Oct

Open Thread: World Series Game Three

(Christian Petersen/Getty)

Frankenstorm is still a few hours away from hitting the Tri-State Area, so take a break from your ark-building to enjoy Game Three of the World Series tonight. The Giants have completed dominated the Tigers so far and lead the best-of-seven series two games to none, but things are now shifting to Detroit for the next two (and possibly three) games. Adding the DH helps the Tigers far more than it helps the Giants, who don’t have an obvious DH candidate on the roster. Almost like not activating Melky Cabrera after his suspension ended wasn’t the smartest move.

Anyway, the game starts at 8pm ET and can be seen on FOX (Vogelsong vs. Sanchez). There’s also college football on, but feel free to talk about any non-politics topic here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. vicki says:

while mike may have meant ark-building there’s often a good deal of arc-building going on around here too. let’s call it wit, not erratum.

i like the giants forgoing melky but do subscribe to the adage that a series doesn’t begin until a team wins on the road. as much as i delight in the pained faces on the tigers’ bench i’d like more baseball, please.

2. Zack says:

Experts patted the Rangers and Tigers on the back so much for beating the Yankees they forget there’s one mroe team these guys have had to face.
    IMO,(especially this year) they let that get to their heads..and they’re being made to pay for it.

3. CANOlli says:

I don’t know Mike, it seems like the Giants could slot Zito into the DH spot and still put up 10 runs

• CANOlli says:

BTW, way to take over MLBTR today, good stuff. Is it really true that the Dodgers are planning to sign every baseball player in the world?

4. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I have more interest in watching reruns of “Here comes Honey Boo Boo” than this world series.

5. Eddard says:

I like the Giants taking a stand and not adding Melky to the playoff roster. He’d only be a distraction and locker room cancer. The Giants are just fine with what they have. Expect more small ball tonight as that’s what wins in these playoff games. Scutaro is due for another big clutch hit. Vogelsong and the Giants will do what was impossible for the Yankees, beat Anibal Sanchez.

6. Robinson Tilapia (never missed an opportunity to namedrop Chuck Cary) says:

Sandy’s a somewhat-confusing storm, but we’ll be ready just in case we lose power. At least, as far as this site goes, more concerned about jjyank, as well as folks here in South Jersey than I would be for myself.

I lived through Andrew, which used to mean bragging rights until Katrina came along.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Man, the only thing I have to compare this to is Floyd, which hit my neighborhood pretty hard. My town is literally right next to the Hackensack River and who ever thought of the power grid for our area thought it would be a great idea to put a power substation in our town, right next to the river, and below sea level. So that means literally every time there is a severe storm like a nor’easter or hurricane-like storm it floods and my entire area is without power for at least a day (if not longer)…That said as much as everybody’s making a gigantic shit fit about this I think it’s going to amount to nothing more than a really long, relatively bad, thunderstorm. Either way I’m probably going to be cut off from technology for at least Monday and Tuesday ( I can already feel withdrawal coming on.)

• flamingo says:

My coworker is from Jamaica, and she keeps telling me to chill out, she’s lived through tons of these storms… but Sandy’s still getting me nervous.

• Robinson Tilapia (never missed an opportunity to namedrop Chuck Cary) says:

I’ve lived through a shitload of them as well. Just think about if your neighborhood tends to flood easily, etc., act accordingly, and stock up on some water and non-perishable food, just in case.

• jjyank says:

I appreciate the concern bro. It’s all good. I’ve dealt with worse. Hell, bring it on. Maybe I won’t have to work on Monday.

• Pat D says:

I’m a bit fortunate being in PA and therefore inland, but I could really do without losing power. We lost power for a period of time in that freak storm last Halloween, but I attributed that to the ice that happened in that storm.

Be safe, everyone.

• jjyank says:

I was in Jersey for that. Lost power for 8 days. Luckily, the local gym let non-members in to take showers and charge our phones. Much of DC and the surrounding areas suffered a similar fate over the summer, though I was lucky there. Maybe the Orioles have some left over horseshoes. I would appreciate more luck.

• Pat D says:

My house had partial power only for about 8-12 hours, so we were quite lucky.

