Aug

Thursday Night Open Thread

That was a big boy save this afternoon. (REUTERS/Rebecca Cook)

Holy cow, that had to be the most annoying series of the season. The Tigers got every infield single, blooped every double, and were standing in the way of every line drive. They got almost all the breaks and the Yankees still walked away with the split, and they had the tying and go-ahead runs in the scoring position in one of the two losses. It was painful, but all in all it’s tough to be disappointed with the result of these four games considering how they played.

Anyways, here is your open thread for the night. The baseball schedule is light this evening, but MLB Network will broadcast a game and most of you will see the Red Sox at the Indians (Doubront vs. Jimenez). ESPN is also airing a preseason NFL game a little later, so hooray for that. Talk about whatever you like here, the thread is yours.

* * *

Just as reminder, remember to follow us on Twitter at @RiverAveBlues if you don’t already. We often post little tidbits and links there that do not appear on the site, so don’t miss out.

Categories : Open Thread

1. CUYanks says:

Good night to do a little Manny Machado scouting.

2. Cano fan #1 says:

Hi I need some help with my fantasy team I need a closer I already have a some good starter the thing is that someone is offering me this trade I give yu darvish for Jose valverde. What you guys think?

• CUYanks says:

Redraft or keeper league?

• jjyank says:

Trade for Valverde. Then send him to A-ball while secretly inject every single hitter in the league with high grade steroids. Jose Valverde will be forever doomed to blow saves in the low minors.

But seriously. I’d go for it. Darvish hasn’t been very good and Valverde is a closer on a good team and probably won’t be losing his job.

• Bob Buttons the Cat says:

His ERA is strangely high since Jul 1st, and his BABIP is .250 in that span. Looks like a red flag to me.

• jjyank says:

I’m not saying Valverde is great, or even good. But Darvish hasn’t been much better, and sometimes you take a hit in peripherals if you can get the saves in a closer. It all depends on the layout of your team.

• Bob Buttons the Cat says:

My thoughts are that Valverde might blow up any time (somewhat literally) and usually a bad outing by a reliever can be fatal. I’m not against trading for Valverde but he’s a bit risky to give up Darvish for. Right now his value is rather low so he shouldn’t be given up for Carlos Marmol lite.

• Bob Buttons the Cat says:

Valverde is horrible. Look at his WHIP and walk rate. He is pitching badly and it even shows up on his ERA. You should look around for other trades because it might hurt you more than it helps you.

If this is a keeper league (I assume that it’s not), you should never listen to the guy ever again if he suggested it.

• CUYanks says:

Keeper league, you’ve gotta stick it out with Darvish for the upside, but this year (and possibly his career) he might not offer much upside other than k’s and wins with a risky WHIP/ERA. Valverde is pretty much a lock to give you saves because the team is decent and Leyland sticks with his veteran’s to a fault. That being said, if you need saves, perhaps you can get another closer with better ratios, but with less name recognition. Perhaps a Wilhelmsen or Hanrahan or even a Casey Janssen?

• Get Phelps Up says:

I have Wilhelmsen and would highly recommend him. Kenley Jansen’s another one.

• Bob Buttons the Cat says:

I’ve seen Casey Janssen pitch and he’s been performing like this for the past couple of years but because Toronto didn’t see him as a closer type until this year he’s been under the radar.

However given the recent injuries to Toronto hitters Janssen should not be counted on for the near future.

3. Kramerica Industries says:

That was a beautiful comeback, even if I didn’t get to see it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Only listened on radio, and half of it was having the game on in really low volume, with GameDay set on my phone, while supervising staff. We made it through.

I have to watch that Ibanez replay and Girardi toss when I get home. Sounded like total bullshit with the ump calling it foul. We’ll see.

Just win, baby. Onto the next one.

• Kramerica Industries says:

The call was, ultimately, correct.

But the ump, Welke, didn’t signal it was a fair ball immediately, not until the ball had entered foul territory and Ibanez had already turned his back on the umpire to retrieve the ball. I imagine Ibanez played the ball like a fair ball* because he saw it land on the chalk, and he heard the crowd reaction to it being a fair ball. Instincts were why he continued, even though the ump fucked up his part of the deal.

and played it about as poorly as possible, I may add! It’s ok, though, since the Yankees won.

