Jan

Open Thread: Rob Cano

(AP Photo/Gail Burton)

Over the last two season, no player has been more integral to the Yankees’ success than Robinson Cano. Well, maybe CC Sabathia, but we’ll stick to position players tonight. Cano, who turned 29 back in October, has hit .311/.365/.533 with 87 doubles and 57 homers since the start of the 2010 season. In terms of fWAR (12.1) and bWAR (10.9), Robbie’s been the 10th and 11th best position player in all of baseball over the last two seasons, respectively.

Eleven years ago today, the Yankees signed Cano as an international free agent out of the Dominican Republic for just $150k. That’s $25k less than they gave Melky Cabrera the very same year. Cano has been the Yankees’ best homegrown position player since Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada, an MVP candidate who’s come into his own as one the game’s best players over the last few seasons. Is there a player on the team more fun to watch hit? I don’t think so.

* * *

Here is tonight’s open thread. The only local team in action is the Rangers, who Time Warner customers still won’t be able to watch because the Dolans pulled MSG. Use this thread to talk about anything your heart desires, it’s all good.

Categories : Open Thread

1. I love Robbie. Hopefully they get an extension done soon. Couldn’t picture him in another uniform.

• Guns of Navarone says:

And as bad as it may sound, I don’t want him to use his leverage to make the Yankees overpay for him. The Yankees track record with this sort of thing hasn’t been great.

2. Brooklyn Ed says:

Best MLB comparison for Brad Meyers and Cesar Cabral?

3. Mark says:

Realistically where would he go, rather who else could afford him and accomodate a 2nd baseman?

4. vin says:

Rob Cano? Sounds like when the Pirates insisted on referring to Roberto Clemente as “Bobby” so he would appeal more to the white audience. Crazy.

• Preston says:

Except that it’s not the same at all… Robinson is not a Latin name, his father wanted to name him after Jackie Robinson, so there is no cultural bias for the shortening. Mike was just saving space.

• vin says:

Yeah, I know Mike wasn’t doing that. And if Cano was playing 40+ years ago, I definitely wouldn’t put it past someone doing that back then.

5. Stratman9652 says:

Robbie Cano, when all is said and done: more or less of a household name than Jeter?

• Plank says:

Much, much less. My mom knows Jeter, she probably doesn’t know Cano.

Cano is much more likable in my eyes, however.

• MannyGeee says:

Less…. By far. The Derek Jeter Machine was well underway by the time he made it to this point in Robbie’s career.

That said, I think I’ll remember Cano as a better player, unfairly overshadowed by megastars in pinstripes and midget douches in Boston

• radnom says:

You’ll remember wrong then, and its really not close. Don’t let the over hyped ‘intangibles’ blind you to how good Jeter was.

• Guns of Navarone says:

Yeah, no shit. Jeter’s career has become so overrated in popular opinion that I think it’s underrated now. If that makes sense…

• radnom says:

How can you really overrate one of the top 5 SS ever? I think the saber crowd (which I consider myself a part of) mostly hates him because the media hype over his intangibles and the silence on his defensive issues. As a pure talent, he is worthy of his status.

• radnom says:

And by ‘hates’ I obviously don’t mean hates, I mean underrate. Not that there weren’t plenty of people absolutely relishing writing him off earlier this year, however.

• Plank says:

I think the backlash is because he’s really not top 5. He’s more like top 10. He’s clearly in a group below the top echelon of SSs. He’s in the Barry Larkin/Alan Trammell group just below the Honus Wagner/Arod group.

The constant argument is one group saying he’s top 5, and another group quite rightly is saying he’s not quite in that group.

• Steve S. says:

He won’t even be top 5 as a Yankee.

Ruth
                Gehrig
                DiMaggio
                Mantle
                Rivera
                Ford
                A-Rod
                Berra

Maybe we can have a debate about Berra, but there’s no way he cracks the top 5.

• CP says:

The Jeter vs ARod as a SS is interesting. At this point, Jeter has accumulated more WAR (or had a better career if you’re not sabermetrically inclined) as a SS than ARod did. Obviously ARods peak is much higher, but he was a SS for roughly half as many games as Jeter.

• Plank says:

When discussing the relative merits of each player as a SS, I think it’s necessary to mention that Arod moved off the position in the prime of his career to massage Jeter’s ego.

Arod is still 1 HR away from the all time lead at the position.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Well no shit since ARod has half the time at SS as Jeter. ARod even being in the discussion in terms of WAR speaks to how great he was as a SS.

• radnom says:

Go ahead, back that up if its so clear.

