- RHP Dellin Betances was in the Not So Hot section of this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet. He was placed on the DL yesterday with shoulder tendinitis, likely ending his oh so ugly season.
- OF Zoilo Almonte was named to the end-of-season Double-A Eastern League All-Star Team, essentially a recognition that he was one of the three best outfielders in the circuit this summer.
- Apparently I guessed correctly yesterday and 1B Greg Bird will be promoted to Short Season Staten Island once the Rookie Level GCL Yanks season ends tomorrow.
- UTIL Ronnie Mustelier was activated off the Triple-A DL. IF Doug Bernier was placed on the (phantom?) DL to clear a roster spot.
Second, bullet points…
- Triple-A Empire State (win): LF Chris Dickerson had a huge game, picking up four hits including a double. 2B Corban Joseph doubled twice and also homered, plus SS Eduardo Nunez (single, double) and DH Ronnie Mustelier (two singles)each had two hits as well. RHP John Maine allowed two unearned runs in six innings before RHP Ryota Igarashi made things interesting in the ninth. He nailed it down though.
- Double-A Trenton (win): Whole lotta offense in the 12-hit attack, including two knocks apiece from C J.R. Murphy (single, double), 3B David Adams (single, double), and RF Rob Segedin (single, double). 1B Luke Murton had three hits and was a homer short of the cycle. RHP Mikey O’Brien was fantastic, allowing just one hit and zero runs across 6.2 innings. He whiffed five and walked three. RHP Graham Stoneburner cleaned things up with the 2.1 inning save, striking out zero and allowing a run.
- High-A Tampa Game One (win): Big day on offense featured multiple hits from LF Ramon Flores (single, homer), RF Tyler Austin (single, double), C Gary Sanchez (double, triple), 3B Zach Wilson (single, double), and DH Kelvin DeLeon (two singles). CF Slade Heathcott singled and walked. LHP Pedro Feliciano made his latest rehab appearance, and RHP Jose Ramirez followed up by allowing two unearned runs in five innings. Kiley McDaniel was in attendance and said Ramirez was sitting 96-97 and touching 100. Yippee. This was the completion of a game that was suspended due to rain earlier this week, which is why LHP Nik Turley only threw one inning. He pitched the other day, not today.
- High-A Tampa Game Two (loss): CF Ramon Flores had two more hits (both singles) and DH Slade Heathcott chipped in a single and a double. RF Tyler Austin doubled for his only hit. LHP Nik Turley did start this game, allowing four runs in 6.2 innings. He struck out five, walked two, and surrendered two dingers.
- Low-A Charleston (win): RF Rob Refsnyder, CF Ben Gamel, and 1B Saxon Butler all doubled while 2B Ali Castillo went deep. The recently promoted RHP Cesar Vargas allowed two runs in 4.2 innings in his River Dogs debut. RHP John Brebbia threw two perfect frames in relief, RHP Pedro Guerra one.
- Short Season Staten Island (win): 3B Matt Duran’s grand slam highlighted the game, though DH Exicardo Cayones had a pair of knocks as well. CF Ravel Santana singled and got hit by a pitch. LHP Tim Flight started and threw three scoreless, but LHP Dietrich Enns did the heavy lifting with four one-run innings in relief. I suppose it’s worth noting that RHP Craig Hansen pitched for the other team in this game. Yes, that Craig Hansen.
- Rookie GCL Yanks (win): Not a whole lot happened on offense, just extra-base hits by SS Austin Aune (triple), DH Ericson Leonora (double), and 1B Jorge Alcantara (homer). RHP Cory Arbiso (1.1 IP) and RHP Zach Arneson (1 IP) allowed one run in their latest rehab outings while LHP Rony Bautista cleaning things up late by retiring all five men he faced.