• RetroRob says:

The call was correct and I didn’t think initially that the blown call had any impact on Ibanez, but after watching the replay I’m not sure.

Ibanez clearly knew that the umpire called it initially foul, because as soon as the play ended, Ibanez took a move toward the umpire signaling to him that he called it foul. Girardi then took up the fight. There was one very slight hesitation on the part of Ibanez that might have been caused him to miss the bounce, and then screw up trying to retrieve the ball as he knew the call was reversed.

So, yes, it’s possible the call had an impact on Ibanez. If I had to pick one way or the other I still go by my initial reaction that the umpire’s call did not impact Ibanez, but the replay and Ibanez’s reaction leads me to consider it as a stronger possibility than I originally thought.

Fortunately, it doesn’t matter.

4. Bob Buttons the Cat says:

Jeremy Accardo, potential scrap heap reliever? Haven’t paid much attention to him but he might be an okay insurance as the third Cory Wade type if he’s willing to accept a minor league deal.

5. CUYanks says:

Every Will Smith out is like a gift. So far we have 8 gifts today.

6. DERP says:

Billy Butler is doing gods work today. A single away from the cycle.

7. Brian S. says:

Imagine if the Yankees had traded for Ubaldo last year. Cashman may have been fired by now.

8. Kramerica Industries says:

Wil Nieves hit a home run today.

No, really.

9. Big Member says:

Yankees should play Chavez for as long as he can endure holding a bat. He’s been better than A Rod this year. A Rid should be splitting time at DH and getting starts at 3B when Chavez is falling apart

• CUYanks says:

Chavez has been on a nice streak and has filled in admirably, but his last season finished with an OPS of .700+ was 2007. Let’s not get carried away and start proclaiming him a better option than A Rod.

• RetroRob says:

Right. Credit to Cashman for giving Chavez a shot in 2011 when the general consensus by many was laughter. He was a solid fill-in with big hits last year, and this season he’s playing as well as he has in five years.

But can’t forget the man came to the Yankees to NOT play full time. He knows he can’t hold up. He was the one player who looked the most upset when A-Rod’s hand was broken because he knew he was going to absorb the heavy load. I could almost see it in his eyes, as he wondered himself if he physically was up to it. He told one of the Yankee beat reporters today that he’d play until he breaks. It’s in the back of his mind.

He’s on a hot streak and it came at the right time. Every day that clicks by is another day closer to A-Rod returning.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

If Chavez continues hitting, I’m sure they’ll find a way to get them both in the lineup against RHP (and Chavez will continue to sit vs. LHP). Chavez played against almost all RHP before ARod’s injury anyways.

• Brian S. says:

A-Rod has been killing it at DH this year. I think he should be DH and Chavez the third baseman in the playoffs.

• jjyank says:

Maybe against a righty. But the A-Rod at DH stuff I still brush off as SSS. 26 games at DH? Is that indicative of anything? I don’t know, and frankly neither does anyone. I more concerned about Chavez’s health. I worry that if he keeps playing at this clip, he won’t even be on the playoff roster.

• Brian S. says:

Three lefties in a row against Toronto. He should get at least two days off. Maybe all of them and just pinch hit when need be.

• jjyank says:

Right, but I mean for the next six-7 weeks. The season’s not even over head and he’s already played in more games since 2006. How much longer can we realistically expect him to hold up? Don’t get me wrong, I love Chavez. I just wouldn’t count on him taking the heavy side of the platoon as late as October.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Can he put it down to go to sleep?

10. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Am I alone in rooting for the Orioles?

They are by far the worst team that has a shot of making the playoffs. I’m not taking the Yankees winning the AL East for granted, but the Orioles have very little chance of beating the Yankees for the division (Coolstandings gives it 3%). However, there’s a good chance they’ll scrape out a wild card spot, win a single game, and then face the Yankees in the Division Series.

Isn’t that the best case scenario for the Yankees by a long shot?

• MartinRanger says:

I’ll root for them when the Yanks have a lead of, oh, 8 games or so in the loss column.

