Sep

Update: Aardsma will join Yankees tomorrow

5:02pm: Aardsma told reporters that he will be activated tomorrow. I’m guessing Justin Thomas will be the 40-man casualty. I suppose there’s a chance the Yankees will add both Aardsma and Brett Gardner on Tuesday, which would be pretty neat.

4:30pm: Right-hander David Aardsma appears set to join the Yankees at some point this series based on his Twitter feed. Last night he said that today would be a “big day,” and then this afternoon he tweeted out a photo of Target Field. No one ever accused me of being smart, but it sure seems like the Yankees will activate him at some point during the next three days. They’ll have to make a 40-man roster move to accommodate him.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. YanksFan says:

If true, my 9 from this morning goes to 11!

2. David says:

Aardsma would be eligible for the playoff roster right? Since he was on the DL on August 31? Or does that rule not apply to the 60 day DL because those players aren’t on the 40 man roster?

Or course the probably don’t want a guy who has barely pitched all season on the playoff roster anyway, just curious.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Probably enough injury exceptions to go around, if needed.

Even what we’ve seen out of Joba comes closer to “best case scenario” with immediate contribution from TJS guys. I am still scarred by Octavio Dotel.

• jjyank says:

He’s eligible, yes. From my understanding, being on the 60 day DL doesn’t “remove” you from the 40 man. Just means you can be replaced. As far as eligibility, union benefits, etc. goes, 60-day DL guys are technically on the 40 man still.

• jjyank says:

That wasn’t entirely clear. Basically what I meant was that you are physically “off” the 40 man roster, but are still treated like you’re on it. Am I making sense? It’s been a long day.

• Greg says:

on Friday when asked if Dickerson was eligible for the post season roster he said yes because you just have to be a part of the organization on aug 31st. And last year Montero played in the playoffs despite not being on the 40 man roster till September first. Also in 2009 Freddy Guzman was in AAA untill mid of september and he was the teams pinch runner during playof
      fs

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

Hopefully he doesn’t need a whole lot of time to get his location back. Welcome aboard.

4. Billy says:

He has worked his tail off and can’t be any worse than Wade. If it’s not Montgomery, then Aardsman it is.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

He can definitely be worse than Wade. Wade has had one bad outing since being called up, and that was only after about a 10-day layoff. Opponents are hitting 167/167/389 off Wade since he was recalled. It’s entirely possible Aardsma can and will be worse than that.

• Laz says:

still 3 earned runs in 5 innings since being recalled.

• RetroRob says:

Yes, Aardsma can totally be worse than Wade. Best to see what he has to offer and his command. I still wouldn’t expect anything from him until next seasson.

Question I have, though, is did the Yankees have to activate him and take him off the 60-man? If his rehab was over I’m guessing he’s have to put taken off the 60-man. If so, might as well activate him.

5. Darren says:

After the 397 updates, I’m glad this guy is actually gonna pitch for us! Hopefully he’s the redheaded Damaso Marte. (Disclaimer: Aardsma actually not a redhead, but has a name like one.)

6. Sweet Dick Willie says:

They’ll have to make a 40-man roster move to accommodate him.

Justin Thomas, come on down!

• Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Ichiro or Ibanez should be DFA’d

- Axisa

• umbrellaman says:

Can’t figure out who the other 40 man roster move will be if they activate Aardsma and Gardner. Justin Thomas will be one move. I can’t say that Wade is obvious for the other, but there don’t seem to be any obvious candidates among the position players. Are any of the other minor leaguers injured?

• Greg says:

cervelli then call up romine 2 be 3rd catcher? or Wade/Mcgeehee?

• Greg says:

ano nope everybody on the 40 man is healthy

• umbrellaman says:

I’m going out on limb and suggest Jones will be DFA. Everyone else has some marginal value that I wouldn’t want to lose right now. With Ichiro heating up, I think Joe has given up on Jones. It really is the right move. The only other good possibility would be to wait to bring Gardner back when Tex is ready, which makes McGehee less necessary.

7. Telapia mother in kaw says:

Welcome, you can stay with me and 20 other families that live with us.

8. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com says:

Since he’s just sitting on the bench as insurance, I’d DFA Cervelli and call up Romine.

9. vicki says:

i just can’t get excited about 2012 david aardsma.

10. Velocitee says:

He followed up his tweet saying he’d be activated tomorrow.

11. Schmod says:

Are jjyank and tilapia lovers?

12. Ichiro says:

You’re dopey, I am the AL Player of the week!

13. tommy cassella says:

if the yanks activate david aardsman. then then should cut justin thomas. he is turning out to be a run machine. last night he did’nt even pitch an inning and he gave up two runs. believe me please, the yanks don’t need bums like him. yeah, he’s a good minor league pitcher, but so was kei igawa.