Nov

Montero talks Wilson Ramos, still plans to go home this winter

By now you’ve heard about the ordeal endured by Nationals’ catcher Wilson Ramos, who was kidnapped from his home (at gunpoint) in Venezuela before being rescued two days later. Jesus Montero grew up near Ramos and played with him as a kid, so the incident hit a little closer to home for him. “He is my friend,” said Montero to Roger Rubin. “I felt sad because I’ve known him for a long time. I was really worried when I saw the news. I was crying a little bit. It’s not an easy situation he was living. Thank God everything is fine and the police, they took care of it.”

Despite Ramos’ incident and several others in recent years, Montero is still planning to go home to Venezuela for about a month in December. “You’ve got to be careful where you go or where you are,” he said to Dan Martin. “Venezuela is not easy. You’ve got to know where you’re at and you’ll be good.” Montero hasn’t hired any kind of private security, he just plans to stay at home and with his family a lot, and be extra cautious when he goes out. After his trip home, he’s heading to Miami to train with Alex Rodriguez and Kevin Long.

Categories : Asides

1. Jimmy McNulty says:

Montero would take those punk ass bitches himself.

2. such a terrible way to live. I know it’s hard to tell these athletes to not go home, but dam…

3. camilo says:

yanks must’ve hired some burnt spies on jesus’ behalf, no

4. Dave B says:

I wish he’d stay in Miami and have his family move to the states. You would think he’d be safer than average because he’s not ungodly wealthy yet, but it’s not like Ramos is bringing down tons of money either. As a matter of fact, the two players are very similar with Montero clearly having much higher upside. Very scary to Yankee fans.

5. Bavarian Yankee says:

nobody will ever be afraid to go home because you know … it’s their home.

6. Rich in NJ says:

The Yankees should consider paying for some protection for him.

“…he’s heading to Miami to train with Alex Rodriguez and Kevin Long.”

That sounds great.

7. LarryM.,Fl. says:

He’s a big boy. Knows the situation in his country. He has made his decision. I hope its correct.

8. Monteroisdinero says:

I hope Jesus can help ARod turn on inside fastballs……

9. Fin says:

It can’t hurt for Montero to go work with one of the best hitters to ever live, and happens to keep himself in tremendous shape. Seems Montero is a bit lacking in the work out dept.

10. Avi says:

The Yanks should send Mitre to Venezuela with Jesus.

11. RadarOReilly says:

“I was crying a little bit.”

And Jesus wept.

12. Billion$Bullpen says:

I for one would prefer Alex to go to Venezuela and for Montero to work with Pena and Girardi this winter, in the USA.

And super ROFL at this “when you look at pics of most of our vets when they were 20/21, the amount of muscle they put on in the next 5-10 years is impressive.”

Well I wonder why? Big mystery. Must be Bib Papi milk shakes mixed A-Rod Bole!

• Monteroisdinero says:

Not necessarily. It can be natural too if you believe Jeter/Posada and tons of others who never drank the drink….

• Mike Axisa says:

That’s just stupid. We all know the only way to put on muscle during your 20′s is to take PEDs.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

Naturally one will put on weight and muscle weight if they take care of themselves the right way when they move from their early twenties to their later 20′s / early to mid 30′s. That is correct.

I am not telling others how to think but to me when you do PED’s I am done with you. I also suspect there are players I like and root for that have and continue to do PED’s, but when its out there, I am no longer a fan of that player. As for Jeter and Posada, it really would not shock me if any player tested positive anymore. With all Jeter says about the subject if he came up dirty I think it would be a long time before I ever went to another game or would want to be an active fan of MLB. I know that sounds dumb, but it would sadden me to some dregree. As a father it is hard enough to even promote interest in pro or college sports to my family with all the bs going on these days.

The lesson that I took out of this many years ago is to not idolize anybody you do not know personally, and sports are really not all that important. The young people that go to Penn State who are rallying about the wrong issues right now need to learn that asap.