Mar

Open Thread: 3/14 Camp Notes

(REUTERS/Steve Nesius)

The Yankees lost to the Blue Jays 7-5 this afternoon, and the biggest news of the day was Freddy Garcia‘s right hand contusion. Thankfully x-rays came back negative after he got hit by an Edwin Encarnacion line drive. Freddy allowed two runs in three innings, including an Encarnacion homer. Manny Banuelos got roughed up pretty bad, allowing four runs on three hits and two walks in one inning of work. One of those hits was an Encarnacion homer. That guy really did some damage today.

Yankees’ center fielders went a combined to go 4-for-5 today, with Curtis Granderson (pair of doubles) and Dewayne Wise picking up two knocks each. Mark Teixeira also singled to the opposite field off a right-handed pitcher, so hooray for that. Frankie Cervelli, Doug Bernier, and Cole Garner all doubled, accounting for all of the club’s extra-base hits. D.J. Mitchell hit two batters in three otherwise perfect innings, recording four outs with strike three and five others on the ground. Not bad. Here’s the box score and here’s the latest from Tampa.

• Michael Pineda has changed his between-start routine. He now throws his bullpen session two days before starts rather than three, which is what he did with the Mariners last year and is most comfortable with. Joba Chamberlain, Hiroki Kuroda, Rafael Soriano, Dellin Betances, and Matt Daley all threw their scheduled side sessions today. [Chad Jennings]
  • David Robertson jogged on a treadmill for 30 minutes today and didn’t feel any pain or soreness in his right foot. There’s a pretty good chance he’ll throw a bullpen session this weekend. [Jennings]
  • Nick Swisher left today’s game with minor tightness in his right groin. It doesn’t sound like a big deal though, just a precaution. I’ll worry if we don’t see him for a few days. [Mark Feinsand]
  • George Kontos was scheduled to appear in his first game of the spring this Friday, but he’ll instead throw another round of live batting practice tomorrow and probably get into a game at some point over the weekend. [Jennings]

Here is your open thread for the night. The Nets and Mike D’Antoni-less Knicks are both playing tonight, and MLB Network will be airing some games as well. Talk about whatever you like here, go nuts.

1. j says:

How. did DJ get 13 outs in 3 innings?

2. Rey22 says:

Last night I had the most vivid dream about the Yankees trading Granderson to the Marlins for Logan Morrison. It was weird, I was shocked and I checked mlbtraderumors and RAB and lohud and they all had the news and analysis of it. It was incredibly weird. Then I woke up pretty much panicking and went online to check what happened. Thankfully the top transaction in mlbtraderumors was “Astros Sign Landon Powell”. Phew.

• Rey22 says:

And in less dramatic fashion I also dreamed Brad Ziegler retired. Random stuff.

• Gonzo says:

A couple months ago I dreamt that the Yankees traded for Tim Lincecum and I had to pick him up at the airport.

The deal was about to fall through because of the players the Yankees sent over when I picked him up. Weird.

3. Chad Gaudin says:

Fantasy question:

In a 5×5 AL only keeper league, Delmon Young for Colby Rasmus…fair trade?

4. kenthadley says:

I think DJ has been under-rated throughout his entire minor league career. There is something to be said about a good sinkerball pitcher in a park like YSIII. He might provide some value before the year is out. His out-pitch isn’t as devastating as Wang’s, but he’s more of a strikeout pitcher and could be a decent back-end starter or Mendoza type.

5. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

Fantasy question:

In a 5×5 AL only keeper league, Delmon Young for Colby Rasmus…fair trade?

6. Tyrone Sharpton says:

Anyone hearing about this D Howard bullshit? Man im a nets fan but sux following ESPN and broussards stupid sources

7. Gonzo says:

Doing my first fantasy draft in 9 years. Where should I start for studying?

• MannyGeee says:

not sure if serious… but for real, go with what you know. Dont over- or under value players based on laundry (if Carl Crawford falls to you in a late round grab him… and dont reach for DRob or Nova… that kinda shit).

And dont get a name that you are enamoured with (Grady Sizemore), go for guys who get the job done (Tyler Clippard gets a shit ton of wins for a middle reliever). And dont burn too many calories in late rounds, you can make plenty of adjustments off the waiver wire.

That kinda stuff and you should be just fine.

• trust me im smart says:

dont be a homer

• Mike HC says:

Espn and Yahoo have good information.

rotoauthority.com is good too. Axisa writes for that site.

8. Havok9120 says:

Sooooooo……Are we seriously looking at the back end of the Red Sox rotation being Bard and Aceves? I don’t pay any attention to other teams in ST, and that floored me when I heard that their “internal options” would probably leave those two as the front runners for the rotation.

I mean….who’s in their ‘pen besides Melancon? The Experience, Gaudin, Marte, and Scott Proctor? Hyperbole I know but, as much as I think people are underselling the Sox after The Collapse, I’d be pretty concerned if I were a Sox fan and saw Ace and Bard make the rotation.

9. Guy says:

Question: I read George King’s article this morning about Freddy Garcia getting hit in the hand by a batted ball. Why is it that in every article he writes abouts the Yankees there is always a negative aspect and an underlying sense of glee when something bad happens as it relates to the team? The guy comes off as moron. He should be covering the Mets or something…

10. rca lcd tv says:

I think he should, he’s already starting to turn this team around. Do you think he’d deserve the coach of the year award if they get to the playoffs?