• CUYanks says:

Anything can happen in a 5 game series and even if the Orioles win the WC they might not make it out of the 1-game playoff, so with the premium put on winning the division, I think it’s much more in the Yankees’ best interest to have a better shot at the Division than hedging for a better ALDS opponent. If the Yankees clinch the division, then sure, I will be all out rooting for the O’s.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh hell no.

1. College ex was an Orioles fan, which means I spent way too much time making fun of them.

2. Ripken. Hate that fucker.

3. Angelos. ’nuff said.

I like young overachievers. I just don’t like the Baltimore Orioles.

11. Brian S. says:

Triple for Machado.

12. DERP says:

Machado just got a triple. That stupid fuck.

13. Brian S. says:

It’s going to be very interesting to see how the AL East unfolds the next few years with Baltimore and Toronto improving.

• CUYanks says:

I’m honestly not sure they really are improving, with their young pitching failing on all fronts.

• jjyank says:

I think it all depends on Bundy for the O’s. If (and even for a top prospect, a big if) Bundy becomes an ace, I’m sure Baltimore can find a suitable #2 and fill in with back end guys. If Weiters, Jones, Markakis (and maybe even Machado) can carry the offense, they’ll be alright.

That said, I’d worry more about the Jays as far as the future goes. That farm system is stacked. They suck this year in large part because so many pitcher have either had down years or got injured. But I’d take the Jays over the O’s in the future if I had to bet.

• Brian S. says:

Jason Hammel was an ace before he was hurt. That was a damn good trade for them. And Chen has been good this year (not today obviously). I just think Duquette is going to spend more money to improve their team and Toronto has arguably the best farm in baseball.

• CUYanks says:

Yeah, I can’t argue with you that it should be interesting. Somehow, though, year after year both teams’ development has continued to disappoint.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, but Jason Hammel was also not very good at all every single year except 2012. Is that really something you can predict his career with?

14. Brian S. says:

Tie game, bases still juiced for Cleveland. Doubront being taken out. We still remain the only team unable to hit him.

15. Mick taylor says:

These umpires and selig their boss have a bias against the Yankees. Last year inthe playoffs who could forget how the umps gave the series to the tigers by calling balls and strikes the way they did. What welke did today is despicable. And the yanks should fire that idiot John flattery for saying it was his opinion that ibanez was not influenced by the foul call. If ibanez says he was no one can refute that unless theycan readmines.selig does not want the Yankees to win every few years the world series. So he makes rules to target the yanks. Andhe does subtle things to hurt them as well does anyone for ex. Believe cano had tested positive for peds like Ryan Braun the decision would have thrown out as it was for Braun.

• DERP says:

I want to make love to this post.

• TomH says:

This is one conspiracy theory towards which I lean. Selig probably think all these salary rules, draft changes, etc., are “good for baseball” because they “level the playing field” and other trashy cliches. Perhaps he thinks America is just yearning to see play-offs and WSeries with minimized Yankee presence. And that they’ll love tuning in record-breaking numbers to Baltimore vs Minn. or Milwaukee vs Tampa Bay.

In fact, America loves seeing the Yankees in the post-season. Perhaps not every year–but often: just to see them LOSE. Or WIN. It’s been going on since the 1930s.

Envious small timers.

• RetroRob says:

MLB has been making rules to slow the Yankees since the creation of the amateur draft, and for all I know prior to that.

• RI$P FTW says:

Selig hates the Yanks so much he lets them outspend all other teams every single year.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

John Flattery will get you nowhere.

16. DERP says:

Manny Boesch

17. CUYanks says:

Manny Machado with a Chris Stewart-esque infield single.

18. CUYanks says:

Will Smith 7 ip, 2 er. Yes, please.

19. The Real Greg says:

Pedro Ciriaco doesn’t only do it against us. 2-3 with a double tonight.

20. DERP says:

Kyle Roller had two triples in one inning tonight. Also both Austin and Sanchez homered.

21. Get Phelps Up says:

Crawford and Ciriaco putting on a base-running clinic.

22. DERP says:

It blows my mind that the Orioles left field platoon is Lew Ford and Nate McLouth.

23. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Axisa, your Wil Nieves tweet offended me. Prick.