Aug

Game 117: Not According to Plan

(Photo via CookAndSonBats.MLBlogs.com)

The first two games of this four-game series have gone about as well as the Yankees could have possibly hoped. Unfortunately, Mother Nature looks poised to throw a wrench into things tonight. The weather forecast calls for scattered thunderstorms through the evening, so we might have to sit through a rain delay or two. Furthermore, Robinson Cano is out of the lineup with a “stiff neck.” That wasn’t part of the script. Here is today’s starting nine…

SS Derek Jeter
1B Nick Swisher
CF Curtis Granderson
DH Mark Teixeira
3B Eric Chavez
LF Raul Ibanez
C Russell Martin
RF Ichiro Suzuki
2B Jayson Nix

RHP Freddy Garcia

Tonight’s game is scheduled to start a little after 7pm ET, but who knows with the weather. If and when they do play, you can watch on YES locally and ESPN nationally. Enjoy.

Update: The Yankees already announced that tonight’s game will not start on time, so that’s that. No word on a start time yet.

Update Part Two: The game is expected to begin at 8:45pm ET. In case you’re wondering, the Yankees and Rangers share three mutual off days the rest of the way. Making this one up wouldn’t be a problem.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Brian S. says:

The Rays have been perfect game’d more times than they have won playoff series.

2. Big Member says:

I have a theory that Cano knew about Melky’s testosterone level all this time. Below is a moment from the 2012 All Star Game

As you can see, Cano leaves Melky hanging after Melky just hit a home run. They are known to be great friends, why would Cano leave Melky like that? I think that Cano knew about Melky and did not approve. I just hope Melky did not influence Robbie…

• Havok9120 says:

Brilliant!!

Now then, who killed Jimmy Hoffa? AND WHERE’S THE LINDBERGH BABY??!

• Brian S. says:

I’m scared to death the Giants will overreact to this and trade for Carl Crawford.

• Hoss says:

I hear that a deal for Vernon Wells is imminent… not!
        I wouldn’t worry, although Crawford would probably do well in SF.

• Craig says:

They’ve been connected to Alfonso Soriano, who said he didn’t want to go to SF as the weather isn’t “good” for him.

What does he call Chicago weather then?

• Rooting for U.S. Steel says:

Anything is possible, I suppose, but it’s also possible that with the ridiculous fate of the World Series home advantage hanging on the game Cano wasn’t thrilled with the dinger itself…

• OMG! Bagels! says:

There was a discussion about this at the time. The more reasonable explanation is that Robbie was on the opposite team. Another more reasonable explanation is that Robbie was on the grassy knoll. Take your pick.

• Hoss says:

I think that Cano had enough on his mind given the poor behavior of the fans in KC towards him and his family during the AS break to worry about low fiving the Melkman.

• Big Member says:

If your best buddy just hit a home run in the ALL STAR game during which nothing matters why would you not return the high five?

• Hoss says:

Because your mind is elsewhere.

• Big Member says:

Look closely at the gif, Cano is starring RIGHT at Melky, with his arms on his belt WAY before Melky offers the high 5. There was defenetely something between them.

• Havok9120 says:

There’s a pretty good chance it was a joke. I’m not going to say that there’s no way you’re correct, I’m just saying its not the most reasonable explanation.

• Big Member says:

Does Cano’s expression look like a joke to you? Cano was was STARRING DOWN Melky. I think the ump moved up in order to interfere if a conflict would arise.

• jjyank says:

I think you’re reading too much into it. That’s an awfully small example to base such a claim on.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

Because you’re on the other team and you’re not happy about it no matter who hits it; your teammates might not be too thrilled about it; it does matter; you and your family was just treated like shit. And I’m not sure they’re still best buddies.

I don’t think, “Screw him, he’s juicing.” is the only correct answer.

• NYYankeesdude328 says:

Just the night before during the HR Derby – Cameras showed Melky and Cano joking and having fun. During the game, he isn’t a friend…he is still the opponent.

• Stratman9652 says:

I think it was those ridiculous cleats he didn’t a approve of really…

3. DERP says:

This thread has HOF potential.

4. dkidd says:

not that the AL was going to win the game anyway, but melky getting busted highlights the silliness of basing home field advantage on anything but team records

5. Big Member says:

If im Sabean, I would to deal Lincecum to a team DESPERATE for pitching. Guy is 6 AND 12 and has an ERA in the mid 5s. Timmy is Barry Zitto v.2, he started of good but then he just ran out of gas. Plus Giants already have ample pitching

I think the Red Sox can give them Crawford, cash, Ciriaco and Lavarnway. Crawford is a damn good player when healthy and he clrealy needs a change from Boston. Personally, I blame racism. Ciriaco and Lavarnway are very good prospets with bright futures.

6. DERP says:

I’m sure this has been discussed, but Melky Cabrera as a one year stopgap in right for next year?

7. Ro says:

Call the game now. Double header tomorrow. No big deal. Mother nature is serving some serious spice tonight. Serious rain on the way.

