Aug

Yanks hold on for much-needed win over Tribe

Source: FanGraphs

For a few innings, this one looked like a repeat of the first two games of the White Sox series. The Yankees scored early and had Indians’ starter Corey Kluber on the ropes — the bases were loaded in both the first and second innings — but failed to tack on and the game remained close right until the bitter end. Thankfully the Indians are not as good as the ChiSox. Let’s recap…

• Back in Action: CC Sabathia missed a touch more than two weeks with elbow stiffness, but he showed no ill-effect with 7.1 dominant innings against his former team. I was curious to see how he would use his breaking ball, particularly how often he’d use it after the elbow problem, but he used it like he normally would and struck out nine. Facing a left-handed heavy lineup surely helped, but Sabathia looked really good. As good as he’s looked all year, I thought. Welcome back, big guy.
  • One-Man Army: The Yankees scored just three runs, and all three crossed the plate thanks to Nick Swisher. He and leadoff man Derek Jeter teamed up for back-to-back doubles in the first for the first run, then he cranked a two-run homer in the seventh to break a one-all tie. Swisher also hit a deep fly ball in the ninth, and he might have had a three-homer night in the Bronx given how deep the double, homer, and fly ball were hit to right. Dude’s been on fire of late, and he really carried the club on Friday.
  • Unnecessarily Interesting: Rafael Soriano has been brilliant as Mariano Rivera‘s fill-in this season, but he made things mighty interesting in the ninth. Two singles and a wild pitch put the tying run in scoring position with no outs, and soon enough the bases were loaded. Soriano wiggled his way out of the jam with a strikeout (Matt LaPorta), a weak pop-up (Ezequiel Carrera), and a grounder to first (Jack Hannahan). It wasn’t quite as awesome as his escape job in Detroit a few weeks ago, but this was darn good. I just hope we see fewer appearances like this going forward.
  • Leftovers: Jeter took a Kluber fastball to the helmet in the second and he was pretty angry about it, maybe angrier than I’ve ever seen him. He remained in the game — never even left his feet — and there is no indication that he was hurt at all … Sabathia retaliated by throwing behind Asdrubal Cabrera in the fourth, literally one pitch before surrendered a solo homer … Robinson Cano (GIDP) and Mark Teixeira (strikeout looking) had some particularly putrid at-bats early in the game with one out and the bases loaded and men on second and third, respectively … Eric Chavez‘s hot streak is officially over, he went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts after a weak showing in Chicago … Jeter and Swisher went a combined 5-for-8 while the rest of the lineup went 4-for-27.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some additional stats, and ESPN the updated standings. The Athletics managed to hold on and beat the Rays, so Tampa is now four back in the loss column. The magic number to clinch the AL East crown is down to 34. The Yankees and Indians will do it again on Saturday, a dreaded weekend night game. Hiroki Kuroda gets the ball against Justin Masterson.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Get Phelps Up says:

Too bad this only counts as half of a win because they didn’t win it Athenian’s way.

2. edmond says:

I am not sure I agree with you that 9th inning was interesting. As a yankee fan, it was downright frightening! Men on 2nd and 3rd and no out, up by 2 runs! Good job Soriano! Thanks to them, they came through, and reading the Redsux are cleaning up everything and everyone. It was a great day to be a yankee fan!

3. Brian S. says:

Did the Dodgers really absorb ALL of the salary???

• Pat D says:

Something I just saw said they’ll take 95%. So it might as well be all.

The Red Sox seem to excel in trades. But they suck in free agency and their draft record/development is spotty.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Developed Youk, Ellsbury, Pedroia, WMB, Lester, Buchholz, Bard. If we did that we’d be ecstatic forever.

I’m pretty sure none of them were top 20 prospects out of 100.

They suck at buying players, but the Yankees can’t brag for being better at development.

• Pat D says:

First of all, I wasn’t comparing their development record to anybody, let alone the Yankees.

WMB hasn’t proven anything yet. Bard’s been screwed up by their insane decision to make him a starter. The others, fine.

But let’s hear it for Kyle Weiland and Nick Hagadone and Jason Place and Lars Anderson and Craig Hansen and Michael Bowden, etc.

Bard is the only guy they’ve drafted since 2006 who has done much of anything for them.

• Kevin says:

they developed Bard…and then destroyed him.

• Brooklyn Ed says:

part of me seriously hopes the Yanks is rewarded the claim of Lester.

