Sep

2012 Draft: Draft schedule announced, Stanek not eligible

Via John Manuel, MLB has announced that the 2012 amateur draft will be held on June 4th-6th. The actual draft date isn’t terribly interesting (it’s the first full week of June, as usual), but it is interesting in the case of Ryne Stanek.

Stanek, a sophomore right-hander at Arkansas, was born on July 21st, 1991, so he’ll celebrate his 21st birthday 46 days after the draft. MLB rules stipulate that a player must turn 21 within 45 days of the final day of the draft to be draft-eligible as a sophomore. He missed the cutoff by one stupid day. Stanek has legit first round ability thanks to his projectable frame (6-foot-4, 180 lbs.), mid-90′s gas, and three offspeed pitches, but he’ll have to wait another year to cash in on his talent. Poor kid got hosed.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. MikeD says:

Too bad for Stanek. I understand the need for rules, but there should be some appeal process, or something.

The 2012 draft is not shaping up as a deep one. I have no idea what 2013 looks like, and it’s probably too early to know. If it’s deeper and he drops, it’ll cost him some $$$ because of one day.

• Ted Nelson says:

Your draft spot and bonus aren’t linked in a one to one relationship, and you have to draw a line somewhere: if you let Stanek break the rule, why not 47 days? 48? 49? …76? …89?

I mean I would prefer no restrictions and a draft where you can declare only once (I would prefer no NCAA period as well, but I’m sure I’m in the minority there)… but if the rule is 45, I don’t see breaking the rule.

• Ed says:

Having an appeal process defeats the point of a rule like that. Rules like that exist so that there’s a clear criteria and they don’t have to deal with everyone individually.

If he really wants to get around it, he can transfer to a junior college and be eligible.

2. craig says:

He can just transfer to a JUCO or other 2-year program and he’ll be draft-eligible. It is a stupid rule, but this is the work-around. Alex Fernandez did it years ago and many have followed suit.

3. Ted Nelson says:

I don’t like all the restrictions in the first place, but if you’re going to have them I don’t see why you wouldn’t enforce them.

4. nathan says:

What would be even more frustrating is if he were born in the early wee hours of the 46th day. That would really suck.

I dont begrudge MLB for enforcing the rule, its just fails the laugh test considering all the IFA non-rules.

• MikeD says:

I did find out he was born at 12:01 am. He’s now hired Scott Boras, who plans to challenge the rule, claiming that Stanek was actually conceived in a different time zone than the one in which he was born, and thus is actually day older and should be eligible for the draft. If that doesn’t work, Boras plans to take the doctor who delivered Stanek to court and force him to prove that Stanek was actually born on 7/21 and not 7/20. If all that fails, he plans to add to his staff a team of quantum physicists who will prove that time is an illusion, and therefore Sanek’s birthday holds no meaning, and is eligible for any draft he chooses to enter.

5. Jesse says:

Say Stanek was eligible, I wonder if he could fall to late first round to the Yankees. 6′ 4″, 180 lbs with mid 90′s cheese and three offspeed pitches has me drooling.

• MikeD says:

No need. The Yankees currently have their eye on a switch-hitting second baseman who is currently ranked somewhere in the mid-100s by most draft experts as their first pick.

I’m just kidding. I think.

• Brian in NH says:

Not happening unless his medicals are scary

6. MattG says:

But 45 days “after the draft” is so arbitrary. This means it the draft were June 7th, he’d be eligible. What a stupid way to make a rule. And why ’45?’ If they had a date in mind, why not just make it that date, and have it be that date, regardless of the date of the draft? Bizarre.

7. mbonzo says:

If I was Stanek I would revoke my US citizenship and enter as an IFA.