Oct

The bigger, badder RAB

Today at 11:30 you’ll see something new on RAB. It’s a byline that you might find familiar, just not around these parts. In the next week or so you’ll notice a few more of these new bylines popping up. River Ave. Blues is expanding, and we’re excited to announce a pair of new writers, plus a new twist on a current one.

The first one you’ll see is Larry Koestler. Mike, Ben, and I have known Larry for a long, long time. You might have known him from Yankeeist and then The Yankee Analysts. We like his work all the way back in his Save Phil Hughes days — he even did a guest post for us a while ago. Now he’s part of the RAB team, and will bring his consistently well-researched articles to us on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — and perhaps more if he has the itch. If you’re not doing so already, make sure to follow Larry on Twitter: @Larry_Koestler.

Next on the list is Larry’s partner in crime, TYA co-founder Moshe Mandel. We’ve followed Moshe from his days at the The Yankee U through TYA. In fact, he succeeded Ben and I on the now-defunct MVN Yankees blog, The Bronx Block. (In our day it was Off The Facade.) If you follow Moshe’s Twitter account — @MosheRAB — you might know that he’s a recent Harvard Law grad and is on his way to a fancy schmantz job in January. Because of that he’ll post a bit less frequently: Tuesdays and Sundays. He’s on vacation this week, though, so you’ll have to wait until next week for his debut.

With new contributors on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, we thought one final contributor for Thursdays made sense. Turns out the perfect candidate for the job was right under our noses. You might know Stephen Rhoads from his weekend posts. Now he’s sliding into Thursdays so we can more prominently feature his work. He actually got a head start this week, so his regular spot is already in place. You can find him on Twitter at @sprotster.

Please, folks, give a warm welcome to the new guys. Their voices will add variety to the RAB experience, expanding discussions and providing different angles on the subjects we cover every day.

Now that we have a more robust weekday staff, we decided to install some sense of order. With just Mike, Ben, and me previously on weekdays there wasn’t much need for a hierarchy. We all founded the site and we all took care of business. But with six contributors during the week we need a figurehead. It is with great pleasure that I introduce River Ave. Blues’s first Editor-In-Chief, Mike Axisa. He’s really grabbed the reigns of RAB in 2011, and now he’s the big boss.

While this announcement represents a significant change at RAB, we clearly believe that it will create a more enjoyable experience. Larry, Moshe, and Stephen all have distinct voices that will add variety to the site that we just couldn’t achieve with the three of us. It also takes a little of the load off Mike and me, though most notably Mike. That frees us up to take care of other RAB projects, which we also know you’ll enjoy. There are some exciting times ahead for all of us. We’re thankful that you’ve all come along for the ride.

1. Steve H. says:

Should we refer to you guys as the Heat or the Eagles?

Looking forward to it.

2. Virgil Earp says:

I thought Mike was already in charge since he makes by far the most posts. Does he get a pay raise?

3. bexarama says:

Congrats, guys. You’re all great and this only makes RAB more awesome, woop.

• Lidia says:

Buck Lake Live & 65Buck Lake Live & 65 … that is 65 years in the making.Buck Lake Live prluody presents Pastor Terry Owens, from 3 Rivers Worship Center, Fort Wayne, Indiana, Saturday evening, July 21st at 7 pm at Historic Buck Lake Ranch,Pastor Terry Owens delivers an enjoyable evening full of illusion. Come and have a refreshing evening of good clean Christian fun and discover how God has moved in Pastor Terry‘s life.Relive the memories of historic Buck Lake Ranch in Angola, Indiana.Admission and parking are free … and always a new program with new people every Saturday night.Mark your calendars, July 21st at 7 pm, for Pastor Terry Owens, “Illusionist” Live atBuck Lake Ranch,2705 West Buck Lake Road,Angola, Indiana.See you there!

