RHP David Phelps got some love in the “Man Among Boys” portion of this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet. He struck out 11 in a Double-A start earlier this week. Also, I missed this the other day, but RHP Jose Campos (elbow) was just cleared to begin his throwing program. LHP Manny Banuelos (elbow) started his a few days ago.
- Double-A Trenton (loss): 2B David Adams walked and singled to continue his hot streak while DH Rob Segedin had a trio of hits, all singles. SS Yadil Mujica also had a pair of knocks. LHP Vidal Nuno got roughed up a bit, surrendering three runs in 5.2 innings. His ERA shot all the way up to 1.57. RHP Graham Stoneburner really gave it up in his bullpen debut, allowing five runs (three earned) in just one-third of an inning.
- High-A Tampa (win): CF Mason Williams and C Gary Sanchez both drew a walk, LF Ramon Flores had three hits (single, double, triple), and DH Slade Heathcott did not reach base. 1B Kyle Roller had three knocks including a solo homer. RHP Shane Greene allowed two runs in 5.2 innings, but he walked as many as he struck out (six). RHP Tommy Kahnle struck out three in 2.1 perfect innings of relief. Kiley McDaniel was at the game and said both guys were throwing serious gas.
- Low-A Charleston (loss): Not much happened on offense, just singles from SS Ali Castillo, RF Eduardo Sosa, CF Ben Gamel, 2B Casey Stevenson, 3B Dante Bichette Jr., and DH Kelvin DeLeon. RHP Will Oliver allowed a pair of runs in five innings of work in an otherwise uninteresting game. RF Rob Refsnyder left the game after a play at the plate, so hopefully he’s just a little banged up and nothing more.
- Short Season Staten Island (loss): 1B Matt Snyder hit a solo homer, just the team’s second non-Saxon Butler homer of the season. C Isaias Tejeda doubled as well. LHP Tim Flight got hammered (five runs, five outs) but RHP Derek Varnadore picked him up with 3.1 perfect frames.
- Rookie GCL Yankees (win): Biggest news of the day is the return of Austin Romine, who went 0-for-2 with an RBI ground out while catching the first three innings. It was his season debut after starting year on the DL with a back problem. As for the rest of the offense, we had two hits from DH Chris Breen (single, double), two hits from RF Yeicok Calderon (singles), two hits from SS Austin Aune (single, triple), and two hits from 3B Miguel Andujar (singles). RHP Joey Maher allowed two runs in four innings before RHP Cesar Vargas followed up with four scoreless of his own.
Triple-A Empire State‘s game was postponed, I believe due to a power outage and not the weather. Don’t quote me on that though. Either way, I’m not sure when they will make this one up, but it won’t be this weekend.