May

2012 Draft: Stryker Trahan

The 2012 amateur draft is less than two weeks away, so between now and then I’m going to highlight some prospects individually rather than lump them together into larger posts.

Stryker Trahan | C

Background
Named after a character in a Burt Reynolds movie, Trahan stars in both baseball and football for Acadiana High School in Lafayette, Louisiana. He is committed to Ole Miss.

Scouting Report
One of those “country strong” types at 6-foot-1 and 220 lbs., Trahan produces a ton of hard contact from the left side and the ball makes a different sound off his bat. He projects to hit for big power down the road but there is some concern about his propensity to swing and miss at the amateur level. His hands and arm work well behind the plate but he needs to work on his overall receiving and footwork. Trahan is athletic for his size and runs way better than the typical catcher, so he’ll be able to shift to right field if the catching thing doesn’t take. There is star potential behind the plate, however.

Miscellany
Trahan is a back-half of the first round talent and recent rankings by Keith Law (24th), Baseball America (27th), and MLB.com (28th) reflect that. They put him right in the mix for New York with their first round pick (#30 overall) and for what it’s worth, Baseball America had the Yankees selecting Trahan in their latest mock draft. The Yankees prioritize catching depth in the minors, specifically catchers who can hit, and Trahan is one of the two or three best offensive catchers this draft class has to offer.

Categories : Draft

1. Alex K. says:

He has a plus-plus name.

2. Reggie C. says:

Always interested in cultivating the next Wil Myers. Sounds like Trahan could be one of those types.

3. Gonzo says:

If he’d been named after Burt’s Stroker Ace, I’d be all for it.

4. JohnC says:

BA’s Jim Callis had the Yanks taking Trahan with their first pick in his last mock draft.

5. General consensus seems to think there is no way he remains at catcher at the next level. However, he will probably have more than enough bat for a corner OF spot.

6. LiterallyFigurative says:

He’s got the name,
    He’s got the frame,
    He might have the game.

7. jjyank says:

I’m all for the Yanks going after up-the-middle talent. As long as his bat projects in a corner OF spot if he can’t handle it behind the plate, there’s no harm in that. If he has the arm for RF, that’s still pretty valuable.

I can’t wait for the draft. I know absolutely nothing about these kids beyond what I read here, but it’s still exciting for all us DotF nerds.

8. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

Thought he might have been named after Sgt. Striker (John Wayne, Sands of Iwo Jima). I’m not sure if the Sgt. spelled his name with an i or a y.

9. Tom Zig says:

I enjoy these posts and I get excited on draft day to see if one of Mike’s posts gets picked. But then I get disappointed when the Yankees go and pick some rando (cough cough Cito Culver)

10. All Praise Be To Mo says:

That is an 80 name for sure.

11. Carl LaFong says:

So somebody, please tell me why he’d opt out of his commitment to ole’ Miss if the mlb cap for the Yankees on first round draft picks is only what — 1.5 Mil.? No way a first round talented high school kid locked up by a major college baseball program agrees to sign for less than a few Million & that’s not happening under these slotting rules. Sorry to say, but for the most part, this draft is about college kids w/very little leverage & finding a few gems amidst the dross. The new slotting rules so suck!

12. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

I think its Jeff Stryker’s kid. That makes me feel old.