• RetroRob says:

Youk was fine. Pedroia excellent. Ellsbury spotty. Lester, Buchholz, Bard? My standards are bit higher than yours for me to be estactic forever with that. And, no, that’s not a knock on the Red Sox. Just perspective.

• Brian S. says:

I’m kind of glad Gonzalez is off the Sox. He’s in the top ten maybe top five first basemen when you include defense, and his contract is a bargain when you compare it to Teix/Fielder/Pujols. But taking Beckett AND Crawford? It pisses me off.

• Laz says:

Ben C really messed up on the Youk trade imo. He is a good player, just needed to get healthy. No need to pay money and give him away.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I hope they never go to the postseason again.

4. forensic says:

Little too much negativity and complaining in there, Mike. You’re going to go on Greg’s Police list, whatever the hell that is.

• Anthony says:

I’m with you on this one. A few people here are going crazy on those that are happy but not satisfied with tonight’s win. I’m happy with the win, but the 3 for 27 Mike cited leaves me wanting more. Its one game, yes, but the offense needs to get it together to stay ahead of Tampa and give the SPs run support.

5. DERP says:

Seattle-Chicago looked like it was an awesome game.

• Kramerica Industries says:

The game had an ending very reminiscent of Gary Sheffield and Bubba Crosby’s collision against the Angels a few postseasons ago.

6. Eddard says:

A win’s a win at this point. We picked up a game vs Tampa and that’s all that matters. The offense always goes through ups and downs throughout the season. It’s the pitching that we need to stay consistent and tonight was a good sign in that regard. Hiroki Cykoda will follow up tomorrow with another quality outing.

7. Jimmy James says:

Axisa cuts and runs like the rest of the message board wankers. Thank Darwin for the blog sheeple that ride his beanbag like it’s the four train.
    Pathetic.
    His twitter account reads like a 96′er that ran out of meds.

8. Deep Thoughts says:

Jeter = ROID RAGE

/Skipped

9. …Mike Trout is slugging over .700(!!!) against off speed pitches. What the fuck? If a 20yr old has a hole in his game it should be an inability to hit off speed.

10. Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

CC being back, and looking as good as ever, makes for a great victory here. Great to gain a game back as well. Nothing else, at least to this guy, mattered other than CC getting it done.

Holy awful game thread. Way too much WTFGreg there, and just too much from some of our more grating posters, non-Greg division. We also had a guy named Gene Okerlund post, with only one 80′s wrestling joke made in response.

As for the Sox/Dodgers, they can take all their money back, try to start over again and then, what, fuck up again? What an utter joke of a franchise. Contract them as a gift to humanity.

• forensic says:

Come on now, tell us how you really feel. Not much in the mood for holding back tonight, huh? :-)

• And where were you during the game thread good sir R-Tils?

• Rich in NJ says:

I see it as the RS lucking out. They can change their crazy clubhouse culture, gain enormous payroll flexibility, and add a few prospects in one ginormous move.

So as a Yankee fan, I freakin’ hate this trade.

• forensic says:

Yeah, I won’t copy and paste my comment from the end of the game thread, but I’ll summarize that none of it seems to make sense for the Dodgers and something seems fishy the way it’s being reported now.

• Dean Winters says:

Fishy in what way?

• forensic says:

Ok, I will copy and paste some of it then.

This is a trade basically erasing a ton of the Red Sox mistakes for no clear reason by the Dodgers. One above average player with disappearing power, a bad starting pitcher with fading velocity, and an outfielder who just had surgery yesterday, all while picking up a boatload of money and still sending prospects.

I just don’t understand at all the Dodgers side of it at all. Not sure if they’re the dumbest front office in the game or if they’re that desperate to make headlines for some reason or what, but I don’t see what they’re getting out of this, if the current reports are accurate.

I know some may disagree, but this just doesn’t seem to be a move that a competent front office would voluntarily make.

• Gonzo says:

Simple explanation. The Dodgers TV deal expires after next season.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

That’s an explanation for why they are willing to spend money, not for why they’d be willing to take 95% of bad contracts AND give up prospects for the privilege of doing so.

• forensic says:

Exactly. The waiver claim on Gonzalez is one thing. He could still be an above average player if he’s just dumped on them.