The main reason I need the power to not go out is that my dad decided not to buy bottled water yesterday, and when I went out to 2 different grocery stores today, there was none to be found.

7. Mike Axisa says:

Imagine if Fielder was a Yankee with this postseason he’s had. Disaster.

8. jjyank says:

Okay: Hurricane Sandy Drinking Games. Suggestions?

Every rain drop, you drink!

*dies*

Okay. Every leaf that falls on my lawn?

*dies*

Damn it. Okay. Every time the lady above me yells “ohh lawwwwd”?

*dies*

Fuck it. I give up.

9. Cuso says:

Oh stop being pansies. Boo -hoo hurricane

#Floridian :)

10. RC aka oldmanalex says:

sitting at home on a saturday night…. damn the tigers are garbage.

11. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Am I the only one rooting for a sweep so that the Hot Stove can get started already?

• forensic says:

I’m totally there too. I can’t watch much of this World Series at all because it just brings back the aggravation of how the Yankees didn’t even show up against a vastly inferior team.

12. RC aka oldmanalex says:

according to fox everyone is “some story” or a “great/what a story”. ” this is _____(insert name here)______ what a story he has been, one of the best in baseball. He started off in single A and then progressed to AA/AAA. He is finally in the show, what a story….” STFUUUUUU

13. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’m going to repost this to see responses:

Why not try a rebuilding year for once?

You know what? We ARE too old, we ARE saddled with shitty contracts, and a lot of our best players might be reaching the end of their prime.

Now, when people hear rebuilding they think of the Pirates or the O’s every year but this year. But honestly, we’re the Yankees. If rebuilding goes on too long we sign whoever the fuck we want and go on our merry way.

In the meantime in the two or three years we’re trying out some of the younger guys we just might find a couple of younger gems who we haven’t traded away for once.

I wouldn’t hate that attitude, as frustrating as it would be for awhile.

• jjyank says:

The problem I have with that, is that it isn’t a guarantee. You say we can just sign people and move along, but it’s not that simple. For one, not everyone will sign with the Yankees because we want them to (Cliff Lee comes to mind). Second, if we’re actually rebuilding, and it’s not working, I highly doubt a couple FA signings just fixes it so easily.

If we rebuild, we’re committing to about 3-5 years of fighting for last place. And we’re also committing to a gamble afterwards. We could rebuild and be great 3 years later. Or…we could “rebuild” and still be terrible 3 years later.

Fuck that gamble. Re-tool the best you can, and try to win.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

It’s not a guarantee. But then, it’s not a guarantee that we’ll be good next year anyway. And yeah, a couple of free agent signings won’t fix everything in a year. But we can fix ourselves a hell of a lot faster than other teams can.

I wouldn’t be totally against just cutting the big contracts and seeing which of the home-grown guys really pan out for a few years.

• Pat D says:

I wouldn’t mind rebuilding either, but there’s really nothing they can do to “rebuild.” All of those shitty contracts can’t really be traded without absorbing most of them and/or getting not much in return. So I don’t think it’s a feasible option.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Hmmm, possibly. But once they’re gone we can try really focusing on youth-real youth, not 28-30 year olds.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I want the Yankees to “rebuild” the way they did from 2008-2009. It doesn’t even need to be as big as it was then either. The Yankees can field a competitive team next year, why shouldn’t they?

• Robinson Tilapia (never missed an opportunity to namedrop Chuck Cary) says:

Exactly.

To answer RRR’s question, though, once you take it apart, no matter how much money you’ve got to spend, there’s zero guarantee you’ll ever put it together the same way.

Besides, is it really smart for business to get rid of the players people have a connection to just to try something new for one season?

• Deep Thoughts says:

Why would you dismantle a division-winning 95-win team? (Answer: You wouldn’t unless you were an idiot.)

If you love youth baseball you can watch SWB games or umpire Little League. Or root for the Marlins. But the objective in the Major Leagues is to win. It is not to roll the dice on AAA starters who may or may not project as everyday when you have players under contract who have done it before, and quite well too.

14. Hall and Nokes says:

Man, I haven’t seen a series play out like this in over a week.

15. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

I need a new phone. Anyone going to talk me out of picking up the Samsung Galaxy S3 ?

