Oct

Open Thread: World Series Game Four

(Paul Sancya/AP)

See? I told you the offense would pick up once the series shifted to Texas. The Cardinals blew the Rangers out last night in part due to Albert Pujols’ three homers, but that’s in the past and they start again with a clean slate tonight. Derek Holland is charged with keeping his team from the brink of elimination, but he’s allowed ten runs on 18 hits, six walks, and five homers in 13.2 IP across three starts this postseason. His counterpart, Edwin Jackson, hasn’t been any better: eight runs on 16 hits and four homers in 12.1 IP across three starts. More offense? Yes, there will be more offense.

Here’s your open thread for the night. The World Series game starts at 8pm ET and can be seen on FOX, and the late football game is the Colts at the Saints (8:20pm ET on NBS). Talk about anything you want here, go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. This will be the most YCPB title if the Cardinals win it all.

• Esteban says:

I dunno, more than the 2006 Cardinals? They were 83-78 with a +19 run differential.

• Well, the 06 Cards won a very bad NL Central then took on the Padres, survived the Mets, and beat the Tigers. This season’s iteration won the Wild Card after coming back from a 10.5 (!!!), then knocked out the 102 win Phillies, the Brewers (who were amazing at home) and could go up 3-1 on Texas tonight.

2. Esteban says:

I wonder if any idiot has said “Yeah but Pujols’ HRs came when the Cardinals were already ahead”

Also, jeez, Joel Sherman’s column from yesterday was bizarre. I’m sure either NY team, Philly, or the Cubs would be very happy to have Pujols and I’m sure he would thrive in any of those cities.

3. MannyB ace2be says:

If the boss was still in charge do you see him trading montero for a pitcher going hard for Pujoles putting him at 3rd and arod at DH ? It’ll never happen now but I’ll admit I’m intrigued at the prospect especially if montero brought back a legit 1a-2 type starter

• Brian S. says:

Nah. Pujols is going to require eight years and he’s probably older than the age that is on his birth certificate. We have enough long term contracts on the team.

4. Brian S. says:

I love that some of the national announcers are starting to talk about the “jet stream” in the ballpark in Arlington. As much shit as YS3 gets for being a bandbox there are a handful of ballparks that are more hitter friendly than YS3, the one in Texas being one of them.

5. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

The over/under for tonight’s first 2004 reference is at 2.5 innings.

6. mbonzo says:

In case anyone was interested, Matsuzaka announced his major league agent would be Scott Boras 10/25/06, was given posting permission 11/2/06 and the bidding was over 11/14/06. With the regular season over for the NPB, I think we can expect similar dates for Darvish.

7. pat says:

Pierzynski kinda goin for that Trey Parker BASEketball look.

8. Jesse says:

Darvish to the Blue Jays! You heard it here first…

9. Bronx Byte says:

All in all it’s just another brick in the wall.

10. Pat D says:

So the Cowboys beat the Rams.

Good omen for the Rangers?

11. Kevin says:

1-0 but the Rangers left the bases loaded.

12. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Yadier Molina makes David Ortiz look fast….

• Greg says:

He makes Jorge Posada look fast. Posada would have at least been in the shot when the first baseman gets the ball. Molina wasnt even in the camera shot.

13. Baseball Jesus says:

There is that blazing molina speed.

14. pat says:

Edwin Jackson looks like shit.

15. Baseball Jesus says:

Kinsler with horse shit between his ears.

16. Urban says:

Really, eighteen seasons? I keep thinking of it as new.

17. Baseball Jesus says:

You all know this should be
    Burnett vs Oswalt at the stadium

18. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I’m starting to hate the Wash as much as I hate Claws and Antlers.

19. Brian S. says:

How are McCarver and Buck going to get the last laugh?

20. Urban says:

I can’t take Holland seriously (even though he was on my fantasy team this year) with that lame excuse for a mustache.

21. DSFC says:

If I’m an Angels fan, I’m really starting to hate Mike Scioscia for not wanting Mike Napoli

• FIPster Doofus says:

But Jeff Mathis can call a game and control a pitching staff! Never mind the fact that the Angels have two aces and a really good No. 3 in Santana. They NEED Mathis in order to pitch well.

Scioscia is a moron.

• Kevin says:

More to the point, he runs the team. It is the Gm’s job to decide which players should stay or go, not the manager.

P.S. after Berkemen’s comments yesterday, I am fully on board with the Rangers, stupid Antlers and all.

• RollingWave says:

if that’s the case, it would mean you were in a coma for the last 2 years and just woke up now.

22. NHYankeesFan says:

This is something posted on the front page of the MLB page of ESPN.

“Josh Hamilton’s stick not big, but working”

It was under the twitter section. I didn’t read the article but I found the choice of words hilarious

23. Chen Meng Wang says:

I told you the offense would pick up once the series shifted to Texas.

Derek Holland(and the worst ‘stache in MLB history) say hi. =P

24. Monteroisdinero says:

So the Cards aren’t the only team that wins by 9 runs one day and can’t score the next day?

wow