• The Real Greg says:

The Rangers are going up to Toronto, so the travel shouldn’t be a problem

• Hoss says:

Got to leave time to go through immigration. Canada can be pretty tough… remember when they detained the Orioles’ Adam Jones because they thought he was Adam ‘Pacman’ Jones?

• Brian S. says:

Why the hell does it rain in July and August in New York? I thought you guys had scorching hot summers?

• Oh, it’s still hot as balls, it’s just raining as well.

• Ro says:

Come down to Union Sq where I live. For whatever reason this area of the city is brutally hot. There are times I walk across 14th and the pavement looks to be melting. Few reasons why: 1.1m people (I prefer to call most idiots) under the age of 30 sapping oxygen and also because it’s one of the wider parts of the city (center point) and little effect (breeze, etc) from the water. Last week the girlfriend and I headed up to Cloisters on Hudson and it was 8-10 degrees cooler up there. The city is weird like that. Always has been.

• Bartolo's Colon says:

i think that is true in almost all parts of the city, asphalt and sidewalks keep it hot

• The Guns of Navarone says:

I think the hottest I’ve ever been in my entire life was last summer on a mid July day when I was walking underground in Penn Station carrying my five year old son who was close to passing out while trying to find the right subway to take and get the hell out of the city. My shirt was absolutely soaked through with sweat.

• Ro says:

I can only imagine. Been there – that whole Penn Station transit point, it’s just insane. It’s funny because people go to Texas for example or Miami and yeah it’s hot, but not NYC hot. NYC hot, 30 feet underground at Penn St with 1,486,345 people is something all of its own.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Living in both NYC and Miami, there’s just no comparison. You never have to brave the elements in Miami. You’re going from one AC to another.

I cannot even tell you how miserable I was the other day at Chambers, which seems to trap dead hot air worse than so many stations (34th is also just awful on the yellow train platform.) I almost decided to buy a house out of the city that day.

• RI$P FTW says:

None of the subways will take you out of the city. They’re all in the city.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Only if you buy me a falafel am I headed down there in this rain.

Slope goes back and forth between “comfortable” and “humid as balls.”

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Rain breaks the heat, at least it’s supposed to.

8. Is the game actually happening? I’m watching Breaking Bad right now, I’m in season 3, and episode 1 is just ending, so I want to know if I should continue the season or switch over to the game.

9. Brian S. says:

I think the team needs a day off anyways. GO RAIN GO!

• Mike N says:

Not gonna happen, based on radar and weather forecast. And even if it did get rained out, they’d probably do a day-night DH tomorrow, right?

10. johnreverent says:

the king is gonna look snappy in pinstripes in 2015

11. Mike N says:

We’re rooting for Boston, right?

12. DERP says:

Jenny Dell sighting a few minutes ago. Even her voice is sexy.

13. DERP says:

Miguel Gonzalez spent the last two years in the Boston organization. I’m sure they would have no use for him this season.

14. The Guns of Navarone says:

ESPN says “hoping for” 8:15 start.

15. DERP says:

Machado sucks

16. Kramerica Industries says:

I missed a perfect game, because I of my job today.

I officially hate my job. This wasn’t just any “perfect game” to me – this is the kind of game I would’ve been able to watch start-to-finish because it’s an easy, local, non-MLB.tv game. I watch the Rays all the time due to this convenience. I cherish having seen Mark Buehrle’s 2009 perfect game start-to-finish.

Not so today. Fuck eh.

17. RetroRob says:

Ha. Michael Kay trying to support his position on Strasburg by using Dallas Green, who is pretty much now viewed as horrific.

I’d like for him to ask Al Leiter what he thinks of Dallas Green.

• CUYanks says:

What’s Kay’s position?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Bent over. No condiments.

• RetroRob says:

The problem I have with Kay’s position is he clearly has one (the Nats should not shut down Strasburg), but he won’t come out up front and say it. He dances around it, leads up to it, and then dismisses every other position, including those of medical experts, if it doesn’t agree with the position that he refuses to fully state.

The closest he’ll come is saying he thinks if an arm is going to blow out it will blow out. I don’t necessarily disagree with that, yet he takes complicated arguments to the extreme, makes them sophomoric, but delivers it in his loud, bombastic style, which makes me want to disagree with everything he says.

18. DERP says:

Boston umps in Baltimore

19. CUYanks says:

Aaron Cook going for the 0 k no-no.

20. Robinson Tilapia says:

Weather’s been really unsteady today. Tomorrow looks spectacular. We even rescheduled a pretty major outdoor event at the last minute because of it.

21. 28 this year says:

8:45 start via LoHud.

22. DERP says:

Is Jacoby Ellsbury the best player ever? I think so.

23. RI$P FTW says:

Tarp – off!

24. CUYanks says:

Giants should aim for a 1-game playoff or multiple tiebreakers so as to exhaust Melky’s suspension sooner. Can they trade him to another team on their off day and then get him back to get his games missed count up too?

