Romine picks up three hits in Tampa lossBy
After taking some ground balls at the hot corner yesterday, 2B David Adams is lined up to play third in tomorrow’s game. What that means as far as him potentially coming up to help fill-in while Alex Rodriguez is on the DL, I don’t know. Speculate at your own risk.
Eight games is too much for a full recap, so tonight you get bullet points…
- Triple-A Empire State (win): DH Brandon Laird let everyone know that he wants that big league third base job with a pair of homers, continuing his recent stretch of awesomeness. C Frankie Cervelli left the game in the first inning after a player at the plate — he was the runner, not the catcher. RHP Adam Warren struck out six and walked one while allowing three runs in six innings.
- Double-A Trenton Game One (loss): DH Jose Pirela, 3B Addison Maruszak, RF Zoilo Almonte, and 2B Kevin Mahoney all doubled on the offensive side. RHP Mikey O’Brien allowed three runs in two innings in the original game, which was started Wednesday and completed tonight. RHP Dellin Betances started the continuation and struck out seven in seven innings, including one Immaculate Inning. He allowed four runs (three earned) and walked three, which isn’t awful.
- Double-A Trenton Game Two (win): SS Addison Maruszak and 2B Kevin Mahoney did all the damage with did all the offensive damage with a two-run homer each. Mahoney also tripled and 1B Luke Murton singled twice. RHP Ryan Pope threw three scoreless innings in the spot start.
- High-A Tampa (loss): DH Austin Romine had three singles while RF Tyler Austin had a single and a triple. Neither C Gary Sanchez nor LF Ramon Flores had a hit, plus OF Slade Heathcott and OF Mason Williams didn’t play. Williams is banged up after making a diving catch the other day. LHP Jeremy Bleich allowed three runs (one earned) in two innings in his latest rehab appearance.
- Low-A Charleston (loss): CF Ben Gamel went hitless, but they did get doubles from SS Cito Culver, 1B Tyson Blaser, and C Francisco Arcia. 3B Dante Bichette Jr. singled while RF Rob Refsnyder drew a pair of walks. LHP Matt Bashore allowed a pair of runs in six innings.
- Short Season Game One (loss): CF Ravel Santana returned from his sore ankle to hit a double, so that’s good. C Peter O’Brien and 3B Matt Duran also doubled while SS Claudio Custodio had a pair of singles and a stolen base. LHP Evan Rutckyj walked four and struck out three while allowing four runs in five innings.
- Short Season Game Two was cancelled and will not be made up. I guess the weather was bad.
- Rookie GCL Yankees (win): CF Abe Almonte went hitless in two at-bats and played three innings in the field in his first rehab game. SS Austin Aune continued his hot hitting with a triple, a walk, and a stolen base while LF Ericson Leonora clubbed his second homer in three games. 3B Miguel Andujar singled and doubled. LHP Caleb Frare highlighted the pitching staff with three scoreless innings in relief.