Aug

Aune doubles twice in GCL win

It’s Friday, so I’m going to take the easy way out tonight…

• Triple-A Empire State (loss): They only had three hits as a team — a single by C Frankie Cervelli and doubles by 3B Kevin Russo and LF Ronnie Mustelier. That was it. LHP Mike O’Connor allowed one run in 5.1 innings and RHP Cory Wade allowed an unearned run in 1.2 innings. Not a good game for the displaced SWB club.
  • Double-A Trenton (win): LF Jose Pirela had three hits including a double and the just promoted CF Adonis Garcia had four hits (including two doubles) in his Thunder debut. RF Zoilo Almonte hit a homer, C J.R. Murphy a double. LHP Vidal Nuno struck out nine in five innings, walking a pair and allowing three hits. RHP Kelvin Perez allowed one run and struck out three in two innings, a bump in the road of an otherwise dominant season.
  • High-A Tampa (win): DH Kyle Higashioka and 1B Kyle Roller each homered and drove in a pair while C Gary Sanchez and 2B Jose Toussen both doubled. The last three all had two hits. CF Ramon Flores went hitless in four at-bats and RF Tyler Austin singled. RHP Zach Nuding allowed a pair of runs in 6.2 innings, striking out five and walking one. LHP Jeremy Bleich chipped in two perfect innings with three strikeouts.
  • Low-A Charleston (win): They had five hits as a team and all five were singles, including RBI shots by 1B Saxon Butler and 3B Dante Bichette Jr. The others came from SS Cito Culver, RF Rob Refsnyder, and 2B Jamiel Orozco. Refsnyder stole two bases as well. RHP Phil Wetherell was stretched out to five innings, allowing one run on five hits and no walks while striking out six. The game was completed after six innings due to the weather.
  • Short Season Staten Island (loss): They had a dozen hits as a team but only one was for extra bases — a triple by SS Claudio Custodio: 1B Matt Snyder, CF Ravel Santana, 3B Matt Duran, and 2B Jose Rosario all had two singles apiece. RHP Corey Black allowed one run on four hits and a walk in six innings, striking out five while hitting 97 on the gun.
  • Rookie GCL Yanks (win): SS Austin Aune doubled twice and this year’s second rounder is up to .304/.400/.443 on the season. RF Yeicok Calderon, 3B Dalton Smith, and 2B Jake Anderson all had singles while C David Remedios homered. RHP Gio Gallegos threw two scoreless innings and has now started his career with a 16/1 K/BB in 16 scoreless innings. RHP Rookie Davis threw 2.2 scoreless in his return from a minor arm ailment.
Categories : Down on the Farm

1. DERP says:

It would be great if Black can stick as a starter.

• JonS says:

97 in Staten Island is 92 in YS3.

#JobaRules

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

I’ve been to a bunch of games in SI and I can recall ever seeing anyone come close to 97. I always thought that gun might be a little slow if anything.

• Angelo says:

What if it’s not the stadium radar gun? Norris could have his own radar gun… Not sure if he does though…

• RetroRob says:

Joba registered 100 in three straight appearances at two different levels and different guns.

Try to be direct, not cute.

#JonSFails

• JonS says:

Yea, then magically loses 8mph in YS3. Yea, I failed there.

• RetroRob says:

My point is you seem to be insinuating something, yet you don’t want to say it.

Do you think the Yankees are lying? Are you saying media members like Josh Norris are fabricating numbers? To my knowledge, the Yankees never reported any velocity readings on Joba, so it’s most likely not the former.

What we do know is that it was reported Joba hit 100 mph in three separate appearances, twice at Tampa, once at Trenton. Different radar guns, different reporters. As Josh Norris noted below, he got his reading from
            Gabe Encinas, whom I’m guessing is the Yankee farmhand of the same name. If so, he was there tracking pitches for the Yankees. I doubt they sent Encinas out there with a radar gun that reads 8 mph hot so they could mislead the Yankee organization on how Joba was doing during his rehab.

