May

Injury Update: Gardner & Pineda

Via Mark Feinsand, it’s unlikely Gardner will be able to come off the DL when eligible on Thursday. “We’re going to see where he’s at after today,” said Joe Girardi. “We’re starting to get to a point where Thursday might be a little doubtful just because he has to go play a (rehab) game or two.” Gardner was scheduled to take batting practice today for the first time since being put on the shelf. Meanwhile, the Yankees will continue to employ a 13-man pitching staff and a two-man bench.

In other news, Girardi told Marc Carig said that Michael Pineda‘s labrum surgery went well today. We’re at the point that it’s newsworthy only if the surgery doesn’t go well. Hope to see you next May, Mike.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Ton Lon ton says:

I am still availablee to pitch out of the pen tonite

2. Robinson Tilapia says:

The PA system is going to need extra circus music for balls hit into the outfield this week.

3. Joe says:

Earliest Swisher gets back is Tuesday said Girardi. Why are we not putting him on the DL? This is one of the dumbest things I have seen the Yankees do.

• Joe says:

I am a HUGE Yankees fan and would never want to see anyone get hurt, but I would love to see Girardi’s dumb face if he ran out of players.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I would rather it not come to that but, yes, just DL the guy. It’s the beginning of goddamn May.

• Joe says:

Thank you! We just saw Longoria go down 4-8 weeks with a torn hammy, let Swisher get right and not injure him self trying to get back early.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It just doesn’t make any sense to me to carry this small a bench. I get not wanting to send Mitchell back down without using him, not wanting to DFA Rapada, etc., but seriously, you need someone for whom the corner outfield spots isn’t an outright adventure on the actual roster.

• jjyank says:

My fantasy team would appreciate a Swisher DL stint. I have Swisher (not as my primary RF, I have Justin Upton for that, he’s one of my UTIL players). And I would very much like to be able to DL Swisher so I can grab a replacement off the waiver pool.

• ROBTEN says:

Seriously. I mean, you can get a pretty nice bench for, like, $100 at home depot. If the bench they have is too small, they should just use the change that must fall between the cracks of the current one to go pick up a new one.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You can use a wooden plank and two paint cans.

Apologies to Plank, of course.

• ROBTEN says:

Good idea.

What about that stand Hughes is using? Apparently it’s his last one, but I heard he won’t be using it much longer. They could modify that too.

• jjyank says:

I keep hearing that some guy named Bob has some pretty cheap furniture. Maybe the Yanks should look in to that.

• Steve (different one) says:

Is it Girardi’s decision to DL a player?

• A.D. says:

This is one of the dumbest things I have seen the Yankees do.

Yanks have definitely done this a few times where a player would need a half DL stint so they carried him

4. Clyde Barrow says:

This is suicide. Not only are you risking injury rushing these guys back, you’re also hurting the ballclub by playing lesser defenders in the outfield. CC and Kuroda just ate up a bunch of innings for us. We don’t need 9 guys sitting down there in that pen rotting away.

5. Fin says:

Off topic, but noteworthy…Longoria out 6-8 weeks with hammy tear.

6. vin says:

I’m anxiously awaiting Rapada’s career as an OFer.

7. A.D. says:

Michael Pineda‘s labrum surgery went well today.

I’ll take it over “They got in there and found out the damage was worse”

• mustang says:

THIS!!!!!!

+100

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“They’re going to perform a special anal MRI to really see what’s going on.”

• RetroRob says:

That’s true. There are cases where additional damage is found and it was worse than expected, so yeah, this is about as positive as it gets.

It’s good this happened at the start of the season. A number of pitchers have said that rehab is the key. The Yankees can monitor him closely throughout the summer.

8. Fernando says:

They should just DL Garcia already and bring up Mesa, Wise or Dickerson. I understand that they don’t want to risk losing Wise/Dickerson later on, so even a guy like Mesa that can play the OF would at least help in the later innings as a defensive replacement for Ibanez.

9. ND Mike says:

Add bluetooth to his shoulder, everything’s better with BT.