I personally would put him in the top 5, but I will admit that an argument could be made to put him just outside it – but not very far. Regardless, you’re splitting hairs to prove my exact point. Exact personal rankings aside, we are talking about one of the all time greats, how overrated can he be.

• Plank says:

Despite your schoolyard taunt and the fact that you are the one making the claim that he’s in the top 5, ok.

SSs clearly better than Jeter:

Honus Wagner
                  ***Gap***
                  Arod
                  ***Gap***
                  Cal Ripken
                  ***Huge Gap***
                  George Davis
                  Robin Yount

Next group:

Jeter, Appling, Cronin, Larkin, Trammell, PeeWee Reese, Ozzie Smith

Nothing wrong with saying he’s top 10, even saying he may be a top 5 SS is fine, but when he gets put in the upper pantheon as a no brainer top 5, it is just wrong.

• Now Batting says:

I’d take Jeter over Cal. Even if you disagree he isn’t “clearly better”.

• Plank says:

I think he is clearly better when you factor in the offensive eras they played in and the replacement SS in their respective eras, but okay.

• Now Batting says:

Did you factor in Jeter’s clearly superior OBP/BA? Also has him edged in SLG and OPS+ (to account for eras).

• Plank says:

I did.

Ripken played in an era when offense from SS just didn’t happen. Jeter didn’t.

• Now Batting says:

Ok? If Jeter played in Ripkens era he’d still be better and vice versa. Not his fault he played in the era of roided up shortstops

• Plank says:

I’m not getting into a steroids debate, but every era immediately after expansion is accompanied by an explosion in offense. Jeter benefited just as much as every other player of that era from playing at that time.

Steroids were known and used for the entirety of Ripken’s career as well. So were amphetamines. Testing was not used during his era.

• RetroRob says:

I understand Wagner at the top, and A-Rod at #2 because of his dominance. I would draw the line after those two. I would rate Ripken above Jeter, yet I’m not too sure. After that, I can not rate George Davis ahead of Jeter. A turn-or-the-century player who played about 1300 games at SS, while spending lots of time in third and the OF. The problem with a lot of top-ten lists is they rate a players total career value, or even WAR value, and give all that credit to the position the player is identified with. So Davis gets all WAR credit at SS, even though his career was split at three positions, with SS being the most. Same with Robin Yount, is he really ahead of Jeter? His career as a SS ended at age 28 when he played 120 games there. Jeter’s already played 1,000 more games at SS and was highly productive as a player through his age-35 season. I can see why some might rate them ahead, but one can argue that the “next group” is all those players, and Jeter’s case is just as strong.

I would actually have Arky Vaughan at #3, and I rate Larkin ahead of Jeter, although I seem to be in the minority on this.

I have Jeter at #5.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

The media and the common fan treated him like a top 5 player during his peak years. He wasn’t which is why you can argue he has been overrated.

• RetroRob says:

I understand that, and years back I used to have these debates with non-Yankee fans on that very point. Jeter may be overrated by Yankee fans, but he was underrated by non-Yankee fans who would never recognize he strengths, and always focus on the negative.

When you enter a debate with someone who uses the word “overrated,” just end the conversation, because the very word is a conversation stopper. It says nothing about the player, but about perception. It’s the quicksand of debates. Anyone who uses it really isn’t serious about the debate.

• MannyGeee says:

Edgar Renteria
              John Valintin
              ****wicked lahhhgh gap****
              Jeter

/BoSox’d

• Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

Bravo. Yogi would understand perfectly what you are saying. I collect Yogisms. Tis one is very good.

• Dave203 says:

He has a long way to go before he can be on the same line as Jeter as a Yankee. His stats have been there so far, but Jeter has a been a Yankee for 17 years — the likelihood of Cano doing the same is slim. Cano at age 39 just doesn’t sound that appealing, but I’d love for him to prove me wrong.

• Preston says:

Love Robbie, but Jeter has hit for better average, taken more walks, ran the bases better, plays a more premium defensive position, as of right now has four more rings and put up an MVP caliber season at age 35. Robinson would have to maintain his peak well into his 30′s and be the best player on a lot of WS winners to top the Captain.

6. Plank says:

I think the new Yankees strategy should be to sign a player like Robert Cano every year from DR for $150K. Maybe even 2 or 3 players like that. They should go back to basics like they did 11 years ago today.

7. Rob says:

Didn’t know YES supported a country that wants to destroy the U.S.

8. Pat D says:

I guess those WAR numbers are why Dave Cameron said Cano was “not even in the discussion” for best player in baseball?

Of course, can we really trust Ryan Braun now…?

