May

Thursday Night Open Thread

(Al Bello/Getty Images)

Scheduled days off never seem to come at the right time. When the Yankees couldn’t score a run to save their lives last week, they played. Everyday. Even when the rain threatened, they still played. No matter what, the baseball gods make sure they played so they could struggle. Now that they’ve won two in a row and things are starting to look up, they’re off. Off on Thursday and off to the West Coast for a nine-game road trip through Oakland, Anaheim, and Detroit. Funny how that works.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the evening. Weather permitting, the Mets are playing the Padres at home (Jeremy Hefner vs. Eric Stults, so yuck) and MLB Network will also air the Phillies and Cardinals (Blanton vs. Westbrook) a little later on. There’s also some NBA playoff action going on somewhere. Hooray for sports. Talk about those games or anything else here. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. In Mason We Trust says:

I’ve spent half the day today watching Yankee’s classic on the iTunes store. Seeing Game 4 of the 1998 Series brought back memories.

2. New Balance Cleats says:

Off day so, how’s everyones franchise in the show going?

3. Brian S. says:

I know there is a thread about this just behind this one but I have to say that I don’t like that Williams is already in KLaw’s top 25. What has Mason done to justify that ranking? A .334 wOBA isn’t anything special.

• Need Pitching says:

prospect ranking are generally based more on projection than actual performance

• Alkaline says:

“He’s not walking, but he’s also making a ton of contact, and he’s barely begun to fill out physically,” he wrote. “There’s a lot of projection involved in this ranking but he’s a favorite of many scouts (and of me) because of the substantial upside here.”

That’s why. I guess they couldn’t ignore the potential. It’s awesome to see that, yet scary at the same time. A lot of hype early can lead to a hard fall in the future. All you can do it say go get em kid and hope for the best.

• Ted Nelson says:

As a CF the offensive bar isn’t sky high. Also, the projection and small sample stuff.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

Mason’s also banged up right now and has been slumping hard since the second time he missed a few games, he probably isn’t fully healthy yet.

4. Brian S. says:

And the rain prevented us from sweeping the Red Sox back in April. I hate rain.

5. Pat D says:

Hakeem Nicks breaks his foot. The Rangers are on the brink. Perfect.

Time for a song.

Watch out now, take care
    Beware of falling swingers
    Dropping all around you
    The pain that often mingles
    In your fingertips
    Beware of darkness

6. dkidd says:

game of thrones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> national league baseball

• In Mason We Trust says:

I don’t know but I might be the only person that dislikes the show. The Walking Dead, however… awesome!

• Havok9120 says:

Stick with the books then. They’re waaaaay better than NL baseball.

• Cuso says:

This. I’m on dance with dragons for the 2nd time. Have no idea how he’s going to wrap this all up with just one more book.

Plus, that book might not even come out until 2018.

• jjyank says:

Anyone watch The League? It’s not a new show, but I’ve just recently gotten into it. Hilarious.

• New Balance Cleats says:

Dinklage and I share an alma mater so I love him by default haha

• Cuso says:

Only American-born in the whole series. That includes marginal parts. And yes, sadly I went through the entire IMDB list to verify this.

….what? I was bored one day.

7. Chip Off The Ol'Knoblauch says:

Interesting piece on Ivan Nova, if you haven’t seen it already.

8. jim p says:

Highly recommend Marty Appel’s “Pinstriped Empire” after reading the 1st hundred pages or so. I thought I was well-versed in baseball lore, but it’s hard to go 2 pages without finding something new.

For instance, everyone knows that the franchise for the first years was named the “New York Highlanders.” But Appel tells us that a reporter started calling them the “Yankees” right away, and, because “Yanks” takes up much less room than “Highlanders” in a headline, other reporters followed suit. So the average fan knew them as “Yankees” long before it became official.

That Jack Chesbro, he of the 41 win season record, is pronounced “Cheez-bro.”

That what savvy stat-watchers cared about before Ruth, (and actually even into the 1930s) was Runs Scored above all, and then, Stolen Bases.

Tons of stuff like that. And I’m only up to 1924.

• jjyank says:

Very cool, I’ll check that out. Though I did already know that first part about the Highlanders/Yankees.

9. Greg says:

So, Cleveland Indians. Thoughts?

• jjyank says:

For me, they’re a team I hate second only to the Red Sox. I have an uncle from Ohio who is a die-hard Indians fan, and he gives me such an immeasurable amount of shit every time I see him. And it’s gotten even worse after the 2007 ALDS with the midges. It’s my dad’s sister’s husband, so he’s not blood related and my dad (also a die-hard Yankee fan) and I just hate the Indians. So fuck them.

Those are my thoughts. Sorry for the rant haha. I really don’t know their roster well enough to make an informed judgement, but seriously, I hope they end up in dead last.

• Havok9120 says:

I’m afraid I don’t know enough about their roster to say if they’re a flash in the pan or the real deal.

I can say that the issues of the Tigers gives them an opening even if they aren’t quite this good.

• Jesse says:

I liked them as a dark-horse team before the season started, and a team that had an outside (and we’re talking OUTSIDE) shot of catching Detroit. They have some good offensive pieces (Santana, Hafner, Choo, Cabrera, etc), a very nice back-end of the bullpen (Pestano, Perez), and some decent arms in the rotation (Masterson, Lowe). I don’t know if it’ll hold up, though. They may need to trade for an arm at the deadline (if they’re still in contention), and they also have some injury questions with their offense. Unlike jjyank, I wouldn’t mind if they held on and won the AL Central, mostly because I don’t want to see that fat fuck in Detroit dance around like a fucking clown in the postseason anytime soon.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Johnny Damon: .156/.260/.203/.463 and -0.5 WAR in 73 PAs over 18 games. Ouch

10. DM says:

Wow. The Melk Man keeps delivering for SF.