Oct

ALCS Game Two Thread: Tigers @ Yankees

For the first time since Game Six of the 1981 World Series, the Yankees will play a playoff game today without either Derek Jeter or Mariano Rivera on the active roster. Rivera’s season came to an end due to a knee injury months ago, but Jeter fractured his left ankle just last night and will miss the remainder of the postseason. The Game One loss by itself was demoralizing, but adding the Captain’s injury on top of that pushed yesterday into contention for the worst baseball day ever.

Alas, no one will feel sorry for the Yankees. They lost Game One not because Jeter got hurt, but because the offense again failed to capitalize on numerous opportunities. Jose Valverde’s meltdown spared them the embarrassment of being shutout, though I think getting shut out would have been preferable to everything that happened after the Yankees tied the game. The pitching has been fantastic, the offense not so much. I’ve run out of words to describe them, so I’ll just stick with “maladroit” today. Here are the starting lineups…

Detroit Tigers
CF Austin Jackson
LF Quintin Berry
3B Miguel Cabrera
1B Prince Fielder
DH Delmon Young
LF Andy Dirks
SS Jhonny Peralta
C  Alex Avila
2B Omar Infante

RHP Anibal Sanchez (9-13, 3.86)

New York Yankees
LF Ichiro Suzuki
2B Robinson Cano
1B Mark Teixeira
DH Raul Ibanez
Russell Martin
3B Alex Rodriguez
CF Curtis Granderson
RF Nick Swisher
SS Jayson Nix

RHP Hiroki Kuroda (16-11, 3.32)

It’s beautiful and surprisingly warm in New York today, so it’s a good day for baseball. First pitch is scheduled for 4pm ET and the game will be broadcast on TBS. Try to enjoy.

Ticket Update: If you want to catch any game in this series, either in New York or Detroit, make sure you check out RAB Tickets for some sweet last minute deals.

Categories : Game Threads, Playoffs

553 Comments

1. forensic says:

Hmm, I need someone to go into the 2nd spot to help replace Jeter’s production. I know, I’ll put our worst hitter all postseason there.

- Joe Girardi

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

I think that’s more of an indictment of the rest of the offense than it is Girardi. I have more faith in Robbie waking up and having a monster game than I do the other guys who are slumping.

• SammySosasBleachingCream says:

He doesn’t really have much to work with, though, does he? The entire team should be benched. Two games ago everyone was complaining that Chavez wasn’t getting a chance. Chavy’s what, 0 for 11 this postseason?

• Winter says:

Perhaps he’s hoping that by putting Cano in Jeter’s spot in the lineup, Cano will magically take over Jeter’s role in the lineup.

• Havok9120 says:

Which of the slumping hitters is most likely to wake back up?

Only 4 guys on the entire roster have been hitting in the playoffs. Girardi can’t make a lineup without slumping players.

• Carl LaFong says:

I tried to post this before & screwed it up & now it’s either vanished or ended up in some other thread & I wasn’t even half-done w/it.

I really just don’t understand the logic of Russell Martin hitting fifth. Can someone explain why he’s there? It’s crazy. The entire lineup gets locked up w/him in that spot & I don’t care whether anyone else is hitting or not. Martin should be hitting 8th or 9th w/Nix. Terrible decision by Girardi as the lineup has no chance to gather any momentum or piggyback on each other w/Martin sitting smack dab in the middle of it. Kuroda w/a No-No after five. I like that Girardi tried to hit & run w/Ibanez on first & Martin up in the bottom of the 4th but Martin isn’t even a skilled enough hitter to have put the ball in play. Just ridiculous Girardi placed him there deliberately.

A more preferable & balanced approach:
        1 Ichiro
        2 Swisher
        3 Cano
        4 Teixera
        5 Ibanez
        6 ARod
        7 Granderson
        8 Nix
        9 Martin

2. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

I equate today’s game to Game 2 of the 2009 WS where AJ Burnett pitched the game of his career and then it all went downhill from there. But the point is that it saved the season. Today’s game is a must win to save the season and there’s no other pitcher I’d rather have on the mound than Hiroki Kuroda on short rest.

• DC says:

Eddard says:
      October 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm
      “I’d go Phelps, of course that will be a lot easier to do if the Yanks win today. If the Yanks lose today then there will be more of a push to go Kuroda in Game 2 with Verlander looming in Game 3. I think Kuroda on short rest would be a disaster…”

So, yesterday you thought Kuroda on short rest would be a disaster; now today it’s “there’s no other pitcher I’d rather have on the mound than Hiroki Kuroda on short rest”.

Which is it, Mr Bipolar Express?

3. WHIPunk says:

I don’t think Mike your going to see my response to your “embarassing attendance nugget” you wrote in your “thoughts following game 1 post. I was thoroughly disgusted by it and will repost my comment, you can delete it as quick as you want, but give it a read, it might enlighten you a little bit. Again this is a response from this:

“4. The attendance problems at Yankee Stadium are legit embarrassing and a real problem for the team. There were entire sections of empty seats last night during a playoff game. That should never happen. I fully understand Friday’s mess — the game’s start time did not become official until about 7pm ET on Thursday and people were getting out of work just as the first pitch was thrown — but there was really no explanation for last night. When the Yankees are sending out emails for ticket deals about two hours before the scheduled start time, there’s a problem. This goes beyond pricing people out or losing the atmosphere of the Old Stadium, there’s another disconnect here. Maybe a large portion of bandwagon fans from the late-90s just lost interest. Either way, seeing empty seats for Game One of the ALCS on national television is embarrassing. Even the Rays sell out playoff games for chrissakes.”

And my response which came a lot later in the day, so got lost in the shuffle:

“You can smell the corporate greed in the air when you go to the stadium, shame on you Mike for thinking this has something to do with the “90?s bandwagon fans”. That kind of thinking is probably what the big whigs exec’s are thinking.

I don’t know how much money you make big Mike, but us regular people are hurting out here. If you don’t make a sizeable amount of money, then the long recession we are in should make you more aware of the problem.
    I’d hate to say it but the Mets are king when it comes to pricing, I went to a game (my mother forced me to go with the family) for $20 that INCLUDED a hamburger/soda/fries. We were even below the upper deck, sure the Mets suck, but that’s not the idea, the idea is the Yankees really messed up big time and this is what they get, its truly sickening.
    Half-heartingly I’m glad to see the empty seats, maybe that will be the punch in the face they deserve. Though on second thought, this is the stubborn front office that gave A-Rod that ridiculous deal, so I doubt it.

Would like to add in one more thing, my Uncle is a priest in a very poor area in Queens. He called up both the Yankees & Mets for free tickets for kids that could not possibly afford to go to a game, even in the bleachers. Most of these kids live in small apartments with 12 of their relatives.

Guess who said no and guess who said yes? You’re guess is probably right, the Yankees said no and hung up, the Mets provided them with two games worth of tickets for 10 kids.”

On second thought Mike, maybe you should visit one of those apartments with 12 people crammed in and sleeping on the floor with water bugs the size of your middle finger.
    Then come back and write the same paragraph that you wrote in this thread. If people have the money and refuse to go as you say, I really can’t f’in blame the. The Yankees destroyed the good will with the regular fans who were moat’d and kept away from the rich fan seats akin to South Africa.
    The people who had season tickets that were pushed out of their seats? F it, I don’t blame them either if they would rather watch on TV.
    The jaded middle-class people who see this all going on from far away and would rather watch on TV? You know what? I don’t blame them either, it’s great going to a Yankee game, but this is not Old Yankee Stadium.
    This is a stadium which segregates and has fooled itself on thinking that corporate suites rule all. Well guess what? The fans are FINALLY sticking the middle finger right back at them.”

• WHIPunk says:

Just want to point out this is not supposed to be offensive to you Mike, it’s just an observation and my take on it. Sometimes people don’t know what it means to be in a particular situation, and I just wanted to give my view.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Dude. This was a bit harsh on Mike, don’t ya think? And in general. As for the Mets thing…yes, them sucking has a lot to do with it. Three years ago I was interning in DC (where I currently live), and went to a few Nats games. Yes, the three-years ago Nats, who were horrible. I got tickets in the upper deck for $5 each time. This year I went to a game, those same tickets were $30. Don’t underrate that aspect.