But claiming Beckett? That’s terrible, despite what the AL to NL change might do. And then consenting to take Crawford, pay all three of their salaries, and giving up 4 prospects plus a sort of MLB player seems like a video game thing with the force trade option turned on.

• Gonzo says:

You paid $2b for a team. Mostly with debt I think, but not sure about that.

You have one of the biggest TV contracts coming up after next season. It’s really the one thing that could make you financially.

You can only raise ticket prices so much from year to year, but after next season you can double/triple/quadruple (who knows) your TV revenue.

The more competitive you are in from here until your negotiation will have a large impact on how much money you can get. These contracts can last 10+ years.

What would you do?

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

The point is it seems like they could have gotten the same players, but either given up nothing in return or taken on less of the contracts. I’m not saying don’t make the deal, I’m saying they likely could have made a much better deal.

• Gonzo says:

It’s August 25. They had a deadline on their waiver claim. If the Sox wouldn’t budge, what would you do?

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

They didn’t just start negotiating. They began negotiating before the waiver claim. The waiver claim came when it did because the deal was pretty much done. Who says the Red Sox wouldn’t budge? Seems like the Dodgers just negotiated terribly.

• Gonzo says:

That’s your point of view that the Sox would budge. Maybe they wouldn’t. Maybe the Sox were perfectly happy with making a similar deal in the offseason, but it meant more to the Dodgers to have 2 of those guys for 2 playoff runs instead of one.

Do you know what the market would be for those guys in the offseason? Would you lose out on this playoff run for a gamble in the offseason considering the stakes?

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

It’s extremely unlikely a similar deal would be available to the Red Sox in the offseason. Why would someone trade for an injured Crawford with a horrible contract when they could just sign free agents instead? Why trade for Beckett when they could sign somebody better at a similar price? Boston can only make this deal because the Dodgers can’t get better players at this point in the season. The fact that Crawford makes no sense for the Dodgers to trade for right now makes me think the Red Sox forced him on the Dodgers in order to agree to trade Gonzales. Which makes it seem like they were desperate to get rid of him and the Dodgers almost certainly could have gotten the Red Sox to pick up more of his contract or take less in return.

• Gonzo says:

Those three players have had at least one 6+ WAR season in both bWAR and fWAR. I’m not saying they will put up those types of numbers again, but the FA market isn’t exactly never ending.

I think you are underestimating the market, but my point still stands about getting value from them for this playoff run and next year’s run.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

That explains Beckett and Gonzales. I understand the timing of those. What I don’t understand is why they’d take Crawford and almost his entire contract and still give up prospects. I understand being willing to give up prospects for Gonzales and Beckett. I’d somewhat understand taking Crawford and 95% of contracts so that they didn’t have to give up prospects. Doing both is just getting hosed.

• Gonzo says:

I think my point is that it was a bad baseball move but the motivation was not rooted in pure baseball motives.

If Allen and Rubby weren’t going to have impact this season or next, they were just collateral damage. They don’t really matter when it comes to the TV contract in this respect.

• Laz says:

Aside from Hamilton (injury risk) and greinke (nuts) there really isn’t any other elite free agents out there. They also want a real 1B and there won’t be any decent ones till at least past 2 offseasons. It’s costly but I think sadly crawford may turn out to be a better value than Hamilton. Agon’s contract is also pretty good compared to alot of other 1B.

• I am so fucking sick of people calling Grienke “nuts” and “crazy” and “fucking batshit” and all this shit. the dude has Social Anxiety Disorder. It’s not like he’s fucking skitzophrenic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.....y_disorder
                      Take some time to read up on it. Could it/has it effect(ed) him? Yeah, however since his days in Kansas City he’s gotten it under control for the most part. Living w/ this disorder isn’t exactly easy, but just dubbing it being “nuts” doesn’t mean he can’t work through it.

• Gonzo says:

He suffered from Social Anxiety Disorder AND Depression in the past. He is most certainly not nuts or anything else derogatory you mentioned nor does he deserve to be called that. Schizophrenics don’t deserve to be called those things either by the way.

However, it is something that should be in the calculus when you are deciding to invest in a player. It just is. How much depends on the team. Just like any other fact about a player.

• So lets get an over the hill pitcher, A guy who is a good hitter but has lost a lot of his power, and a guy who wont swing a bat again in even rehab capasity till next season starts? And pay a shit ton of money for them? That doesn’t make any sense.

