Nov

Thanksgiving Day Open Thread

Thanksgiving is easily my favorite holiday of the year. I loved Christmas as a kid because of all the gifts, but now that I’m old I love Turkey Day a lot more. You just can’t beat the best meal of the year. I hope you have a great holiday and are spending it with lots of family and friends, and not here in this silly open thread. For those of you that do stop by today, there’s a video of some Don Mattingly highlights to enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Mickey S says:

Happy Turkey Day RAB! I’m thankful for my family and the glorious articles daily on RAB! Keep up the amazing work!

2. LiterallyFigurative says:

Happy Thanksgiving to RAB and all it’s visitors.

Food, family and football, what could be better?

3. LiterallyFigurative says:

Great clips of Robinson Cano’s offense and Mark Teixiera’s defense….

Wait….that was ONE guy? He was special!

(FWIW, Mattingly is my second favorite Yank of all-time, next to Bernie Williams.)

4. Jesse says:

Thanksgiving is the best holiday of the year, easy. Christmas, although it’s great, is massively overrated.

That is all. Happy Thanksgiving, and Go Yankees.

• Craig Maduro says:

I wouldn’t say Christmas is massively overrated. You get another big feast, get/give some gifts and spend more time with friends and family – especially since New Years is kind of lumped into mix.

I do think Thanksgiving is underrated though.

5. CapitalT says:

Great highlight from LF

Did you notice the empty stands on his HR against Boston. times have changed

6. RkyMtnYank says:

Thanks for the awesome highlights of my fav all time Yankee! Happy turkey day all!!

7. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Donnie baseball was also one of my favorites. It’s a shame that he played in those pitcherless teams. The first time that he was primed for postseason in 94 there was the strike. In 95 he proved what he could do. Losing was not his fault then.

• RkyMtnYank says:

I hear ya, he’s what got me through all those 80′s teams that proved you can’t simply buy a championship … regardless of popular opinion! :)

8. Monteroisdinero says:

Seeing Donnie the homegrown talent raking it at the plate in his prime and in good health. The man was a legend in those days.

We will be seeing this phenomemon again…..

soon.

9. Jimmy says:

Wow that clip brought back some good times. Those guys out there who didn’t see Don Mattingly play don’t know what you missed. Thanks, Mike.

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

10. pat says:

Everybody was so skinny back then…

11. Andrew says:

damn cowboys

12. MannyGeee says:

Well then… I ate too goddam much today… I love this holiday!!!

13. Billion$Bullpen says:

“hang on to the roof” when Donnie hit that homer i got goose bumps and the hair on the back of my neck stood up

Donnie is the man, thanks for the clips and extra bonus points on the old clips before he was rocking 23. If you could ever do another one on Donnie please try for some of his text book doubles.

14. Frankeee1 says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Thank you for the video link. Great shot of Jorge & Bernie celebrating one of Mattingly’s last home runs at the very end of the clip. (was it the last?) Forgot Jorge was around in ’95. Great moment bridging two generations of Yankee teams. Those of us lucky enough to have seen him play everyday know how good he was. I understand all the arguments for why he is not in the hall, but those six years where the best I have ever seen (without steroids) in my 40 odd years of watching this great game.

15. Engelbert says:

Rizzuto sounds like the best announcer ever. So much life and so much enthusiasm. If only Michael Kay and John Flaherty could be like him… or never announce again.

16. Gonzo says:

Happy Leftover Weekend!

MLBTR just pointed out how the new CBA possibly screwed Jorge Soler.

17. nick says:

christmas is the best IMO. i love thanksgiving and seeing the family, however not a huge fan of turkey (which skews my opinion obviously). Love our xmas dinner menu of sirloin, penne alla vodka, shrimp, clams, more so than thanksgiving menu of turkey, mashed tatoes, etc. Only thing that thanksgiving has on xmas day is that football is on instead of NBA.

hope everyone had a great day.