Aug

Game 124: Escape from Chicago

(AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

It’s been a miserable trip to Chicago’s south side for the Yankees, where their pitchers haven’t pitched and their hitters haven’t hit (enough). Tonight’s pitching matchup is pretty lopsided — Cy Young candidate Chris Sale vs. homer machine Phil Hughes — and if there’s such a thing as momentum, the Yankees don’t have it. Squeeze out a win tonight and head into tomorrow’s off-day on a high note. Here’s the starting nine…

SS Derek Jeter
RF Nick Swisher
2B Robinson Cano
1B Mark Teixeira
DH Andruw Jones
CF Curtis Granderson
Russell Martin
3B Casey McGehee
LF Ichiro Suzuki

RHP Phil Hughes

Tonight’s series finale is scheduled to start at 8:10pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and ESPN2 nationally. Enjoy.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Big Member says:

Pithcing has been the number 1 problem for the yankees this year. it all started in the winter of 2012 when cashman traded a burnet to the pirates for michael piennda. why did cashman trade aj big member?was it worth it? i do not know. well i analised there stats and i gotta say cashman made some very silly mistake……

AJ Burnett- 15 W, 3.65 ERA

Mike Pineda- 0 wins DUI

stats dont lie folks. aj bunett has been an ace while pienda is the second cuming of carl pavano. mr aj burnett has 4 more wins than the highest people with wins on the yankees, kuroda and hughes who has 12. thus aj burnett has been much very better than any pitcher on th yankees.

why thnking about the past big member? becasue apparently my friend told me that players still can be traded in august. i laughed at his becasue everybody knows that the trading players deadline is on july 31st. he told me some very stupid things and hard stuff about some whafles lines and how players can be put on these whafles. i laugh and laugh but then he show me wikipedia article on it and i got that he is true. so yankees CAN trade in august and thats good folks becasue i have a plan to get aj back in pinstrpes.

today an insder on a special prgram called “twitter” send me top secrte informaion that ivan nova has a shoulder trouble. cashman quickly has to offer nova and freddy garcia to the pirates so that they can trade aj back to us. its a 2 for one trade, 2 good pitchers for an ace and it looks fare in my books. the thing is the pirates gm needs to sign the trade quickly so the news of novas shoulder does not go public.

• jjyank says:

But Mr. Member, I want to know your thoughts on Bartolo Colon! Enlighten me!

• Big Member says:

you should read my testoseterone theory that i posted awhile back here. basicly through medical research i found out that man of dominican desscent has higher testosterone levels then man of white and black descent.that is why melky,arod, ortiz and now colon are falsly accused.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Top notch post, from beginning to end.

• Yankeesteve says:

LOL…AJ could NOT handle pressure in Ny . No pressure in Pitt or Tornto! Would have Released him after all his “stuff” never was seen here, good riddance! Forget Pineda lets see Hughes, Nova, Phelps, Joba step up!

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I nominate this for best post of all time.

I know lol is overused, but I LITERALLY laughed out loud when I read this. As jjyank said, GOLD.

• Definitely your best work to date.

• Cuso says:

It takes a lot of effort to put a piece of art like this together.

I mean you have to really try to be this fruity.

Well done.

• Mick taylor says:

Cashman did not trade Burnett. He got two useless minor leaguers and is paying the pirates 13 million for him to win maybe 20 games. In thehistoryof baseball that has never happened. I was only all for trading him if the pirates had given us something of value or taken his entire contract. Otherwise why not just try to get something out of him. Cashman gotfleeced.

• Mick taylor says:

Cashman got fleeced by the pirates. I was against the Aj move because they should only have traded him if theygot something of value or if the pirates took the entire contract. The yanks are paying the pirates 13 million for him to win 20 games. This is crazy. When Alex rios went to Chicago and wells to the angels those teams took the contracts. Idiot cashman could not do this.

• pistol pete says:

Cashman wasn’t an idiot for the contract part of the trade, that was the market for AJ at that time last year and instead of trying to fix AJ for the third straight year Cashman chose to cut bait. Nobody would have taken any more money than the Pirates. It was either make the deal they did or try and fix AJ. Most Yankee fans and the front office were sick of AJ let’s just admit it. It was a fact that everyone was sick of him.

• Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

How does it keep getting better?

2. Arya says:

Tampa has taken care of business and won today. We need to do the same or this lead is down to 3. Mr. Sale is the quality of pitcher that we’ll see in the postseason so this will be a good test for the offense.

3. Charles says:

Reverse lock anyone?

4. Betty Lizard says:

I’m turning into the sort of Yankees fan other people hate: I’m pissing and moaning and WHINING and angry at every loss and feeling ENTITLED to win and win and win again. :-(

Seriously, I lost my baseball equanimity when Alex Rodriguez got hurt and I haven’t really recovered it. I did check in long enough last night to see Russell Martin’s single (He’s a MAN!!!) but missed his homer and realized that it wouldn’t even have cheered me up. Bad sign.

In this state I dare not watch Phil Hughes pitch as I have an irrational (?) dislike for him even on a good day. . .

But enjoy the game, all. I’m just waiting for our escape from Witch Mountain–er, Chicago.

5. Mike N says:

Just briefly before the first pitch, I would like to revisit last night’s game and the question of whether Girardi could have possibly taken out Nova before he allowed Youkilis’s slam. I would argue that other than if the pitcher is injured, there is no other circumstance in a regular season game in which a manager would (or should) ever pull the starter in the bottom of the fifth of a 2-2 game with the bases loaded.

Any other thoughts?

6. Pat D says:

It is time for all of us to take up pitchforks and go drag Skip Bayless out of his home by the ears while he whines that he didn’t mean anything he ever said.

7. Hummingbird S. says:

I haven’t seem a lot of people talk about this, but Cano has lost the ability to hit LH pitchers this season… he’s been atrocious against them

8. jjyank says:

Nice, Robbie. I thought that was sneaking through.

9. Chilango says:

tight zone tonight?

