Dec

Levine: We have money to improve the team

Via Mark Hale, team president Randy Levine confirmed that the team has money left to upgrade the roster despite reports to the contrary. “There’s obviously room to improve the team,” said Levine. “I don’t like to get into the amounts, but obviously there’s room to improve the team … We intend to always improve in whichever way we can. So far, after [CC Sabathia], as far as large contracts, we haven’t done anything. But that’s really our choice.”

I roughly estimated that the Yankees are sitting on a payroll of about $197MM right now, but I wouldn’t take that number as gospel. It’s just an estimation and the error bars are probably in the $10M range. There’s really only three players left on the market that would require a contract in excess of $10M per year (Hiroki Kuroda, Edwin Jackson, Roy Oswalt), but I don’t see the Yankees going after any of those guys at that price. The bench still has to be addressed, but so far the Yankees haven’t spent any money because there really hasn’t been anyone worth spending it on.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Mike HC says:

And here we all were thinking the Yanks were broke with no more money. Happy Levine cleared that up for us.

• Peter R says:

I am sure Levine will get a mental punch in the face from Cashman who has done a great job trying to get everyone to think the Yanks are broke.

• Elvin says:

If it wasn’t for the luxury tax, the Yankees can easily support a $300 million team payroll, and I’m just being generous

• viridiana says:

Levine takes a lot of heat because the Yankees have always used him as the hatchet man — mainly to deliver harsh and unpleasant messages. Nice to himn get a chance to be the bearer of some some (hopefully) good news.

• Bob Loblaw says:

They missed the second part if that quote.. it read like this:

“We have money to improve the team… and I will personally make sure it is spent in the most unnecessary and irresponsible ways imaginable”

2. Peter R says:

Sounds good to me, all of it.

3. nedro says:

We need more setup men!

4. joek says:

He’s such an idiot the Yankees only stand to gain from people thinking they have nothing to spend

5. Mike Myers says:

Between all the choices, I would go Oswalt. Even if he misses half the season, you still get 15-18 starts from an elite (cose to elite anyway) pitcher. We would really be buying him in the hopes of a playoff run anyway. If you are going to roll the dice, I would say go for upside.

• Mickey S says:

I agree whole-heartedly. Worth the gamble and on a one year deal, it’s not too much of a risk. If he does get hurt or misses time, then you give a spot start to the AAA depth without them feeling all Hughes and Kennedy’d ala ’08.

• Need Pitching says:

that only works out if he’s healthy for the playoffs though. they need the upside much more in the postseason than the regular season

6. jsbrendog says:

can he please keep his big stupid mouth shut? i fucking hate this guy

7. crawdaddie says:

Levine doing the Yankees no favor opening up his mouth.

8. Rich in NJ says:

When Levine decides how the money is spent they don’t necessarily get better.

9. Rich in NJ says:

If their scouts really like him, spend the money on Cespedes.

10. William says:

Placing a bet now that Levine going to spend all the money to get a life.

11. Mike says:

F it . . .Pull the trigger on something LEVINE . Make it interesting !

12. Gonzo says:

Madson baby! Come on down!

Seriously, this could be a strategic statement. Maybe they want to raise the price of pitching for the Sox, or hell, maybe they just want to save face. Who knows.

13. ZZzzzzzzz says:

I smell a Boras signing…. E Jax on a bad contract.

14. Rainbow Connection says:

Levine has a lot of credibility.

15. Graig not Craig says:

The Yankees have money? That’s the newsflash for today? I’ve got more newsflashes for you. Derek Jeter has a big house. John Sterling uses nicknames for players in his home run calls. Brett Gardner enjoys diving into first base. Alex Rodriguez eats popcorn. There you go. All the news that’s fit to print.

16. Fernando says:

He’s making a list
    He’s checking it twice
    Gotta find out
    If he oughta buy at this price
    Randy Levine is…a clown!

I say let’s get Cashman an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action,
    Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! Maybe he’ll shoot out Levine.

17. Mrpappageorgio says:

Levine is a dicksneeze, but if cash thinks he’ll get lucky again with Hughes, a.j., Garcia, and nova he’s smoking crack. That may get you to the ALDS but that’s all the farther they’ll get.

• Need Pitching says:

“I don’t like this new era of frugality. If the Boss were still alive, our staff would look different.”

yeah, big Stein probably would have made Cash trade Montero and Banuelos for Jiminez at the deadline last year

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

Well, for one, the Boss would still be owner. I guess that would make the staff look different.

I need to use the term “dicksneeze” more often.

• JMK says:

Dicksneeze. Nice, I like that.

18. Adam says:

Available, unnecessary relievers coming off of career years all just got really excited out of no where and without knowing why.

19. Rainbow Connection says:

Am I the only one who realizes that Randy Levine and Dan Shaughnessy are one in the same???

20. Yank The Frank says:

Cashman should take Levine rappeling with him next time and cut the rope.

21. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

Uh, how did Randy Levine get loose? I need to learn to tie better knots.

22. CJ says:

Trade Martin and Garcia, start kids.
    $7m + $4 m + $10m=
    sign prince fielder

• Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

You’re right. It would be fun to watch Betances whip fastballs 2 feet over the batters head, then watch Montero lumber over, recover the ball, and sail it into right center, all while $21mm sits on the bench gaining more weight.

• CJ says:

I don’t worry about princes weight. Did you worry about wells and CC packing it on every 4 out if 5 days?
        Noesi/phelps banuelos in July
        Montero, romine, cervelli catch, if they can’t do it now, what are we waiting for?
        Prince capable of a 50+ hr season and an MVP year
        ARod hitting ahead of prince he will regain .950 OPS

23. Bill says:

It sounds like once again there is a an internal debate about whether or not to pursue a guy like Kuroda. I use Kuroda as he is the one guy the Yankees have shown interest in but claimed money was the object. With Darvish the bid was so low that it was clear the Yankees interest was not real enough to spend. With Kuroda it seems there are some Levine included that feel the Yankees have the money to land him while Cashman and others don’t think he is worth the investment it would take. If this is in fact the case I tend to side with Levine given that its a 1 year investment and won’t tie up any long term resources, but its not my money (although its not Cashman’s either).

In the end though I think Cashman wins this battle after the Soriano signing last year backfired.

24. dan gen says:

they better do something, season tickets renewals are due the middle of january….and i am the renewing with this team…get both cubans!