May

Injury might not have altered Mo’s plans

Remember earlier this spring, when Mariano Rivera said he knew what the future held, but wasn’t revealing it? Those sure sounded like the words of a man who planned to retire after the season. But according to Reggie Jackson, that might not have been the case. He told Bob Nightengale of USA Today that Mariano was actually planning to pitch in 2013, reserving his decision only so he could ensure he remained at the top of his game. That is, the greatest of all time might have a few more rounds left in him, injury or not. Obviously he has a few obstacles to clear first — “We have to face this first,” he said last night — but we could see Rivera take the mound in the ninth inning a few more times before he decides to hang ‘em up.

Categories : Asides

1. joek says:

Don’t tease me!!

2. Bonnie Parker says:

Let’s hope he comes back and has a chance to finish the 9th inning of the World Series. He deserves to go out like that and not with an injury. I’d say so far this year he was still at the top of his game.

3. jjyank says:

DO IT MO!! DOOOO ITTTT!

I’m sticking with my optimism theory.

Rivera misses 2012. Then procedes to pitch the best season of his career enroute to a world series championship in 2013.

I am in no way throwing in the towel for 2012, but wouldn’t this be the most epic ending to the Mariano legend? Misses most of 2012, people questioned a 42 year old’s ability to make a come back from that, and he proves the haters wrong, pitches out of his mind, then rides off into the sunset like he should.

4. Rey22 says:

Oh god, this is a ridiculous teaser. Don’t do this to me.

5. JohnC says:

If Jamie Moyer can come back from TJ surgery at age 50, Mo can come back form this, and he is in much better physical shape than Moyer

6. Erica says:

Okay! I’ll take it. I’m hoping for the best in this situation because we’ve come to expect only the best from Mo.

7. DM says:

Not surprising at all. He was hedging his bet like most great athletes do. Pettitte said he was through as well — but the itch brought him back. Only time will tell but I can’t imagine Rivera wanting his last moment to be stumbling to the ground on the warning track in KC. If he’s physically capable of taking the mound, I think he pitches again — even if he claims otherwise in the short term.

8. Monterowasnotdinero says:

One Mo time!

9. jsbrendog says:

there is a god!!!!

10. Ro says:

If that’s the case, I’m ok with a missed post season for 2012, that is, as long as we finish ahead of the Red Sox in the standings. I refuse to see the Yanks finish behind them this year considering that is a team who’s entire basis is on the foundation of consistently bad decision making by the front office. That team deserves to finish last and be despised by all in baseball, which they currently are. Ok. deep breath before I go off on a hate rant…

2013 with Mo back, Pineda healthy, and perhaps a slight chance of Banuelos breaking camp with the team is far more palatable than what we are seeing now. It’s ok. We don’t need to win every year and we still have a long way to go, but hearing from Mo in a few weeks that he will in fact come back for another season will make this year a lot more tolerable.

11. vinny-b says:

not suprised. What i expected actually.

don’t know why everyone (media included) automatically jumped to conclusion, he was retiring. He never said he was

12. Adam says:

The straw that stirs our collective hopes…

13. Gerald Williams says:

yes please. I feel so bad for him. He can’t go out like this.

14. Erica says:

RAB has been my savior today.

Thanks guys.

15. flamingo says:

IF ONLY.

16. Ron Burgandy says:

I’M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!

17. Monterowasnotdinero says:

We are coming to accept the situation and the team that we have is good enough if they can hit to their capabilities. I still think we can make the postseason but no further as currently constructed.

Is it the curse of AJ? Or the curse of Jesus?

This year’s team is taking a beating.

I lived as a fan through Munson’s death. Imagine Mo or Jeter died in a plane crash during the season. This.does.not.compare.

• jjyank says:

If you can make the postseason, you can win the world series. How many world series champions were far from the favorites at the beginning of October? They Yankees can make the postseason, and they are as capable as any to get hot at the right time.

18. gageagainstthemachine says:

I hold out hope this is the case. I just can’t see Mo going out like this: cheated out of doing it the way he wanted.
    Rest and rehab Mo. We want you back for a proper goodbye!!