10. Mike N says:

C’mon, Hughes!!!

11. Arya says:

And of course Phil can’t put away Konerko after getting ahead. ATTACK!

12. Karl Krawfid says:

Phils arm angle man.

13. jjyank says:

Whew. Thanks, Tex.

14. Tony says:

I’m stuck between listening to Hawk Harrelson or Jon Kruk on ESPN for this game. This sucks

15. Christopher says:

Does anybody else suffer from chin sweat? It happens to me all the time. No messing around, Phil. Win.

16. Mike N says:

Kay’s moral judgment act is really nauseating. He’s going on about the ChiSox attendance as if it makes him morally superior to the people of Chicago because they don’t fill the stands ChiSox fans are more working class than the Cubs’, the economy sucks, and it’s expensive to go to baseball games, especially when the ChiSox have special higher ticket prices for games against the Yanks. Fuck you, Kay.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I think you’re being unfair to Kay. I don’t really think he’s “judging” anybody. He’s just pointing that it’s surprising and sad and, for the White Sox themselves, disappointing that a first place team can’t sell out even when playing arguably the best and easily the most popular team in baseball. And he’s right-it’s even worse when they can’t sell out to their cross-town rivals. You’d think at least that the Cubs fans who come would fill it out…

I don’t have a problem with what he’s saying.

• Mike N says:

Kay has always severely rubbed me the wrong way–I find him pompous, overbearing, ignorant of baseball, and humorless–so maybe I’m reading more into than is there in this case.

17. Karl Krawfid says:

Swing at everything.

Great approach.

18. This thread’s already making my head hurt between “sports journalist” Skip Base-less and Big Member.

19. TampaYankee says:

Oh great. Did anyone else notice Tex wincing and grabbing his wrist after he slid into 2nd?

That’s making me nervous.

20. Christopher says:

Sales has to be the skinniest guy in the majors.

21. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Listening to the White Sox radio broadcast. The announcers are certainly speaking their minds. Complaining about how the White Sox fans barely show up to support a first place team, how Yankee fans are comfortable in Chicago but the home crowd is much more supportive in New York, etc. They weren’t criticizing NY fans at all, saying they’re gracious on the train afterwards, just pointing out that Yankee fans treat their team better.

22. Athenian says:

So what are the plans for the Yankees and their pitchers? Pettitte won’t be back this season, Hughes is a 4 inning pitcher along with Freddie and Nova. This does not look good.

• jjyank says:

Hughes can only pitch four innings? Pettitte won’t be back? Where do you get your information, exactly?

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

gloombagger-pedia

• Athenian says:

Pettitte can barely put pressure on the leg. It is not going to heal in time. Hughes, is already at 22 pitches. He will be at 45 at the end of the second, unless he settles down but he doesn’t have his out pitch, already has 2 walks, so estimation on 4… maybe 5.

• 45 by the end of the second…or 30.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

45 … 30
          same difference
          Care to make any more useless predictions?

• jjyank says:

1. Everything I (and everyone, besides you) have read suggest that Pettitte’s setback was very minor and is still on track to be back in September. The only questions seems to be how many regular season starts he can get before the playoffs, not if he’ll be back at all. In fact, the reports I’ve seen suggest Pettitte is moving around just fine.

From LoHud: “For now, Pettitte is just trying to get to the point that hitters are necessary. He said he hasn’t felt any sort of discomfort for a few days now, and the most recent X-ray was extremely encouraging. Yesterday, Pettitte said he wouldn’t rule out playing one more season, but he’d like to finish this season first.”

2. Do you watch baseball? You can’t project a starter’s innings bases on pitches thrown in the first inning or two. A couple of 1-2-3 innings and he’s right back on track. And I’m not talking about tonight, I’m talking about Hughes over the last few months.

• Mike N says:

Some of Big Member’s twitter inside sources?

TROLL

• Athenian says:

LIsten Lord of the Rings, you bitch as much as most of us on here but are the first to call someone a troll. Seriously? Is this like a power move? I don’t get it, but then again, I understand the rule you follow – selective exemption. You should run for public office with rules like that.

• Where do you get this stuff? Hughes has gone 5 or further in all but 3 starts since the start of May.

23. Arya says:

Teixera could have taken a nap at 2nd and it wouldn’t have made a lick of difference, he wasn’t going anywhere.

TROLL

Because you only come here when the team is losing.

• Arya says:

Well, according to you the Yanks won’t win the WS anyway so I guess I’ll be here for a while.

• The Real Greg says:

I don’t EXPECT them to win the WS.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

You said yesterday they WON’T win the world series.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Beat me to it.

• The Real Greg says:

I don’t think they will. The playoffs are too much of a crapshoot. But I leave it at that. I don’t exacerbate negativity like some people on here do.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I don’t exacerbate negativity like some people on here do.

Yes you do.

Not anymore I don’t. I say “They lost, oh well” and move on

• Get Phelps Up says:

When did you say that? Yesterday? Only because the Rays lost. If the Rays won yesterday you’d be here saying the Yankees were going to undoubtedly lose their division lead.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

You exacerbate negativity by pissing everybody off Greg, not for being negative about baseball.

Believe it or not, most of us don’t care if somebody is negative. We care if they’re making stupid comments. During losses, the stupid comments tend to be negative.

Stop giving two shits about negativity, Greg.

• The Real Greg says:

Well I do. It ruins what could be be perfectly well conversation.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

The fact that you care is the reason we’re all pissed at you.

There are several interesting discussions in this thread. There were several interesting discussions in the last thread. Maybe you should pay attention to them instead of getting all hot under the collar about “negativity”, Greg.

At least, not anymore.

24. Mike N says:

Above and beyond the AL East, I hope the Yanks take a nice lead and keep it this game so that we don’t kill each other in this thread.

25. Chilango says:

Hughes looks good so far. May it continue ever thus…

26. Why does it seem like every time Hughes pitches I find myself on his B-Ref and Fangraph page realizing people are actually dumber than I’m giving them credit for.

