Oct

Open Thread: NY Minute at Yankee Stadium

I’m a sure for time lapse videos, but isn’t everyone? That one above, courtesy of Silver Halide and passed along by Flip Flop Fly Ballin’, consists of over 2,000 photos of New Yankee Stadium taken during the 2009 season. It’s a minute of awesomeness, so give it a watch. Neat stuff.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. The Tigers and Rangers are just wrapping up with game (on FOX), and the Cardinals and Brewers will resume their NLCS at 8pm ET on TBS (Lohse vs. Wolf). Both the Islanders and Devils are playing as well. Talk about whatever you like, anything goes.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Mike Axisa says:

That guy in the AT&T commercial with the bitchy wife must be miserable.

2. Brian S. says:

“A source told ESPN New York that the Rangers are preparing to make a strong bid for CC Sabathia if he opts out of his contract with the Yankees this winter.”

Fuck Texas.

3. I think I saw Jason Kleener from Mrs. Golden’s second grade class.

4. Brian S. says:

So does anyone else think that after CC, Darvish is our best option? Or am I the only one on THIS blog that thinks that?

• Mike Axisa says:

I prefer Darvish to Wilson, quite strongly too.

• Brian S. says:

Hell yeah! He has SEVEN pitches. Check this velocity chart out: His fastball, shuuto (two seam), forkball, and cut fastball are all within seven miles of one another and his velocity went up as the game was longer! If he reaches his ceiling he will be so incredibly hard to hit.

• Jerome S says:

Wait… really? I feel like Wilson would be a safe bet, while Darvish would be an expensive option with some major upside and major downside.

• Mike Axisa says:

That’s how I feel. There’s risk involved with every pitcher, but there’s more upside with Darvish. Also would not take a draft pick to sign him, and the posting fee doesn’t count towards the luxury tax. I figure both guys will end up costing $100M or so, just in different ways.

• I keep flip flopping on this. The potential of darvish’s stuff is so alluring, but the transition to MLB always leaves that hint of doubt. I wasn’t too high on CJ for a lot of the year, but I keep looking at his numbers and I just can’t find something to hate. His October’s been a little rough, but those two solid years at SP are there.. In the AL. What do you think Darvish would cost?

• FIPster Doofus says:

A couple months ago my pick would’ve been Wilson. Now I’m leaning more and more toward Darvish.

• Sarah says:

Yeah, if the team is going to throw a ton of money at a starting pitcher not named CC, I’d prefer that he be under 30.

• Max R. says:

I definitely want Darvish over Wilson.

This year he has posted a 1.44 ERA with 276 K’s in 232 IP with 10 CG including 6 CG Shutouts.

He had 10.7 K/9 and a 0.83 WHIP.

The Yankees will likely not have the chance to draft a pitcher with as much potential as him for the foreseeable future.

If a pitcher was putting up those stats in AAA, he’d be the #1 prospect without question and the Japanese leagues have at least as much talent as AAA.

I say the Yanks should go all out for him.

5. Sarah says:

Damn, Nelson Cruz.

6. Urban says:

Tigers fans going crazy again shouting MVP for Verlander, while he once again has been meh facing a good hitting lineup. I’d be more concerned facing Halladay or Lee than Verlander. No matter, none of those guys will be in this year’s World Series.

7. Mike Axisa says:

Verlander smiled after giving up the homer! That’s not allowed!

/thosepeoplethissummerwheneverAndruwJonessmiled

8. Brian S. says:

Anyone else notice that Brett Pedroia looks like that weird guy from Superbad?

9. Sarah says:

I bet Leyland really wishes he had David Robertson in his pen right now.

10. Mike Axisa says:

Dammit, Phil Coke. I was hoping he’d blow it.

11. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

If Beckett ends up getting moved, where do you think he will he end up? I would have to think it would be in the NL.

12. Mariano's Pimp Hand says:

My back of the envelope calculation has the Yanks at ~$190MM next year while still needing a starter, 2 relievers 3 bats. I assumed CC would be back with a raise and Swish would be re-upped.

• Brian S. says:

We don’t need any relievers.
      Mo- 15 mil
      So- 11 mil
      Ro- ~2.5 mil after arb
      Co- .5 mil
      Jo- 1 mil, be back in June
      Lo- 1.5 mil
      No/Ko- .5 mil

That’s a bullpen. Although I would NOT be surprised if Cashman went after Javier Lopez or Jeremy Affeldt so we can waste another ten million dollars on middle relief/60 day DL inhabitants.

13. Brian S. says:

“Phil Coke only got five outs but he looks like he pitched a complete game.” -Tim McCarver

“………………………….” -Joe Buck

14. Sarah says:

Why can the Brewers not win on the road? I want the Brew Crew to go all the way.

• Pat D says:

Me too. I’m wearing my throwback Brewers hat every day till they’re out.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I’m pulling for the Cards, but I’m amazed that a team with Jerry Hairston and Yuniesky Betancourt as half their infield is in the NLCS.