• Pat D says:

Yea, fuck Samsung. They always have bugs. My Droid Razr Maxx has been great.

• jjyank says:

Can you be specific? My brother just got the Galaxy and loves it. Is it more of a longevity thing?

• Pat D says:

In my history Samsung phones in general do not have good long term performance. They are all really good at the start and then they tend to die more quickly from usage.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

I think they all have built in obsolescence.

• jjyank says:

How quickly is “quickly”? In my own experience, I have yet to have a single phone in my life that performs well for the duration of my two-year contract. That includes LG, Motorolla (FUCK Motorolla, by the way) and HTC. I am boycotting that shitty ass company known as Motorolla, because every one of their phones I have had shits the bed in less than a year. Is Samsung worse?

• Pat D says:

Samsung phones in my experience would develop issues after 8-12 months on average.

• jjyank says:

But you have a Motorolla phone. And, as I said, I won’t buy any of their garbage. I gave the a third (THIRD!) chance and got fucked out of about $200 to replace it because it died while out of warrantee. So if I don’t get a Samsung, and I refuse to get a Motorolla, what do I get?

• Pat D says:

This is my 4th Motorola phone. The first three all performed very well for me (one was stolen), but bear in mind those were all phone first devices in the pre-Every Phone Is A Smart Phone era.

I hate LG. I only dislike Samsung. I’d consider a Samsung, the GS3 was my second choice, but I preferred the DRM and the guy at the Verizon store said that the GS3 had some signal issues. If you’re not going to go with those, I’d look at HTC. If that’s not good either, maybe consider the iPhone?

• jjyank says:

I would consider an iPhone, but Verizon doesn’t have that at 4G yet. If I’m gonna lock myself in for another 2 years, I want 4G.

I don’t have a real issue with HTC. I’ve actually had pretty decent experiences with LG. Motorolla though…phone #1 died randomly, I called and complained, and get a replacement. Phone #2 froze every 5-10 texts. I had to bring my dad in to yell at the manager to switch my phone out. This was when I was in high school. Phone #3, my most recent phone. Oh, what a dive it took. First it stopped giving me voicemail notifications. Then the speaker shit the bed, so I could only talk on speaker phone. Then it just shut itself off from 3G entirely. No internet, not phone calls. Nothing. And mind you, I take good care of my phone. It’s not like this shit happened after I dropped it 20 feet.

I will never buy another Motorolla phone as long as I live.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Yes please, be specific.

• anon says:

I have the S3 and know a decent number of other people that do, and none of us have had problems.

And it isn’t as if the Droid Razr Maxx is a bug-free phone, just like the S3 isn’t. Just depends on your luck/circumstances on how you use and handle the phone.

• Pat D says:

I’ve had my phone for about 3 months and I haven’t had any issues with it. I also know how to actually maintain it. I’ve always had a better experience with Motorola phones.

Obviously there’s no perfect type of phone, but I’ll take a Motorola over a Samsung any day.

• anon says:

Depends what carrier you are on, but the S3 is a solid phone regardless

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Verizon. I could easily switch though.

• Pat D says:

I’d stay. T-Mobile has no long term future (and I should know), Sprint has forever been and will always be a joke, and AT&T just doesn’t give a shit about their customers.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Have you found a job yet?

• Pat D says:

Nope. I’ve been approved for Trade Act re-training, which hopefully means I can get paid to go back to school and learn something that will eventually get me a better job. I have a meeting with a case manager on Thursday, so I’ll get a better idea of the next step then.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

What are you thinking about studying? Is it something you need a specific degree for?

• Pat D says:

I have to look at some of the programs that are offered. Originally I was going to look at something in the medical field, but they already warned that those programs are virtually impossible to get into.

I was looking at accounting because I took accounting classes and did well when I was at Notre Dame, but that was over a decade ago now. Some of the information they gave showed that accounting jobs pay pretty decently.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Hah, did not know you were a Domer, I’m a BC boy. Accounting jobs do pay pretty well but you probably have to look deeper at starting salaries because those are skewed by the 22 yr old kids graduating from Top programs and going to work for Big firms. But, the accounting degree would give a lot of different opportunities. How long would it take you?