• jjyank says:

I do the same thing. I actually had Hughes fangraphs page up before the game started. It’s sad, really.

• Mike N says:

Because people are almost always dumber than one tends to give them credit for, regardless of context?

• Athenian says:

Its not that people are stupid, it is that during an in game thread comments are purely emotional. With Hughes, Yankee fans were promised a Golden Egg and what they have received is scrambled eggs. Inconsistent, injury prone, marginally effective most innings – yes I could be describing 80% of the pitchers out there but if they do not wear Pinstripes, they are of no importance.

27. Kramerica Industries says:

That pitch didn’t hit anything.

28. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Random thing I just looked up about Ichiro because the White Sox broadcast mentioned a comparison to Sandy Koufax (since they both played 12 MLB years).

Sandy Koufax played 12 seasons and compiled 50.3 WAR. Ichiro has played 12 seasons and has compiled 54.5 WAR.

29. Pat D says:

Watch Jeter pull an 0-fer tonight. Then in the postgame interview when asked why he didn’t get a hit, he’ll say, “Well, I just decided to not try tonight since I’m sick of carrying this team offensively right now. But mostly I did it just to fuck with Skip Bayless and prove I could have a bad game so maybe he’ll back off before I sue his stupid hick ass for slander.”

At least…that’s what I’d like to see.

30. Kramerica Industries says:

Oh here we go again…

31. jjyank says:

Fuck. A DeWayne Wise bunt.

32. Chilango says:

Oh no here we go again

33. Karl Krawfid says:

He was out.

34. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

He’s out.

35. Mike N says:

Bad call!

36. Get Phelps Up says:

Wow he was out.

37. your mom says:

I’m beginning to hate Wise now.

38. Arya says:

Watch how the Sox manufacture runs in a game where runs might be at a premium. This is how you win in the playoffs. Not sure why we got rid of a .300 hitter in Wise when we only have two .300 hitters in our current lineup.

39. Chilango says:

Hughes is throwing his change for strikes and to righties. A good sign

40. Athenian says:

here we go… ugh!

41. Chilango says:

Oh so THAT’s what hitting WRiSP is.

• Mike Axisa says:

They didn’t even get a hit. The bunt was a blown call and the other was a sac fly.

• The Real Greg says:

See what I mean? Negativity that is factless.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Greg, are you really saying that with no trace of irony?

You used to post factless negativity all the time. Now it’s rarer, and somehow you’ve switched to nonsensical optimism more often (for example, yesterday’s game meant NOTHING because the Rays had lost). But given how often you used to post how games were over in the 2nd inning, I don’t think you’re one to complain.

(Also, I hope Chilango’s post was sarcastic. If not, it was ridiculous.)

• Steve says:

Weren’t you also the idiot that used to complain that you needed the Yankees to win to feel good about yourself? Either you’re the most elaborate troll ever or you’re just an ass.

42. Tom says:

It’s amazing how the ESPM broadcast actually stops the replay with his foot in the air above the base and the idiot Kruk saying “it’s amazing how good these guys (umps) are”

43. Big Member says:

ugh Mike I get an answer to my email or tweet? i have many other offers regadring writing positions inlcuding very well known papers but i will consider if the benefits are suficent. dont miss out this rare opurtunitey.

44. Karl Krawfid says:

This team :(

45. Nice Scheister says:

Bad umpiring crew is bad.

46. Chilango says:

Phil is not pitching badly. Keep it close, hope our guys step up.

47. Mike N says:

Get this fucking third out, and Hughes is still pitching well with a decent count.

48. Nice Scheister says:

Should be two outs, nobody on. It was close at first but not that close.

• Chilango says:

shoulda woulda coulda they got the runner in from 3rd and lead 1 – 0

• Nice Scheister says:

The run would’ve scored regardless, yes, but this particular umpiring crew isn’t all that good. That’s all.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’m pretty sure he knows that and was complaining that the umpires probably helped the White Sox get a run they most likely wouldn’t have scored.

I’m willing to bet he knows the score.

49. Nice Scheister says:

Let’s get this elusive fourth out of the inning!

50. Cano…with a double…off of a LHP?! I are confused?!?!?!

• Pat D says:

That’s not confusing. Confusing is why I went to Yahoo a few minutes ago. I was going to search for something but I got distracted by a news article regarding Natalie Portman in some ad campaign where she’s pretending to be naked.

Almost 9 weeks of unemployment and my brain has turned to mush.

• jjyank says:

Being intrigued by “Natalie Portman” and “naked” in the same sentence does not mean your brain is mush.

• Pat D says:

Yes, it does, because I forgot what I was going to do in the first place. I can only keep one thought in my head and that one thing will always be replaced by anything involving hot women.

• jjyank says:

That just means you’re a straight man. I’m only 24 and the same thing happens to me all the time. I like hot women more than most things, so unless I’m snowboarding while listening to Bob Marley and drinking expensive tequila, chances are I would drop whatever thought was on my mind. You’re not alone!

• That’s enough to distract any man. How’s unemployment treating you so far btw, do anything interesting with your time off?

51. jjyank says:

Nice Robbie. Hopefully that one is the slump-breaker.

52. Kramerica Industries says:

Of course that one didn’t get out.

Watch him get stranded now.

53. stuart a says:

BA RISP always the story with the Yanks. Ajones terrible unproductive AB with Tex at 2nd with zero outs and Youkilis flyout to right.

little things make all the difference..

the team looks half asleep. let’s give Cano a 7 year deal at $25 mill. after all he is a 300 hitter (barely) and he may drive in 90 rbi’s this year and he steals 4 bases a year………….

team is sleepwalking

54. Chilango says:

Another lead off double. Let’s plate him this time guys

55. Nice Scheister says:

This Chris Sale kid spent all of what 12 innings in the minors, the kid is good!

56. Plot Twist: Big Member actually believes everything he is saying.

57. Chilango says:

From 94 to 79 with control. Sales is on tonight.

58. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

fucking awful Andruw

59. Kramerica Industries says:

Yep.

Game of inches not rewarding Robbie or the Yankees right now.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Careful, you said something negative. Don’t want Greg complaining, right?

• The Real Greg says:

No. That’s just being depressed. I can take depressed. I can’t take negativity for the sake of being negative.

• Kramerica Industries says:

I know this is sarcasm. I’ll throw in a somewhat serious response anyway – I don’t care.

I’ve never understood the internet way of thinking. We’re all anonymous to each other. I’m a poor schmuck trapped a thousand miles away from New York. I’ll likely never meet any of you guys. Why should I get butthurt over what others think of me?

Besides, my real life character is getting back in shape the past few weeks, and I’m fairly satisfied about that.

• Chilango says:

Greg is the resident blog shrink with his bullshit analysis and judgement of people he doesn’t know. When and if the Yankees start playing better, he’ll get a flood of positivity here.

• The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

You’re right, it’s sarcasm.

60. Mike N says:

RISPFAIL.

61. The Real Greg says:

Axisa, just a general question. Why do you like Andruw JOnes so much?

62. your mom says:

Holy shit, what a swing.

63. Mick taylor says:

Cashman got fleeced. He got nothing for Burnett. The yanks are paying pirates 13 million to may be have Aj win 20 games. I was all for trading him but only if they got something of value or the pirates took the entire contract

64. Chilango says:

1 and 2, Andruw takes one close as fuck and then K’s on one neck high. Awful

65. Karl Krawfid says:

Nice 2 strike fastball down the middle.

66. Phil got a lot of pitches in the middle of the plate against Rios…hopefully it was a momentary thing…

67. Mike I know you don’t like people posting political things…but this is just too funny: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tum.....o1_500.png

68. Get Phelps Up says:

At least the Orioles are getting wrecked.

69. Arya says:

Andruw’s sole job on the team is to crush LHP. His OPS vs LHP- .737

Dewayne Wise’s OPS vs LHP – .923

Casey McGee is a better option at this point than Andruw and that’s sad.

70. Mick taylor says:

Andruw jones fans unite. He has come twice with a runner on second and failed to drive him in. The second time he struck out on a pitch way out of the zone. He should be dfa because he is doa

71. Christopher says:

Ichiro moves like nobody else in the game

72. your mom says:

I like these change-ups to righties.

73. The Real Greg says:

Well even if we lose this game, Phil Hughes has shown himself to be the 4th starter in the playoffs and possible 3rd if Pettitte doesnt come back.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

based on 3.2 innings in one game?

• The Real Greg says:

Based on his work against 2 good offenses. Remember the Red Sox runs were unearned and came at the expense of his fielding.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

My point is, his start today is far from over, and there’s several weeks left in the season. What he’s done in the first 4 innings doesn’t show anything except that he would be in the rotation if the playoffs started today. They don’t.

• Chilango says:

Too small a sample size to risk it in the playoffs.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Whichever one of Hughes, Garcia or Phelps is pitching the best at the end of the season is going to be the 4th starter in the playoffs.

74. Karl Krawfid says:

2 strikes. You know a fastball is coming.

75. Get Phelps Up says:

3 HRs for Beltre…and it’s the 4th inning.

76. Christopher says:

Ok, now some runs, svp.

77. Athenian says:

Looks like from September 3 to September16th perhaps, could determine the division – 6 against TB, 3 against Bal, with a splash of soon to be fired Valentine Red Sox in there.

• The Real Greg says:

Rays have a difficult stretch coming up. They get the A’s, Rangers, Jays, Yankees, Rangers, Orioles, and Yankees again.

• jjyank says:

As much as I would love to see Bobby V fired, I doubt it happens until the off season.

You know what, on second though, I never want to see Bobby V fired. I hope he gets offered a lifetime contract.

78. your mom says:

Sale is eating Curtis alive.

79. Heisenberg's Hat says:

Let’s give Sale a 5 or 6 pitch inning. That’ll work.

80. Kramerica Industries says:

Chicago is a wonderful city, but I can’t wait for the Yankees to get the hell out of there.

81. Karl Krawfid says:

Fucking Granderson wow he sucks.

82. Widget says:

Martin. I hate you.

83. oldmanalex says:

is this Sale guy for real? or a one hit wonder.

84. wow says:

nope, stil don’t see how all these platoon players are even remotely a good idea.

85. The Real Greg says:

Are people really bitching about the offense tonight? This guy’s a Cy Young candidate.

86. oldmanalex says:

man mcgee is fucking slow.

87. Christopher says:

Sale doesn’t ever throw a pitch at the same speed twice in a row.

88. stuart a says:

granderson does not suck but he is not great. he is a decent fielder with power. who strikes out a friggin ton….he never steals a base any more also.

this team is sleepwalking. the russel 1 pitch outs especially help… what a train wreck this team is……

they suck against lefties .. btw they friggin miss dewayne wise, that is a scary statement….

lifeless.. no productive outs. add no homers and you get no scoring……

if they do not have homefield advantage for the playoffs they will lose… no short right field porch and this offense is offensive…………

89. Mick taylor says:

Andruw jones fans unite

90. Athenian says:

fuck this guy is on tonight. This does not bode well to preventing a sweep.

91. Mike N says:

TOSS HIM!!!!!!!

92. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Ha. Pretty much the exact same pitch that was just called a ball.

93. Cuso says:

“The Kia Scoreboard shows the White Sox with a 1-0 lead.”

So wait….is there a different scoreboard that I can look at? That tells me an alternate score?

94. The Real Greg says:

Such is the way of baseball

If we had Phil Hughes on either of the first two nights, we would be in good positions to win either of them.

It’s in hindsight, but just shows how baseball is luck.

• forensic says:

FALLACY!!!

• The Real Greg says:

I said it was in hindsight. Plus I didn’t say that the Yankees would win.