25. Brian S. says:

Dewayne Wise with a home run today. Cashman failed.

26. Mike N says:

They’re reporting 8:45Pm start.

27. CUYanks says:

I miss when Dickey only threw 1-hitters.

28. jjyank says:

Haha at the ESPN broadcast. Mets-Reds game while they wait for the Yanks to start (though it’s now Braves-Padres, not sure why). When they were still on the Mets, they were joking about Shoppach and how he was probably approached by teammates as he was leaving and the teammates were all probably like “Hey…take us with you!!”

I got a good chuckle.

29. 28 this year says:

I hope this game gets played. The Yankees are playing well and its better they play now then later as long as the team is playing well.

• CUYanks says:

Yeah, though with Freddy facing the Rangers offense, there’s a chance there might be some regret after a few innings.

30. Kramerica Industries says:

Just because I have to say something about the whole Strasburg mess in D.C.. I c+p’d this from another site I posted it on:

The city of Washington hasn’t seen a playoff baseball game since the 1933 World Series – 79 years ago.

The Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals franchise has only been to the playoffs one time, in 1981. 1994 was the only other time they were even close, but the strike ruined that.

Furthermore from that, they have the best road record in baseball, best record in baseball period, and probably the most electric front-3 in the league, and Edwin Jackson is far from a shabby fourth starter with the season he is having. Couple that with some of their bats coming to life (Daniel Espinosa, Ryan Zimmerman, and Mike Morse) and they have all the makings of a very, very potent team come October. They’ve been holding off Atlanta all season, and I don’t see why they can’t continue. The pieces are in place.

There is no guarantee Jordan Zimmermann can pitch to this ERA again in 2013. Ditto Gio, ditto Jackson and, hell, ditto the Stras. There’s no guarantee the Nationals will be a playoff team in 2013, with the Braves in the division and some stiff competition across the rest of the NL.

I know, I know, it’s Jason Stark and everything, but I thought he brought up an excellent point the other day – Chris Carpenter has not thrown a single pitch this season, and won’t at all. This is the same guy who sacrificed his arm to help deliver the Cardinals the World Series last year. Think he regrets doing what he did? Think Robb Nen regrets throwing his career away in the 2002 World Series in trying to help deliver the SF Giants their first ever championship, and first championship for the franchise in 48 years?

I hear all the time the idea of protecting Strasburg’s arm so the franchise can make “future runs”. To which I, and many other logical people, say – tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. The Nationals can win a championship with what they have right now. Flags Fly Forever.

I mean, this is why we can still look back well on Mr. Burnett. Dismal in 2010, dismal in 2011, but hey, what he did in Game 2 back in the 2009 World Series saved the Yankees’ bacon. If the Nationals do indeed shut down Strasburg, fall short in their 2012 quests, and then are not able to get themselves back to where they are, now, in 2013/14/15/etc., boy is Rizzo going to look foolish.

And poor Davey Johnson, too. The man is 69 years old, who knows how much time he has left in the major leagues? It’s unfair to him as well.

• CUYanks says:

I think risking the end of a veteran’s career is completely different than risking the health of a generation talent at the beginning of his dominant career a year removed from Tommy John. I understand complaining about an innings cap if it was just the “Verducci effect” people were talking about, but we’re talking about coming off TJS.

• Big Member says:

Nah

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d save the kid’s arm. If I was a Nats fan, I’d rather wait an extra year for a potential dynasty than blow my wad on one championship and risk our best pitcher for years to come. I get what you’re saying, but I’d roll the dice the other way.

Then again, this is coming from a Yankee fan perspective. My team’s won seven championships in my lifetime.

• CUYanks says:

Yeah. It might feel different if they had a bunch of old pitchers whose window was closing, but they have a core rotation setup for years to come.

31. Alkaline says:

Well, hope the guys are ready for tonight. Rain delays are a pain in the butt.

32. Kramerica Industries says:

Bye-bye Cook’s bid.

33. Big Member says:

I just remembered that A Rod wanted Yankees to sign Melky before he “broke out” with Kansas. Looks like some people were sharing milk shakes….if you catch my drift

34. Erica says:

Hay kids!

What a day in baseball, eh? Things happening at opposite ends of the spectrum.

A pitcher like King Felix deserved to throw that perfect game he did today. And to think – Kuroda was so close to his no hitter last night! Though, honestly, to two-hit the Rangers? That’s… huge.

Here’s a silly clip to watch while we wait for first pitch: http://www.buzzfeed.com/bfeld/.....-the-limit

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Someone’s feeling it tonight.

• Erica says:

Feeling it as in feeling gross from stupid New York weather (I saw the thread up above about how hot it is in the summer. I CONCUR).

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I stayed in my office all day. We were supposed to have a big outdoor event today, first with the Nets, then with the Jets (but no players.) Now it’s all happening tomorrow, with much better weather. Bummed that we’re just getting a Jets PR team, but it’s the wrong time of year.

