bitch “on this board”? It sucked to see them go Grand Slam, loaded the bases AGAIN, and then proceed to do NOTHING. Gardner is currently worthless. Seeing him the infield fly rule with one out and the bases loaded SUCKS. Damnit, dude, allow me my reactions, PLEASE, because they’re actually based off a continuous trend of this series. Have some FUN, will you?!

• Have some FUN, will you?!

That was an odd way to end that comment about being angry that other people are angry about Yankee fans being angry.

• Mojo says:

Okay then. It was odd, but the amount of snark and bickering on this website is utterly unappealing. Nothing negative (about the Yankees) can be said without a few monotonous tirades from the regulars around here. The air of superiority emanated by some here is totally unbecoming and a real stick in my ass. Anyhow, as I said, have some FUN!

• Nothing negative (about the Yankees) can be said without a few monotonous tirades from the regulars around here.

That’s not true. The problem isn’t that some people say negative things, it’s that they go way overboard with those negative things until they become dumb irrational comments not rooted in any reality.

• Mojo says:

But they’re entitled to say whatever the hell they want. We’re all Yankee fans and we all root in drastically different ways, yet the common element remains amongst us. A good debate is priceless and ALWAYS invited but the way some people insist on introducing snark to the “narrative” (as people are so fond of using around here) it suddenly becomes an ugly situation where innocent people are being attacked. So, instead of being an arrogant twat (not you, just people in general) how about we keep it friendly and constructive. And, instead of elevating it to dick status right away, let the situation brew and sit and allow itself to fizzle out because there’s no point in getting worked up over the fact that we ALL want the Yankees to win.

214. Jimm says:

At least we know Cano is trying

• FIPster Doofus says:

They’re all trying.

• Sarah says:

I’d guess that Gardner is over-trying at this point. This is a very ugly slump for him. Maybe this sort of ugly is just what he needs to snap out of it. Remember the bat breaking post-strikeout against the Os last month? He seemed to turn it around the next day.

• RCA says:

Gardner is def over-trying it. He swung at every pitch that at-bat. He needs a couple of days off to get his head right.

• Sarah says:

Not sure days off is going to help or happen. He probably needs to hit hsi way out of it, and with 5 games in 4 days, I’d guess he plays CF at least once this weekend. Unless the entire series gets rained out…

215. Robinson Cano has no intentions of losing this game.

216. Widget says:

I can never get mad at Matsui for hitting against the Yankees. Still one of my all time favorite Yankees.

217. first time lawng time says:

Are people really pissed about last inning? Cano hits a grand slam to put them within one, there are four innings left, but you’re still not happy? Chiiiill. It was a good inning. Be happy.

218. nsalem says:

hope a rod sees breslow

219. teddy says:

nice job teix pulling a outside pitch, thats why he has 1 hit tis series and i don’t care he hit it hard, he can’t hit

220. I wish he had an S in his first name, so I could call him David Faustino de los Santos.

221. JohnnyC says:

Right center blast.

222. Yank The Frank says:

A Bomb Time

223. Al says:

Here comes an ABomb from Arod… cmon

224. Fautino wants nothing to do with the active career HR leader.

225. Esteban says:

Hey single now

226. Gonzo says:

This cat is shooooook!

227. first time lawng time says:

If the Orioles’ pitcher tomorrow is a lefty, I’d give Gardnerthe day off. Let the guy rejuvenate.

228. Esteban says:

Um injury delay, que paso?

229. Esteban says:

It’s ok, Swishahouse got this

230. teddy says:

pedroia wouldn’t get owned like that

231. RCA says:

This series has frustrated me to no end, it seems the Yankees have a runner in scoring position in every inning and they CANNOT bring him home.

232. Chip says:

I’ll give Cano a pass on that one

233. Yank The Frank says:

Russell The Muscle will seal the deal

234. Al says:

Mussle has been hot, lets get a run

235. Hummingbird S. says:

Comon Martin, just a single.

236. Billy Pilgrim says:

SHE’S GONE!!!!!!!!!! HE HAS WON THE BALLGAME!!!!!!!!!!

237. Al says:

Yesssss! Yessss! Yesss!!!!!!!!!!!