• Guns of Navarone says:

Dave Cameron’s said a lot of dumb shit lately. Or at least he’s voiced one-sided arguments that have proven to be wrong.

9. Jamey says:

Any word if Yankees have any interest in giving Prior another shot? He looked pretty good before going all MARK PRIOR on them.

10. Nathan says:

If only he could cut down on the bad pitch swings and draw more walks, he’d easily win an MVP award.

He can look great and look down right terrible the next at-bat.

11. Foghorn Leghorn says:

Best swing in baseball when he effortlessly turns on one and hits a rocket 400+ feet. One of the best things about Cano is right in that picture. That smile…the dude just loves playing the game.

I find it wildy ironic that Cano and Pedroia are playing for rivals in the same era. There couldn’t be two more opposite players. Cano makes everything look effortless and gets viewed as a slacker. Meanwhile Pedroia puts all 47 inches and 126 pounds of his body into everything he does. I bet he wears eye black to bed.

• Plank says:

Cano clearly spent too much time dozing under the banana plants. Pedroia ekes every single shred of ability he can.

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

I do wonder how Pedroia’s career will play out. Great player, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his production tails off a lot after 2-3 more years.

12. Craig says:

So, how about those Flyers fans beating up on two Rangers fans, one of which happens to be an ex-marine and cop? Apparently, a “fan” posted a confession on a fb fan page for the Flyers.

13. Foghorn Leghorn says:

Every now and then I venture over to Boston.com to read the Sox threads…mostly for laughs.

Well, today was just great. They got idiots on there saying they need to have Nava as the starting RF this year. Another poster said to move Pedrioa to SS.

You can’t make this stuff up….

14. RetroRob says:

A serious question. Should the Yankees consider trading Bob Cano (just trying the name on to see how it feels!)?

If CoJo continues to advance, and/or David Adams shows he’s fully recovred in 2012, then the Yankees could have a cheap 2Bman in house. The Yankees can then do what other teams have done, which is trade their high-end star just before his decline, and get back a package of top prospects who can help the Yankees and do it more cheaply. They can then take the money they were going to spend on Cano and direct it toward other players. If done properly, the Yankees can have a cheaper team, and a better team, and not pay Cano $20+ million a year for his age-32 to 38 seasons. I really think Cano’s lack of plate discipline will lead to a rapid decline by the time he hits 33/34.

The Yankees never do things like this, but times are a changin’. Maybe they should. Thoughts?

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

His initial decline may be better than Adams and CoJo’s peak combined.

• RetroRob says:

I agree with that. I don’t expect them to replace Cano’s production, but suggesting it might make sense for the Yankees to trade him at peak and the overall impact of the players received back, and the Cano money spent elsewhere would make the Yankees a better team.

Not saying they have to, but they may want to start considering moves like this if they really intend to remain competitive while controlling costs.

• Grit for Brains says:

Hypothetically speaking, you don’t let him walk for nothing…

• bankers hours says:

You’re nuts, the Yankees are not going to ever trade Cano, he’s their best player and is still getting better. He will be a Hall of Famer and go down as one of the greatest second basemen ever.

15. Gonzo says:

Who made up a trade rumor today?

Saw some reference to it on twitter.

16. Al says:

Watching baseball players age is like looking in the mirror.
    Rob is 29 ya all… Remembering him coming up back in Columbus Clippers days. Like yesterday, wow.

17. jjyank says:

Robbie has been my favorite player since Bernie retired. I loved him since day one, his swing is the sweetest I have seen since the heyday of Ken Griffey Jr. Disclaimer: I’m not saying he’s as good as Griffey Jr., but in my lifetime, those are the two guys who stick out in my mind with the most beautifully smooth swings.

18. Plank says:

What fish related player names are there?

I’ll start:

Tim Salmon
    Mike Trout
    Robert Fish

19. Jesse says:

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but I got a good kick out of this…

20. Total Dominication says:

Just something I’ve just realized. Not that such a thing is necessarily bad, but is this one of the least changed from the previous year 25 man rosters in recent years? I certainly don’t remember having the exact same rotation going into the year, the exact same top end of the bullpen, and the exact same position players. Only change is Montero for Posada. even the bench may turn out the same. Kinda cool. What do you guys think?

• Plank says:

Last year’s team was fairly similar to the 2010 Yankees, too.

I think it’s just a by-product of having lots of long term contracts and arb eligible guys, not necessarily by design.

The rotation isn’t the same. No Colon.

21. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

Over/Under on Ronnie/Sammi fake breakups this season:

22. Chop It Up says:

Bobinson Cano…that just happened.