Nov

Yankees shut out of Gold Glove awards

Via Chad Jennings, no Yankees will be taking home a Gold Glove award this year. Adrian Gonzalez and Dustin Pedroia beat out Mark Teixeira and Robinson Cano at first and second bases, respectively, while Alex Gordon edged Brett Gardner in left field. The first two are nothing to get worked up over, but I think we all know that Gardner deserved the award for his work in left this season. Hopefully he hits enough to win a Gold Glove one of these years.

In other news, Gardner did win the left field Fielding Bible Award for the second consecutive season, an award that does a much better job of reflecting defensive value than the Gold Gloves. There’s only one Fielding Bible Award per position too, not one per league.

Categories : Asides

1. Greg says:

Gardner’s too streaky of a hitter at this point to put up good offensive numbers so the gold glove might be out of reach for now.

• mbonzo says:

You need to get over the fact that he’s not gonna hit in the same league as the superstars. He led the AL in stolen bases and was the best fielder at his position. The guy posted the 3rd highest WAR on the team, get over the league average contact numbers.

• Soriano Is A Liar says:

I think most fans who read this site are over it. That comment just reflects the fact that many voting writers are still hung up on it, which is a shame, because seriously, Alex Gordon?

• Greg says:

Actually I want him to hit at least .280. With his speed, he is capable of doing that.

But I didn’t want him to hit with the superstars.

And you’re right, they are hung up on it.

• Greg says:

I’m not expecting him to hit .320. I just want him to hit .280-.290

• mbonzo says:

I think you’re too concerned with the average. OBP means more to a guy like Gardner. For a 9 hole batter, posting a .364 OBP and scoring 184 runs over the last 2 years is way above average. He’s the 3rd ranked left fielder based on WAR, behind Alex Gordon and Ryan Braun, ranking .1 higher than Matt Holiday who hit .296 and made $16.5m more. So the Yankees have a very good deal with this Gardner guy.

• Urban says:

Agreed. What Gardner’s brings to the team are not immediately evident to some fans, or his skills are not always appreciated: Great fielding, base running, OBP, and driving up pitch counts. He’s different than other types of players the Yankees have had in recent years, adding an additional element that complements the overall team.

His streakyness can be trying at times since he’s the type of hitter who should be able to avoid long slumps, but overall there’s way more to like than not like here.

2. Mark says:

“Hopefully he hits enough to win a Gold Glove one of these years.”

This sums up the stupidity of the Golden Glove Awards.

3. mbonzo says:

Posted this in the Open Thread,
    Ellsbury, Gordon, and Markakis combine for 21 UZR/150, Gardner was at 29.5 UZR/150 alone.

4. FIPster Doofus says:

I shouldn’t get angry or annoyed at something so worthless, but what a fucking joke. Andre Ethier has more Gold Gloves than Brett Gardner. Let that sink in.

• Bavarian Yankee says:

THIS is the real joke: Andre Ethier is one of the worst (if not THE worst) outfielder in the last 2-3 years in the big leagues. And wins a Gold Glove? TWICE? That tells you what a joke this award is.

5. Sarah says:

So the Gold Gloves are now the Bronze Glove + Bat awards?

Gardy wasn’t gritty enough, was that the problem? He makes it look easy?

Stupid thing to be upset over but I can’t help myself.

• Greg says:

I just want to see more respect for the Yankees in general. This sport wouldn’t even be close to where it is without the Yankees. Just because they 27 rings. doesnt mean that they can get shutout for postseason awards.

6. Karl Krawfid says:

Asdrubal should have won right? Right?

7. mtrico says:

Absurd that Gardner did not win the gold glove, utterly absurd.

8. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Long live the Fielding Bible!

9. Jesse says:

This is fucking bullshit. I haven’t been more pissed off in my life. Someone or something needs to die because of this. This is beyond unacceptable. The people who voted against Gardner need to be striped of their vote forever. Just ridiculous. Absolutely absurd.

10. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I love how people on MLB.com are complaining about east coast bias when Andre Ethier won over Ryan Braun and Shane Victorino and Brett Gardner got snubbed for Alex Gordon.

11. China Joe says:

“Three well-deserved Gold Gloves for the Red Sox. Their commitment to defense is what led to their triumph of the Blue Jays and Orioles in the AL East standings this year.”

-ESPN

12. Favrest says:

That’s obscene. Teixeira is the best defensive first baseman in the game, and it’s not even close. Adrian Gonzalez isn’t even the second best in the league.

• Love Tex but a lot of defensive metrics would say Gonzalez is definitely in the conversation and in most cases, the rightful winner. Not a knock on Tex, but give credit where credit is due, and it is due to Adrian Gonzalez.

• Soriano Is A Liar says:

Agreed. Even if you just want to go by the eye test, I think most would objectively agree Tex and A-gon are both pretty similar defensively. Gardner’s snub is way more egregious than Tex, who simply lost out to another equally talented defender.

