Jun

Wednesday Night Open Thread

I’m not sure if I’ve ever mentioned this before, but Bill Murray is the co-owner of the Charleston River Dogs, the Yankees’ Low Class-A affiliate. He was inducted into the South Atlantic League Hall of Fame earlier this week and SB Nation was there to document the event. Mason Williams, Tyler Austin, and Bryan Mitchell each make a guest appearance in the video, which you should watch because Bill Murray is the man. Still kinda hard to believe he’s already 61.

Once you’re done watching that, use this as your open thread for the night. The Mets are playing the Orioles (Gee vs. Matusz) and the Cardinals and Tigers will be on ESPN (Westbrook vs. Porcello). Talk about those games or anything else you like here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Cuso says:

Did I see this correct?

Bernie Williams managing one of the Futures teams (George Brett on the other side)?

2. Leg-End says:

Goddamn it, Bill f***ing Murray!

Hero.

3. jjyank says:

That video was awesome.

That is all.

4. Drew says:

Bill Murray should stop making Youtube videos and start making Ghostbusters 3

5. yooboo says:

yo Mike Axisa, Is there any way I can watch the Home Run Derby on the carrier?

6. Chris G. says:

Someone needs to buy Austin some new Bill Murray movies. He just made me feel old.

7. Erica says:

If it’s possible, I love Bill Murray more than ever.

Sidenote: I went to today’s game. And then I read the game thread when I got back and I have to say, some of these people that post here are goddamn OUT of their minds. The loss sucked, of course (as any loss does), but there are so many shipjumpers. It’s unbelievable. It’s ONE game – out of HOW many? I swear, I want to shake some of these people here by their shoulders and say, “WAKE UP! YOU’RE NOT A METS FAN! IT’S OKAY!”

In other news, home runs are cool – grounding into double plays are not. Such as life. Let’s root for the Mets tonight so that Greg will be happy the Yankees have a bigger lead in the division. And he won’t be so sad.

*eyeroll*

• jjyank says:

I wasn’t a participant in the game thread today (damn weekday day games), but there are always ledge-jumpers in losses. I don’t agree with it either, especially on the heels of the awesome winning streak, but such is life. I’m just glad RAB has enough positivity in the comments to balance it out.

DISCLAIMER: I did not read through the game thread afterwards. I’m just speaking generally.

• Erica says:

The ledge seemed to be a little higher up today for some of the posters here. Clowns.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

“Your 2012 Yankees. The team that will be 0-3 in the ALDS.”

Hey, they’re gonna make the playoffs now. Better than 82-80 and 15 games behind the Orioles.

• Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

Baseball is such a long season that many things happen. It always amazes me when people lose sight of that over such a short period of time.

Some people just can’t see the forest from the pine needles in front of them.

• Erica says:

Seriously. These people act as though problems that plague a team are just going to stay the way they are through the season. And if they lose 2 games after a 10 game winning streak, well… screw it. They’re going to lose ALL of the games.

• jjyank says:

Agree with all of this, and all the comments above.

I have the utmost confidence in my Yankees. I couldn’t watch the games if I didn’t.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I just read through the game thread, since this was the wrong day for me and an afternoon game.

Can we say EPIC? I mean, there were MULTIPLE Teddy appearances.

It was way too hot today for me to give a fuck whether they won or lost. They should just really just toss this one from the standings. Really, who’d notice? Just toss it.

You are a trooper, Erica. I could barely manage a three-block walk from the 6 train to an eye exam this afternoon.

• Erica says:

It was SCORCHING. The uncovered seats in Section 312 weren’t really helping the cause; however, they let anyone and everyone into the Jim Beam bar to cool off and I grabbed some ice water for my dad and my boyfriend, as they were both melting. It was rough.

It was totally hot enough to make your eyeballs fall out! Which means if that had happened on your 3-block walk, no eye doc for you! (I don’t know. We all have fried brains today.)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

My eyeballs sometimes feel like they’re going to fall out in this weather for sure, Raiders of the Lost Ark style.

Was it Old Timers Day one year where it was scorching and THEN the game went into extras, only to get blown by Jeff “I got yer bandbox right here” Karstens? I believe I was in the 400 section for that entire game. Still may have a farmer’s tan from that.

• Erica says:

HAHAHA, please link to Baseball Reference for that game. I’m curious. Farmer’s tans are so underrated.

8. Sean says:

I feel old because not one of those kids said ghostbusters.

9. Brian S. says:

So when so we consider Jose Pirela legit?

• Tom says:

when his ERA returns to the level it was prior to him starting to cheat (pre-2010)

Notice the drop in his ERA when he joined the Natinals and how it stayed there with the Rays. That’s not quite the normal career arc for a 34-36 year old journeyman reliever.

Maddon’s comments after the game as well as Peralta’s tip of the cap to the Nationals on his way off the field, all but confirms the guy’s been cheating for the last 3 years.

10. RetroRob says:

Lost in Translation.

11. Pat D says:

Groundhog Day is my go-to Bill Murray movie.