• forensic says:

Saying the word hindsight doesn’t negate it, it only makes it even more obvious. You really need to never use that word again if you have no idea what they are.

And saying they would win vs. being in better position has no effect on it. You’re asserting that he would have essentially the same results under completely different circumstances.

• The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

If it wasn’t the “Greg” Negativity Police he’d be jailed for misuse of logic.

95. amanda says:

what teams clenup hitters hits 212 ? lame

96. The Real Greg says:

Michael Kay is unamerican

97. Cuso says:

JOe might get run protecting Ichiro tonight

98. The Real Greg says:

He didn’t swing. Not a good night for umpires.

99. Kramerica Industries says:

How the hell was that a swing?

100. your mom says:

Fucking umps.

101. Cy Pettitte says:

God mode

102. Mike N says:

JETER’S JUICING!

lolz

103. Kramerica Industries says:

Fucking Jeter!

104. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Jeter is amazing.

105. Get Phelps Up says:

<3 Jeter

106. The Real Greg says:

Jeter imagined Bayless’s head out there.

107. Heisenberg's Hat says:

I hate having to decide check-swing calls, but that looked like he checked.

108. jjyank says:

‘Atta boy, Captain.

109. Cuso says:

That was for the asshole that said 50-game suspension to Jeter while heckling him about 15 seconds ago

110. Chilango says:

CLONE the Captain

111. DERP says:

PED user!

112. oldmanalex says:

can someone get my boy jeter the Most Valuable Player award.

113. your mom says:

Must be the roids. Right Skip?

114. pistol pete says:

Jeter’s on fire and I was one last year that thought he had very little left at the plate.

115. Heisenberg's Hat says:

Bob. Sad face.

116. Chilango says:

Cano swung at a WP for fucks sake.

117. Pat D says:

I betcha Skip talks about Jeter tomorrow. I might have to tune in to see the hilarity.

118. Mike N says:

It feels like Cano hasn’t been ahead on a count since I can’t remember when.

• OMG! Bagels! says:

Robbie can get into really out-of-touch-with-reality modes. Like he’s dazed and confused or would rather be anywhere but on a baseball field.

119. Cuso says:

Hughes didn’t like having a lead

120. Kramerica Industries says:

It took three pitches to give the lead back.

Three fucking pitches.

121. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Pitches don’t get much more down the middle than that one.

122. your mom says:

ahh, shit. Of course.

123. DERP says:

smh Phil

124. Karl Krawfid says:

Who didn’t see that shit coming?

1 pitch pitcher.

125. The Real Greg says:

Meatball.

126. Chilango says:

Flying Balls Phil and the Choke show is back in town

127. The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

GENERAL NOTICE: Any negativity after this home run will have you jailed with a bail of 200 Greg-dollars. You have all been warned.

128. Cuso says:

The Phil Hughes mantra: “Shutdown innings: who needs ‘em?”

129. Tom says:

Might want to try something other than fastballs down the middle to Rios… that’s 3 fastballs he’s hit on the nose

130. Anthony says:

oh brother.. nothing like seeing Nova right behind Hughes on that home runs allowed graphic..

131. Chilango says:

So THIS is what it feels like to be a Red Sox fan.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

This is nothing what it’s like to be a Red Sox fan.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Being in first place is what it feels like to be out of contention?

• jjyank says:

I posted a question mark because that’s all I could think of initially. But I am disliking your commenting more with each passing day. The Red Sox are 5 games under .500 and 13 games out of first place and they are rife with clubhouse drama. The Yankees have the best record in the AL, and there is literally nothing in common between those two teams, or their respective fans.

132. Athenian says:

there is the Phil that causes people’s heads to explode… Right on cue.

133. The Real Greg says:

Still like what Hughes gave tonight. 6 IP 2ER.

134. Mike N says:

Overall this has been an excellent outing for Hughes so far against a very good lineup. We just need to score some fucking runs.

135. the only hughes fan left says:

hughes only gave up 2 runs calm down

136. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Do something useful please Andruw.

137. Frank says:

Last start Hughes mixed in a change quite a bit to throw the hitters off balance. For whatever reason, he’s back to primarily just FBs, many of which are not very good. He’s only down 2-1 but I counted at least 3 FBs hitters just missed and popped up.

138. The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

Uh-oh. Time for me to get my nightstick ready.

(Also not a sexual pun).

139. The Real Greg says:

Oh well. We get the struggling Indians next.

• The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

Oh Greg, do you really want your own police force to jail you? Don’t make me do this. Just think for a moment and realize why this was a stupidly negative comment that makes you very badly hypocritical if you uphold it.

I’ll wait.

140. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

If only Michael Pineda won this award instead.

141. Bartolo says:

So sick of the fucking white sox.

142. Athenian says:

Damn. That”ll do it. Hope they can win tomorrow night, other wise different city, same results.

• Get Phelps Up says:

This game is over after 7 innings? These aren’t minor league doubleheaders, you know.

• jjyank says:

I forget which game it was, but it was a couple of months ago. The Yankees were down a couple runs, and he declared the game over in like, the 5th or 6th inning. I responded that they play 9 innings for a reason. And sure enough, the Yankees game back to win in the 8th. So yeah, de ja vu, Athenian. Reserve judgement in a 1 run game until it’s over.

• Athenian says:

you all are funny. I thought it was the 8th inning, Also, i thought today was Thursday, shows how involved I am with the days of the week. But won’t make a difference. 2-3-4 coming up in the 9th, won’t matter. Sox have the Yankees number.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I guarantee they will not win tomorrow night.

• The Real Greg says:

They don’t even play tomorrow, asshole.

Where’s my police when I need them?

• The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

With serial offenders I just wait until the end of the game then ride around and cram them in the backseat against each other.

And yes, that one WAS meant to be sexual.

[Wait a moment. You said literally THE EXACT SAME THING. The only difference was that you remembered that they didn't play tomorrow. Come on Greg, you can't be serious. This is ridiculous.]