• Erica says:

That’s so cool! But… what Jets players would you want to hang out with? (I hope you’re a Giants fan – no self-respecting Yankees fan can actually stoop to Jets fandom, can they?)

• Andruw's Smile says:

We can :(

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I go back and forth between the two. Grew up a Giant fan. Embraced the Dolphins when I was down in Miami. Couldn’t stand to root for such a bullshit franchise, but gravitated towards the Jets now because I initially couldn’t stand Coughlin.

And, no, I wouldn’t be above completely brown-nosing Tebow for a photo-op. Hell, I’d be bossing him around tomorrow.

I’ll tweet you a video from an event we did with the Nets.

• Erica says:

And the Dolphins are embracing Ochocinco no more.

(Yeah, I guess Tebow wouldn’t be bad to meet but I just can’t consider him a Jet just yet. It’s too weird.) I’ll keep a lookout on my Twitter!

• jjyank says:

I’m jealous. DC is insane during the summer. My ridiculous walk to the metro twice a day doesn’t help though.

35. Kramerica Industries says:

Cook just imploded.

36. JonS says:

Hahah WTF was Granderson doing on that catch by Jeter?

37. Erica says:

Awesome first inning, Freddy!

38. CUYanks says:

Felix who? Freddy Garcia has 24 outs to go!

39. Tony says:

Those splitters are turning into knuckelballs

40. Big Member says:

I’m away from TV tonight. On a scale from an eskimo to a fat-kid-who-just-ran-50 meters-and-is-drowning-in-sweat how sweaty does Freddy look tonight?

41. Darren says:

Salino & Barnes, injury attorneys, la di dah de dah, 20-20

42. CUYanks says:

Carl Crawford’s fielding effort has really deteriorated.

43. Brian S. says:

Is Granderson losing his eyesight? Hiding an injury?

44. dkidd says:

for the first time in my life, i actually sorry for the red sox

i’m sure this will pass

45. Bartolo says:

Sooo why is Granderson batting third?…

guh

46. Brian S. says:

So are we going to miss Big Roidi this weekend? Or will he come off the DL just in time?

47. Erica says:

CHAVEZ, you flawless man.

48. Mark says:

Look at Swisheira at first base!

49. Mike N says:

Freddy looking good!

50. CUYanks says:

21 outs to go!

51. JonS says:

Michael Kay is jinxing Garcia’s perfect game bid….

bahahahahahahaha

• Darren says:

I hate the fact that Kay and Sterling to a lesser extent take such pleasure in not paying any attention to the old tradition/superstition of not directly mentioing no-hit_ers or perfe_t games. It was always fun to turn on a game in the middle and hear an announcer avoid saying anything, while still letting you know what was going on.

Oh Kay, let me ocunt the ways in which I hate you. Your last good call? The Tino Grand Slam in 98 WS

52. The Guns of Navarone says:

How much longer until a “Yankees Are Better Without A-Rod” article?

53. Big Member says:

If I am Chavez there aint no way Im accepting a cheap 1 year deal in the off sseason. A .293 3B who has hit 13 HR as a BENCH PLAYER? I’m looking at 2y-15 mill. Yanks better be ready to pay up unless they want A Rod to man 3B next year with .250 10 HR 50 RBI

54. DERP says:

Let’s go Sox. Beat those dumb fucking idiots in Baltimore.

55. The Real Greg says:

Hard right at Kinsler. Bad luck

56. Arya says:

Not sure why a .230 hitter who strikes out 1/3rd of the time is hitting 3rd. I have more faith in Chavy hitting there than Granderson. I wonder if Robbie Cano is available to PH for Granderson later on in the game.

57. Andruw's Smile says:

There is literally always something for the bridge-jumpers to latch onto. I guess that’s the beauty of baseball. Granderson was a pretty good 2nd tier MVP candidate about six weeks ago, now people want him pinch hit for?

58. Big Member says:

Wow really Kay? Nice way to jinx Freddy. Very disresepctful. I would be very offended were I Freddy. Hell, I think that if CC or Hughes were on the mound, Kay wouldn’t joke about that.

• Havok9120 says:

High expectations.

• Mike N says:

There’s no such thing as “jinxing”, and at least Kay doesn’t blather on and on about whether there is such a thing as jinxing like Ma and Pa baseball do endlessly every game that starts out with a few hitless/perfect innings. Anyone listening to the CBS radio broadcast can report back as to whether they were already doing so tonight.

• Andruw's Smile says:

All Kay’s fault.

No, I’m not a huge fan of guys in the booth talking about it all the time, but it isn’t the end of the world to me. And I don’t think its disrespectful. It’s a game, I’m okay with announcers of said game treating it that way.

59. Big Member says:

Happy now Kay?

60. Mike N says:

Freddy’s got awesome movement on his pitches tonight. And he’s barely got a sheen on his face.

61. Erica says:

No more perfect game for Freddy!

62. DERP says:

Let’s go Sox.

63. Erica says:

Chavez is SO GOOD.

64. Mike N says:

Chavez!!!!!

