Jul

Martin & Granderson slam Red Sox in opener

Source: FanGraphs

Two hours and 41 minutes for a Yankees-Red Sox game? What kind of madness is this?! Hey, I’m not complaining though. That was a crisp and thorough win by New York, their sixth in seven games against Boston this season. Let’s recap…

• No GIDP: The Yankees have scored 17 first inning runs in their last five games against the Red Sox, and all three first inning runs in this game came after Dustin Pedroia and Mike Aviles botched a would-be double play grounder from Mark Teixeira. They simply took their time and Tex beat it out. Curtis Granderson scored on the play and Raul Ibanez hit a two-run homer as the next batter. That’s the difference between a first place team and last place team right there, the last place team botched the routine-ish play and the first place team took advantage.
  • Philty Phil: Three runs in seven innings is so much better than three runs in five innings. I was clamoring for Joe Girardi to lift Phil Hughes after allowing three solo homers in the first five innings — he’s now allowed a league-worst 25 dingers — but the skipper stuck with his young right-hander and was rewarded with two more perfect innings. The solo homers stink, but that’s nothing new for Phil. He allowed just three other baserunners — a walk, a ground ball single, and a ground-rule double — and struck out five.
  • Tack-On: The Red Sox stayed in the game thanks to all those solo homers early, but the Yankees began to pull away with Russell Martin‘s two-run homer in the fourth. That one had a good sound, Russ hasn’t hit a ball that hard in weeks. The score remained 6-3 from the fourth through the eighth, when Granderson blew things open with a grand slam off Embedded Yankee Mark Melancon. They didn’t even switch to the high camera to follow the flight of the ball on YES, the center field camera just stayed on Melancon and showed his reaction. Pretty funny.
  • Leftovers: Ichiro Suzuki only had one hit in his Yankee Stadium debut, but he hit two other balls right on screws for outs … Derek Jeter (single and walk), Granderson (triple shy of the cycle), and Robinson Cano (two singles) all had multiple hits while Teixeira and Eric Chavez were the only starters without knocks … David Robertson (one single) and Cody Eppley (two singles) threw scoreless frames following Hughes … this was only the fifth time this year the Yankees scored 10+ runs, and three of the five have come against Boston.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the advanced stats, and ESPN the updated standings. The Orioles are getting got wrecked by those powerhouse Athletics, so the lead in the division will be is back up to nine games soon enough. Lefties CC Sabathia and Jon Lester square off in game two of the series on Saturday afternoon.

Categories : Game Stories

1. DERP says:

While on the topic of former Yankee relievers, Luis Ayala allowed the two runners he inherited to score. Good thing he never did that for us!

2. Bahaha, the win expectancy was at 100% after WMB single in the 9th. That’s probably a system malfunction, but at the same time is really funny.

3. jjyank says:

Bummer I couldn’t watch tonight. Parents are visiting for the weekend, you know. Glad to see the Yanks win again against my most hated team.

4. your mom says:

So do lefties CC Sabathia and Jon Lester face each other in game two of the series on Saturday afternoon?

5. DERP says:

Josh Reddick just went down hard.

6. RI$P FTW says:

What a fast game.

• Bartolo's Colon says:

yea, i was home by 10:20, that just never happens, especially against the red sox, i thought i wouldn’t get home until at least 11:30. I’m sure we will pay for, probably a five hour 14 inning affair on the late sunday night game. i won’t complain too much as long as they win

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You apparently live within walking distance, then.

• Bartolo's Colon says:

it was actually about 10:30, i only live about a few subway stops away, and no waiting at all for the subway, couldn’t have worked out better for me today. and i usually watch the game for the last few innings from the area in centerfield right above the mohegan sun bar so that i can get out of the stadium very quickly

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I love high-tailing it for the D train and beating the crowds. Games where I get lucky, get on the D, it goes EXPRESS AND don’t suddenly terminate at 34th St. are lucky game indeed.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

The new Stadium is much easier to get out than the old one. The old one was claustrophobia causing trying to get out.

7. Jonathan says:

The HR to left Martin hit in Oakland was hit really hard.

8. Bartolo's Colon says:

that was the fifth yankees/red sox game that I went to and the first that they won. very good win, but hughes had me very worried at firts, i guess it just took him a while to get himself straight, but jesus, he gives up a lot of dingers, thankfully no one was on base.

decent amount of red sox fans, but it seemed like much less than last year or 2010

9. Rich in NJ says:

I’m not sure what Ichiro has left, but he is fun to watch.

• your mom says:

He’s an enigma.

• Rich in NJ says:

This is why I have always liked the guy:

He [Ortiz] pointed to Ichiro Suzuki, the Seattle Mariners’ wisp of an outfielder, a man who still uses a translator to do interviews with English-speaking reporters – and happens to be baseball’s amalgam of Anthony Robbins and George Carlin. Every year, after the AL manager addresses his team, Ichiro bursts from his locker, a bundle of kinetic energy, and proceeds, in English, to disparage the National League with an H-bomb of F-bombs, stunning first-timers who had no idea Ichiro speaks the queen’s language fluently and making returnees happy that they had played well enough to see the pep talk again.

