Feb

Update: RAB Goes To Washington

(Photo via AndrewClem.com)

As part of the NL park portion of their interleague schedule, the Yankees are taking a swing through our nation’s capitol for a three game set against the Nationals from June 15th-17th. We’re planning to have an RAB-related weekend down in D.C.; going to the games, hanging out before and afterwards, etc. Ben put out some feelers regarding your interest last month, and it’s safe to say the place will be crawling with Yankees fans that weekend.

We’re still working out most of the specifics, but we do have some updates to pass along…

1. Nationals email list members can buy single-game tickets starting tomorrow. If you have access to them, buy tickets to the series that way. Don’t wait for us.
  2. Getting group tickets through the Nats for that series is a bit of a pain, so we’re going to look for group tickets on the secondary market. With any luck we’ll get a good deal through our partnership with TiqIQ. If you are interested in getting tickets through us this way, please be aware that you’re going to have to pay secondary market prices, which may be more than face value.
  3. As Ben mentioned last month, you’re responsible for transportation. If you have access to or find reasonably priced lodging, go for it. We may be able to get a room block somewhere but the price probably won’t be pretty.
  4. We’re planning to do meetups with readers before and after each game, but the locations are TBD. They’ll almost certainly be within walking distance of the ballpark, unless you happen to know of some awesome places further away.

Nationals Park is pretty nice, I was able to catch a game there last summer (here’s the box score … Sean Burroughs homer!). My advanced scouting report on the concessions is weak though, I didn’t do much exploring. The odds are in favor of us seeing a Stephen Strasburg start since it’s a three-game set, and with any luck Bryce Harper will be up by then as well. We can watch him launch some bombs and start counting down the days until he’s in pinstripes together.

If you have any questions or concerns about the trip, please let us know in the comments and we’ll try to answer them all either tonight or tomorrow morning. The trip will be a blast, and we hope to see many of you down in Washington.

1. whozat says:

The ribs at the Blue Smoke BBQ place are weaksauce. It’s a great park, though!

• Dara says:

I’ve never been to the BBQ stand because if I’m eating at Nats Park I’m typically either getting a hot dog or one of its half-smoke cousins at the Ben’s Chili Bowl stands. Out of towners: Ben’s Chili Bowl is the most legitimately DC thing in that entire ballpark, so should be your top concession priority. I also like the taco place next to Blue Smoke, but that’s just me (and I’m grading on a curve because the taqueria scene here is pretty weak).

2. Drew says:

So when we will know if we need to book a room or that we will be able to get a block through RAB?

3. ADam says:

No Real good places by the stadium, to go after the games. Before the games however there are is “the bullpen”(live music, games, and drinking) and the “beer garden”(Drinking) They are both located between the Metro Exit and stadium entrance.

After the games, the place to go is Probably Chinatown or Adams Morgan Lots of Bars and Late night food. Please let me know if I can be of any help planning a meet up

• Dara says:

Eastern Market/Barracks Row is also a bar/restaurant-heavy neighborhood–it won’t have as many options or be as popular as Chinatown and Adams Morgan, but it’s walkable from the ballpark.

4. James d. says:

Concessions are getting better each year, but they seem oddly like an afterthought for a newer stadium.
    I go to 5-10 games each year, sit all over the park. It’s really quite fun, and even when they play a bad game, it doesn’t feel depressing like Camden Yards.

5. Mike says:

Did anyone sign up for the Nats presale? I registered like two weeks ago…but never received an email with the presale code. Seeing as the presale is tommorrow, doesnt look like I’ll be getting an email. If someone could pass that code along to me, I’d much appreciate it.

6. 23553 says:

Concessions in the park are pretty good, but there are great half smokes and hot dogs right outside the stadium (across the street from the main gate) for less than half the price.

7. I’m sure someone has already suggested it, but The Sign of the Whale would be a good place to get together after the game(s). It’s a Yankees bar with one of those bench-along-the-wal-with-tables seating patterns that work well for accommodating a bigger group of people (assuming it isn’t crowded when you get there, of course).

8. Kentucky Bomber says:

I’m in the same boat re the presale…signed up for their alert and have received nothing. Anybody who can share the code would be appreciated.

9. Jim L. says:

You mentioned a stadium tour in the last post, is that still on the table?

10. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

“We can watch him launch some bombs and start counting down the days until he’s in pinstripes together.”

The Yankees are one of the few teams in sports where these comments are realistic. Being a Yankee fan is so awesome. Hooray for baseball!

11. Bryan says:

The password is insider. I plan on getting tickets on both Friday and SUnday. I have a wedding on Saturday and therefore must miss that one. If Strasburg pitches Saturday, I will be pissed.

12. Bryan says:

I would not recommend Sign of the Whale during a weekend. It is a total shit show. They typically have big HH specials on Friday that end around 9PM. While that sounds good, due to the low prices the place is completely flooded. You cannot hear yourself talk or move about freely. We should go somewhere like RFD in Chinatown. RFD has the largest beer bottle list in the city and tends to not get too over crowded. 10 is also early enough that we can go there and then go somewhere else afterwards.

• Eric says:

I’d second RFD. It’s a big place, fairly convenient to get to (near several metro lines), and has a great beer list. It can definitely get crowded, but I imagine we could get a reservation for a big group.

Sign of the Whale can definitely be a clusterfuck. A better place in the Dupont neighborhood would be the Big Hunt IMO.

13. I’ll be there. It’ll also be my birthday weekend, so you fuckers better buy me alcohol.

14. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I’m all over this.

15. Bryan says:

So I am confused. The Nats presale has two presale options.

1) All home games presale
    2) Yankees specific presale. Not sure if you cannot access both with the same password.

16. Jim L. says:

Garbage, got in for 4 tix then the web page kicked me out, now I can get back in. Looks like the secondary market it is…

17. Bryan says:

I got two tickets for the Friday game and two tix for the Sunday game. Was hoping for dugout seats for at least one but unfortunately they were gone in no time.

18. Kentucky Bomber says:

Got 3 tix for Friday nite, then forget it for the next 40 minutes of typing in nonsense words and being told there was too much volume for the server to handle, or the tix were gone. Off to StubHub.

19. Bednarz42 says:

I’ve got tickets for the 16th already, staying in Alexandria.

Anything in the works yet for Opening day?

20. Steve From Waltham says:

I was able to get 4 tickets each for the Friday and Saturday games. Booked my hotel rooms last Sept when the schedule came out. This is going to be a great trip.

21. Monterowasdinero says:

I’ll be there and look forward to meeting all the RAB “youngsters”.

22. JCruz says:

I signed up today and filled out a survey (surprised i missed the post).. is it too late?

23. Trent says:

Tickets are sold out, will need your package.
    Is there a way I can RSS feed on “Washington Trips” only to my email?

24. Damix says:

Does anyone have suggestions on where to sit? I’m looking to spend around 125 per ticket.

I’ve been to the stadium a few times but never have gotten something other then 10 dollar tickets (and I’ve never actually gone to my seat, just sit in red porch).

• Bryan says:

For 100 you could have gotten behind home plate for the Friday game. Sadly I think they are all sold out now. You can probably get the behind dugout seats on the secondary market for that much though. That would be my best guess.

25. Jeremy says:

A native western new Yorker I lived in dc for a whole before moving back to Rochester. Too bad they dont play wsh and bal back to back. Gonna visit a friend and go to some games. Would love to meet up.

26. Jeremy says:

RFD is legit. Huge beer selection, good food and a short metro ride from stadium.