Feb

Meet the Yankee: Michael Pineda

I was slumming through some video on MLB.com this morning, and I stumbled across this recent Yankees on Demand feature about Michael Pineda. He talks about the trade that brought him to New York, what he’s working on, stuff like that. His English is pretty good considering he’s only been in the States since 2008. Anyway, check it out. It’s a good way to kill some time on a lazy Sunday.

Categories : Players

1. love this kid…even more than I did before.

“I like to listen to the songs”

2. Juke Early says:

Just as Curtis Granderson came to the Bronx with great enthusiasm & showed it in his play, Michael Pineda has the same attitude. I hope he has balanced results – reeling off a 10 game win streak might create unreal expectations. But if he runs into a fluke blowout or some jag ump trying to make his name squeezing a young Yankee Sp, I want him to be able to shrug it off & bounce back strong w/o getting boohed. This could be a guy we count on for 7 or 8 seasons, especially if he gets the change rocking.

• Steve S. says:

some jag ump trying to make his name squeezing a young Yankee Sp,

Umpires get rated by MLB on how they match up with Pitch FX (among other things) they don’t need to build a rep like its the 1970s or something.

• Steve (different one) says:

And yet there are studies showing Mariano gets a bigger strike zone than other pitchers. Not saying what the poster suggested will happen, but the umps aren’t perfect either. On borderline pitches, it’s possible the veteran guys get a teeeeny more leeway.

• DM says:

A lot of leeway. If the count is 2-2, 3-2 and Rivera hits the glove 2 inches off the plate, you’re gonna get rung up. Glavine got away with that for years.

• Mike HC says:

There are also studies, and also just looking subjectively, that certain catchers consistently have a larger strike zone. Like Martin was one of the best at getting calls on the corner where Posada was likely one of the worst.

Basically, trying to call a 90 mph pitch on the corner is almost impossible for umps and they end up just guessing and giving calls to superstars and looking at the catcher instead of where the ball crossed the plate.

3. DSFC says:

I was one of the biggest haters of this trade you’ll find, but that’s all water under the bridge now. Now looking forward to hopefully watch Pineda develop into the next Yankee ace.

• Steve S. says:

Having CC on the same staff should help him. Both are big, tall guys that work off the FB and SL. There’s a reason why the Yanks put his locker next to Sabathia’s.

4. Steve S. says:

Early reports on the change up have been good, for whatever that’s worth. He needs a tool facing lefties, especially in YS3. If the change doesn’t work I guess they could try a cutter.

• MannyGeee says:

All he’s got is time to build that repertoire. Seems like a good kid, keep him away from A Rod and those poker playing she male centaur bitches…. Jus sayin

5. infernoscurse says:

ai like the cooking

6. FIPster Doofus says:

His ebullience excites me even further.

7. Ficus says:

de Jankee tean

8. mustang says:

Really nice sounds like a nice kid hopefully things will workout for him on the field. Hope he keeps up with the cooking not that he is going to need it, but women really dig guys that can cook.
    lol

9. RRRRRRandy says:

Best part of this video is at 2:48 when he struggles to find his pockets.

10. BK2ATL says:

Kid seems well grounded. I’m rooting for him to continue to improve on 2011. Sounds like the 2nd half of 2011 struggles were related to tiring down from the inning increase. I’m thinking this kid will have a big year in pinstripes. CC will be a great mentor to him.

• aluis says:

CC: Hey Mike during the season I get a little tired and I like to eat bowls and bowls of Captain Crunch.

Mike: Oh Kaptin Krunch? Where can I get zum?

CC: Don’t worry kid they don’t call me CC for nothing. I’ll supply the Captain Crunch. You just worry about the bowls and spoons!

11. DM says:

Yuck. Catchers with back issues have trouble staying at that position (starting, I mean)

12. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Wait he went 9-10? I mean I understand the, “Wins are a team stat” argument but 9-10?

• AndrewYF says:

Yup, that’s just how awful Seattle was last year.

• BK2ATL says:

King Felix won the Cy Young with something like a 13-12 record. Can’t put those stats on the pitchers. Put it on Jack Z.

• Jesse says:

Not his fault really much at all. The Mariners offense was brutal…

.233 BA (Last)
      .292 OBP (Last)
      .348 SLG (Last)
      .284 wOBA (Last)
      79 wRC+ (Last)

And FYI, that’s among ALL Major League teams.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s not the first time good performance and W/L record haven’t resembled one another.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

Totally not his fault. He slipped a bit in the 2nd half but poor hitting and a mediocre bullpen will rob you of deserved wins.

Went and saw them against the Angels last year. Vargas pitched 8 or 9 innings of no run ball, but they lost in the tenth because they couldn’t score one run. Consider yourself lucky to be a fan of a team with a good offense.

13. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I like his vocal impressions of all the Yankee fans he’s talked to since the trade.

• Steve S. says:

I like how when the camera shifts to him “..in his native homeland of the Dominican Republic” the salsa music kicks in.

Because as everyone knows, salsa music is everywhere in the DR. It emanates from the palm trees, which have little tiny speakers in them that grow naturally.

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

He had me at “I like cooking.”

Performance will tell the tale, I guess, but I can see people falling head over heels with Pineda quickly.

15. GardnergoesYardner says:

Pineda seems like a great guy. I think the Yankees need to make sure doesn’t feel overwhelmed by New York. It doesn’t look like he will be, but a kid from the DR who has played in the Mariners organization for his whole career might feel a lot of pressure when he pitches poorly in his first outing against the Red Sox.

A-Rod’s gonna love this kid, he’ll get his typical ego boost when he hears how much Pineda loves playing with him.

16. pat says:

Hah, that’s my boy narrating that. Nice job.

17. vinny-b says:

this kid won’t make it. I’ve seen his girlfriend. She’s ugly. A 6 out of 10.

jus kidding. Checked Moneyball yesterday. A memorable line from an unmemorable movie.

_

18. Tom says:

Does anyone know where I can buy the hats that are turned slightly to the side? Whenever I go to the store they only sell the ones that go straight ahead

/Herc’d
    (semi-obscure The Wire reference)