238. Greg says:

Grand Slam!

239. Jetrer says:

Russell!!!!!!!!!!

240. jon says:

holy shit

241. RCA says:

FINALLY, YEAH MARTIN!!!! St. louis!!! (French)

242. Alfred says:

Russell!!!!

243. tom says:

That should shut alot of people up

244. YOU GET A GRAND SLAM! YOU GET A GRAND SLAM! YOU GET A GRAND SLAM!

EVERYONE GETS A GRAND SLAM!

245. Jimm says:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

246. Esteban says:

No fucking way. WOOOOHOOOOO

247. JFH says:

Zach says:
    August 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm

How do I stay positive Zach? Because we are the NY effing Yankees. That’s how.

248. ItsATarp says:

2009 team would have done it in the 9th…just sayin

249. Pasqua says:

You know what you CAN rely on homeruns for? Scoring shitloads of runs with runners on.

250. Skip says:

2 Yankee Stadium specials in a row there. I’ll take it.

251. Al says:

Swish and Martin:
    “Hey honey, we’re streaking. We’re going up through the quad to the gymnasium. Everybody’s doing it”

252. On the heels of the Hughes v. Andrew Miller convo upthread:

Would it now be fair to say that Phil Hughes “kept his team in the game” today? I mean… we’re winning now. Hughes gave up a manageable 7 runs, he didn’t give up 14.

253. nsalem says:

Jeter will be hitting .300 right on the nose if he gets a hit in this AB no fractions exactly .300
    this is his 4th attempt this week to reach

254. Tom Zig says:

Wouldn’t it be funny if this turns into a blow out in favor of us?

255. The Big City of Dreams says:

Nice real nice

256. Alfred says:

They’re almost on pace for the longest 9 inning game in MLB history.

It’s 4:45 and we’re now, after 6 innings well over 3 hours.

257. Hummingbird S. says:

Dumb play by Nunez

258. nsalem says:

Derek at .300

259. thaaaaaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

yup…Grandy was coming up with the bases loaded had Nunez took his head out of his ass

260. Urban says:

So I go out for a jog, return and flip the Yankee game back on, hoping they’ve closed the 7-1 gap. The first pitch I see is Martin’s ball for the grandslam for a 10-7 lead. Much better than I expected.

Then I go flip back through the comments to see what happened, and I have to say there are quite a few loser, whiner types here.

Baseball is a wonderfully fun and frustrating game, sometimes within the same game. If you can’t take the latter you’re probably not made out to be a baseball fan. The bad parts are what makes the good parts all that more enjoyable.

And there’s still plenty of time for more things, good and bad, to happen.

261. Kostas says:

Jeter hitting .300

How he has kept his job is beyond me. Should have been DFA’d in April.

262. Hello Nasty says:

Anthony “Home” Recker

263. Yank The Frank says:

Boone goes boom ! Evening all.

264. thaaaaaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

nice inning of work there

265. jon says:

wow anyone catch the pair on the girl in green?

266. Al says:

Changing my Jeter tshirt from 3000 to .300

267. nsalem says:

Was this the longest nine inning game ever
    lonely in the reserve seats at fenway. i didn’t dare cheer
    i was there for both ends of the double header great day

just because it happened to you doesn’t make it interesting

268. IRF says:

Boone Logan, quality LOOGY

269. Cuso says:

we’d be remiss if we didn’t acknowledge Logan.

He’s actually having a good year, believe it or not

270. tom says:

So, if this score holds up, the summary of the series will be:

In two eminently winnable, well-pitched games, the Yankees first fell just short, then threw one away.

In the game they were out of by the 3rd thanks to miserable pitching, they came back and won going away.

Seems like a new chapter for You Can’t Predict Baseball.

271. Charles says:

Jesus Kay/Singleton are dead, I’ve never heard so much silence from broadcasters

• Urban says:

They’ve been there five hours since the original start time of 1:00 and only six innings have been completed! They need a nap.

272. Urban says:

Jeter has now moved ahead of Gardner in all three triple-slash stats. Thankfully he wasn’t dropped in the line-up or replaced fulltime by Nunez (who also had hit doubters, myself included!) who has been an excellent reserve infielder:

Jeter: .300./359./389