• WHIPunk says:

In response to jjyank, yea it was a bit harsh, but in my opinion it was even more harsh to blatantly come out at the fans like he did. The Yankees as an organization have done plenty to deserve the empty seats, I love the team to death, but Levine and the rest of em’ who decide the stadium policies/prices can rot for all I care.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Really? Mike was just speculating. He said “MAYBE” some of them were 90′s bandwagon fans. And some people might. I would imagine a team like the Yankees has more fair weather/bandwagon fans of any franchise out there. I think you’re the only one who’s reading Mike’s statements as some sort of attack on the fan base.

• WHIPunk says:

Really? Go check the thread, in which the comment comes from, see how many people agree with Mike and then come back to me.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

What does that have to do with anything? People might be agreeing to Mike because that might in fact be part of the puzzle. Come on man. You’re telling me you’ve never run into fair weather bandwagon fans? I know a ton.

• WHIPunk says:

I didn’t mean it like that, I mean’t that people are uni formally against Mike in his sentiment, not that they agree with him. Vastly all the posts in response to his comment are within what I said.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Well I took Mike’s comment as speculating the various reasons why there were empty seats. Then I moved on. Don’t make a mountain out of what is very likely a molehill.

• Carl LaFong says:

Couldn’t agree more. I LOVE the freakin’ NY Yankees, but I hate the suits that run them. I’ll never forgive them for knocking down Yankee Stadium & building that monstrosity in McCombs Dam Park. I always thought Yankee Stadium was the biggest star the Yankees had, bigger than Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mickey, all of them, & it was always a thrill for me to go to the big ballpark in the Bronx (both pre & post rebuild in the ’70′s) despite having seen several hundred games there over the years including a bunch of NY Giant games too.

Now they play in a corporate bandbox that tolerates the little people but caters to the wealthy ones & it disgusts me. They could have & should have renovated the old place & kept us there because it was the greatest home field advantage in MLB. That old place, both pre & post rebuild had so much juice in it. A great place to watch a game, hang w/your friends, schmooze w/whomever was sitting around you. I can’t even afford to get into the new place three quarters of the time even if I wanted to, & it doesn’t even feel like Yankee Stadium to me anymore. Just some TV studio w/stands surrounding a baseball field. I’ll hate them forever for that!

• Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

Well said, sir. They’ve forgotten about the guy busting his ass to put food on the table for his family. They’ve turned those legend seats into Goldman Sachs conventions. I really hope those empty seats embarrass the F.O. and encourage them to lower prices and get rid of some of these clowns like Swisher and Granderson who never do anything in the postseason. At least ARod led us to 1 ring.

• SammySosasBleachingCream says:

You really think bloggers make that much money that they can’t relate to “normal folk?”

• WHIPunk says:

I left a comment in there saying that if he didn’t make that much money he should be able to relate even more.

• Havok9120 says:

The problem with all of this (aside from your general harshness and misplaced attempt at social commentary) is that the seats actually sold according to the attendance numbers. Its embarrassing, yeah, but the team didn’t actually lose any money on it. They sold over 47K seats last night, 49K/night during most of the ALDS, and came 2nd in regular season attendance in both average seats sold and total attendance.

The fact of the matter is that it was a chilly night, the 4th of 5 straight games at the stadium, with a game time that wasn’t fixed until the day before the game. Yes, the prices are high, insanely so for people not already inured to the way things are priced in the urban northeast, but lets not blow this out of proportion or turn it into some kind of class/social conflict.

• WHIPunk says:

What was so misplaced about it? Just because it didn’t fit your opinion on what social commentary should entail, doesn’t mean anything to me.

• WHIPunk says:

Also it is directly tied into the “class/social conflict” that you mention, it represents the greed of the 1%. If you can’t throw one of the most profitable organizations in the country into an argument, then who else?

• Havok9120 says:

Well, its a baseball blog. A rant at the blogger over the quality of life in the New York Metro Area really isn’t on topic.

• WHIPunk says:

Quality of life was only one of the references in my post commenting on Yankee Stadium, so hence it involves baseball.

• WHIPunk says:

In any-case I’m done responding to people who thought I was “out of bounds” here with my comment, just go back to the original thread and look at everyone who commented similar to me. Go Yankees, no hard feelings, just wanted to state an opinion, it ain’t the worst thing in the world.

• Havok9120 says:

That…really isn’t how it works. A post on “the greed of the 1%” doesn’t become a baseball post just because you work the prices at Yankee Stadium into your post. But I’m really not interested in arguing over it.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Oh stop being disingenuous. You’re pretending you can’t figure out how the socioeconomic point is relevant, and you’re lying about not being interested in arguing over it. I mean, you may not be interested in arguing, but you sure are doing plenty of it.

4. Knoxvillain says:

Just got off work. Who did they replace Jeter with on the roster?

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Nunez to the bench, Nix starting.

• Knoxvillain says:

So they didn’t replace him? Just took him out of the lineup? That’s surprising. But not having any other options has a lot to do with it. Wish they would have at least given Dickerson a look.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Unless I’m mistaken, Nunez wasn’t on the roster initially. So they did replace him with Nunez.

• Barrel Roll says:

Me, too – to pinch hit for Swish or Grandy the minute someone got on base in front of them. Even if its the 2nd inning.

5. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

lets roll.

6. therizza says:

Lets hope balls are flying out of the stadium today, for our sake. Realistically thats our only shot at taking this series, the homerun ball.

7. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

someone needs to get ALEX a “C” for his jersey.

8. Barrel Roll says:

Think of this – in 6 games, Cano is 1 out short of making enough outs for a whole game. And if he hit into a DP, then he’s done it.

9. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

TBS just said that IBANEZ deserves a good contract this offseason because he’s similar to Curtis Granderson.

• Knoxvillain says:

I love Ibanez and he has a place on the 2013 Yankees unless he wants to be somewhere else. Granderson is a much better player in the regular season.

But if I had to choose between the two, I’d probably choose Ibanez because he shows up when they need him.

Also, TBS sucks.

10. Even his shit up today, and then give Justin Verlander a good ole’ fashioned Bronx Bombers whooping.

I’m delusional enough to think it’s possible.

11. dkidd says:

we play today, we win today

that’s it?

#ronburgandy

12. RetroRob says:

This guy must be one of you new-wave Yankee fans. A real ledge jumper.

Nah, that’s an insult to him. He has balls.

13. flamingo says:

Oh lord, Ron Darling.

14. dkidd says:

this is the first time since being down 0-2 to the braves in 1996 that i think the yankees have zero chance of winning a playoff series. it’s kind of refreshing

15. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

anyone know if jeter addressed his team? any fired up speeches?

• dkidd says:

he’s probably still trying to talk his way into the line-up

• Havok9120 says:

He’s not there from what LoHud said. :/

• Deep Thoughts says:

Jeter’s never been a talker. You can pretty much guess what he’d say. Same thing as with every other injury this year. “Nobody’s going to feel sorry for us. Someone has to step up. We need to find a way to win, just like we’ve done all year.”

16. Dale Mohorcic says:

I think the appropriate term for this team righ now is the blue ball offense.

17. At least we know Craig Sager is on our side.

18. Hummingbird S. says:

A-Rod still on the lineup..

19. jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Good start for the arm on three days rest. Keep it coming!

20. Bartolo's Colon says:

did jim leyland really say he thought the tigers had no chance of winning the game yesterday after the yanks tied it up?

21. So far, so good for Kuroda.

22. Bartolo's Colon says:

wow nice inning for hirok

23. jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Awesome, HIROK! Step it up offense! Adversity will make a world series trophy even sweeter.

• Alkaline says:

Yeah it will. It’s a make or break moment for the team. I hope they respond appropriately. I think an early jump here will be key.

24. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

i get a good laugh when we are up to bat.

25. dkidd says:

hirok!

let’s score fast and lose the hangover

26. flamingo says:

HIROK.

27. Dale Mohorcic says:

Hope that the jeter injury is some kind of blessing in disguise that forces the rest of the offense to focus.

28. Alkaline says:

Checking in. It’s been a harsh time the past few threads reading through them. Unfortunately the TVs on at the house I’m at have football on, so I have gameday up. Hirok seemed to do a good job there that first inning.

29. Karl Krawfid says:

Jeter out for the season?

Replace him with Ichiro!

Yankee problems.

30. The Guns of Navarone says:

What an absolute morgue.