I need to rewatch both Ghostbusters movies, it’s been forever since I’ve seen them. The original one is one of those movies that always freaked me out as a little kid which is why I don’t rewatch it much.

12. Countryclub says:

Murray picked up Cashman at the airport the other day. Cash was down there for the all star game and when he got off the plane murray was there. Pretty funny. All this per Buster, btw.

13. Erica says:

Does anyone have suggestions for excellent websites to search for jobs besides Indeed.com?

Monster/CareerBuilder are both very intimidating, however.

• jjyank says:

Linkedin isn’t bad. I guess I don’t have many, I use usajobs.gov for everything, because I will work for The Man someday soon.

• Erica says:

Damn the Man, save the Empire!

Linkedin… yeah, I probably should. I don’t like that website. It’s like Facebook for… people with fancy jobs.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I went through the trouble of a linkedin page. It just seems useless to me. I know some industries use it, and I have friends that want recommendations and all that, but it’s never done a thing for me.

• jjyank says:

Unfortunately, The Man will pay me a LOT of money for what I want to do. And private corporations (GK Sierra, Eurasia Group, BAE Systems, etc.) won’t hire you without experience. So yeah.

Linkedin isn’t so bad, I applied for a few jobs on there. But it is a lot like facebook for jobs.

• Erica says:

Hey, good for you though! I’m sure you’re excited to start raking in the dough!

• jjyank says:

If I get the job I am in the application process for, I will make $20,000 a year more than I make with my dumb bank job. And if I hit the apex of that career arc, I’ll make in the neighborhood of $200,000 a year. The Man ain’t so bad :P

• Erica says:

OH HEY WHAT’S UP.

Working for the man sounds like a GREAT idea…hmmm.

• jjyank says:

Well you have to speak a little of either Arabic, Farsi, or Chinese, get a graduate degree in a foreign policy field, and have extensive experience in a foreign country of interest. Not trying to too my own horn there, but the government pays damn well if you go about it the right way.

• Erica says:

Oh man, so if you’re fluent in the language of Sarcasm, they may not accept you. Damnit.

(Can you speak all three or any of those three languages?!)

• jjyank says:

Haha all three would be insane, and I would have no friends. I do speak enough Arabic to get by in a native speaking country, though.

??????? ???????

That means “The Yankees are the greatest” in Arabic.

• jjyank says:

Oops… apparently RAB commenting replaces foreign text with question marks. Never mind then.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Then how come I can always read everything Athenian says perfectly?

• Erica says:

Darn! That’s SO cool that you have knowledge of that language – especially one that isn’t a Romance language.

• jjyank says:

Romance languages are overrated. Since I can’t type it, here is the tranliteration:

Alyankeez alakbar. (The Yankees are the greatest)

Yes that “Akbar” The good Admiral’s name translates into “A Great admiral” in Arabic.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It happens, dude. I’m about a week away from taking another step towards inevitably becoming a complete bureaucrat.

Red tape FTW!

I know you’re in social services, what do you mean by becoming a bureaucrat?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There’s two tracks you take when you do social work. You either wind up going into private practice and probably pricing out the people you wanted to work with when you got out of school, or you wind up moving from a practitioner to an administrator. I’ve done the latter, and I’m now starting to get to the point where I’m actually going to be given actual programs to run. Of course, some of things I’ll be running run completely contradictory to other things I’ll be running, and some are things I never dreamed I’d be running. So, yup, bureaucrat. I don’t mind. It’s what I wanted and I’ll continue to learn a ton from it.

• jjyank says:

Well congrats man, that sounds like an exciting opportunity for you! Promotions and opportunities always come with a “con” side, but as long as the “pros” outweigh it, it’s all good. Hope you enjoy it!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What kind of job?

If it was something social service related, I’d say Idealist.org.

• jjyank says:

No idea on your career goals, but this one also works for me. I realize this is a niche site, but if whatever you do is at all foreign policy related:

• Erica says:

I’ll try almost anything. The job I’m at now is in an industry I took a shot at working in; while the industry itself is broad and really interesting, I need to make a few changes.

So basically – media. I just need something in an office, or doing something a little more creative than just mindlessly staring at a screen. It’s a broad field, which makes searching a bit more tricky.

I’ll check out idealist anyway!

• jjyank says:

Yeah that’s tough. Media could literally be any industry. For example, a good friend of mine is in that field. He got a job at a dentist’s office of all places, and loves it. He designs commercials and print advertisements. You really could do anything with that, but yeah, it’s gotta be hard to find a site that encompasses the whole field.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Honestly, you never know.

I can tell you that the agency I work for has worked extremely hard to become social media savvy in recent years, and grant-giving organizations actually care about stuff like how many “likes” can your program get on Facebook. Working in development for a nonprofit could be a fit.

• Pat D says:

I’ve been getting outplacement “counseling” as part of my layoff. The people that came in told us that sites like Monster and CareerBuilder aren’t likely to lead to a great deal of potential.

14. Brian S. says:

Good to see the Marlins still can’t beat anyone in our division.