Oct

Open Thread: World Series Game One

Damn hippies. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

So, who ya got? I’m thinking Rangers is seven. I don’t think they’ll run away with it mostly because the middle of the Cardinals order won’t flail at the same junk off the plate like the non-Miggy Tigers hitters did in the ALCS, and that alone will keep them in games. It’s worth mentioning that three of Texas’ four starters are left-handed, and that will neutralize a big bat in Lance Berkman. Octavio Dotel will be pretty important because he destroys righties and outside of Josh Hamilton, all of Texas’ big bats are right-handed. I’m just hoping for good games more than anything, no lopsided blowouts please.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. Game One of the 2011 World Series starts at 8pm ET and can be seen on FOX, and the weather in St. Louis

Categories : Open Thread

1. Jimmy McNulty says:

All this talk about Darvish has me chomping at the bit, in that piece you recommended worries about the innings on Darvish’s arm was all the innings. The author pointed out that no one’s worried about Felix Hernandez, I will say the difference is that Felix tops 200 innings in 32+ starts, Darvish does it fewer than 30, that’s my biggest concern.

• CP says:

I am (or would be if it mattered to me at all) worried about Felix’s innings catching up to him.

• Tom O says:

One plus could be that if he’s cruising deep into starts, because of his dominance, he’s making lower stress pitches than if he were constantly in jams. But I have zero evidence for that, just thinking out loud, and he does average almost 8IP per start. While he obviously wouldn’t do that here, it’s still an awesome/crazy high number.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah, that’s pretty scary. He’s held up for five years and understands his mechanics and his arm better than any pitcher in baseball (short of Tim Lincecum) does, so I’m still optimistic about him…however pretending that isn’t a sign of concern is just plain nonsense. If he threw those same innings over the course of 33 starts I’d be completely fine, but those high pitch counts are worrisome.

• Gonzo says:

I’m more worried about him pitching every 5 days instead of once a week.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

He’s cracked 200 IP four years, whereas Matsuzaka only did it twice despite more years in NPB. OVer the last five years he’s had a sub two ERA whereas Matsuzaka never did it. I’m told that in his last year he was on the typical MLB rest, I haven’t seen gamelogs to back that up, though.

2. Jimmy McNulty says:

With all this talk about the free agent pitchers, what about the one pitcher on the roster that everyone should be wondering about? Phil Hughes. Have we given up on him being an ace or a two starter? Is it settled that he’s just a mid or back of the rotation guy now? I’m leaning towards yes, give up on the Phil Hughes that’s worth getting excited about. Think of him in the same category as Adam Warren, David Phelps, and Hector Noesi. If he develops another pitch or refines his command maybe he’ll be in the Ivan Nova category.

At any rate it’s an extremely disappointing saga, sad to see the guy who could have been an ace disappear. People say “oh he was hurt” or “when he’s been healthy he’s a pretty good pitcher” I say nonsense, the problem is that he DOES consistently get hurt and he ISN’T able to stay healthy. Is the team just planning on throwing him out there for another 180 innings or so after he only pitched 80 last year? If so do they actually think that will work?

• The Big City of Dreams says:

They ate fully behind having throwing 180 innings even though he didn’t throw that many this yr. I guess they’re hoping an off season conditioning program will set him on the right track. You brought up a good point though it maybe time for us to change how we think about Phil Hughes.

3. BamBam says:

Go cards i dont wanna see texas win at all being that the yankees would have manhandled the rangers starting pitching had they got a base hit in the ALDS

4. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Whenever I think Bud Selig can’t be any worse, I find something like this: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn.....ortCat=mlb and realize that things could defiantly be worse…

5. Brian S. says:

GO CARDINALS

6. Rey22 says:

Go Cardinals. Screw the Rangers and their antler/claw crap.

7. Pat D says:

I can’t root for either of these teams. I hope that Rangers Ballpark explodes right before the start of Game 3.

That’s what a friend of mine calls a “Pat Special.”

8. Jesse says:

Cardinals in 5, you heard it here first…

9. Kevin says:

Hard for me to root for a team with Nolan Ryan and George Bush behind them but seeing that scumbag Tony Larussa and Mark Mcguire…bleh.

10. Esteban says:

Can’t muster up any shits to give about either team. Not a huge fan of the Rangers, but I don’t hate them, and the Cardinals do nothing for me.

11. Stratman9652 says:

The Molina brothers… Pretty good at catching.

12. Mantle28 says:

I guess you could call me a pessimist, but I haven’t watched baseball since the Yankees got eliminated and don’t plan on watching the world series.

13. Mike Axisa says:

Man, Carpenter’s lucky he didn’t get stepped on. Well, Pujols is the lucky one I guess, it would have been his fault.

14. Kevin says:

yep..Texas is about to learn..don’t try to steal on a Molina.

15. Stratman9652 says:

Sad to think, but there is actually someone of importance at FOX who thinks McBuck is a good commentating team worth keeping on the payroll. People are crazy.

16. Mike Axisa says:

Watching David Freese play third base makes me appreciate A-Rod a little more. He was still very good on defense in the ALDS.

17. Mike Axisa says:

They’re pitching Cruz like he’s Pujols when he’s maybe the fourth best hitter on the Rangers. Probably fifth best after Hamilton, Beltre, Napoli, Kinsler.

• Pat D says:

But Michael Young is the MVP of the American League!!! He willed the Rangers back to the postseason all by himself!!