• Gonzo says:

Do all three help this year or next in making the playoffs and helping in the playoffs? If the answer is yes, then it doesn’t matter what you think of them.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

It makes some sense to get the players, but not to take over 95% of the salary and give up anything of any value. If the reports are true, the Dodgers are getting hosed on the deal.

• Gonzo says:

Read what I wrote above. From a baseball perspective it’s a horrible deal. From a pure ownership/money perspective, it’s not bad.

• forensic says:

Considering what Beckett has become and what Crawford is/may be, I think the answer to that question is even debatable.

• The only one who I think actually helps them significantly over the next two years is Adrian. I really think Beckett is done, and I don’t see Crawford being great off of TJS and all the time he’s missed and will miss because of it.

• Gonzo says:

Beckett has had a horrible year, but he was a 5.5 bWAR player in 2011. I don’t think the Dodgers think he’s done.

• Get Phelps Up says:

They’d be better off signing Greinke in the offseason than risking Beckett.

• forensic says:

I’ll give you that Beckett has a weird Javy Vazquez-ish every other year thing going, but his velocity is down this year (haven’t looked it up, just going by reports) and his strikeouts are well down. Those hadn’t been the cases in his prior poor years.

• Yeah, but his K% is way down, (22.3% Career, 17.2 this season) HR/9 is up, WHIP is the second highest of his career (2010 career high) second highest LD% of his career (2005 career high), and his tERA, SIERA, and xFIP are all well above their career norms. Finally his Velocity is at a career low, and has been trending down every year since 2007. All of this tells me there is little chance of him bouncing back.

• Gonzo says:

Maybe help this year was more important than going after Greinke. Maybe they didn’t like what they say from Greinke with the Angels. Maybe they still plan on going after Greinke.

Greinke is not the issue.

Sabathia has his velocity down this year too. Beckett had his K rate take a dip in 2006 too. Maybe his back was an issue earlier this year. Maybe they think he’s a perfect change of scenery guy. Point is, Beckett might not be done. I’m sure the Dodgers don’t think so.

• Meh, I can easily see them use this money to overpay (in money and years for some of these guys) for Grienke, Hamilton, Napoli, and Anibal Sanchez/Edwin Jackson. Hamilton will break down in 3 years, Napoli will be good for most of the contract, but probably be given too many years, Grienke will bust, and Sanchez/Jackson will be an average to slightly above average. 4 to 5 years from now, as the Yankees are shedding the weight of the A-Rod, Tex, and CC contracts the Sox will find themselves in the same exact place they are currently.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Ooooh, tell me, what Greg fun/pain did I miss? Would I have wanted to pluck my eyes out?

I’ve got to know this stuff!

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

He was calling for his police all game long.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Perhaps it’s best, in the end, that Greg and I are kept apart.

• forensic says:

I had 2 damn comments in the whole thread at the end of the game and somehow got on his police list. I have no idea what it is, and don’t really care, but I’m just tired of his whole holier than thou schtick that he’s fond of now.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

You’ll get no argument from me.

I’d like to make a formal apology here to express my deep contrition for giving Greg yet another way to piss us off.

That was not my intention but it was something I should have easily realized and for this grievous error I’m sorry.

Rest assured that I will think far more carefully now before I do stupid shit like that when Greg pisses me off.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I find that whole police thing extremely ironic when if you look back at some threads from earlier in the year, he was as much of a gloom bagger and as irrational as the people he’s “calling out” right now if not more so. I remember when he thought that we didn’t gain enough ground in the division and playing dominant baseball during the 10 game win streak.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Ha, I remember that.

I didn’t use to think he’s a troll but I’m starting to get the feeling he’s actually a diabolically clever one.

• I really think you guys get way to worked up by each other. Fucking live and let live man. I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

• forensic says:

I never criticize people for what they post or how they feel/act as fans. To each their own and I call other people out for criticizing them for that.

But getting called out for no reason whatsoever, in whatever way that was, for one post on the whole damn thread, in addition to his usual beyond aggravating forcing of his opinions down everyone’s throat and trying to force everyone to only act as he wants, just pushed me over the edge.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Hakuna Matata.

In all seriousness, you’re right. Most trolls on this site I can ignore easily, but Greg gets under my skin easily. The best thing for me to do at this point is just ignore him I think.

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

I somewhat worry about him. I feel like he “needs” to comment too much on here, like this means much more to him than it does to us.

