Aug

Joba Update: Three surgeries and weight loss

Via Erik Boland & Marc Carig: Joba Chamberlain has “clearly lost weight” and is ahead of scheduled as he rehabs from Tommy John surgery. He’ll resume throwing in a few weeks, and a mid-April return is possible. That would be ten months out of the surgery, which is pretty aggressive. Joba’s with the team in Minnesota this week(end), but just for a visit.

Aside from the elbow surgery, Chamberlain also had his appendix taken out and had to spend another two weeks in the hospital due to infection. “I had three surgeries in 25 days,” he said. I’ll be surprised if he comes back in April, but it’s good hear he’s recovering well.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Regis says:

I miss the big guy. Mo, D-Rob, Soriano and an effective Joba would have made some pen.

2. Your mom says:

I’m waiting for the obligatory Joba to return as a starter comment. . . . . . oops.

• Chen Meng Wang says:

Here you go then =P

When I saw the title of the article I thought why not give him a chance to come back as a starter? With the way TJS goes these days it’s seems pitchers are coming back stronger than before they went under the knife. The free agent market for pitching this off season anyway, and the only starters we officially have under contract for next season are Hughes, Burnett, and Nova. So give him a couple of spring training starts and if he works out awesome, if not he’s shown he’s a very useful bullpen arm anyway..just an idea.

3. Your mom says:

So what was the 3rd surgery? Tummy tuck?

4. Cuso says:

I was a dick last night.

I apologize.

I just don’t like Swisher.

5. CP says:

Another appendectomy?!?! The Yankees really need to fire their appendix coach and hire a new one.

6. Short Porch says:

Three surgeries, including an appendectomy, and an infection that kept him in the hospital nine days, is really a great formula for weight loss. Skim milk, Brussels sprouts, jello instead of a six of beer and nachos on the training table. The weight must have melted off.

• Rainbow Connection says:

“Now if he could get serious about conditioning like I must say Melky did, he could come back strong. I am rooting for that.”

Just like CC, right?

• Short Porch says:

Glad you pointed that out. He looks like he gained the thirty pounds he dropped after knee surgery, judging from what he looked like on the mound tonight.

He dropped the weight to take pressure off his legs. Leiter I think noticed his stride is shorter now and its messing with his control.

So yeah, just like CC.

As though his girth gives every fat guy a free pass. Sorry, that is NOT a healthy body and it will affect his performance in the coming years unless he deals with it.

7. MannyB ace2be says:

Why couldn’t joba come back as a starter? Im just asking I don’t necessarily want that but if he worked on his non slider off speed pitches well ya never know

8. Midland TX says:

Let’s talk about it again at Spring Training 2013 if he’s still with the team.