/Harold Reynolds’d

18. Kevin says:

And another GIDP ends the inning.

19. FIPster Doofus says:

Wilson seems like such a douche. Bring in Darvish.

20. Mike Axisa says:

Both pitchers are behind everyone. The game plan is “ball one, ball two, ground ball.”

21. Kevin says:

Molina seems like a punk too…I cna’t figure out who to root for!

22. AJWillWin says:

What about signing Mark Buehrle? Granted he is 32 and has logged a TON of innings, but I see that as a positive. He has put up very consistent numbers and has certainly shown he is a durable. If they could somehow get him on a 3-4 year deal I would be all for it.

Throw in Darvish to that rotation and I’d say 2012 looks pretty damn good.

CC
    Darvish
    Buehrle
    Nova
    Hughes/Burnett

Can you say 28?

23. Foghorn Leghorn says:

I’m pulling for the Cards. The Rangers really ticked me off last year with that claw and antler thing. I like Ryan but I can’t see how a team that he runs could have such a sissified rallying call.

• MannyGeee says:

Really? Of all the obnoxious things the rangers have, I think Nolan Ryan tops the list…

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

I was a big fan of his when he was a player so some of that has carried over. I do like his theories on starting pitchers. He and Larussa are like oil and water. I bet Ryan will hogtie Larussa when they exchange lineup cards in Texas.

24. Foghorn Leghorn says:

The Cards could not move the Punto…

25. Monteroisdinero says:

John Jay looks like what you’d get when you combine Fred Lynn and Davey Concepcion. Minus their talent.

26. Sarah says:

God I hate Ron Washington. Why do I live in this god-forsaken place where I am subjected to a constant stream of love for him?

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

I always like U.L. Washington…remember that cat? he played SS with a toothpick in his mouth! that’s old school!

• Jimmy McNulty says:

It could be worse, you could live in Boston and deal with people that think Matt Garza for Theo Epstein is a fair deal.

27. Monteroisdinero says:

Well, I think I’m done with baseball until pitchers and catchers report to Tampa. How about a RAB get together in ST?

28. Foghorn Leghorn says:

This series is about as boring as watching old people screw…

29. Foghorn Leghorn says:

FAT ELVIS!

30. Sarah says:

2nd time through the order…

31. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Should of kept.

32. FIPster Doofus says:

Love you, Big Puma

33. Xstar7 says:

He’s Lance Berkman he’s really good and all.

34. swishers fauxhawk says:

Intentionally walking Punto?

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

To get to the pitcher. Yay NL baseball!!

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

seriously…who likes watching that crap? Carp bunted 3 times foul in his first AB. Then we get to watch Nick Punto get IBBd…only to see Carp k.

that is scintillating.

• swishers fauxhawk says:

It’s a good strategy because letting the pitcher hit is a good idea.

The fact of the matter is, that should never be a good strategy.

35. Stratman9652 says:

Wait… Buck would put Holliday at DH and put Craig in the OF? Because you wouldn’t wanna lose Berkman’s defense in right, right?

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Both Holiday and Berkman are pretty bad out there I don’t really think it matters who they make their DH as long as Craig plays the field.

36. Ivan says:

I understand that their body types are different but, if Mike Napoli can catch and he has never been considered a good defensive catcher, then why not Montero? Sure Montero is about 4 inches taller but they are both bulky. I mean im just saying here.

• Stratman9652 says:

Montero just doesn’t seem to have the mobility. Watch how low Napoli get and how steady he looks setting up. Montero doesn’t seem to have the flexibility and balance. That makes it really hard to block balls in the dirt, pop and throw, and doesn’t give the ump the greatest view.

37. Xstar7 says:

Cardinals still can’t throw shutdown innings.

38. Karl Krawfid says:

Scouting report must have said keep throwing Napoli fastballs down the middle.

39. Foghorn Leghorn says:

David Murphy’s practice swings drive me nuts

40. swishers fauxhawk says:

Jeff Mathis.

41. Sarah says:

McCarver and Buck marveling over the fancy technology.

42. Red says:

Mike fucking Napoli.

43. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

why would they bunt to just have Pujols IBB’d?

44. swishers fauxhawk says:

#toomanybunts

45. Karl Krawfid says:

Man NL baseball sucks.

46. pat says:

Wow, that’s probably an inside the park HR if it didn’t hit his foot.

47. Mike Axisa says:

Man, if that didn’t hit Cruz’s foot, Craig would still be running.

48. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

“That’s a bad break for the Rangers, but a good break for the Rangers”

-Tim McCarver

49. Esteban says:

So does this start mean the Yankees should or shouldn’t sign CJ Wilson?

50. Karl Krawfid says:

Got away with a hanging slider.

51. pat says:

So like Bengie Molina last year, Rhodes is getting a ring either way? Sweet.

52. Mike Axisa says:

Well that was a fun game. This series might not be so useless after all.

53. The Big City of Dreams says:

Go Cards

54. Kevin says:

Looks like Texas will be going home without another ring at the end of this series.
    Maybe we’ll finally hear an end to how much of a genius Nolan Ryan is.
    In the same breath, St.Louis played like garbage most of the year and then got hot at the end…doesn’t seem right.

55. JWT says:

So the Cards won at home with their ace and suddenly the series is “ovah”? Doubt it. Also, nice of the MSM to float the meme that “Genius Tony LaRussa won the game” instead of giving credit to the guy who actually got the hit. Maddening.