Showing shots on teevee of someone twittering is really just more than I am ready to accept.

65. dkidd says:

i have a man crush on Eric Chavez

66. DERP says:

Adrian Gonzalez ejected.

67. Big Member says:

Chavez got #SWAG

68. Kramerica Industries says:

In this wacky 2012 AL East, sure it is more beneficial for the Red Sox to be beating the Orioles and everything…

but God is it fun seeing the Red Sox disintegrating before our very eyes.

• The Real Greg says:

That’s why I said that game is a win-win.

If Baltimore wins and even sweeps, Boston is going to come in here so downtrodden

69. DERP says:

Valentine ejected. I wouldn’t have stuck up for Gonzalez after all the shit he did.

• Big Member says:

You got it all wrong. Gonzo was bitching about Valentine to the ump, ump got sick of it and ejected him. Valentine went out to talk but ump couldn’t stand Gonzo’s tears and had to remove him from the presence.

• RetroRob says:

Gonzalez’s reputation has really taken a hit over the past year. Boston is the place to go right now for reputation harm.

70. Erica says:

Any updates on Robbie’s sore neck?

71. Erica says:

NIIIIIIIICE Nix!

72. Mike N says:

Are the Sox belting strop?

73. Andruw's Smile says:

I know he’s not the best in the world, but I’ve been really impressed with Nix. Wasn’t expecting a guy who can hold his own really.

74. DERP says:

Pedro Strop has a nicely shaped ass.

75. Mike N says:

JEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

76. DERP says:

I have no idea how Big Member functions in society. I don’t understand 75% of his posts.

77. Big Member says:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo Nix got a single and stole a base! Lets bring him in before we cream the pants.

78. Mike N says:

Classic Jeter hit to go opposite field on that inside pitch.

79. Cy Pettitte says:

Swish laughs at your shift

80. Erica says:

Garbage time bloop!

81. The Real Greg says:

Nick Swisher is eviscerating the Texas Rangers

• Mike N says:

I really want him to wear his cap backwards in the field, like he had on during his post-game interview last night.

82. Get Phelps Up says:

BABIP!

83. Mike N says:

BLOOP DOUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

84. Tom says:

Dunk you very much.

85. Robinson Tilapia says:

So when does construction begin on the Big Member wing of the HOF?

86. Erica says:

Okay, Grandy. I’ll take it!

87. The Real Greg says:

There you go Grandy. Productive

88. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Sac Fly for Granderson

/smallvictories

89. RI$P FTW says:

I’ve been clamoring for Swish to hit #2 for 2 years. I think it’s a good fit for him. It encourages him to take more pitches.

90. Brian S. says:

Right in your wheelhouse Teix…

91. Tom says:

Yankees approach seems solid tonight… they are really working some deep counts and making Feldman work.

92. The Real Greg says:

Ump has had a wide K zone tonight for both pitchers, which works in our favor

93. Erica says:

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

94. Mike N says:

CHAVEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

95. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Chavez.

That is all.

96. FIPster Doofus says:

Chavez for MVP of the world.

97. Cy Pettitte says:

Chavez in god mode. this isn’t even fair, I almost feel bad for opposing pitchers.

98. Big Member says:

Damn I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight. A-Rod, Melky and Cano were like the 3 musketeers of the Yankees. Just look at them, best buds in the rain

The first 2 used PEDs. I’m really worried about my main man Robbie.

Really worried.

99. Get Phelps Up says:

Love you Chavez.

100. The Guns of Navarone says:

Swish totally ignoring Ibanez telling him to slide in home.

101. DERP says:

Do you guys think Eric Chavez is a good player?

102. Andruw's Smile says:

Kay is straight trollin Rangers fans with that Cruz comment.

103. Tom says:

Damn ESPN and that behind the catcher camera angle…

Yes we get it, you have a “new” camera angle, but it is for the most part useless for live action (better for replays)

104. Get Phelps Up says:

RJ, Halladay, Cone, Koufax…?

105. Robinson Tilapia says:

Robbie and Melky were hanging at the Mamajuana Cafe in the Heights when Melky starts making out with this….I don’t know…..loose Dominican tramp. When Melky tries to pass her on to Robbie, Robbie refused. HE KNEW.

106. Darren says:

After Nix just made that catch, Suzyn says: “We say this all the time: Professional Ballplayer.”

107. dkidd says:

just me, or does nix look like a young jim lampley?

108. Cy Pettitte says:

that felt so inevitable after the “no HRs in YSIII” comment

109. Kramerica Industries says:

Requisite home run for Hamilton, in this series.

110. Robinson Tilapia says:

A hearty welcome to those who will now show up to say the Yankees MUST SIGN Josh Hamilton. Enjoy the entertainment.

111. Andruw's Smile says:

Big Member furiously google imaging “Cano and Melky Cabrera”, trying to find incriminating evidence to dispute Cano’s “neck injury”.

112. CUYanks says:

That play happens all the time in video games.

