Position players officially reported for duty today, so Spring Training is fully underway. Everyone showed up, in case you were wondering. No late reports this year other than Mariano Rivera. Here’s a recap of a slow day down in Tampa…
- No bullpen sessions today, just conditioning stuff for the big league pitchers. Graham Stoneburner and Cesar Cabral did throw live batting practice to Ray Kruml and Carmen Angelini. Yes, that Carmen Angelini. Only catchers hit today. [David Waldstein & Chad Jennings]
- Ivan Nova is scheduled to throw live BP tomorrow, as are Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, D.J. Mitchell, and Kevin Whelan. Nova will be the first big leaguer to face actual hitters. [Jennings]
- Joba Chamberlain threw one final half-mound session today and will get on a full mound on Tuesday, his first time doing so as part of his Tommy John surgery rehab. [George King]
- Austin Romine was held out of workouts today as a precaution for his ailing back. “He felt better today so that’s good,” said Joe Girardi. “If they think he needs another day, he takes another day.” [Jennings]
- Derek Jeter held a formal press conference, saying he plans to play as long as he’s having fun and feels he can compete at a high level. [Waldstein]
Here’s your open thread for the night. The entire NBA is off for the All-Star break, but all three hockey locals are in action. Talk about whatever you like here, enjoy.