143. Mike N says:

How anyone could be complaining about Hughes in this game so far is just beyond any realm of reason.

144. Pat D says:

This is off topic, but would anyone miss Texas if it wasn’t part of the United States?

• jjyank says:

I sure as hell wouldn’t. I hope I don’t offend too many people, but there are times where I think Lincoln would have been better off not fighting the Civil War.

• Pat D says:

The Civil War, you say?

The reason I posted this is because I just saw a story where some judge in Texas said that he’s preparing for civil war if Obama is re-elected.

I’m reminded of the scene in Austin Powers 2 where the president played by Tim Robbins was about to nuke the moon until Charles Napier stopped him by saying, “Are you seriously suggesting we blow up the moon?” To which Robbins just replied, “Would you miss it? Would you?”

Yea, that’s my feelings on Texas.

145. amanda says:

martin swings at ball 4

146. Bartolo says:

Also Gordon Beckham is not this good. Hitting everything on the screws this series

147. Tom says:

This game means nothing… the series was already lost coming into today, so today’s game means nothing.

Just like when you win the first 2 games and the “logic” is well the last game is gravy because they won the series and that’s all that matters.

So everyone CALM DOWN!

#Greg Logic

• The Real Greg says:

well that second comment is what Girardi says all the time. “Win series”

• Tom says:

So this game also means nothing then, since they can’t win the series no matter what?

Last I checked the final standings did not include “series won” and the sequence of wins is irrelevant.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

What Girardi says is either a meaningless phrase that every manager says just to say something that sounds good, or is a way to psychologically motivate players that doesn’t have any basis in reality.

I guarantee you that Girardi still makes an attempt to win the 3rd game of a series even if the first two were both won or lost. In fact, he makes the same attempt on the 3rd game that he makes in every other game, because he knows that every game does in fact count the same.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

No, not exactly. If the Rays had lost, then this game would truly MEAN NOTHING. Since the Rays won, however, this game does in fact count in the standings. But as you note, they already lost the series, so it only counts as half.

Love,
      Greg

148. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Pretty good Phil.
    Runs please.

149. Kramerica Industries says:

Dear God.

150. The Real Greg says:

A magnificent performance by Chris Sale.

151. DERP says:

LOL at anyone caring what Curt Schilling has to say.

152. DERP says:

I for one am shocked that Ichiro struck out three times tonight.

153. Arya says:

This is exactly what is going to happen in October when a pitcher like Sale starts 40% of the games in a 5 game series. You just can’t hit a bunch of HRs off these guys.

154. Widget says:

Brett Myers angers me. The guy should have been locked up and had the key thrown away. Women beaters do not deserve a second chance.

155. Bartolo says:

I wish the most interesting man in the world was in the lineup. Maybe he’d help the yankees score some runs…

156. Rich says:

Another loss in this horrible run. When is it gonna end, when we are 5 back of Tampa. This is unbelievable.

157. The Real Greg says:

A very good outing by Hughes. Just ran against a better pitcher.

158. Kevin G. says:

Hmm seems like Joba lost a bunch of weight

159. The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

It’s always Youkilis, huh?

160. Nice Scheister says:

Hughes looked good. Hopefully he can build the starters momentum moving forward,

161. Nice Scheister says:

That did NOT hit him, I call BS.

162. Bobby Banana says:

Sigh. I’m not feeling this team at all. This offense has been on a downward spiral since 09. Cano and Grandy have been awful since the ASB. I’m not confident about the Yanks chances of making it past the Tigers, White Sox, Texas or any other contender for that matter in the playoffs. The offense and pitching (besides Kuroda) have been frustratingly inconsistent. Holy shit. I’m not worried about our record or place in the standings. I’m just worried about the way we’ve been playing. This team doesn’t look like it could survive in the playoffs.

So?

• The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

See Greg, the other responses to this post were pretty good. This one is why we’re pissed at you.

You know what? Yes, I think winning in the playoffs is significant. I care about that, and if they do not win in the playoffs I will not be happy.

We’re allowed to care about that, Greg.

• Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Greg parents used to argue a lot. He blames himself for their divorce. He can NOT deal with anyone saying anything negative or even a discussion.

• jjyank says:

Were you this worried during their awesome ~.700 ball stretch? Baseball is a streaky game. The Yankees are just as capable as any other to get hot at the right time.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

“This offense has been on a downward spiral since 09. ”

Definitely. They’ve dropped from being the highest scoring offense in baseball to the second highest scoring offense in baseball. When will this spiral end?

• Mike Axisa says:

They’re playing like shit, of course it doesn’t look like they could survive the playoffs.

163. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

These White Sox announcers are awesome. Just speak their minds.

About Valverde:
    “Yeah, I’m not a fan. I don’t really like him.”
    “Well, his teammates seem to like him.”
    “I’m not a teammate of his. I’m not a fan.”

164. Tom says:

By the way, is Robertson in to get some work in?

Hughes was only at 95 or 96 pitches and looked pretty strong.

165. Nice Scheister says:

This game is still winnable, as long as Robertson can do his job! Get em D-Rob!

166. ArchStanton says:

Wow, where was that pitch?

167. The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

Whoa, nice play Robbie!

168. jjyank says:

Very nice DP there, boys.

169. DERP says:

Robertson really scares me.

170. Christopher says:

Okay, now we win this friggn’ game and then go catch a jet.

171. Mike N says:

SCORE RUN(S) NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

172. DERP says:

One time

173. Nice Scheister says:

Okay Ninth inning Franklin Covey

1A. Score a run
    1B Score another run
    1C Score one more run
    2A #Untuck

174. DERP says:

Reed isn’t that good. Just win the game.

175. The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

182. Kramerica Industries says:

That was a strike?

What?

183. Kevin G. says:

WOW, awful call

184. DERP says:

Go to hell ump! Go to hell!

185. Chilango says:

up and away wtf

186. Christopher says:

Damn.

187. Alkaline says:

Gameday has that right on the corner for a strike.

