Apr

Sunday Conversation with Mariano Rivera

Mariano Rivera recently sat down with Buster Olney’s for ESPN’s Sunday Conversation, a three-minute talk you can watch here. I’d embed the video, but they aren’t allowing it yet. Mo talked about a number of his teammates — both past and present — as well as his cutter, Enter Sandman, and his legacy. Check it out.

Categories : Asides

1. Cris Pengiucci says:

Such a classy guy. As we’ve all said before, they’ll never be another like him once he hangs them up, either on the field or off.

• jjyank says:

Indeed. When one of my favorite players retires, I try to comfort myself by saying that they’ll be a coach or manager someday, they’ll be back. Alas with Mo, when he retires, I’m fairly certain he’ll just want to be a family man.

As you said, there will never be a classier guy. His demeanor has been as steady as his on the field performance.

2. jjyank says:

Don’t retire Mo! Damn it, if Jamie Moyer can do it, so can you!

3. ajra21 says:

mo is mo. the interview was nothing special but once again it showed that mo doesn’t change.

4. mike says:

funny how he can mention God 200x in an interview and it doesnt even register or create a stir…..Tebow gets hammered even when he doesnt say anything :)

Imagine if Mo was crediting Allah instead of Jesus??? :)

• NYinTX says:

I think because people perceive that Tebow’s actions are contrived.

• Adam Parker says:

Does Mo bend a knee before every pitch? I can’t recall….

• OMG! Bagels! says:

Oh never saw that? How about him leading prayer service at Yankee Stadium on Good Friday or making political speeches about abortion? No? You mustn’t be paying attention.

Actually Mo doesn’t even make the sign of the cross like I see so many other less religious players do.

Private. Classy. Pinstriped.

• jjyank says:

I’m not a religious type (an Atheist actually), but I don’t care what other people believe. Tebow’s thing is annoying because he makes public displays of it and seems to discuss his faith more voluntarily. Mo pretty much keeps it to himself unless he is asked a question and he believes his faith is part of the answer. I have no problem with the latter.

And for the record, I think it’d be cool if Mo was a Muslim. I’ve met more “good people” who subscribe to Islam than Christianity. Besides, “Allah” just means God in Arabic, it’s really the same being.

5. Jerome S. says:

It seems like every closer out there today has to have a “thing”. Usually that thing is really annoying and distracting. Mo’s thing? Be quiet and finish the job. Oh yeah.

6. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Great watch. Mo never changes but every interview is awesome. And with all those saves, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a divine cutter that he throws. Also, off topic, but can anyone explain why Moose and Mo (mostly) do that thing where they bend over at the waist and then stand back up when pitching from the stretch?

• jjyank says:

I always thought it had something to do with it being a different way of checking a runner on base, but I could be completely wrong. Could also just be a weird timing thing, like a hitter with a bat waggle.

7. vin says:

Our closer is better than your… anything.

8. OMG! Bagels! says:

“No one taught me the cutter. God taught me the cutter.” In other words, He taught Himself.