31. Another miserable AB from Robbie.

32. Bartolo's Colon says:

its official, cano sucks

33. Hummingbird S. says:

Robbie is still garbage, pulling that outside pitch

34. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

well not much has changed with CANO

35. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

our 3/4 combo is better than detroits.

36. TinoBambino24 says:

God Bless Teixeira…

37. flamingo says:

TEX

38. DT says:

Cano sucks. Bench his ass already.

• Magilla Gorilla Mama Called me Roy tho says:

yes, bench Cano, Granderson, Swisher, Rodriguez. Bench Phelps too.

The “all bums benched” team would look like:

C Martin
      1B Tex
      2B Nix
      SS Nunez
      3B Chavez
      LF Ibanez
      LF Gardner
      RF (we got a problem here).

39. miky says:

Could the TBS ass holes be any more anti Yankees. Whenever the Tigers do anything positive the intonation rises and when the Yankess do well it falls to a monotone level. Fucking disgusting.

40. Monterowasnotdinero says:

Feeling like a RISPY start? I can’t take another game like yesterday!

41. What does it say that:

1) Russell Martin is batting #5 in this lineup?

2) Russell Martin is batting ahead of Alex Rodriguez?

42. El Tigre says:

GFY Cano.

“Robinson Cano is now 0-for-his-last-23. That is the longest hitless streak in NYY postseason history.” – Joe Auriemma

43. Alkaline says:

I think Tex is doing nicely this postseason.

44. Karl Krawfid says:

Going for a home run.

Jesus man.

45. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

STOP SWINGING FOR THE FUCKING FENCES.

46. The Guns of Navarone says:

I bet I know how this ends

47. dkidd says:

go to right field, russell

48. RetroRob says:

Tex and Raul continuing to get on base. Now if someone else can just step up.

49. Bartolo's Colon says:

how does martin swing at that first pitch?

50. And then the Cliff Lee play.

Lovely.

51. Cy Pettitte says:

I’m not even surprised by stuff like that anymore.

52. Hummingbird S. says:

yep, they still suck

53. Havok9120 says:

Oh come on. Sigh.

54. flamingo says:

Yup, don’t swing for the fences.

55. Ari says:

Just not meant to be my friends

56. Hummingbird S. says:

sure the fielding was lucky, but that was a weak hit ball of the end of the bat on a slider that wasn’t close… another awful AB with runners on

57. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

SO tired of watching these assholes swing from the heels at pitches in the other batter’s box. The Tigers don’t even need a scouting report. Just throw non-strikes and watch the Yanks go fishing.

58. TinoBambino24 says:

There’s a silver lining to all of this frustration. Don’t be surprised if Cashman and Co. rip apart the roster this winter. I’m enthused and anticipating a lot of pink slips for these hitters; like Swisher, Granderson and dare I say, Rodriguez.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

I’d be intrigued by a shake up, depending on the situation. Don’t see A-Rod going anywhere, though.

• Brooklyn Nets says:

How do you propose we dump A-Rod?

• Havok9120 says:

But, but…..Nick Carfardo says the Dodgers want him!!!

Yeah. ‘Kay.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Heh. Yeah, even if they do, A-Rod will probably block it anyway. I have no idea why the Dodgers would want him. At least Gonzalez is still good, Crawford is still relatively young, and Beckett isn’t as expensive.

• OldYanksFan says:

Yup… reacting like the Red Sox organization is always a good way to go.

59. El Tigre says:

I’m sure some of you were there last night. Attendance was horrible. Just rows and rows of empty seats. We had tickets in section 416 and in the fifth inning we convinced an usher to let us sit in 216. He didn’t even push back. Said go ahead knowing the seats wouldn’t get filled anyway.

How has Yankee management not addressed this issue? It’s pathetic.

60. Chilango says:

Long might tell Russ to shorten up a little with 2 on and 2 out. Cano continues to suck, and we’re right into the LOB/RISPFAIL thing… again.

61. Karl Krawfid says:

Martin would have swung at that

62. dkidd says:

hirok looks sharp

63. Alkaline says:

So what can be reasonably done with the empty seats?

• Brooklyn Nets says:

Lower the prices. Period.

• The Real Greg says:

Mike said that it wasn’t just the prices. I think some of the ugly games against the Orioles have fans thinking that they aren’t going anywhere this year so why bother spending money to go see an ugly game on a team that is probably not going to win it all.

This is the definition of a spoiled fanbase

• Brooklyn Nets says:

It’s the prices. Ticketmaster tickets are beyond expensive right now. Cheap tickets on SH/Ebay but not everyone trusts those websites (i know, you would think they would by now).

It’s prices.

64. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

delmon young looks like he’s 50.

65. The Real Greg says:

Let’s count the injuries for the Yankees this year.

Rivera
    Pineda
    Texiera
    ARod
    Jeter
    Swisher
    Gardner
    Pettitte
    Sabathia

And yet through all of these injuries the Yankees have won 95 games and made it to the championship series.

Perspective, my friends, perspective.

66. Cy Pettitte says:

if Smoltz starts calling Kuroda’s slider a frisbee….

67. jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Shut the fuck up, Smoltz. Stop saying “frisbee”.

68. The same “see it, hit it — screw scouting reports” approach is why Delmon Young sucks.

69. Dom Marchezzuoloronetto says:

i think george steinbrener aka da boss would never have stood for this futial offense display that we are seeing in the 1st round now that we see in this round. george steinbrener aka da boss if he were still runnin things cashman would have been fired and girardi would have been fired too no question about it

• Brooklyn Nets says:

You act like George never dealt with this before. No one was fired. It’s the palyoffs, even George knew players felt the pressure under the bright lights.

No one would be fired if George was here. George probably just sends out a statement or screams at Jeter about his curfew. Bout it.

• Havok9120 says:

Even assuming that that’s what’d happen (it almost certainly wouldn’t), are we really ready to say that that’d be a step in the right direction? Blow up the 95-win team that got crushed with injuries, won the division and the league, and made it to the ALCS? And blow up the front office too?

The Boss’s slash ‘n burn style wasn’t really the most effective way to run a franchise.

70. Chilango says:

Kuroda may get as many K’s as our RISPFAIL count.

71. Winter says:

For those who are interested in the TBS booth’s fascinating conversation regarding “soda” and “pop”

72. Karl Krawfid says:

Our pitching staff is comprised of MEN.

I wish I could say the same about our O.

73. dkidd says:

you know what would be great?

if we didn’t waste yet another strong effort from our starters

74. RetroRob says:

Nice. Yankee starters continue to be great. Hitters, not so much…so far.

75. Anthony says:

Kuroda, what are you doing??? Don’t you know that the better you pitch, the worse the offense does?!?!

76. Brooklyn Nets says:

The only thing more frustrating than the “Blame A-Rod” narrative is the fact that our idiot manager is buying into the narrative. Does he not know that a manager’s inability to block out the media/fan pressure re: A-Rod has resulted in a much-more successful manager being fired (Torre, Joe).

Batting Russell Martin in front of Alex Rodriguez is inexcusable. You just can’t tell me that it’s anything but that. Cano is hitting worse than Alex and you bat him second? Sure, remain objective when it comes to Cano but fall prey to the narrative and drop Alex in the order and, GASP, play Chavez in favor of him in key spots.

• The Real Greg says:

The problem with this IS THAT IS NOBODY ELSE TO PLAY FOR CANO.

• Brooklyn Nets says:

That’s not true.

And if you read my post you would understand that I’m not advocating for replacing Cano or Alex. Joe should have said, F*** the Media/Fans I’m going with Cano because he’s the best 2B in baseball, and i’m sticking with Alex because he’s the best 3B on my roster.

Period.

• flamingo says:

Yeah, I completely agree with this. And I’m not comfortable with A-Rod becoming the team’s scapegoat, as though he’s the only one struggling.

• The Real Greg says:

He looked so helpless against pitchers in that series, that I don’t blame Joe at all.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

I agree generally, but I think the A-Rod thing might have more to do with him not coming back from the hand injury well (still lingering problems, perhaps) than it does Girardi buying into a narrative.

77. plouffe says:

Hey R-Tils , let’s get drunk on your good rum

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

I think this is a different “plouffe”, but +1 anyways. Share the wealth man!

• Alkaline says:

I have to say, I felt like R-tils had some good zingers the past couple days reading through the threads. It makes the short breaks at work enjoyable.