• Brian S. says:

JERRY HAIRSTON! Loved that guy.

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

me too…and the fact they’ve played all year without Wainright and lost Pujols for a month or so.

A lot of people bash Larussa, but that is one helluva managing job right there. So the Braves choked…Larussa still had his team ready to play every day.

15. Stratman9652 says:

I wonder if Montero’s stance is intentionally similar to Pujols’s or it just happened that way.

16. Jimmy McNulty says:

I go back and forth on the Wilson/Darvish debate. Wilson’s been one of the 15 best pitchers in the bigs each year he’s been a starter, however he’ll require a huge contract, a draft pick, and age isn’t on his side. Some people say “left handed AJ” or Lackey, but I don’t see that. Wilson’s only been a starter recently he doesn’t have the wear on his arm that AJ or Lackey did, nor does he have the injury history that either of them had. He’s left handed and that plays well at Yankee Stadium and good LHSP is always an asset. However, his age is a problem and signing FA starters after 30 is always dicey unless you’re signing an absolute ace.

Darvish, on the other hand, is much younger than Wilson, he’ll be around Wilson’s age by the time his first ML contract is done with. He bears risk, but CJ wilson only has two full seasons as a starter under his belt and has age working against him. He has multiple pitches and it looks like he has Zack Greinke stuff, just because Dice-K’s walk rates exploded once he came to the states doesn’t mean that it’s fair to assume that everyone else’s will. The HR rate translation is an issue, but Darvish has exceptional HR rates and SG did this study here: http://www.rlyw.net/index.php/.....yu_darvish

And it sounds like he’s a safe gamble. The posting fee does not count towards the luxury tax, he won’t cost a draft pick, and he’ll likely end up with a 6/60 contract rather than CJ Wilson’s 5/90+ contract. It’s a lot easier to deal 6/60 than it is 6/90 in case they either pitcher ends up being a Lackey type bust. I’m firmly in the Darvish corner, but I do see the allure of CJ Wilson too.

17. Jimmy McNulty says:

This thing is awesome.

18. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

A commenter on the Curt Schilling’s take on the Francona/Theo situation article on ESPN said that Dice K and Buccholz being out cost them “over 60 games” So they’d be 152-10 if they weren’t hurt. Good to know.

19. Aj says:

Can you guys make a post putting the Pujols pipedream to rest? Wfan made crazy today with their Teixeira trade theories.

20. Dino Velvet says:

Red Sox blogs in full meltdowns over Papi saying how much he respects the Yankees.

Priceless.

21. Stratman9652 says:

That’s a relatively tame Sager suit

22. Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

This is the first year I can remember where the Yankees did not trade 1 of their pre-season BA Top 30 prospects. Usually a few are gone before the season starts (i.e. Arodys)

BA said this: “The Yankees had the fifth-best farm system last year, and the team’s top four prospects had productive seasons without graduating. New York also got a breakout season from outfielder Mason Williams, a terrific debut from Dante Bichette Jr. The organization’s pitching herd took a bit of a step back this season, but the system is still in good shape.”

I bet they will stay Top 10 but may move down to 8 or 9.

23. Sarah says:

Great news. TBS just told me that Pujols is athletic and covers a lot of ground, so I have deduced the Yankees can definitely sign him to play RF and move Swish to 4th OF, or trade him for Clayton Kershaw.

• Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

What is TBS thinking? WFAN callers got it right about trading Tex to Seattle for Felix, and signing Pujols for 1B.

• Sarah says:

I mean, that’s a good option too. I thought maybe we’d prefer the lefty in Kershaw. But if WFAN callers think Seattle wants Tex more than LA wants Swish, I think we can be flexible. Bottom line: Pujols in pinstripes.

• Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

well, let’s face it, the best option is Swish to LA for Kershaw AND Tex to Seattle for Felix, then sign Prince for 1B and test Pujols’ athleticism in RF.

24. Mike Axisa says:

I still don’t know why let Wolf bat for himself in that last inning.

25. insert something witty here says:

I’d love to see Nyjer Morgan and Carlos Gomez collide into each other at full speed, with neither getting up…ever.

26. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

John Smoltz “when you do your job and let everyone else do their job, you’re usually successful”

that’s Tim McCarver bad.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I guess the Mariners are unsuccessful because Felix Hernandez prevents his teammates from doing their jobs. Keep him away from the Yankees.

27. insert something witty here says:

Octavio Dotel and LaTroy Hawkins are both still pitching meaningful innings, while DRob and Mo are watching from home.

That’s straight out of the John Sterling You Just Can’t Predict Baseball handbook.

28. Bob Stone says:

A friend, who is a Red Sox Fan, sent me this short video on the Red Sox organization’s front office workings. Oddly enough, he sent it a week and a half ago . . . before the 2011 Fenway Soap Opera began:

Enjoy!