Apr

Update: Swisher has low-grade hammy strain

4:43pm: Swisher has a low-grade hamstring strain and will miss “more than a few days” according to Joe Girardi. He might not need a DL stint, however. Three healthy outfielders with Eduardo Nunez as the backup won’t cut it, the Yankees are going to have to abandon the 13-man pitching staff at some point.

3:19pm: The team says it’s a tight left hamstring and Swisher will head for a precautionary MRI. Hopefully it’s not a strain or anything and he won’t miss more than a few days.

2:13pm: Nick Swisher was lifted from this afternoon’s game with an apparent left hamstring injury. Replays showed him flexing his leg and grabbing at it following a swing then again on first base after drawing a walk. Andruw Jones replaced Swisher off the bench. Hopefully it’s just a cramp. We’ll update this post with more as it comes in.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

2. G says:

Hellooooo Bobby Abreu.

• jjyank says:

Or Dewayne Wise.

• RetroRob says:

Be interesting to see if Wise ever makes it up to the team. He has no options left, which means to keep Wise once the regulars like Gardner and Swish get healthy, they’d have to pass through waivers again. If some team claims him he’s lost. Will the Yankees risk losing him for the sake of filling in for a five games? I don’t think they will.

His best chance to make the team would be a signigicant injury (month plus) to one of the OFers.

• I Live In My Mom's Basement says:

Why would they even have a Wise-type player if they were not willing to use him just to fill a five game gap? These AAAA players are a dime a dozen.

• G says:

I’d take Abreu at league minimum over Wise.

• G says:

Unless I misunderstand how release works, admittedly I’m iffy on it. I unserstand the Angels are on the hook for $9M – league minimum, so is that what whoever picks him up pays?

• RetroRob says:

Correct. The Angels now owe him the full $9M. A team that signs him will only pay him the pro-rated share of the league minimum. The Angels can subtract that amount (approximately $400K) from the $9M.

3. mike_h says:

hoping its just a day to day thing, Wise has been good in AAA

4. Preston says:

Ugh, I guess this means we’ll be seeing plenty more of Raul Ibanez in the OF. Brett and Nick need to hurry back.

5. Cy Pettitte says:

Dewayne Wise come on down?

6. Midland TX says:

Sounds like the plan is duct-tape-and-vise-grips until Gardner comes off the DL.

7. Tom says:

So are the Yankees going to roll with 3 OF’s so Girardi can keep an 8 man bullpen?

I assume when Gardner comes back (Thurs?)they cut down the staff (either DFA Garcia or send Mitchell down if Phelps starts); but are they going to go the next 3-4 days with Nunez as the primary backup for 5 position players and just 2 bench players?

It’s Stewart and either Nunez or Chavez (whoever is not DH’ing or playing in the field with the rotating DH) right now.

8. So our outfield for the next week, until Bret comes of the DL is LF Jones, CF Grandy, and RF Ibanez. Hooray…

9. Robinson Tilapia says:

Perhaps find some weakness in Garcia’s shoulder, DL him, and bring up an OF?

This all seems pretty temporary though. We can survive with the Defensive Outfield of Doom (TM) until Gardner is back by the end of the week.

10. Jonathan says:

Damn…somehow this always happens before they come to KC. I really don’t want to see that OF in the spacious OF of Kauffman Stadium. I get Phelps and Hughes and probably no Swisher/Gardner. I was really hoping to see CC/Kuroda/Pineda/Pettitte for the 4 games when I heard Pettitte had a chance to be back by the start of May.

By the way, what about Dickerson?

• jjyank says:

Dickerson isn’t on the 40 man anymore. I doubt they make a 40 man move if Swisher won’t require a DL stint. More likely they use what the have on the 40 man. Or sign Abreu. It was surprising that Dickerson passed throw waivers the first time, I don’t think they’ll add him to the 40 man just to try that again.

11. Karl Krawfid says:

Swish is always injured.

They never put him on the DL. He’ll come back in a few days then get taken out running out a ground ball. Just watch.

12. Cross777 says:

DL Swisher, release Freddie, forget Abreu and bring up someone with speed and a good glove. I’d rather see good D then another old man hitting, this team should be able to carry a weak hitting outfielder for a week or two. (I say should because right now A-roid and Tex $uck)

13. Ro says:

So, now what? They already called up Mitchell and they ain’t sending him back just yet, so? I can’t see how at this point, they don’t release Freddy tomorrow or Tuesday. Right? DL him maybe? The results sure as hell show something is wrong, so I don’t expect MLB to come barking about a 15 DL stop for Freddy.

This is an interesting move for the Yanks at this moment. Perhaps they are that confident that Gardner will be back this week? But still Ibanez and Jones for a few days is risky.

14. TurdFerguson10 says:

Hamstrings are fickle. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t end up on the DL eventually.

Meanwhile, Mo can play the outfield.