Also, random, but I think it was an Anthony who said he was thinking med school. All I got to say is to keep focused but be prepared for tons of work. More than you can imagine. I work at a medical college. The dedication, intrinsic motivation, and organization needed to succeed is crazy to comprehend.

78. flamingo says:

Wow. Kuroda is sharp.

(Is it really empty there? Doesn’t look it.)

79. RetroRob says:

I have to say. I’m enjoying watching the game with no sound on. Avoiding the nonsense from the TBS crew is welcome. Now I’ll have to do the same from the RAB game-thread losers.

80. Cy Pettitte says:

today is the day A-Rod gets a hit off a righty in the postseason.

81. Barrel Roll says:

Kuroda – you poor SOB. You’re gonna pitch the game of your life and lose. Probably wont even see it coming.

82. Andy says:

Ernie Johnson must love the word nibble…

83. Hummingbird S. says:

A-Rod against a righty should never happen again in this postseason. Unfortunately Girardi is dumb.

84. dkidd says:

guessed wrong

85. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

“you cannot tell me a professional baseball player cannot put the bat on the ball when they want to, I just don’t believe it and I never did.” Suzyn Waldman, good to know that the Yankees aren’t trying to get hits when they strike out.

86. Hummingbird S. says:

Why? Fastball up in the zone, he just takes it.

87. miky says:

I realize what a heartless buch we have here, but imagine how AROD must be feeling!!

88. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

I guess Joe’s gut still has a feeling about Alex.

89. Anthony says:

How many 0-2 counts will Kurtis get himself into

90. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

THE FEEBLE FOUR BITCHES…

91. Alex and Kurtis striking out?

That’s just shocking.

92. Karl Krawfid says:

Keep trying to go yard please!

93. Hummingbird S. says:

Grandy swung at a fastball in the middle of the zone and a hanging breaking ball but couldn’t put them in play.

94. The Real Greg says:

ALL OF YOU SHUT UP.

You’re being totally illogical. Blame the players before the manager. That is the logical way.

And apparently all of you think Eric Chavez is a viable replacement.

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

He is.

• The Real Greg says:

Have you seen him this postseason and for that matter in the last few months. HE’S BEEN AWFUL!

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Chavez is playable against righties, and I have more faith in Chavez to at least put the ball in play than I do for A-Rod at the moment.

• Hummingbird S. says:

2012 OPS against RHP

A-Rod – .717
      Chavez – .908

YOU SHOULD SHUT THE FUCK UP.

• The Real Greg says:

HAVE YOU SEEN CHAVEZ IN THE POSTSEASON AND IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS!

HE”S BEEN AWFUL.

READ YOUR RECENT STATS BEFORE BRINGING THAT CRAP IN HERE.

• The Real Greg says:

0-11 in the postseason is Chavez. Tell me how that’s better.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Lol Greg bringing the heat! I actually am on the fence about this and see the advantages and disadvantages of both…for example: Alex even in his current state has better power than Chavez, but he looks completely over matched against RHP. Chavez on the other hand does have better number this season against RHP than Alex BUT hasn’t hit well since about mid August. It’s really damned if you sit Alex, Damned if you play him.

• The Real Greg says:

Chavez hit .222 in the month of September with 13 K’s.

Hitting .151 since the end of August with 19 K’s in 56 at bats

95. The Guns of Navarone says:

I’m trying to keep perspective, but I’m having a hard time believing what I’m seeing. The Yankees don’t even look like major league hitters right now. I’m seriously disgusted.

96. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Kurtis with the huge swing, as per usual.

97. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

SWISHERRRR WITH A HIT OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG SALUTE THE CROWD THROW HIM A PARADE

98. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

Hey look at that, one of the three stooges didn’t strike out. Keep smiling, Swisher.

99. dkidd says:

turning point of the series!!!!!!!!!!

#graspingatstraws

100. Bartolo's Colon says:

seriously, it is pretty unbelievable how horrible cano, swisher, arod, and grandy are right now.

101. Matt says:

The Baltimore pitchers actually were pitching well enough to induce these kinds of results. The Detroit pitchers have not been.

A-Rod taking a hanging slider on 3-2, Granderson swinging through a hanging changeup on 1-2, these guys simply are not hitting terrible mistake pitches right now.

• Bartolo's Colon says:

this is why i am predicting they will beat up on verlander. it inevitable, right?

• Tom Q says:

It happened often enough during the season: the team looked pathetic against mediocre pitchers, then tattooed the all-star.

102. TinoBambino24 says:

HUSTLE!

103. flamingo says:

A hit?!

104. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

why is swisher wearing a padlock the size of a fist around his neck?

105. Joe F says:

Just got home from Dad’s house. Cowboys game really angered me. If the Yankees fucking lose I’m going to break my television.

• Alkaline says:

How many K’s does Swisher have this postseason? I felt like even though he hasn’t been performing, he’s been making contact at least (compared to A-rod and Grandy).

• Joe F says:

He’s gotten on base more than Grandy I know that. But he’s hitting into double plays. So they all pretty much suck right now.

106. Anthony says:

Why can’t we get men on with less than 2 outs?

107. Bartolo's Colon says:

i hate life right now

108. Was hoping that him mis-reading the ball would, you know, result in a break.

Oh well.

109. Cy Pettitte says:

fucking dingleberry

110. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

Could have used Nixy in the lineup yesterday. Probably would have won if he was.

111. Chilango says:

Joe will bench ARod and Granderson in the 4th game when we’re down 3 games to none.

112. Brooklyn Nets says:

One thing I can’t stand is Cano/Swisher jogging up the line. I grew up watching Derek Jeter hustle on infield fly balls. You run down the god damn line in the playoffs. I know you lazy, entitled princesses don’t like hustling during the regular season and I’ve learned to live with that but in the playoffs??? – HUSTLE DOWN THE F***** LINE

• Alkaline says:

I concur. Although, at least from the perspective of playing and hitting a line drive right at an infielder, the slight hesitation is understandable, IMO. It’s a natural reaction at first, albeit one you try to avoid.

113. CountryClub says:

Late in yesterday’s gm there was a stat that Arod and Granderson had struck out in 21 of 40 at bats. So I believe it’s 23 out of 42 now. And they’re hitting back to back today.

114. Karl Krawfid says:

We need offense from a hopeless team.

We need offense from a hoooooplesss team.

115. Hugh says:

Nearly caught an undeserved break there.

First game I’ve been able to watch. Wow, do ARod and Grandy look lost. And was Swisher lucky there or what?! Didn’t run it out TWICE!

116. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

And this is just like yesterday. If Kuroda makes one mistake, it’s over. It’s too much pressure on these pitchers and the guy is pitching his heart out on 3 days rest. Ain’t no Valverde to bail them out again, either.

117. TomH says:

Is there an English version of “Anibal”? Hannibal?

118. CountryClub says:

This will be my last negative post for the day: swisher, cano, Arod, Martin & Granderson are 16 for 120. Think about that.

119. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

damn that pitch is nasty. it just falls off a cliff

120. Brooklyn Nets says:

I love this man. He’s a hell of a pitcher.

121. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

it doesn’t seem possible that they could sustain this level of non-offense. These are major leaguers! They’re making everybody look like Verlander. Imagine what happens when they face the ACTUAL Verlander.

122. Karl Krawfid says:

Come on score some fucking runs Yankees!

123. CountryClub says:

I’m glad to see Kuroda proving me wrong. How many pitches you think he’s good for?

124. babnik says:

just got in…how’s big-offense looking?

125. flamingo says:

Short rest? HA.

126. Brooklyn Nets says:

Can you lifeless bums be inspired by what this man is doing? He’s striking out the entire ballpark on THREE DAYS REST and the likes of NICK SWISHER can’t hustle down the line on a groundball to second base.

127. RetroRob says:

Clearly starting Hirok on three-days rest was the wrong move.

Hitting, are you there yet?

128. jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Holy crap, Kuroda is freaking dealing.

129. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Kuroda’s dealing like a motherfucker. Let’s reward him with some runs.

130. flamingo says:

Guys, the stadium looks full to me.

131. Lions beat the Eagles.

That will be the only Detroit team to win today.

132. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Wow the dirt ate that shit up.

133. Karl Krawfid says:

1 pitch 1 out.

134. SeligsFault says:

Are people still trying to put all of the blame on AROD? Even though last years game five and last night’s game were basically on Swisher?