11. Random late night thought: You know what I miss most about the Steriod Era? Kayak battles in McCovey Cove.

• forensic says:

My late night rant while watching the DVR’d Giants game from tonight. Are football players really too good to work a water bottle themselves? They can tear each other apart, but can’t expend the muscle-use to squeeze a damn water bottle? Are they just too damn dumb to understand the mechanics of it and need someone else pitifully employed in that capacity to do it for them???

/end rant

• Who knows, I remember reading somewhere that Emmit Smith thought every little thing cost him energy and during a game he wanted to conserve as much as possible, and only use it while running. To this end after every time he ran the ball and got tackled he would wait for a teammate to help him up up. Every time. Moral of the story: Football players are prima donnas and wack jobs.

12. RetroRob says:

Ran across this stat on Twitter, but heading into tonight’s game, the Rays pitchers had given up just 67 runs over the past 33 games. That’s the fewest runs allowed over a 33-game stretch by any AL team since the dawn of the DH era in 1973, and indeed is one of the single best runs by a team in the past 90 years.

I guess there are two ways to look at that. If the Rays continue on that pace, then they will eventually overtake the Yankees no matter what the Yankees do. Or their pitchers are on one hot stretch.

It won’t continue.

13. pistol pete says:

Does anybody have any idea just what the fuck the Dodgers are doing. They’re picking up $261m worth of below their contract value players and are giving up good prospects to boot, WTF. If there’s not $75m or so going to LA something is fishy. Beckett stinks right now and is owed $37m over 2 seasons plus the balance of $18m this year. Crawford is owed $100m over 5 years plus the balance of $20m for this year and signed one of the worst contracts in the history of baseball plus he just had Tommy John surgery. Gonzalez is decent but at $21m per year, please. He’s hitting 300 but sluggling less than 500 and has only 15 HR’s. He’s slow and his numbers are already declining. This deal is ridiculous for LA, don’t understand it, makes no fucking sense to take on those bad bad contracts and actually give up prospects. Just don’t get it.

14. New reason I hate the potential LA/Boston trade: Every single thread between now and it officially happening/not happening is going to degenerate into a discussion about the trade.

• forensic says:

Well, at least they only have 48 hours to get it done, which means there should pretty much be resolution sometime on Saturday, and certainly done by Sunday.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Talking about a truly historic trade is surely a crime.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I think he’s just saying that it’ll get annoying eventually.

• I’m already kind of annoyed. It’s been brought up and spoken about in depth in it’s own thread, the game thread, and now the post game thread, and been brought up by multiple different people in the game thread and here, leading to the same conversation being had by different people over and over.

15. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’ll remove myself from the nesting spiral and give my thoughts:

The new Red Sox GM should be put into the HOF for greatest GM of all time. This is probably the single most one-sided trade I’ve ever seen. He has done the impossible.

Conversely, the Dodgers Manager should be released and branded with the Mark of Cain. I figure this way people will give him jobs so he’ll be able to feed his family but he’ll never be at an organization long enough to do real damage.

16. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Why do I feel like Yanks are ready to go on a roll……..

17. Get Phelps Up says:

I love how Beltre’s 3 homer game was the top story on ESPN.com last night and Chris Davis’s 3 homer game isn’t even mentioned ONCE on their front page tonight.

18. Bavarian Yankee says:

I can’t believe that the Dodgers are trading for the worst contracts the Red Sox ever had, take on almost all the salary and even send several prospects to Boston. YIKES.

If this trade really happens then the Red Sox must be the happiest team in all of baseball. They don’t have to pay for their mistakes and can start all over again.

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

They can make new mistakes! They can tell us Middlebrooks and Lavarnway are the future! They can mix and match free agents like an 80′s Yankee team in the off-season!

As long as they don’t sign Swisher, whatever. Having Swisher leave to the Sox may lead me to my own therapy.

I still think they’re not going to be a threat for a bit. I’d also like for them to just drop Lester on our lap in the process.

19. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I’d be interested to hear KLaw’s take on the prospects going to Boston because even with all the financial flexibility the Sux got from this trade, the FA market is pretty weak over the next few years and almost all teams now are signing their young stars to long term deals.

What’s weird for me now is going from despising Beckett, Gonzalez and Crawford to rooting for them to kick some ass to make the Sux look bad.

20. corethree says:

trying to get into my disqus