The tradition began in 2001, Ichiro’s first All-Star appearance, and the AL hasn’t lost a game since. Coincidence?

Um. No.

“I know how important it is to the game,” Ichiro said. “I’m more concentrated at that moment than I am in the game.”

A wide grin spread across his face. Ichiro’s secret had been exposed, so, hey, why not have fun with it?

He crafts his public portrayal similar to the image he projects on the field: a technician, a warrior, a Ph.D. in stoicism. In reality, Ichiro’s All-Star teammates love him for his wicked sense of humor and sly deceit, shown with a vocabulary far more expansive than he leads on.

All the first baseman around the AL know Ichiro speaks English, singles accounting for 1,393 of his 1,711 hits since joining Seattle in 2001. Generally, the conversation doesn’t move much past pleasantries, which makes the speech all the more shocking.

“That’s kind of what gets you, too,” Minnesota first baseman Justin Morneau said. “Hearing him say what he says. At first, I talked to him a little bit. But I didn’t know he knew some of the words he knows.”

The exact words are not available. Players are too busy laughing to remember them. Ichiro wouldn’t dare repeat them in public. So here’s the best facsimile possible.

“Bleep … bleep bleep bleep … National League … bleep … bleep … bleeeeeeeeep … National – bleep bleep bleepbleepbleep!”

• Havok9120 says:

We win the trade just because he does this kind of thing.

This is awesome.

• Deep Thoughts says:

That is hilarious, and drove me to find this blog post by Jason Bay on getting dissed by Ichiro in 2009:

“Workout day. I run back in from the field to get sunglasses. Locker room completely empty except Ichiro stretching on the floor and his translator sitting on the chair beside him. Sow we make small talk, and I ask him where he lives in Seattle because I lived in the suburbs.

Well, I had barely got the last word out when Ichiro says something in Japanse. Then his translator turns to me, deadpanned and straight-faced and says, “I’m going to mess with your house.” The way he said it was malicious, and Ichiro is on the floor dying laughing like it was the funniest thing ever. I was just like, “OK, I’ll see you guys out there.” I didn’t know what to say. It was weird.”

• Deep Thoughts says:

And a great diss on Cleveland in 2007:

“To tell the truth, I’m not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to,” Ichiro said through an interpreter. “If I ever saw myself saying I’m excited going to Cleveland, I’d punch myself in the face, because I’m lying.”

10. Bartolo's Colon says:

how about they are already selling gray ichiro shirseys at the stadium. they usually only have the gray ones for a very select few yankees. a lot of people already had ichiro shirts on

• It's a Long Way to the Bronx (If You Wanna Hirok 'N' Roll) says:

That’s why it was a good move to get Ichiro. They haven’t had a player where they could make lots of new merchandise for since Granderson because many of the players these past few years have just been one year stopgaps. Ichiro is only for a half year, but he arguably is the biggest name to come to the Bronx since Grandy in terms of star power.

11. forensic says:

If anyone was curious about Mike’s question leading off the game thread:

According to my research the last time the Yankees and Red Sox played each other after game 100 with the Yankees in first place and the Red Sox in last place was the final day of the 1932 season. That’s actually also the last time they were even in those positions without playing against each other after game 100. That is certainly a long time ago.

I didn’t bother to do the research the other way around to find the Sox in first and Yankees in last. I’d rather not think about that situation.

12. CUYanks says:

I’m not sure if anyone addressed this, but what are peoples’ reactions to the Angels acquiring Greinke?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I look forward to us beating him…..again.

• It's a Long Way to the Bronx (If You Wanna Hirok 'N' Roll) says:

Solid haul for the Brewers, and it does make the Angels more dangerous in the rotation, which is a real issue for us because we could very well see them in the first round. I’m not really that scared of them, but they are the Angels, so shit happens, especially in that park.

• Betty Lizard says:

Ever the contrarian, I think Greinke will pitch really well for the Angels.

• RI$P FTW says:

“shit”

• Bartolo's Colon says:

i guess it sucks for everyone else, but doesn’t haren still blow, so at least he’s not lights out as well. you also have to remember he can’t handle yankee stadium, which actually turned out to be true last time he pitched there, right?

• your mom says:

Greinke owns the AL West, look at his career numbers vs the A’s, Rangers and Mariners. It’ll be an interesting race.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Not happy about it, but what can ya do.

13. Anthony says:

Offense came out strong tonight, and once again we see that as long as Hughes only gives up solo HRs, the Yanks’ll be alright.

14. Dela G says:

I hope we pound Lester

15. Get Phelps Up says:

I just spent a good 15 minutes reading through OTM’s game thread.

Fun, fun, fun.

• Havok9120 says:

Its always amusing. Their posters are a lot of fun.

If you ever get bored, their Game 162 Thread from last season is pretty priceless.

“What’s a George Krontos, and why is it on the mound in Tampa?”

“I believe its some sort of Greek pastry.”