135. Brooklyn Nets says:

Can I have old Robinson Cano back? You know, the aggressive, best hitter in baseball who wasn’t trying to pull homers every at-bat? The guy that didn’t watch 2 strikes go by him almost every AB?

136. Not even hustling. Suck harder, Robbie.

• Brooklyn Nets says:

Guy is my favorite player and he’s making it hard for me to root for him going forward. I just can’t stand the lack of hustle.

137. Winter says:

Cano should be hitting that pitch over the shortstop, not to him.

138. Bartolo's Colon says:

i just can’t see cano figuring it out, they will have to attempt to win the series without him

139. Brooklyn Nets says:

Would it kill you to take the ball the other way Mark?

140. Hummingbird S. says:

another weakly hit ball and a stroll down the line for Cano

141. Karl Krawfid says:

Cano doesn’t use his lower half at all.

I suspect K-Long will be gone after this year.

• Martien says:

Hiroki looks great. I’ve long wondered about KLongs position, everybody swears by him (except Jeter), but why does it seem the offense is so streaky?

The Rays went from one year being one of the worst teams in the majors with 2 outs and RISP, to one of the best after they decided to practice those situations more. Are our guys too stubborn and established to take one for the team?

142. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

An entire team of Mr. Mays. And I don’t mean WIllie.

143. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Completely nonbaseball related but I can’t believe people don’t comprehend that physical stores cannot compete with amazon and ebay prices…it boggles my mind when people come to my store and say “oh I can get the same thing on Amazon for much cheaper. No shit, it’s probably used and the person selling it doesn’t have to pay rent for their shop, wages for their employees, all the utilities to keep the shop running, or restocking fees after they sell it.

• RetroRob says:

What do you sell?

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Smoking paraphernalia. Papers, pipes(mostly glass), water pipes, vaporizers, as well as hookahs and hookah tobacco and supplies, also mid to high end cigars.

• RetroRob says:

Ahh, well there is something to be said for buying those type of things in person. Not that I, cough, cough, am an expert at buying those things!

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Why are you coughing, Rob? Take too big a rip there?

• RetroRob says:

In the words of a politician: No comment!

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

It’s cool. I know you’re older than me, but you’re not alone. I had to quit, by my parents are probably around your age, and they both still indulge :P

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

In addition, my dad’s name is Rob. If he wasn’t driving back from Vermont right now, I’d have been curious haha. Not really, but it’s kind of funny.

• RetroRob says:

Son, is that you?

I only have a daughter, so we’re both safe.

I actually gave up whatever regular smoking habits I once had a long time ago when my daughter was born. That said, if I’m away from home with friends who participate, I will join if I’m in the mood.

But from my past, I would prefer to hold said items in my hand before purchase.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I agree with that too. Especially a “water pipe?” I wanna hold that in my hands and see how it feels before I buy it.

• RetroRob says:

I have a funny story related to this topic, but I’m not in the mood for funny stories right now, even though I should be! I’ll save it for a future game thread or the offseason.

Bongs!

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

I work as an optician, story of my life, bud.

144. RetroRob says:

Yankees showed fight that inning. Errr…

145. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Was that 6 pitches?

146. Bartolo's Colon says:

exact same thing as yesterday, put pressure on the pitcher the first two innings, don’t capitalize, then he settles in.

147. flamingo says:

Wake UP, offense.

148. El Tigre says:

Let’s boo ARod but not Cano. Makes perfect sense. (I’m of the opinion no one should be booed. But was sick of everyone around me letting ARod have it last night while Cano and Swisher got a pass)

149. The Real Greg says:

Robinson Cano should be the goat of this postseason, not Alex Rodriguez.

Cano should be in the prime of his career. He should be the main offensive threat, but he has fallen flat on his face.

Forget that big money extension for him.

150. stuart a says:

offense doing it par the course.

who looks worse; cano, arod, grandy, or swisher?????

that is about $70 mill. thrown down the toilet…

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Greg is worse.

• The Real Greg says:

No because Swisher’s gone after this year. Granderson may be gone.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Nah, gotta pick up Grandy’s option. He’s still cost-effective at his current salary. I think they should let him walk after next year though.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Absolutely. I am open to the idea of packaging him in a trade, if another team values him high enough. But either way, the option is getting picked up.

• TomH says:

In this order: (1) Cano, (2) Swisher (3) Rodriguez.

151. Hugh says:

This must be back-breaking for the pitching. To work so hard to get through an inning and then see these limp, limp outs being made (excusing Suzuki).

152. babnik says:

At least the eagles lost – that was positive.

153. Karl Krawfid says:

Watch this video from the 2011 LDS. Look at Cano’s explosive lower half.

154. VT Yankee Fan (I named my son after Andy) says:

Does anyone actually enjoy the in-game interviews?

155. Bartolo's Colon says:

hopefully they talk with fister for the remainder of the game

156. Anthony says:

Amazing how this lineup has really come together as a team … to be absolutely dreadful. What are the chances that this amount of batters all go cold simultaneously? Its mind boggling.

157. The Real Greg says:

I mean, even when they went into offensive slumps in the regular season, they were not this bad.

158. Chilango says:

It’s hard to lose when the team ERA is under 2.50 but the Yankees are finding the way. This is some pitiful shit.

• The Real Greg says:

They haven’t lost. They made it to the LCS because of that pitching. But great pitching can only carry you so far.

159. flamingo says:

Just wow at this pitching performance.

160. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Let’s interview Doug Fister, the luckiest pitcher in postseason history!

“Well anybody could get these guys out, so what I did yesterday was really not that impressive.”

161. stuart a says:

the angle of the arod fandom is he is not as bad as the other guy!!!

cano sucks and your point is????

arod, cano, grandy, and swisher all have been off the board horrible and so??????

• The Real Greg says:

But more should have been expected of Cano than ARod. Arod is 37-38 years old and breaking down physically.

Cano is and should be in the prime of his career.

162. Anthony says:

The starting pitchers should start a riot in the dugout. They have every right to considering how they have been pitching.

163. Even TBS promos are lazy.

Same line used every time they promote of the Big Bang Theory. Try being creative for once.

164. Brooklyn Nets says:

One man offense.

165. jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Voldemort willed that through the infield.

166. Bartolo's Colon says:

absolutely crazy that ibanez is our offensive mvp, by a large margin

167. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

Kuroda and Ibanez are playing their hearts out. Even if Russell gets on here the 3 stooges are up next. Any time they come up at least 2 of them strike out.

168. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

swing for the fences russel

169. The Guns of Navarone says:

The ball left the infield… I’m not sure what to make of that. I have no idea what’s happening right now.

170. Anthony says:

one man army

171. Cy Pettitte says:

ok that was the dumest thing I’ve ever seen

172. The Guns of Navarone says:

Is this team serious?

173. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

well that was that.

174. Was that a hit and run?

WHY?

175. RetroRob says:

He was safe.

176. Brooklyn Nets says:

Say what you want about Alex but he can execute a hit and run. Pathetic Martin.

177. David N says:

I’m sorry, WHY THE HELL ARE WE RUNNING WITH IBANEZ?

Great way to waste precious baserunners.

• Bartolo's Colon says:

it is a crazy play, but the yankees suck right now. need to find a way to score a run . that probably would have been a gidp play

• David N says:

If it’s Ichiro, Nix, Granderson, Cano (i.e. anyone with decent speed), fine. But Ibanez?

• The Real Greg says:

Didn’t Tex have a stolen base a couple of days ago?

• David N says:

Yes, when they weren’t holding him on and he was able to get a running start. If they’re not going to try and stop you running, then by all means try and run.

• SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Hit and run is probably the right move there. Martin just swung through it.

178. Hummingbird S. says:

hit and run with Ibanez? lol Giradi dumbass

179. Chilango says:

WTF was that?

180. Big "Nostradanus" Member says:

hope ichiro is giving Kuroda tips in the dugout right now….this is all in kuroda’s hands

181. Alex Taffet says:

Considering how much trouble the Yankees have been having on offense, I have no problem with the hit and run there.

182. Karl Krawfid says:

Really can’t believe A-Rod is the one who has to suffer when they have guys that have been equally as shitty.

183. Hugh says:

To be honest, Martin is not looking any better than the other no-hopers right now.

184. The Real Greg says:

All of you do not understand classic baseball idioms.

When your team is struggling to hit, you have to take chances on the basepaths. That’s what Tex did in game 5 and what they were trying to do here.