188. The Greg Negativity Police (Formerly Rocky Road Redemption) says:

Fuck, whatever that breaking ball is it’s nasty.

189. Christopher says:

Come on, Eric.

190. Chilango says:

how many Ks tonight 16?

191. Widget says:

nice job Tex. Really nice at bat.

192. Kramerica Industries says:

That terrible call changed the entire AB.

That’s awful.

193. Bartolo says:

bitch ass umpire with the horseshit 2-1 call

194. jjyank says:

Fucking umps. That 2-1 pitch was up and possibly away too.

195. Mike N says:

Please, Chavez!

196. rich says:

0-45 and 2.5 in front by the time we play Cleveland. Unbelievable.

197. Nice Scheister says:

FUCK these umps, putridly disgusting.

198. Kramerica Industries says:

Fuck.

This was a brutal series.

199. Mike N says:

Damn.

Buenos noches, peeps!

200. The Real Greg says:

Bad luck, bad umpiring.

201. Christopher says:

Woah, a sweep, errrggggg…………..^&%$*(&###$(*)!

202. Tom says:

Homeplate ump FTW!

203. JLC 776 says:

When does ARod get back again?

204. Rocky Road Redemption says:

The police is gone, so I could say this:

Fuck man, this fucking sucks. We’re playing like shit.

205. DERP says:

What a fucking awful series. Off day tomorrow will be brutal.

206. Karl Krawfid says:

Team just isn’t clutch.

Tex took that 2-0 fastball that split the plate. That’s the way the team is going right now.

Playing like trash.

207. Widget says:

3 game lead. and 4 game lead over Baltimore. Awesome job all around. The 2011 Red SOx choke has nothing on this awesome Yank choke job we are all watching.

• Get Phelps Up says:

You think the Orioles are going to come back from down 9 runs?

• Get Phelps Up says:

…They didn’t. And losing 5 games or whatever it is to a team playing almost .700 ball over the course of 2 months is in no way comparable to going 7-20 and choking away a 9 game lead in September.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Wow. Not even close.

• rich says:

2.5 by the time we play Friday. This is unbelievable. I can’t believe 4 one run losses against Oakland has put us in this god damn tail spin. I am so upset I don’t even know who to blame but this has been a team wide effort except for Jeter and Kuroda. We would be in second place if it weren’t for those two.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

The Red Sox hold the records for biggest collapse of all time percentage-wise AND biggest collapse of all time going by number of games ahead.

The Yankees weren’t even close in either category.

• Heisenberg's Hat says:

The Yankees aren’t choking. They just had a 5-2 homestand. The Rays are just playing out of their minds right now.

208. your mom says:

Just move on and sweep the Engines.

209. rich says:

We made a team that was horrible against KC look unbeatable. This is shocking how we will lose 8 games in one month. This is similar to Boston last year.

210. tipsie says:

the 2-1 pitch to Tex was a horrible call, changing everything; but he should have swung at & crushed the 2-0 fastball (right down the pipe); this blows

211. Chilango says:

Yanks better figure this out soon.

212. Nice Scheister says:

Gonna vent real quick, Ichrio and Tex must’ve had carnal relations with this terrible umps daughter and or wife, as they each had awful strike zones all night. The Yanks lost, yes, but the umps were the equivalent of Hawk Harrelson in the booth…TERRIBLE. You win some and you lose some but the ump-assisted losses always burn more. That is all, go Yankees!

• Chilango says:

This one’s not on the umps. We had runners on 2d twice with less than two outs. This is what happens when a team that doesn’t hit for avg meets a good pitcher. They lose.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Except for all the times that the Yankees have beaten great pitchers this year.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Do teams that hit for avg not lose to good pitchers?

(Yankees are 4th in AL in team AVG, btw)

• rich says:

All in all, I blame Nova and Garcia for this series. We had horrible starting pitcher and Hughes pitched great. Sale is 15-4 for a reason. But they have to get healthy and healthy fast, at least Nova shoulder “injury” is enough for him not to pitch and Girardi has to realize we are in an actual pennant race and stop experimenting. The margin is all but gone.

213. Arya says:

It’s a good thing they’re going to sorry ass Cleveland next, losers of 8 straight. That’s about the only thing that can save them now. You run up against great pitchers like Sale and you’re just not going to hit 4 solo HRs a game. The only hitter worth a darn right now is Jeter. You run into Price, Sale, Verlander 2 times in a 5 game series and you’re looking at another 1st round exit sorry to say.

214. Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Let’s hope for a sweep of the native americans.

215. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Sucks, but I’m still confident about them going forward. Next two games started by CC and Kuroda, and the Rays’ schedule is tougher than the Yanks from now on.

• Chilango says:

It’s hard to imagine success in the playoffs with a shaky rotation and only two players hitting for avg. The Yanks are a creaky old team that has been patched together with a lot of retreads. I would rather have them take a few years to rebuild and do it right. Of course that’s not going to happen. Bu I think it’s worse having them lose in the first round than simply not making it.

• RkyMtnYank says:

Granted this team won’t go too far in the playoffs but not making the playoffs is most definitely better than not!

• RkyMtnYank says:

umm, eliminate a not there :)

• rich says:

I disagree. Every team in the AL has weaknesses, the White Sox are a similar version of the Yankees but with shittier players, the Tigers are too dependent on three players, the Rangers have no starting pitching, the A’s and Rays can’t hit for shit, the Angels are almost out of it and if they are in it, their pitchers (besides Weaver) have no guts. We have many weaknesses but so does anyone else. If our pitching gets it together and once the Rays cool off a little bit, we will be OK. But I admit I am a little panicking.

• Mosh says:

“Rays can’t hit for shit”

The Rays hitting should improve with Longoria back and Scott taking over Pena’s duties. They seem to have been underperforming.

• Chilango says:

Of course I want to see them in the playoffs but NOT at the expense of rebuilding.

• Laz says:

Hughes has a very good outing today against a playoff contender, it’s just the lineup didn’t help him at all.

