Apr

2012 RAB Staff Predictions

Back in the day when RAB was just the three of us — Ben, Joe, and myself — we never really bothered to make predictions. Joe and I might have done them on a podcast at some point, but never as a post on the site. We’ve added a few people to the staff over the last year or so, and I figured now was a good time to break out the prediction post.

Like the homers we are, seven of the eight of us picked the Yankees to win the World Series. O’Grady’s already been banned from the site, don’t worry. Apologies in advance for having to scroll, but the Google Doc is too big and I couldn’t find a way to fit it into the margins of the site and keep it reasonably readable as well. Feel free to leave your predictions in the comments, as well as tell us how stupid ours are.

Categories : Whimsy

1. MB says:

Joe picks A-Rod as the AL MVP? That’s a stretch.

2. MB says:

Also a little surprised on Strasburg as the NL Cy Young with Mike’s pick. Pretty sure the Nats are giving him about a 160 innings limit which is not a lot of innings for a SP. He’d be to be lights out (which he can be), but I’m not sure if I see Strasburg getting the Cy Young Award. Ben’s pick for Mo as AL Cy Young is a stretch too I’d say, but we shall see.

3. Jeremy T says:

Looks pretty reasonable in general, but I see you went out on a limb with a few of these. A-Rod MVP? Rivera Cy Young? Darvish Cy Young but somehow not ROY? I’m a little surprised at two picks for the Dodgers in the playoffs, too. I guess we’ll see :)

4. forensic says:

Mike, i know you tried other options, but the scrolling and arrows don’t seem to work on the iPad. Can we get some sort of other display? Maybe an enlargeable picture kind of thing or split it into two images with four of you in each (the first four writers are visible)?

If not, no biggie, just thought I’d check. Thanks!

5. lance bass says:

m. cabrera = melky cabrera?

6. jjyank says:

Cool post guys, thanks.

I love all the NL MVP love Upton and Votto got, since I have both of them on my fantasy team!

7. gc says:

Why would anyone trust Axisa’s picks? The guy clearly couldn’t even predict the Yankees opening day payroll and doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about. RAB can’t predict anything right. ;-)

8. the Other Steve S. says:

Bobby V. may not last out the season.

• jjyank says:

I can’t decide if I want that or not. I hate Bobby V, but he gives me a reason to hate the Red Sox more, which I like. On the other hand, I hate Bobby V so I want him to get fired.

Do I make sense?

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Unfortunately, yes. A lot of us probably feel the same way about him!

• Jesse says:

I’ll still hate the Red Sox like no other even if he gets fired. Honestly, him getting fired and going back to Japan would be the greatest thing ever.

9. forensic says:

Hopefully I’m not the only one who had to go to br.com to figure out who S. Marte is.

10. Peter R says:

Bobby V and manager of the year? Think I would die a little inside.

Also JR secretly a Texas fan? What up with that?

11. vin says:

I’d love to see Mo win the Cy Young. Sort of a lifetime achievement award… and then announce to the world that he just signed a new 3 year deal with the Yanks.

12. vin says:

“Like the homers we are, seven of the eight of us picked the Yankees to win the World Series. ”

It’s not like this is an Orioles blog. There’s no shame in picking the Yankees to go all the way.

• Brian in NH says:

For a second i was like “way to be homers guys” but then i thought about it, and yes, while they are all being kind like homers, but a lot of people in the media agree the yanks have a legitimate shot at the WS title again, so then…why the hell not?

• Justin Maxwell's Silver Hammer (formerly Rainbow Connection) says:

Kevin Millar picked the Sox to come in 3rd in AL East this year.

13. forensic says:

Hannah too cool to submit predictions? And what about ‘Technical Consultant Jay Gordon’? No predictions or intro post or anything???

Boo!!!

14. Smallz says:

I am stunned how Texas finishes better then Anaheim. I dont even see them in the wc picture if Boston is involved.

• Havok9120 says:

You must have a very high opinion of CJ Wilson and very low opinion of Darvish. I mean, this isn’t a markedly different team from the one that’s gone to the World Series the last two years.

• Cuso says:

True, but I feel kinda the same way Smallz does. I think Texas has skated by on luck pitching much the way Tampa Bay has skated by on luck hitting.

That’s not to say Darvish can’t be great and Feliz (in whatever role they put him in) won’t excel.

I just think that Cobly Lewis, Matt Harrison and Derek Holland aren’t as good as people make them out to be. It seems as if everything broke right for them over the last two years. Near the same exact thing with Tampa Bay and their offense.

Those trends don’t last 3 years.

15. forensic says:

How are the tigers going to win their division when they suck like this? Swinging at every Lester pitch, two DP’s in 2 innings, bums.

16. Tom Zig says:

JR is the only one to not pick the yankees to win it all. SHUNNED!

17. cmerc says:

well im glad these picks werent biased or anything…

• steve (different one) says:

Not for nothing, but all of the projection systems seem to think the Yankees are the best team in baseball.

I mean, of course there is some bias, I would bet on the “field” to win the WS over the Yankees easily. But as for taking an individual team? The Yankees are as strong a choice as any other team.

18. Kevin D. says:

Coal Hammels is the best pitcher ever.

19. Ethan says:

You guys should do an extended poll to see what us readers predict too!

• Justin Maxwell's Silver Hammer (formerly Rainbow Connection) says:

Why? So unpopular responses can be attacked like in the confidence poll?
      If one can’t deal with someone else’s opinion, don’t ask.

• Will says:

I think it’s pretty obvious that if they do that, Jesus Montero will be the unanimous pick for the AL MVP, ROY, and Cy Young awards.

20. MMMMyyKuroda says:

Joe’s prediction would be a dream season…Yankees avenge 2001 and A-Rod takes the MVP award… I hope he’s right!

21. Cuso says:

How could Pedro Alvarez be “comeback player of the year?”

What exactly is he “coming back” to? They’ve been waiting for him to “break out.” Not “come back.”

22. Rick says:

Love that Mike and Jay picked Melky Cabrera to win the MVP… SOOO Ballsy

23. boomer says:

dream scenario is mariano rivera gets his revenge against the dbacks and finishes off #28