185. The Guns of Navarone says:

Because obviously would have scored and started a rally following a number of clutch hits.

186. Winter says:

That’s on Martin more than Girardi. Calling a hit-and-run with Ibanez is acceptable because he needs to try and get the offense moving. Martin has to make contact with that pitch.

187. Brooklyn Nets says:

That’s a pitch Alex takes to RF when he’s right.

188. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

lol i just cant stop laughing.

189. Big "Nostradanus" Member says:

haha smoltz so dumb….how can you lost an eye by getting hi in it with baseball? its round idiot.

• dave says:

serious? if you do enough damage to where the eye is useless, they could remove it therefore you have lost an eye from a baseball…idiot

190. Duh Innings says:

Here’s why Sabathia MUST start Game 3 of the ALCS:

1. He would start on normal rest for Game 7.

2. He would have to pitch on three days’ rest anyway if he started Game 4 and the series went to seven games as no way anyone else but him is starting Game 7.

3. The Yanks need to get a win on the board if they fall 0-2 or go ahead after splitting with Verlander in Game 3.

4. Ace against ace (Sabathia against Verlander.) Yeah Verlander negates Sabathia but vice versa and I think the Yanks’ bullpen and certainly closer are better than the Tigers’ and despite the recent struggles of the offense, the Yankees offense is overall better than the Tigers. Who do the Tigers have who grabs you besides Cabrera and Fielder? Jackson’s a fine young player but I don’t exactly get nervous when he comes up to the plate.

5. Big deal if the Yanks lose Game 3 with Sabathia and you’re down 1-2. The Tigers still need two more wins. Try to get ‘em after that and bring it to Game 7 so Sabathia can get another crack.

6. Sabathia gets two cracks at Detroit which eliminate him not getting one at all if he has to be removed early due to injury.

• Karl Krawfid says:

WE CAN’T HIT

PITCHING IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

• Winter says:

It really doesn’t matter whether Sabathia pitches Game 3 or Game 4, since he’ll be available to pitch Game 7 right away. Game 4 is guaranteed to happen, so it’s not like there’s a chance Sabathia doesn’t pitch. Game 7, on the other hand, might not happen. So save the short rest start for a game that might not happen and let him start the guaranteed game on regular rest.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Beat me to it. My thoughts exactly.

• Duh Innings says:

Nah fuck that, ace against ace.

Negate their ace.

We have the better closer and bullpen.

Game 3 is guaranteed to happen, too – you need four games to win the ALCS.

I don’t want a possible Sabathia in Game 4 with the Yanks down 1-2 or 0-3, or the possibility of the Yanks getting swept with Sabathia.

He’s on normal rest for Game 7, the game more important than Game 3 which is a must win only if you’re down 0-2 and not even as see the 2004 ALCS.

I want Sabathia to have a chance to help the Yanks go up 2-1 if they win today, not get on the board (1-3) or even it up (2-2) if Sabathia starts Game 4. We can’t assume the Yanks will take the next two games so Sabathia’s in position to help them get to 3-1 with this game and Verlander up next.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

Disagreed with Sabathia. He’s going to make 1 start on 3 days rest, and one on normal either way. Why not let him have the normal rest start for the only game that is (at this point) guaranteed to happen?

• Duh Innings says:

The series is seven games thus you have to play like you’re going to seven games. You cannot assume the series will be only 4, 5, or 6 games.

‘Say Sabathia starts Game 4. What if the Yanks are down 0-3? You’ve rendered your ace useless as the odds are slim you win win the ALCS down 0-3 (considering it’s been done only once in MLB history and I believe twice in American professinal sports history as I think some NHL hockey team blew a 3-0 lead.) If the Yanks are down 1-2, all Sabathia can do is help even it up.

By starting in Game 3, Sabathia has a chance to help the Yanks go ahead 2-1 if they win today or get on the board if they lose.

Also, what if Sabathia had to be removed from the game early due to injury or knockout? Great – now you’ll have to take it to seven games to give him one more crack to help the team win and advance.

The ace needs to pitch twice, that’s it. Ideally you win it in six games so he doesn’t have to pitch Game 7 and he could pitch Games 1, 4, and 7.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

He’d pitch twice in both scenarios, I’m not sure you’re getting that. Why does the order matter? And what if they were down 0-3 in game 4? What if CC did pitch game 3, beat Verlander, and were down 1-2? Either way, the team needs to win 4 games. Not seeing why the order matters. Give CC normal rest so he can be at his best in the only game that he is guaranteed to start. If game 7 is needed, bring him back on short rest.

191. Strike out some more, Alex.

192. Karl Krawfid says:

This is just sad

• The Guns of Navarone says:

It honestly is sad. I’m honestly not having fun watching these games. This team looks defeated and I don’t think it’s an overreaction to say that this series is totally over. I’ve never seen this lineup so completely lost.

193. The Guns of Navarone says:

I’ve honestly never seen anything like this for such an extended period of time.

194. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

I AM NOT IMPRESSED THAT CABRERA SWITCHED POSITIONS.

195. miky says:

Absolutely have to bench him.

196. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

I don’t blame Joe for trying to spark something. The three stooges back to back to back is the worst 6-7-8 in the history of baseball. That trio will set the record for strikeouts in a series. And this is the worst Tigers starter! Just imagine when they face Verlander and Scherzer!

197. Hugh says:

ARod is just an auto-out. This is ridiculous. I know he’s trying so I’m not going to be too hard on him but I really can’t see why Girardi is putting him out there. That was just a terrible, terrible ab.

198. Miked says:

Can we get so excited of these guys back on steroids please

199. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

This team looks like they could get shut out every time.

200. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I got to watch most of the LDS on TV, and I saw Alex get literally blown away by an 85mph fastball by O’Day up in the zone…I’m listening to the radio and using Gameday right now, how does he get around to foul a 94mph pitch up in the zone by Sanchez, but gets blown away by 85 in the same spot 3 days ago?

• Brooklyn Nets says:

O’Day makes plenty of hitters look bad because of the windup. It has nothing to do with velocity. Alex just couldn’t pick up the ball. None of the Yankees hitters could.

The narrative that Alex’s batspeed has disappeared is just that – a narrative. No truth to it at all. He’s just choking. It’s not something foreign to Alex Rodriguez.

201. stuart a says:

arod has struck out over 50% of the time.

the guy has not gotten an rbi in a few weeks.

the guy has hit maybe 20 % of the balls to the outfield.

No reason to boo him, the fans are being unfair becuase cano stinks as bad….

get a clue…

202. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Is that his 12th strikeout? Thanks for going with your gut, Girardi.

203. Anthony says:

Somehow watching gameday over the TV makes this offensive failure a bit more tolerable.

204. JJ says:

It’s truly a shame Francisco Rodriguez already has the nickname, ‘K-Rod’.

205. Bartolo's Colon says:

at this point, i say stick with arod. chavez is not going to do it. it is sad, because he just looks so helpless, but so is half the lineup. at least he’s played a pretty solid 3b

206. TinoBambino24 says:

I’m dreaming of Span next year roaming in Center, A-Rod collecting Yankee paychecks on another team, Granderson striking out at an unprecedented level for some team, and Swisher choking in another uniform.

207. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Actually, Joe sees plenty of number 2 when he looks out there on the field.

208. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

At some point Hiroki will make a mistake and that’ll be the ballgame. Just like it was with Andy last night. It’s too much pressure on these pitchers. I wouldn’t blame either Andy or Hiroki if they want to take the first bus out of here in the offseason.

209. The Real Greg says:

Would everybody stop asking for Eric Chavez at third? Do I have to bring out the stats?

210. TinoBambino24 says:

Verlander = Jesus with a baseball.

211. Nice Scheister says:

They need to stop sucking Verlanders dick and praise the guy on the mound. Fuck. It’s not a foregone conclusion Verlander will win. Shits annoying.

212. Karl Krawfid says:

Cano did something.

Shocked.

213. David N says:

Well, Cano is still good for something.

214. Brooklyn Nets says:

Let’s hope that gets Robinson going.

215. Joe F says:

Cano!

216. Cy Pettitte says:

some play by Robbie. at least unlike Swish he isn’t a total liability in the field as well as the plate.

• Nice Scheister says:

I’m down for the benching of Swisher. Not sure why he keeps getting opportunities with GGBG chopping at the bits to make an impact!