The Yankees last won in 2009, so they are WAY ahead of other teams in winning world series. Don’t forget there are 30 teams in mlb, you can’t win every year. once every 30 years it would be with even teams.

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

It’s hard to imagine every team having success in the playoffs when they’re in the midst of a losing streak. Look at any other team in the major leagues during one of their losing streaks. They all have them.

Look at Texas in July (9-14 in the month, 5 game losing streak to start it out) and you’ll have a hard time picturing that team having success.

Also, hitting for average is not better than hitting for power. Teams that score a larger % of their runs via the homer perform (a little) better in the playoffs than teams that score a smaller % of their runs via the homer.

• Chilango says:

Yes but in general there are fundamental flaws in the rotation, pen (middle relief especially) and lineup. Slump or no slump if you don’t hit WRISP it’s tough to win games. Against good pitching, you’re not going to win with the long ball. Swish (admittedly hot lately), Tex and Granderson strike out way too much; Ichiro is avg, and Martin is shit. Aside from Jeter and Cano (who will start hitting again), that leaves jouneyman fill ins to do the heavy lifting. The Yanks would be better off taking a few years to rebuild IMHO.

• Matt says:

Yes to some extent, but this team is likely into the part of the distribution where they score too many of their runs on the home run, at the expense of other outcomes.

Even in 2009, the offense went dead in the playoffs outside of a few guys. The difference was guys like A-Rod picking up those clutch home runs to bail them out. They could have very easily lost that series to the Twins when you consider how close Games 2 and 3 were without some of those guys stepping up.

Many of the teams this year can match the starting pitching that the Yankees have at the top of their rotation. The difference will be which team is picking up the clutch base hits, and which team’s bullpen can hold the score long enough for their offense to get those hits. The Yankees, unfortunately, are weak in both of those areas, and it shows even in the regular season with their struggles in one-run and close games.

216. edmond says:

Too many escapes, is there any place we enjoy being there? It was escape from Detroit last week. We got swept by the ugliest and dirtiest team in this country! I think on the positive side, kudos for Phil H for doing a great job of pitching! It’s just the offense in a funk!

217. Matt says:

Are we going to keep hearing the excuse that there is a “big division lead?” The division lead is not big anymore, not even close. It’s not just because Tampa is hot. If they played .500 ball instead of .300 ball over that 2 week stretch, they would lead the division by 7 games still.

It’s time for the players and manager to start treating these games seriously. Put your best players on the field, and stop with this matchup nonsense. Chavez needs to be in there against both lefties and righties. Ichiro needs to be on the bench because he can’t hit a lick, and offense is a bigger problem right now than defense. No more nonsense with bringing in Eppley and Rapada for one batter to matchup. Treat these games with some urgency, and maybe the players will follow your lead.

It’s a shame that they are throwing away so much hard work with a few weeks of this type of performance. They don’t seem ready to play until their backs are against the wall, so they better be ready since they have nobody to blame but themselves for being on the verge of that position.

• forensic says:

You want Chavez and his .284 OPS (yes, OPS!) against lefties to start against lefties?

Prior to tonight, Ichiro was hitting .312 with an .817 OPS for the Yankees. It may not last, but he’s not the biggest problem with the offense right now.

Using Eppley and Rapada for one batter is really his only choice because of how they decided to build the bullpen. Using them for more batters would be less of a sense of urgency than their current usage patterns because that would mean he doesn’t care about the likely outcomes.

The thousand platoon offensive players and too many OOGY’s is very frustrating, but there isn’t much they can do about it at this point given how they chose to build the roster.

• Matt says:

Chavez has all of 20 AB’s vs LHP. He has been holding his own against them in the limited AB’s he has had since he has had his hot streak.

If you take out those 2 HR’s that Ichiro hit against Beckett, his OPS drops to .704 with the Yankees. Ichiro’s OBP is just .323 with the Yankees despite a .302 batting average. Russell Martin is hitting .196, yet his OBP is just 20 points lower than Ichiro’s! Ibanez and Jones are much more of a threat at the plate than Ichiro right now, and even though Jones is slumping right now he will at least make a pitcher work. Ichiro has seen just 3.56 P/PA this year, while Jones has seen 4.00 P/PA and Ibanez 3.95 P/PA.

Actually Rapada has no problem facing the average RHH. If you watch him in those limited at bats, his deception applies to both types of hitters. You don’t want to overexpose him, but there is no reason to yank him immediately when a .220 hitter is coming to the plate. And Eppley is garbage against both LHH and RHH. Don’t use him, period. He should be DFA’d right now. Righties hit over .270 against him. Any RHP could do that, and at least do better than .300+ vs LHB.

There is a ton they could do about this roster, it’s just that they have fallen into the usual patterns of assuming players can only fill certain roles, yet not realizing that it is in large part because they never give them a chance to show them otherwise. Posada last year started off in a slump vs LHP, and they never let him hit vs LHP for the rest of the year. It’s no shock that a guy who never bats from one side of the plate will not be very sharp when you do ask him to hit right handed. Logan can clearly get RHB out, but they used him only as a specialist prior to this year and never gave him a chance!

• Matt says:

In fact, Cory Wade would probably be a better option than Eppley at this point. He was burnt out earlier in the year, but he’s had a track record and can give them some more length out of the bullpen. I don’t expect him to necessarily be as good as he was earlier in the year, but if he has improved his control even a bit he can’t be worse than Eppley.

218. stuart a says:

did not see the last 4 innings.. yanks have not comeback in the 9th yet this year….

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT!!These overpriced homerun hitting pieces of s, have not comeback once in the ninth inning in over 45 chances…

THAT IS A JOKE. cano doing zilch, tex doing zilch, the 38 year old SS is carrying this team right now and btw they lost 3 in a row…..

lifeless joke.. there starting catcher is hitting 195……..
    there CF is hitting less then 240 with 160 + K’s…andruw jones is a guess hitter hack, hitting 215…………they are a team of hackers…