13. Dino Velvet says:

C’mon, Pedoria?

Even McCarver said Mr Gritt unnecessarily dives for balls

14. pat says:

Good. I hope Ellsbury wins the MVP too. Lotta hardware for a team that didn’t make the playoffs.

15. Cuso says:

was there any doubt they’d give it to Pedroia over Cano? they got their rocks off on that one….

But noone will make a big deal about the award bias the Sox get until Ellsbury beats out Bautista for MVP.

Because then, ya know, it’d be a story…

BBWAA = lemmings

16. Dino Velvet says:

They might as well award Lackey the Cy Young.

17. Hardy says:

No GG for Derek just because he was injured for a few weeks? Bullshit!

18. Widget says:

Yet Ellsbury defensive hightlight play of the season is running into a wall in Baltimore. Keep up the good work chief bushy eyebrows.

19. mt says:

Austin Jackson is also probably not pleased – he made some bonehead plays in playoffs but I thought it was widely accepted that he was the best centerfielder in AL – Ellsbury’s bat helped Jacoby get award.

Also I guess I do not watch Angels enough to get a sense of Aybar but I also thought this was to be the year of Asdrubral Cabrera.

Just glad Jeter is not on list because that is where 100% of focus from media would be.

Gordon had 20 assists and Gardner had 7 so I am sure that got a lot of attention – not sure that difference should preclude Gardner from winning (Fuld had 5 assists- not sure why Fuld was nominated; had a lot of highlight plays in first half but I never saw him on the field when Boston and Yanks played all those games with Tampa in second half – he only played 75 games total.).

I did not see Gordon a lot but he also probably got attention because he is a converted infielder (and of course, his bat.)

• Tom says:

The Fielding Bible awards (not an official award, but done by people who have a clue); gave Jackson the CF nod, they also obviously gave Gardner the LF award. (And they do one for all of MLB not by league… Gardner was near unanimous)

20. Foghorn Leghorn says:

hell, give all of the post season awards to the Sox…who the hell cares for that consolation when the team just imploded and continues to implode each and every day. Ellsbury is as good as gone anyway. He will leave as soon as he gets the chance after what transpired last year.

They don’t have a manager and are looking at first time guys that have no ties to Boston…I just don’t see that working with a veteran team that clearly had strong personality issues in that clubhouse.

They get no shot at Larussa or CC…even the chance to drive his price up even more for the Yanks. They have to pick up the option on Scutaro b/c the guy who will eventually have the Gold Glove award named after him – Iglesias – can’t hit for crap.

I bet they don’t sign Papelbon and end up way over paying for Ortiz.

Larry Luchino seems like a real nice guy…glad he’s in charge of everything.

21. NEPA Yankee says:

Two quick points, maybe interesting, probably not. Went to compare Gardner and Gordon on MLB site, Gordon listed as RF. Did he play more games in RF than LF? I know its splitting hairs about a bullshit award, but just saying. Also, checked the voting breakdown on the FBA site, Robbie didn’t get votes from 3 voters. 3 voters believe Robbie Cano is not one of the top 10 second basemen in baseball? I’d like to know how the panel of experts was picked. I think one of them may be the kid in the high chair who doesn’t want cash back from his bank card.

22. Klemy says:

Jesus. What a farce.

23. Ro says:

Sorry Adrian Gonzalez did not have a better season at first over Tex. Yeah sure Tex didn’t hit .300, but he is the superior defensive 1st baseman. Spare me the UZR and sabermetrics. What a freaking joke and Dustin freaking Pedroia. How have things gotten to the point where there is so much Red Sox bias in the voting of these things? None of those players should have been awarded individual awards based on their collective performance on the field. Guess what their great defense contributed too? Nothing. A seat on the bus on September 30th. So the voters want to count hitting? Why not count the final overall result and the fact the team committed something like 25-30 errors in the month of Sept alone. Gold Gloves should be awarded for exceptional play to the players that make it to the post season. Call it somewhat of a consolation prize should players of these teams not advance to the WS. This isn’t the Cy Young or the MVP. The one that pisses me off the most is Gonzalez, because it’s flat out wrong.

24. Urban says:

I do think Pedroia is a bit of a hotdog and dives for show at times, but I also think he’s overall a better defensive player than Cano because he has a little better range, so I don’t have an issue with that selection; Gonzalez over Teixeira to me is a tough one to argue either way. Both are fine fielders, and I think Gonzalez won the award because he was viewed as having a better offensive season. Tex has a rebound year hitting wise and he’ll probably win the award again. Kind of illlustrates the nonsense in the voting.

Gordon over Gardner is a joke. Gordon is not a good defensive OFer and his assists are a product of teams challenging him because he’s not a good defensive OFer.

• Sarah says:

Keith Law and Eric Karabell concur that outfield assists are just because no one is scared to run on Alex Gordon. Stupid.