First, some notes…
- The Yankees have released 1B Russell Branyan. He missed a whole bunch of time with back trouble this year but otherwise hit .309/.438/.655 with eleven homers in 137 plate appearances for Triple-A Empire State.
- The naming contest for next year’s Triple-A Scranton franchise is down to six finalists: Blast, Black Diamond Bears, Fireflies, Porcupines, Rail Riders, and Trolley Frogs. Typical minor league names. You can vote here for another two weeks.
- RHP Adam Warren earned the tenth spot on this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet while OF Slade Heathcott go some love in the In The Team Photo section.
Second, Friday night bullet points…
- Triple-A Empire State (win): LF Chris Dickerson continued his hot hitting and was a triple shy of the cycle. 2B Corban Joseph (two), LF Ronnie Mustelier (two), and RF Darnell McDonald (three) all had multiple singles. 3B Brandon Laird and C Frankie Cervelli chipped in doubles. RHP Ramon Ortiz allowed four runs in six innings, but RHP Cory Wade picked him up with two scoreless and hitless frames.
- Double-A Trenton (loss): Both LF Rob Segedin and 2B Walt Ibarra had a pair of knocks, including a double by Ibarra. CF Adonis Garcia and 3B David Adams also singled. Very slow night with the sticks. LHP Shaeffer Hall allowed five runs in ten hits in 5.2 innings, though LHP Josh Romanski came out of the bullpen to fire 1.2 scoreless.
- High-A Tampa (loss): Pretty big night for the offense despite the loss. Multiple hits were had by DH Slade Heathcott (two singles), C Gary Sanchez (double and two singles), and 3B Zach Wilson (single and double). CF Ramon Flores drew a walk but did not have a knock. RHP Jose Ramirez recorded just two outs while allowing three unearned runs on three walks. No hits either, so a weird night for him. RHP Sean Black walked four and struck out one while allowing a pair of runs in 1.1 innings of relief.
- Short Season Staten Island (loss): 1B Matt Snyder had the only extra-base hit of the night, a double. The rest of the offense was singles by DH Ravel Santana (two), C Peter O’Brien, 2B Fu-Lin Kuo (two), RF Exicardo Cayones, and 3B Matt Duran (two). RHP Gabe Encinas got rocked, allowing eight hits on seven hits and four walks in five innings. He struck out one.
- Rookie GCL Yanks Game One (win): 3B Dalton Smith doubled and singled for his first two pro hits while 2B Jerison Lopez had a two-bagger as well. SS Austin Aune struck out in all four plate appearances. Ouch. LHP Pedro Feliciano made his first rehab outing while RHP Hayden Sharp followed him up with four scoreless innings. He allowed just a single hit. RHP Brady Lail chipped in three scoreless innings as well.
- Rookie GCL Yanks Game Two (loss): 1B Greg Bird walked twice and got hit by a pitch as he comes back from his back problem. 3B Miguel Andujar doubled and C Chris Breen singled twice to pretty much sum up the offense. RHP Ty Hensley allowed one run in his third professional outing, striking out three and walking two in 2.2 innings. He allowed just one hit.
Low-A Charleston was rained out. They’re going to play a doubleheader tomorrow.