First, some notes…
- OF Mason Williams placed seventh on this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet after his little homer binge. “In all likelihood it’s not a random spike, but rather the power of which scouts foretold even when Williams was a 6-foot, 150-pound amateur,” they wrote.
- 2B Angelo Gumbs and RHP Wilton Rodriguez were both placed on the DL. Gumbs apparently hurt his elbow on a swing. [Josh Norris]
- OF Abe Almonte was placed on the DL with a hamstring issue. [Mike Ashmore]
Second, bullet point recaps because I’m short on time…
- Triple-A Empire State (win): Everyone in the starting lineup had a hit except for SS Ramiro Pena. LF Ronnie Mustelier tripled while DH Jack Cust and 1B Russell Branyan each homered. Branyan left the game for an unknown reason in the eighth. RHP Nelson Figueroa allowed two runs in five innings during his return to the rotation, though LHP Justin Thomas left the game after getting hit with a broken bat.
- Double-A Trenton (loss): DH David Adams and 3B Addison Maruszak each had two hits including a homer. 2B Jose Pirela doubled for their only other hit of the night. RHP Mikey O’Brien got knocked around for eleven hits and eight runs in just four innings of work, but the bullpen picked him up with four scoreless.
- High-A Tampa (win): DH Slade Heathcott homered for the second straight day and chipped in a double as well. RF Rob Segedin also doubled while LF Neil Medchill (two), SS Jose Mojica (two), and 2B Jose Toussen (three) all had multiple hits. LHP Matt Tracy had his first real bad outing of the season, surrendering seven runs (six earned) on six hits and four walks in 4.2 innings.
- Low-A Charleston (loss): DH Dante Bichette Jr. and 3B Casey Stevenson each doubled on a slow offensive night. RHP Bryan Mitchell got rocked a bit, allowing four runs in as many innings. That’s pretty much it in an otherwise boring game.
- Short Season Staten Island (loss): LF Taylor Dugas singled and drew three walks to raise his season OBP to .545. 2B Fu-Lin Kuo doubled twice (yawn) while CF Ravel Santana struck out three times in four at-bats. RHP Gabe Encinas allowed five runs (four earned) in three innings. LHP Eric Erickson made his pro debut with an inning of scoreless relief.
- Rookie GCL Yankees (win): 3B Miguel Andujar singled, 1B Bubba Jones singled and doubled, and DH Ericson Leonora doubled and homered. LF Nathan Mikolas struck out his two at-bats. LHP Jeremy Bleich threw two scoreless innings in his latest rehab appearance, then RHP Jordan Cote came out of the bullpen to allow two runs in five innings, striking out two and walking none. He’s up 13 strikeouts and two walks in 14 innings.