113. DERP says:

sweet inning

114. Kramerica Industries says:

No crooked numbers.

115. The Guns of Navarone says:

Now we’ve got trouble. Freddy’s not great at getting three outs an inning, can’t ask him to get four.

116. The Guns of Navarone says:

Yeah Swish!

117. Mike N says:

SWISHERIFFIC!!!!!!!!!!

118. DERP says:

Swisher has been huge this series.

119. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Nice!

120. Kramerica Industries says:

And there were no crooked numbers.

121. Robinson Tilapia says:

That was a beautiful double play.

122. Chilango says:

Nice play by Swish saves the inning

123. Hey, the game started…anybody wanna give me a quick recap?

• Mike N says:

Search the thread for Big Member.

• Chilango says:

Freddy’s got good stuff and good control -at least so far. Josh hit a bomb to the 2d deck in the 4th. Yanks scored all their runs in the 3d: Nix infield single, stole second. Jeter singled to right, Nix to third. Swisher bloop double to left, J.Nix scored, Jeter to third. Granderson sac to center, Jeter scored. Teixeira struck out. EChavez singled to left, Swisher scored.

124. Robinson Tilapia says:

I can neither confirm or deny that Big Member has footage of Melky and Robbie doing testosterone shots off an underaged Honduran.

However, I can confirm he has the same footage, only with Kuroda and Ichiro.

125. Holy shit, King Felix went perfecto tonight? And I missed it? Damn.

126. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

So Martin can’t beat the throw to second but chubby beltre can?

127. RetroRob says:

Cone’s perfect game. When men were men, games weren’t in hi-def, and pefect games didn’t happen once a week.

128. Big Member says:

There is no reason why Yanks shouldn’t look into Hamiton the offseason. Granderson turned into an Ibanez/Dunn offspring. If Yanks can trade him, they can get a good piece(s) in return. I think Grandy will be making 11 mill or so next year. By getting rid of him, we can go ahead and get Hamilton who will ABSOLUTELY CRUSH the ball in Yankee stadium. .320 47 hr 130 RBIs baby.

If they offer him 5 years/100 mill that is. That’s 20 mill per year, just 9 mill more that they would pay Kranderson. Imagine Robbie and Marky in the same line up. Mmmmmmmmmmm

129. Mike N says:

I don’t think Hamilton has the mental makeup for NY.

130. Mike N says:

Interesting that Jeter wasn’t taking all the way on 3-0, and then took ball four on 3-1.

131. I love that Boston is falling apart even harder. I thought they found the basement when they hired Bobby V, but they broke right through that floor and are still in freefall.

132. Robinson Tilapia says:

They should have never traded Montero. He could be out there giving Freddy moral support right now.

133. Terrible work by the ball boy there. Skippy would’ve had that.

134. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Kinsler looking silly

135. Tom says:

Nice bounce back inning by Freddy. Once again he’s getting it done.

Hopefully the Yankees can tack a few on and maybe Garcia will work deep into this game.

• Mike N says:

What was he bouncing back from? He’s had excellent inning after inning.

• Tom says:

He gave up a HR, loaded the bases and had a long inning…and threw a ton of pitches.

It was a nice quick bounce back inning after that.

• Mike N says:

This is splitting hairs, but I would never call a one-run inning something to bounce back from. Anyway, good that he had a great inning after that one!

136. Chilango says:

WTF is wrong with Granderson.

137. Mike N says:

Who’s excited for the Shaun White Centerstage? I’ve got it set to video tape later.

138. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Ok, the YES booth talking about Grandys swing, cue home run next AB

139. Erica says:

Chav-monster.

140. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Is it ok to have a man crush on Chavy?

141. DERP says:

You guys probably didn’t see that Nick Punto scored 2 runs today for the Sox. Chavez doesn’t have any.

142. dkidd says:

can they wrap Chavez in a bubble to keep him from getting hurt before october?

143. Brian S. says:

Come on Russ. Be inspired after that Ibanez at bat.

144. Robinson Tilapia says:

No Big Member comments in a while. He must be finding the real killers.

145. Erica says:

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiii Hamilton

146. Brian S. says:

Fuck off Hamilton.

147. Cy Pettitte says:

stop throwing meatballs to their best hitter

148. Robinson Tilapia says:

Reminder: “Victory Lap” would start at about the second year of the contract you’re about to propose.

149. Kramerica Industries says:

Another, requisite?, home run for Hamilton.

At least they’ve been solo shots.

150. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Can someone get him boos now

151. Brian S. says:

Why was Russ setting up there? You get Hamilton out low and away!

152. Andruw's Smile says:

Holy Crap

153. CUYanks says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Freddy won’t be facing Hamilton again tonight.

154. MP says:

I definitely do agree with Mike about staying away from Hamilton at all costs, but damn would he be fun to watch play 81 games here.

155. Stratman9652 says:

Love Hamilton’s swing. As far as aesthetically pleasant swings go, his has gotta be right behind Robbie’s from the left side.