4. Sam says:

Isn’t there some antitrust crap that’s supposed to block this?
    (Seriously, congrats all)

5. Greg Pomes says:

Sounds like Small Market Sandy has taken over. #FireSandyAlderson #FireTerryCollins

6. AMT says:

Great news and great moves. Ha, and we thought Cashman was the only ninja! Looking forward to good and insightful winter reading.

7. Eric says:

Congrats to Moshe and Larry. It’s been a pleasure working with them both, and they will be a great addition to the already-stellar RAB staff.

8. I just hope that the 2012 RAB season doesn’t end in a collapse of fried chicken and beer. (Congrats to all, you’re fantastic)

9. JGS says:

Huge congrats. Looking forward to all the new content.

10. Jesse says:

So Mike won’t be writing as much?

Sad face.

• Joey says:

The Editor-in-Chief title I like for him (although I strongly believe Supreme Overlord of RAB would be better) but less writing by my favorite writer is no bueno papi!

11. BigBlueAL says:

Nice to have Moshe writing here now.

12. Avi says:

Moshe now on RAB?
    BEST. NEWS. OF. THE. SEASON.
    He’s truly a great analyst. This blog has a murders’ row of writers.
    I’m pumped!

13. Tipsie says:

This site is fantastic; my attention is held several times a day, even through the long & cold winter. Thanks guys.

14. Moshe Mandel says:

I just want to thank the blogfathers here at RAB for bringing me aboard and giving me a chance to contribute to their fantastic site. I look forward to interacting with all of you regularly.

• handtius says:

don’t you already interact regularly? you’ve been hanging around since the infancy, until they brought you aboard. i did the same thing at my favorite skateshop back in the 90s when i was wet behind the ears. Congrats Moshe. Always loved your comments in articles and game threads…and your writing is damn fine as well. look forward to seeing more of it.

15. I like the Looking back looking forward guy. Any guy who uses Beavis to state a point is a friend of mine.

16. Rey22 says:

Just need to trade Melky + IPK for Peter Gammons and you’re set with a lineup of all-stars.

Love the site, keep up the great work.

17. Bernies House says:

Ha! Typical, just like the Yankees you guys buy all the best writers. Now go win a bunch of blog titles. Just don’t sign someone to be RAB’s A-Rod. Or is that Hannah for all the irrational hate she gets? =)

18. J_Yankees says:

Moshe and Larry couldn’t win their own blog titles so they try to ride Mike’s coattails to the ship. Losers.

(Kidding of course.. Congrats guys!!!)

19. Mister D says:

Congratulations all around. I love TYA, so I welcome Moshe and Larry, but since I read both, I suppose its just a lateral move. Hopefully there are bigger and better things in store for both sites.

20. mbonzo says:

Great, just when I thought I wasted enough time on here.

Sounds like a great move for the site.

21. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I love this site and I’m at the point now where I can’t envision following the Yankees without RAB. I’m really looking forward to the new writers.

22. Congrats to Larry and Moshe! I love reading your articles and interacting with you guys on twitter, and I can’t wait to see what you’re going to bring to the table at RAB. The best Yankees blog on the Internet just got better.

23. handtius says:

Congrats RAB. I’ve been reading your blog since pre-save the big three (even got the shirt, but it shrunk and doesn’t fit my 2 yr old nephew. I demand reparations!). My commenting slowed over the years as work got more and more demanding, but I still read every article. Thank you guys for keeping this place an interesting read. You keep writing, I’ll keep reading.

24. RaeGun says:

Awesome news. Now I wonder, who would have a better off season, RAB or the Yankees?

25. Braun says:

NoMaas is better.

26. the Oberamtmann says:

Are Mike, Joe, and Ben still the only ones we can call RABbies? Because they need something distinguishing. what does that make the newbies? And how come only Axisa gets a title?

Watch out, Mike. Joe’s only giving you a title and a position to drown you with paperwork so he can slow your productivity and catch up to you!

27. Steve S. says:

Congrats to Mo and Larry, two terrific writers and even better dudes.

28. RobC says:

good to have Moshe. It was through a blog he was on that I found RAB years ago.