217. Hugh says:

He may be a lazy sod but he has a heck of an arm does Cano.

218. Anon says:

No-hitter through 5? Who woulda thunk

219. RetroRob says:

There is just no way the Yankees are going to get away with a one-year offer of $10M again on Kuroda. His value has gone up substantially after what he’s done in the AL, AL East and so far in the postseason. Teams will pay for that ability.

Which means…

COMPENSATION PICK!

• RetroRob says:

I’d rather have a quality starting pitcher than a supplemental pick who we’ll never see in the Bronx!

• David N says:

They’re the Yankees. They can afford to bring him back.

• RetroRob says:

Of course. And my guess is Kuroda would want to come back to the Bronx, that is unless he still prefers LA. I’m just wondering what the price will be, and if the Yankees will go there.

If he really is only interested in year-to-year, than the Yankees can bring him back. If he wants a three-year deal, then there’s a problem.

220. flamingo says:

Kuroda’s flat-out ridiculous today. Love it. Would be nice if the offense helped him out a little.

221. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

Prediction for next inning-

Granderson- K
    Swisher- Double into the gap, does a barrel roll into 2nd base and gets thrown out
    Nix- Solo HR to LF. Yanks lead 1-0
    Ichiro- K – Corkscrews himself into the ground and comes out in LF for the top of next inning.

222. Anthony says:

If the offense was half as good as they were ending the season we would be well on our way to the WS. Not enough can be said of the performance by the pitching staff this postseason.

223. TinoBambino24 says:

Cano is seeing his lucrative contract going out the window with each passing AB.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

No he’s not. MAYBE he’s seeing a lucrative extension offer go, MAYBE. But he’s still the best 2B in the game, and he’s still going to get paid like it.

• TinoBambino24 says:

I agree with being the best 2B in the game, however, when the negotiating window opens, Cashman will throw him that bit of information about his postseason woes. Cashman is brutally honest- ask Jeter.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

I’m sure he will, but that won’t change what Cano gets paid. He’s going to get that monster contract. Just may not be from the Yankees, if Cashman plays hardball with this not-so-lovely small sample size.

224. JJ says:

This is definitely the best pitching we’ve had in the playoffs for quite some time …. hope it doesn’t go to waste.

225. Duh Innings says:

If the Yanks somehow pull this series out, I would strongly consider leaving A-Rod off the World Series roster, no joke.

Chavez couldn’t possibly do as bad with the bat as A-Rod and if he did, at least the Yanks would have better defense at 3B. They could replace A-Rod with Dickerson, Jones, or an extra pitcher.

Jeter’s injury is a blessing in disguise for A-Rod because it probably keeps A-Rod on the World Series roster.

Ya ask me I think all the pinch-hitting for A-Rod and benching him is a precursor to the Yanks trading him in the offseason as I just don’t see him being a Yankee after being humiliated like this, and you can’t tell me he hasn’t been humilated, unintentionally or intentionally as maybe these moves are from up on high ie Cashman and Levine who have every right to tell Girardi what to do with A-Rod and what’s Girardi gonna do, say no? He could disagree to whatever degree but he can’t refuse an order. I wouldn’t be surprised if the higher ups pulled a Boston Red Sox with A-Rod ie tell Girardi where and when to bat A-Rod like the Sox tell their managers. The whole baseball world has witnessed it’s most expensive player, one with the biggest contract in professional sports history twice (previous record contract and his current one – unless David Beckham has the biggest?), being pinch-hit for and benched despite a lesser player like Swisher being a bigger bum (and much, much bigger postseason bum) than him.

• Brooklyn Nets says:

I stopped reading at “strongly consider leaving A-Rod off the World Series roster”.

Yankee fans need to lay-off Alex Rodriguez. YOu want to leave Alex off? Leave Cano off. Leave Granderson off. Leave Swisher off. Leave Martin off. Leave the entire team in NY and just carry 24 pitchers and Raul Ibanez.

• Duh Innings says:

Nah, you kept reading hahaha.

Why shouldn’t A-Rod be kept off the postseason roster?

Chavez is a better defensive 3B than A-Rod. The guy is better than A-Rod even more with a solo shot or one two-run hit. Ibanez is the better DH for the home games in the World Series if the Yanks make it to the World Series. We’re guaranteed an upgrade at defense and DH by leaving A-Rod off the roster, and that defense includes Dickerson or Jones, and who’s to say Jones doesn’t have one more homerun in him and what better time to slam one than in the World Series?

A-Rod’s an emotional wreck. I mean, I’m not looking at him as purely a baseball player and stats. The guy is lost beyond the game. He needs to be on another team next year for his own sake as well as the Yanks if not more.

• DC says:

Been hitting the bottle early?

226. Chilango says:

Verlander is 1-1 this year with an ERA of 3.10 and BA against .294

227. The Guns of Navarone says:

ALRIGHT CURTISSSSSS!!!

228. Karl Krawfid says:

Come on he’s pitching you away.

Just go the other way.

229. Bartolo's Colon says:

please play gardner for either swish or grandy. offense can’t be any worse, almost has to be better and defense is significantly better

230. miky says:

The Grandyman can’t

231. RetroRob says:

Yankees starting pitchers this postseason have an ERA of 1.98. I might be off by a fraction there.

Yet TBS yesterday was constantly amazed the Yankees had somehow made it to the ALCS with their hitting problems, ignoring the other half of the equation.

232. Karl Krawfid says:

That’s what happens when you try to hook everything you piece of fucking trash.

233. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

lol Swish. Just sit down.

234. The Guns of Navarone says:

You could strike out Granderson in slow pitch softball right now

235. Chilango says:

Off speed = no hits.

236. yo says:

Who wants to bet Kuroda is perfect through 9 IP but its still 0-0

237. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

Moe = swisher
    Curly = AROD
    Larry= Granderson

238. Bartolo's Colon says:

swish is the absolute worst

239. Joe says:

I wish George was alive. Cespedes would be in RF, shitty swisher would be playing golf and smiling like a clown cause his season would be over by now, arod would be bought out and even though it would suck we would have traded all our prospects for Headley.

240. miky says:

How bad can it get??

241. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

All of the 3 stooges struck out this time! LOL! Worst 6-7-8 in MLB history.

242. TinoBambino24 says:

Ding dong.

Who is it?

Another limp-dick Yankee inning.

243. Nice Scheister says:

Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive. Stay positive.

Fuck you Swisher.

244. babnik says:

Come lets put our heads together here and stay positive. What do we have so far? I’ll start:
    1) Kuroda is good at pitching
    2) Ichiro can hit a baseball
    3) Fill-in
    4) Fill-in

245. Winter says:

What do you want to bet that the Yankees offense finally comes alive tomorrow against Verlander of all people, only to have their pitching return to earth and they lose anyway.

• Bartolo's Colon says:

the yankees offense will probably come alive at comerica tomorrow. unfortunately it will be during batting practice on an off day

246. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Even Smoltz doesn’t think Sanchez is throwing great pitches. That tells you something.

• flamingo says:

Smoltz isn’t capable of complimenting the Yankees, though. He’d love to call them overmatched.

247. El Tigre says:

Do you guys see what I see? Millions of dollars flying out of Swisher’s pants everytime he shits himself. Guy doesn’t even deserve to wear a f’ing MLB uniform.

• Bartolo's Colon says:

he should be fine as long as his team has no chance of getting to the postseason. maybe he is a perfect fit for boston?

248. This is the 3rd time in four games that the Yankees have 0 runs after five innings.

This is the sixth straight game they have 0-1 runs after five innings.

249. JJ says:

I honestly don’t understand how the 3 stooges can be THIS bad.

250. Matt says:

They almost never get a fastball when ahead in the count. You think some of these idiots would stop sitting on it every fucking pitch?

251. Leg-End says:

Well atleast Nix got the ball in play, Swisher couldn’t hit it with a paddle.

252. flamingo says:

Ugh.

Who’s available out the the Detroit bullpen today?

• Havok9120 says:

I would assume most everyone. They got that off day plus two Verlander starts in the DS.

• flamingo says:

That’s what I’d think… only Girardi pregame made it sound like Soriano/D-Rob wouldn’t be available. I was wondering if Leyland made any comments to that effect, too.