156. Chilango says:

6 solid innings from Freddy. I’m satisfied

157. Erica says:

My armchair GM father walks into my room to comment on the game. He said a few things:

-Re: Hamilton’s HR: “Those are the kinds of homeruns Mickey Mantle used to hit.”

-Re: Russell Martin: “I got news for you – Russell can’t hit. Why would you bat him before Ichiro? What a lousy manager.”

Sigh.

158. Ichy balls says:

Girardi sleeping at the switch.

159. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Don’t always agree with the bunt, but I do wish Nix took a couple pitches to see if Ichiro could steal

160. Kramerica Industries says:

Not really feeling Freddy here in the 7th.

161. rich says:

If Nova and/or Hughes had the guts and guile that Mr. Sweaty has, we would have two very good pitchers. IDK how Sweaty does it but he is in the 7th against a very good hitting lineup.

162. Chilango says:

Should have given Ichiro a chance to steal. Freddy’s out there for another one. Fingers crossed…

163. Ichy balls says:

Big zone tonight

164. Get Phelps Up says:

Well done, Freddy. Well done.

165. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Nice game freddy

166. Robinson Tilapia says:

C’mon let’s sweat, bay-bay. Let the music take control….

167. Kramerica Industries says:

That was 2011 Freddy on the mound tonight.

Outstanding.

• rich says:

I wonder what his numbers are since May, they must be very good. I don’t remember too many bombs of starts since then.

168. Mike N says:

I was surprised Freddy started the 7th. Really awesome outing for him.

Go Boony!!!!!!!!!!!!!

169. Andruw's Smile says:

Bravo Freddy. Bravo.

This is the “easiest” Yankee team to root for in some time.

170. captain kiwi says:

that was very kind of the weather to delay the game so i could get off work and at least catch a few innings! i see freddy was solid again today. just need more of a cushion eh…

171. Tom says:

Sutcliffe (aka best in game analyst ever) just got a “Really?” from his own booth, as Sutcliffe continues to say I’m really suprised Garcia is still out there.

“He’s under 100 pitches, he’s, with the exception of Hamilton, has pretty much had this lineup under control all night…”

Is it bad when your fellow broadcasters are calling you out?

172. Erica says:

Yeah, Loone Bogan!

173. Ichy balls says:

Boone robbie and
    Muther fucker i kill you to wrap it up.

174. Robinson Tilapia says:

Where have you gone, Big Member, and how do we get him and Ted to interact on here? Ted may pop blood vessels he didn’t know he had.

175. Cuso says:

I’ve been relegated to the ESPn broadcast tonight, but I am very interested what the YES booth had to say about Melky tonight, if anything.

Can anyone fill me in? O’Neill, Cone, Kay….any memorable opinionated quotes?

176. Ichy balls says:

That sheppers guy was unreal last night hope one day Betance can pitch like that.

177. Chilango says:

Grandy’s due. Let’s go

178. Kramerica Industries says:

Player of the Game.

In the 7th inning, of a 3-2 ballgame. YES is stupid.

• Mike N says:

They do it in the seventh inning every game. What’s stupid isn’t when they do it, it’s that they do it at all.

CHAVEZ!!!!!!!!!

179. Tom says:

I’m confused… why isn’t Washington turning Swisher and Tex around so they can take aim at the short porch like last night?

Damn… he’s learning….

180. Get Phelps Up says:

Thankfully the Yankees didn’t cut Freddy after his bad April.

181. captain kiwi says:

chavez you sexy bitch

182. Kramerica Industries says:

Chavez is just unconscious.

Time for some runs.

183. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Chavy hits a lefty!

184. Erica says:

Chavvvvvvvvvv

185. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Chavy now .303. Damns

186. Zombie is the hottest hitter in the universe right now.

187. Chavez hitting over .600 last six games.

188. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Nice AB against a lefty for Raul.

189. Cy Pettitte says:

during this pitching change I will mentally prepare myself for a strikeout or a ground out to 3rd

190. Get Phelps Up says:

I can’t wait until tomorrow when Eddard declares Freddy Garcia Cashman’s new best FA signing ever.

191. Ichy balls says:

Cano for martin please.
    Can he pinch hit with the neck?

192. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Russel is due, Ogando still rattled. Bases clearing double right here

193. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

dag nabbit

194. Robinson Tilapia says:

I go brush my teeth and take out my contacts and, BOOM, bases loaded.

I come back and, BOO, Russell Martin.

195. The Real Greg says:

Dammit. Right at him

196. Ichy balls says:

One pitch?

197. Tony says:

Just bad luck there

198. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Damn, he roped it

199. Tom says:

Damn ESPN with that camera angle behind the catcher!

I’m not sure if they have used it for a single Texas hitter all game but for some reason continue to use it when the Yankees bat

200. Robinson Tilapia says:

Axisa actually agreed with a guy on the MLBTR chat today that, even with this suckjob 2012, Russell Martin may still get 3/21 in the offseason. I picked the wrong career.

201. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Those are some ugly ass uniforms.