• OMG! Bagels! says:

They are funny. I always read them no matter who they play. I don’t post as I don’t believe in trolling but once, without identifying myself as a Yankee fan, I posted that one of the comments was one of the funniest things I ever read. It was priceless and I couldn’t resist. And even with their awful season or in previous seasons when they’ve had an awful game they don’t seem to have as many ledge jumpers as we do in the first few innings.

16. The Real Greg says:

Giants have picked up Marco Scutaro from the Rockies, so you can forget him.

17. Hey Now says:

Even Pythagorean W-L is ready to give up on the 2012 Red Sox.

18. Dino Velvet says:

The victory doesn’t count when the Yanks hit so many home runs.

19. Jacob says:

Oh Cashman whatever will you do now that we have no 3B options?

• Brian S. says:

Start Nix the next two days against the lefties. Chavez will be good to go after that.

• The Real Greg says:

You just have to wonder if Chavez can hold up. And he has been in a bit of a slump lately.

• Fin says:

I dont think you really have to wonder if Chavez will hold up. I think its a pretty safe bet to say he wont. I think the more he plays the more he slumps as well, his body just isnt up for the job. THe more rest and less time he plays, the more productive he is likely to be.

• Mattchu12 says:

I hope we get a big enough lead to see Girardi play Jones and/or Ibanez there. Just for the laughs at Ibanez or that smirk from Jones if he actually makes a play.

Love this season.

20. Kramerica Industries says:

+9.5 on TB

+11.5 on Boston

Never would’ve expected that.

• Mattchu12 says:

I came into this season still expecting to make the playoffs, but probably had the lowest expectations I can ever remember having. I thought we had a good team, but I didn’t think we’d go all the way. It is night and day difference now.

I don’t see how anybody has a better shot than us. Feels like it’s gonna be special.

21. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Guys, this victory doesn’t count. It was against a team in last place. That means everything the players did didn’t matter unless it was bad (and then it mattered twice as much).

Phil Hughes did awful because he allowed RUNS to a last place team and didn’t last ten innings, and the defense did bad because balls were allowed to fall into play.

When you play against a team in LAST PLACE you have no excuses not to pitch a perfect game and score a minimum of twenty runs every time. They should be ashamed.

• Havok9120 says:

Tonight’s thread never got that bad, but this is a pretty good parody of some other threads we’ve had this season.

• Fin says:

It got pretty bad in regards to Hughes pitching. Even at the time it wasnt warranted. SOme solo Hrs is no reason to go as nuts as what was going on.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

I read the game thread before I put the game on and expected we were losing 112-0 in the second inning.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Twenty? Hopefully that’s just the first inning.

22. Pat D says:

There is something exhilirating yet sad about watching a 70-year old Paul McCartney performing “Hey Jude” to conclude the Olympic opening ceremonies.

I always wonder what John would think at times like this.

• Len S. says:

At 70 he might have been up there too. He was starting to mellow a bit in 1980.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

McCartney II, which is a pretty bizarre album, was recorded around 1980.

If you really want to be amazed from him, listen to the albums he recorded as “The Fireman.” First two are straight up ambient house…..from Paul McCartney. Good stuff.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

It was written for Julian Lennon so who knows? The Who were pretty bad at the Superbowl a few years ago but they’re still The Who and the Rolling Stones (Jagger/Richards/Wood) will apparently never die. They’ve been together about 50 years now. There’s something to be said for that kind of longevity especially after ingesting that amount of drugs in the 60s.

• JohnnyC says:

Well, two of John’s best friends and musical colleagues were Elton John and Nilsson…so whatevs, LOL.

23. Ted Nelson says:

I love how the narrative has Ibanez as the hero of the season and Martin as the worst player ever, yet Ibanez isn’t even hitting THAT much better than Martin… Despite being an awful corner OF.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

?
      Who’s calling Ibanez the hero of the season?
      Seems like most here would like him replaced.

• Fin says:

The expectations for Martin and Ibanez were not in the same realm. The fact that you are using Ibanez to further your point on Martin isnt good. The Yankees have gotten much more out of Ibanez than most of us expected and much less out of Martin. It hasnt been just hitting with Martin either, he hasnt passed the eye test for much of the season behind the plate.

24. uyf1950 says:

About the “Philty Phil” comment. Actually it was 3 solo HR’s in 4 innings. Aside from a walk to the 2nd batter in the 5th inning Hughes retired 9 of the last 10 batters he faced or 8 in a row. BTW, that 1 walk in the top of the 5th was the only walk Hughes allowed in the 7 innings he worked. Another good outing by Hughes the 8 quality start in his last 10 outings. Just trying to be accurate.

25. Bavarian Yankee says:

good win. The homers against Hughes are very annoying but I guess that’s what’s going to happen when you have an extreme FB-pitcher in Yankee Stadium. But I take 3 ER in 7 innings pretty much any day of the week.

btw: just looked at the standings and was shocked: the Athletics are only 4.5 GB the Rangers and 0.5 GB the Angels. I thought they’re like 40-60.

26. OMG! Bagels! says:

Homeruns happen when you’re attacking batters. Hughes said that is what Rothschild told him to do and that is what he did. He settled in nicely after that. I think it was a great outing for him.