May

Update: Eric Chavez leaves game with whiplash and possible concussion

9:11pm: Chavez left the game with whiplash and a possible concussion. He hurt himself while diving for a ball an inning prior to leaving the game. Chavez will undergo more tests, but I can’t see any way he’ll avoid the DL. It’s worth noting that MLB instituted the 7-day DL for concussions last season, just in case you forgot (I did).

8:31pm: Eric Chavez left tonight’s game for an unknown reason in the middle of his fifth inning at-bat. He appeared to get dizzy all of a sudden and had to be helped off the field. Very weird. Eduardo Nunez replaced him at third base, leaving the Yankees with just Chris Stewart on the bench. Update(s) to follow.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. vin says:

Can’t wait to hear that Chavez will only miss 6 or 7 games, and therefore won’t be put on the DL.

2. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Is anyone surprised?

3. Danny says:

Looks like he swallowed a dip, he’ll be fine ….

4. Tyrone Sharpton says:

knowing his history, hes prob out for the season with dizziness

5. Cuso says:

For reasons we can’t explain, he’s lost the will to live…..er…play.

6. DERP says:

whiplash and a possible concussion

7. CJ says:

Possible concussion= out for season=retirement (see Brian Roberts Jason bay Justin morneau) injury prone? Nah made it to may 2nd

8. Jonathan says:

Hooray! I’m glad the Yankees are coming into town on a high note and Swisher/Gardner/Pineda/Pettitte/Chavez won’t be there. More Nunez and Ibanez please. This is going to try and top 2009 when I saw Ransom/Pena/Nady/Melky/Molina in the lineup at the same time. No ARod/Jeter/Tex/Posada. That was brutal.

9. radnom says:

In follow up news, Yankees DL Chavez then call up LHP Juan Cedeno from AAA to be the third lefty out of the pen.

10. I'm sexy and I Cano it says:

Ha! Halliday gave up EIGHT runs. That makes me feel a little better.

11. aRX says:

They have to call up a position player now, right? Right??

• Slu says:

Where is Bill Hall when you need him? His versatility would come in handy right now.

• jsbrendog says:

i still can’t believe they didn’t take him over chavez. at least the guy PLAYS THE GODDAMN FIELD. anyone who didn’t see this chavez injury coming raise your hand

::crickets::

::Cashman raises hand::

face.palm.

12. Slu says:

Well, I knew he get injured and miss significant time, but I didn’t think it would happen like this. I mean that dive looked harmless on TV.

13. Robinson Tilapia says:

This is the absolute wrong day to smirk at this, but goddamn, that Eric Chavez is something else, ain’t he?

Speedy recovery, and I hope everything turns out OK for him.

Really, please, bring up some outfield help. Every 14th bullpen arm joke has been exhausted already. Shoutout to random for the Juan Cedeno joke.

14. Tom says:

7 day DL… come on Mike let’s not get too hasty, what if he can come back in 4-5 days?

I think the Yankees should wait a day or two and see how this plays out. Chris Stewart is on the bench and can back up every position.

• Alkaline says:

If he has a concussion, I think it’s mandatory for the 7day DL. You don’t mess with concussions or other head injuries, regardless if it seems like only a little bump. You never know what could have got knocked around up there.

If your post was in jest, then ignore my reply.

15. FIPster Doofus says:

Just make sure to call up another reliever, Cash.

16. Monterowasnotdinero says:

Moribund.

Good night.

17. MikedJones says:

Only chavez can get a concussion diving for a ball when he didn’t even hit his head.

18. Let The Good Times Roll says:

What a bunch of apathetic fucks. They’re just going through the motions now.

This team has no pizazz at all.

19. dc1874 says:

Sign Paul Oneil..he could stay in the booth till his at bat..then come on down when its his turn.

20. qwerty says:

Looks like Chavez has an underlying problem from something in his past. This guy is definitely damaged goods.

21. jsbrendog says:

good thing we signed and kept the guy who couldn’t play more than 50 games last year. he’s toast.

22. RuralBob says:

I think he got the whiplash when he snapped his head back after the bad strike call by the up. It was right after that when he got dizzy. Perhaps that exacerbated what happened on the play earlier but I don’t think so.

23. RuralBob says:

I meant “ump” not “up.” Ugh.

24. SRB says:

Well, just like about this time every year the Yanks seem to remake their bullpen, perhaps this year it’s their bench (including Jones and Ibanez)!

25. Michaels' Pineda says:

Ok, bring up both Laird and Wise; and cut “Sweaty” Freddy.