• Havok9120 says:

Soriano-Roberston’s workload really has been over the top over the last month. That’s why, while I would’ve liked to see DRob pitch to Cabrera-Fielder, I wasn’t as stunned as everyone else. Between the stretch run and the playoff schedule (even with the CC starts), those guys have racked up a lot of work in the last month.

253. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

What’s the record for strikeouts in a postseason series for a trio of hitters? I’m sure ARod, Granderson and Swisher are already halfway there and Joe stacked them up again. Poor Andy, poor Hiroki. Be free and go someplace where the team gives a damn.

254. Winter says:

I’ve come to the conclusion that Raul Ibanez stole his teammates’ talent a la Space Jam.

255. The Guns of Navarone says:

Now it’s only a matter of time until Kuroda makes a mistake and gives up the lead. I expect this team to lose. It really is sad and a shame.

256. David N says:

Damn.

257. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

There’s over 1100 home runs between ARod, Grandy and Swisher. Yet it feels like they’ve already struck out 1100 times this postseason.

258. El Tigre says:

It’s a shame for the pitchers. The offense doesn’t deserve any pity or sympathy. They’re garbage (Jeter, Ichior and Ibanez excluded).

259. Sonny Smith says:

How about some good at bats…. Can we get ahead in the count?

260. Karl Krawfid says:

The start of the end right here.

261. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

If I’m Kuroda I’m on the first bus out of here after this start. I don’t think it will get back around to him this series if they lose today. And they will lose today if Kuroda makes one mistake.

262. El Tigre says:

“The ugly numbers keep mounting: Cano, Rodriguez, Swisher, Granderson, Chavez now 11-for-112 with 42 strikeouts in postseason.” – Buster Olney

• The Real Greg says:

So that’s 2 3rd basemen, 2 outfielders, and a second basemen.

Combine that with Jeter being gone.

No chance

263. Cy Pettitte says:

ugh that’s an easy DP.

264. Karl Krawfid says:

Our pitchers NEVER check the defense do they?

265. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Kuroda can’t stem the tide forever.

266. Luke says:

Shame! Guys are looking silly at the plate…

267. Chilango says:

Here it comes…the only Detroit runner to reach will come around to score.

268. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

DP would have been nice.

269. Winter says:

How long can Hiroki last on short rest?

• TomH says:

Probably not much longer, and so Girardi ought to have his follow-on plans in mind. I guess it would be demoralizing to get someone up, but if the situation looks troublesome there should be no wasting of time.

270. Widget says:

For the first time in awhile the Yankees have a legitimately elite starting pitching in the playoffs. Any team would will for the numbers they are putting up. Shame offense is going to waste this golden opportunity.

271. Kuroda: 14.1 IP, 2 ER.

He’s gotten one run of support in those 14.1 innings.

272. The Guns of Navarone says:

And now the offense will AWAKEN

273. TampaYankee says:

The Yankees are making me too angry. I’m watching the Giants game and keeping track of the Yankees game online. Not having to watch them strikeout every other at bat is much less aggravating. If something appears to be brewing, I’ll take a peak. But otherwise it’s just pissing me off.

274. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

Next inning is the best chance to score. If they’re going to do it it’ll probably have to be in the first 4 hitters. 5-8 are both a black hole and a worm hole combined into nothingness.

275. Leg-End says:

I’m gonna start drinking Harry Doyle style very soon if this carries on.

276. Big "Nostradanus" Member says:

cmon ichiro…do it for hiroki!

277. Hummingbird S. says:

this would be a great inning to score 2 and steal this game

278. RetroRob says:

Perhaps the break that’s needed.

There has to be a volcano getting to erupt here soon.

279. Moo Shu Pork (Currently Eddard) says:

Ok, lead off man on. This is your best shot to get 1 run. Best shot right here. You get down to 5-8 and you’ll get 3 ks and a pop up.

280. Bartolo's Colon says:

nothing i hated more than those types of hits when ichiro was a mariner.

281. Winter says:

Runner in motion?

282. Havok9120 says:

Another break!! We’re gonna bust a move here.

283. Hummingbird S. says:

if Ichiro doesn’t run, this will be a DP

284. Karl Krawfid says:

Does K-Long watch video?

285. Winter says:

Are they pitching Cano inside now? I thought it was all away, away, away.

286. Chilango says:

Send him BEFORE Robbie rolls into the DP

287. Robbie continues to not even hustle.

Suck harder, lazy asshole.

288. RetroRob says:

Okay. Steal third now.

289. yo says:

Run and you beat that out

290. Joe F says:

Can we hit now?

291. Alex Taffet says:

Ichiro had that base stolen by miles

292. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

why doesnt ROBBIE FUCKING HUSTLE… put some pressure on the D

293. Hummingbird S. says:

Cano is garbage

294. Nice Scheister says:

RUM FASTER CANO!

• Nice Scheister says:

Run*, period. Trying to type and feed an infant at the same time. More than half the “Bombers” are doing.

295. The Guns of Navarone says:

HUSTLE DOWN THE FUCKING LINE CANO!! FUCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

296. Alkaline says:

Let’s go. Gotta take advantage of the leadoff runner on.

297. flamingo says:

Why couldn’t Robbie run there?

298. Winter says:

Enough about people saying Robbie doesn’t hustle. Has it ever occurred to you that he might just be flat-out SLOW?

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Don’t be thick.

• Matt says:

Cano is not slow. If he were slow, then how would he be able to cover so much ground on pop ups and ground balls up the middle, on which he has to range very far from his position?

His speed is at least average. He just doesn’t hustle. Stop with the excuses.

299. DT says:

Go away Cano

300. Matt says:

Let Ichiro steal the base. That pitch wasn’t even close to a strike. Cano should not be batting 2nd, period. Girardi needs to stop with his lineup nonsense.

• The Real Greg says:

If everyone sucks, the lineup doesn’t matter.

• jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

It’s definitely not ideal, but who else bats second? I’m not being snarky, promise. Legitimate question. I don’t know who should be there.

301. jjyank (HIROK Them Like a Hurricane) says:

M’Kay. Guess we’re hoping for a wild pitch here? Heh.

302. Bartolo's Colon says:

raul is our only chance here. this team blows

303. Havok9120 says:

Son of a crap. All the backhand plays.

304. Jedile says:

Ichiro needs to steal home!

305. SammySosasBleachingCream says:

Swinging at everything is such a great approach for Robbie.

306. oldmanalex defacto team captain says:

martins just gonna K. thats what happens when you bat him ahead of alex.

307. Hummingbird S. says:

Martin hitting 5th, rally over lol

308. Chilango says:

They won’t deal with …Ibañez…but the moneymen are 0-6 with 4 K’s hahahaha

309. Joe says:

Very smart by leiland. Walk martin 2.

310. Big "Nostradanus" Member says:

wow these arent detroid tigers i know…they are detroid pussies. hope we retaliate by plunking fielder next inning

311. Cy Pettitte says:

wild pitch please

312. Joe F says:

We don’t score because we’re too patient.

313. The Guns of Navarone says:

I wonder what happens

314. Havok9120 says:

We’ve had so, so, so many 0-2 counts on called strikes.

315. Bartolo's Colon says:

this is a choke job of epic proportions

316. Alkaline says:

Random questions. Is there a way to have the comment section to automatically refresh?

317. The Real Greg says:

No breaks at all.

• Matt says:

They got a break. It was the error by Sanchez. Then they proceeded to have 3 of the worst at bats you will ever see to strand him. That’s not bad luck. Stop with the nonsense.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

You may not remember why Ichiro was on in the first place. Maybe they don’t need a break. Maybe they need to hit the baseball. That would be something.

• Hummingbird S. says:

it’s bad luck that Martin has hit the same slider out of the strikezone weakly at least twice in this game with runners on. You are clueless.

318. Matt says:

Every AB worse than the last. This is not bad luck. This terrible approach and a lack of focus.

319. Hummingbird S. says:

fuck this team and their overpaid chokers

320. 20 runs in 68.3 innings this postseason.

Abominable.

321. Effthisnoise says:

This team is so lost

322. The Real Greg says:

Jhonny Peralta becomes Ozzie Smith when facing the Yankees

323. Havok9120 says:

When did the Tigers acquire a defense?

324. Chilango says:

Jim Leyland has a binder too. It says don’t worry they can’t hit anything offspeed.

325. flamingo says:

Blah.

326. Cy Pettitte says:

Peralta is a shit defensive SS all year and now in the ALCS he’s a gold glover.