29. LarryM.,Fl. says:

I have been a Yankee fan since the middle ’50′s. As a kid you would read about the Yanks from the Daily News or long Island Press. Now, I log onto RAB and read about the Yanks. These readings are insightful and have brought a more knowledge of the game. I especially enjoy the front office chatter and reporting which gives a total aspect of putting a winning team on the field.

Now RAB is growing. I appreciate your efforts and look forward to all the new reports from all the writers and from the comment section.

Thanks again.

30. Jake H says:

Congrats guys. Site will be even better.

31. rbizzler says:

Great news. Cheers to old and new members of the RAB family. Thanks again for all of your hard work.

32. Davey says:

Moshe lands a new gig and goes on vacation the first week? bush league!

33. Jimmy says:

I’ve been following Moishe and Larry for a couple years. Anyone following RAB regularly can expect some great stuff from them. Welcome aboard and good luck.

34. theyankeewarrior says:

Congrats, guys. Keep up the good work.

35. BJ says:

Sorry Mike, I’m happy for you and I’ma let you finish, but River Ave. Blues has one of the best Yankees blogs of all time!

In all seriousness, congrats to Mike, and welcome to the new writers.

36. Henry says:

That’s AWESOME!!!! I am one of the original RAB followers, although I don’t comment as much now that I’m out of college as I don’t have much time anymore, I’m still an avid reader via my iPhone! You guys are doing GREAT!!!

37. Damian says:

I was hoping Ted Nelson would be in the new lineup, batting cleanup.

38. Undertaker's Dong says:

I mean I think Mike might be a fine choice for figurehead, BUT you should have really chosen me. I BRING IT.

39. Jumpin' Jack Swisher (formerly Jorge) says:

Congrats to you all. A surefire sign of success.

40. JCYanks says:

This is awesome.Congrats to everyone at RAB.
    BUT PLEASE TELL ME I hope you didnt include any opt-outs in their contracts Joe.

But Seriously
    Dawn of a new era. I look forward to the greatness ahead. Congrats

41. JohnnyC says:

Whatever. ’86 Mets blogs woulda wiped the floor with you guys.

/Strawberry’d

42. Heisenberg says:

I’m still waiting for the “What Went Right: Mike Axisa” from one of you guys, complete with stats.

It needs to be done; his counting stats should be huge, with rate stats like VORP (poster) to show his value to the team.

• Mike HC says:

He was being overused and abused like Torre did to Proctor. Happy to see they made some changes before he got completely burned out like Proctor.

43. Clint Holzner says:

Can we just call Axisa “The Godfather” now, like in Old School?

44. Ghost says:

Mike, Joe, and Ben will always be known as the original “Big three” to us, not Phil, Joba, and Ian!

45. Mike HC says:

Definitely very smart off season moves. Much needed improvement. I am glad to have been around during the RAB dynasty years, ha, but shit evolves for better or worse, and I think these writer additions are going to bring some positive new blood and energy in.

46. Rockdog! says:

Congratulation to Mike, and welcome to RAB, Larry and Moshe. I have read their stuff for a while now, and it like it. Having more thoughful, informed contributors is a good thing. Hopefully it will make the offseason seem to go a little bit faster.

47. JCK says:

It’s not even fair anymore — you guys just aren’t giving the other Yankees blogs a chance! The commissioner of blogging needs to install some competitive balance.

Congrats to Mike! Can’t wait to read more from Larry and Moshe (already off to a great start today!).

48. Rainbow Connection says:

Great news. I love them on TYA. Will TYA still exist?

49. Sticky says:

Then, by factoring QuotesChimp such as ease of claims services and the availability of an easy payment plan, you should be able to make an informed and intelligent decision about your insurance.

50. Nelia says:

Where should QuotesChimp start? Based on a classic Oriental saying, the greatest trip starts with an individual measure. The initial step in turning into a sensible insurance buyer is really to comprehend the nuts-and-bolts of the way that insurance operates.