202. This Strikezone is gigantic. I love it.

203. Stratman9652 says:

Lately all my baseball hatred goes toward the Rangers. The Red Sox suck so bad they are merely a blip on the radar.

Unfortunately my idiot Sox fan friends still think it is some sort of rivalry worth bringing up every time the topic turns to baseball. I just can’t make them understand that I am literally indifferent to their shitty sub .500 team. They don’t suck because they are the Red Sox and I am a Yankee fan, they just suck. Literally.

I do, however, still maintain that you can’t swing a dead cat in that dugout without hitting a douchenozzle.

204. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Washington too slow

205. Robinson Tilapia says:

Ron Washington IS TOO DAMN SLOW.

206. rich says:

This guy got a wide strike zone but that was right on the inside corner, stop intimidating the ump Kinsler.

207. captain kiwi says:

kinsler you boob

208. Robinson Tilapia says:

Moving away from the PC. Good night, everyone.

209. Get Phelps Up says:

That was a lovely inning, David.

210. YankeeDave says:

Nice job Robertson!

Strike zone has been huge all night, Kinsler needs to stfu!

• 28 this year says:

I am sure thats part of it but that pitch was perfectly over the plate. Nothing in question about that. Right at the knees on the inside corner. Perfect fb.

211. 28 this year says:

Thats the good D-Rob adn bye bye Kinsler. Sorry a pitch right on the corner was called a strike.

212. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Rangers frustrating. Pretty awesome.

213. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Kinsler thrown out andrus slamming his helmet, the rangers are def. frustrated with this series, and if the yanks can hang on tonight, I think they will be firmly in their heads

214. Mike N says:

Kinsler was delusional there.

215. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Insurance runs would sure be nice.

216. Ichy balls says:

Get MFIKY up.

217. We’re in the heads of the Rangers. I love it.

218. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Steal please.

219. rich says:

I know Ichiro is fast but its amazing to actually watch four hoppers to third are easy infield singles.

220. captain kiwi says:

be surprised if ichiro doesn’t go

221. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Perfect bunt

222. Cy Pettitte says:

Nix, so gritty.

223. Get Phelps Up says:

Only baseball player would have beat that out.

224. Get Phelps Up says:

Double steal here.

225. Cy Pettitte says:

are you kidding me?

226. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

nice fucking bunt, Cap

227. Kramerica Industries says:

That really, really backfired.

228. RetroRob says:

Bunts suck.

229. Mike N says:

Smart fielding play by that pitcher.

230. captain kiwi says:

holy shit that was ugly.

231. Heisenberg's Hat says:

Jeter just invented a new way to hit into a double play.

232. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Another crushed out

233. Tom says:

16 baserunners and only 3 have scored…

Let’s hope MFIKY can close this out

234. Cuso says:

Hopefully the piss-poor execution doesn’t come back to bite us, but…..

235. Kramerica Industries says:

Hamilton is a scary proposition right now.

236. Nice snag with the cap by richy-rich in the first row.

237. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

And exhale

238. MFIKY all over Hamilton there. FUCK YEAH!

239. RetroRob says:

Be more comfortable with Robertson pitching to Hamilton, but Soriano did his job with the K.

240. Kramerica Industries says:

Beltre scared me there for a second.

• RetroRob says:

When he drops to his knee like that, it usually means he connected hard. Often a HR.

How does a hitter develop a drop-to-knee swing like that?

241. Kramerica Industries says:

I wanna see if Swish had the bag.

242. Damn…the pick was so smooth there too Chavez….looks like he should’ve been out.

243. rich says:

He was out, bad call by the ump

244. Cy Pettitte says:

terrible call. fuck you ump.

245. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

He was out.

/fuckingumpires

246. captain kiwi says:

horse shit. game over dammit.

247. Get Phelps Up says:

Wow he definitely was on the base.

248. Mike N says:

ROBBED!!!!!!!!

249. YankeeDave says:

Unbelievable, that is the first bad throw from Chavez in a long long time.

250. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Why we need replay

251. JLC 776 says:

Bullshit!!!!

252. rich says:

Looks like a 4 out save by Soriano, thank god he got over that earlier this season.

253. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Untuck MFIKY!

254. Kramerica Industries says:

And now, that’s ballgame.

Time for the sweep tomorrow!

255. Mike N says:

YUAYUAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

256. Get Phelps Up says:

Untuck bitches.

257. Thaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

Take it

258. Kramerica Industries says:

I have Sori on my fantasy team.

I want credit for four outs tonight.

259. Tom says:

Soriano with his first 1-2-3-4 inning?

260. flamingo says:

I did not anticipate this series going so well.

261. Mike N says:

Is Chavez from California? He has kind of a surfer dude accent.

262. captain kiwi says:

eat balls rangers.

263. Rich in NJ says:

Chavez has been a remarkable this season.

Marakovits’s arms looked ‘roided in that closeup. ;)

264. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Great job by MFIKY pulling it out anyway, but the sooner we get robot umps the better.