Hand-held guns can be off by a mile or two, but eight? It seems likely he was hitting the upper 90s at least at peak, although we don’t know what his average velocity was. Probably a few miles lower, but certainly more than the 92 we saw the other day.

Joba is recovering from TJS. Fluctuating velocity and command is quite normal and that may unfortunately be the case for the remainder of this year.

If you have some different opinion and facts to back up whatever it is you’re trying to say, we’d like to hear.

2. Ron says:

Nice stats for Aune. Hope he can stick at SS

• Richard Leo says:

I think he is better than DBJ

• Angelo says:

What makes you come to that conclusion? DBJ raked in the GCL. He’s still young and could continue to play very well next season. He’s pretty young.

I like Aune, but nothing says he’s a better prospect than Bichette at this point. Are you going off of some scouting report? Age? Position? Because I don’t understand what makes one come to think that Aune is better than Bichette.

• Laz says:

Mason williams was a 2nd round surprise too. I really think that aune could be a special player, if he can stick at ss he is even more valuable.

• Angelo says:

That’s completely possible. Maybe Aune is a special player. I just don’t understand how he’s better than Bichette at this moment in time.

We can all think certain things, but without much logic to back it up, it’s hard to know if any of it is justified.

• Angelo says:

Also, Mason Williams was a 4th round pick.

• RetroRob says:

Mason Williams was not really a surprise in the sense that he was considered a good prospect. Players can drop a few rounds based on other circumstances.

Aune could end up better than Bichette. Much too early on either. I’m hoping they’re both good enough to one day see them playing at the Stadium, although the odds are against it.

• Richard Leo says:

sorry,i should say i think he will be better than DBJ,this is what i mean

• RetroRob says:

He’s a reliever.

• Tremont says:

I saw black last night. I agree that he is probably a reliever, but he has a chance to start. Delivery is pretty clean and he has a pretty good idea where the pitch is going. I was looking over a scout’s shoulder and he sat 94-95 with sink all night. I saw 96 once. Didn’t see 97, but I wasn’t checking out every pitch. Secondary offerings are all mediocre at this point.

• RetroRob says:

Ha! I was just kidding. I was referring to Aune, who is obviously a position player. It aways seems that when there’s an interesting starting pitcher in the Yankees farm system, someone will jump in and say he’s a reliever. I just extended that to Aune.

As for Black, I haven’t seen him yet or read much about him, so don’t have an opinion. But trust me. He’s a reliever. : -)

3. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

Bleich is back!

The true third ‘Killer B’ has retuned.

4. Richard Leo says:

Jose Pirela is hitting really well this season,and he can play multiple positions,and he is only 23 at AA.No one care about him?

• Jeety says:

i love him….

Also his last 2 years second half numbers are better than 1st half… he adjusted to a new level then did really well… id like for them to move him up

• Jeety says:

Last year in trenton…

April and may .182 ba
        June through end of season .271 ba

• Angelo says:

That’s a nice improvement, but batting average isn’t the best way to calculate how a player improved. His batting average improving last season could still mean he was terrible/mediocre.

With that said, he’s played very well this season.

• Jeety says:

Its just one example, minor league splits are hard to find, his improvements were across the board in both levels AA and High A in the second half of the year, that is a good sign of adjusting to the level and then playing well.

This season is a continuation of his strong improvement last year. My point was this year he is repeating the level, the last two years the stats don’t look good for the whole season but if u look at the 2nd half stats they are pretty good at both levels.

• Brian S. says:

He’s becoming one of my favorites. The blog overlords hate him though.

5. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (former Manny's BanWagon) says:

Is the ballpark in scranton wilkes-barre gonna be ready next season? That traveling act must be wearing pretty thin by now.

6. MartinRanger says:

Batting second for the Indianapolis Indians? Jose Tabata. He went 1-2 with two walks.

7. Josh Norris says:

To answer a couple of questions: 1) The stadium gun at SI is broken. 2)I do not have my own radar gun, although I wish I did. 3.) The 100 I saw for Black came from the gun Gabe Encinas was holding.

8. chris ginn says:

is there any news on justin james? why is he not getting significant playing time?