• anon says:

Agree with Pat. Stay with Verizon. I’d go with the S3, the screen is better than the Razr Maxx in my opinion, and has more solid features.

• Pat D says:

I didn’t get much of a chance to see the GS3 before I got laid off. What does it do that’s so great? Bear in mind that I don’t get that playlist transfer thing at all since I don’t think it’s something anyone would use much and how can you transfer a playlist if you don’t have the exact same songs?

• jjyank says:

I dunno, but if they do, I want to hear it. I have an upgrade in January, and have been leaning towards that very phone.

• anon says:

Also depends whether you like to tinker with your phone by rooting/ROMing it. Droid Razr Maxx would not be a good choice for that.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Generally speaking, Motorola has the best radios and is a good choice if strong signal is important to you; and Samsung’s specialty is displays thus a good choice if you plan to watch video or just like eye candy.

I’ve had a Moto Droid and Droid X and now a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The Motos each lasted about 18-24 months with heavy and rough use (no case, moderate dropsies). The SGN eats battery like a mo-fo; otherwise I’m pretty happy with it.

16. Hermodorus says:

You folks that wont watch a yankee-less world series are juvenile, unamerican scum.

17. Hermodorus says:

A man’s character is his daemon.

18. Get Phelps Up says:

The Tigers just look awful.

19. Moonimus says:

Holy cow! The Tigers need to get younger they look very old. They can start by trading Jackson, Fielder and Cabera. Might as well get rid of Avila as well. I mean yeah they got into the playoffs and then the world series but this is an EPIC FAIL. They are so unclutch. Blow it up. BLOW IT UP! And definitely run Dombrowski out of town. He knows nothing about small ball or youth movements. Cabrera is a cancer. Start with him and let the dominoes fall…

20. Pat D says:

Gotta admit, feeling pretty decent right now with Notre Dame about to beat Oklahoma. Mostly because Mark May will have to eat his own shit after he said Oklahoma would score a shitload of points and they were held to 13.

But Penn State shit the bed against Ohio State.

Now the Giants better beat the fucking Cowboys tomorrow (sorry Joe F).

21. JLC 776 says:

But… But… The narrative!!!

22. Duh Innings says:

The Giants are doing a 2012 Tigers ALCS on the Tigers.

Lincecum and Sandoval = Dual 2012 World Series MVP

I have to say this 3-0 series lead the Giants have which should result in a sweep or 4-1 Series victory for the Giants makes me feel a little better about the Yankees offensive flopjob in the ALCS because (this series) shows that the Yankees aren’t the only ones who could be / were shut down almost completely by good pitching. Even the team who shut the Yanks down could fall victim to what they did to the Yanks.

In fact, if the Tigers are swept tomorrow, the Yanks had a better ALCS than the Tigers World Series because at least the Yanks came back in Game 1 of the ALCS and had as much of a chance to win that game as the Tigers with homefield advantage (score a run and the Yanks 5-4.)

No one and I mean NO ONE predicted Verlander would be hammered, Sandoval would hit not one homerun but TWO homeruns off him and THREE in one game, Lincecum would hurl 4 2/3 shutout innings across two games, and the Tigers would be shut out in back to back games and held to just three runs in three games.

MLB is king no matter what anyone says because it’s such an unpredictable, dramatic game.

• Eddard says:

You’re wrong about no one. I predicted the Giants would beat Verlander. I predicted they’d win Game 2 and Game 3. The team that swept the Yankees is now going to be swept by the Giants. That’s a sad state of affairs for the Yankees and the AL as a whole. For over a decade the AL ruled MLB, now it’s the NL that has taken over. Why? Small ball.

• Pat D says:

No, I don’t think that’s it at all.

Just for an example, the Cardinals won the World Series last year due to home runs as much as anything.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Don’t you remember David Freese sprinting around the bases for an infield inside the park homer in the 11th inning if game 6?

• Robinson Tilapia (never missed an opportunity to namedrop Chuck Cary) says:

We’ve got them both in the same place. Quick, someone drop the net.

• Pat D says:

Well, I didn’t hear anyone give Notre Dame a chance against Oklahoma tonight, so it happens in other sports, too.

But I do think most people were giving the Tigers this series, so it’s fun to watch the opposite happen.

• forensic says:

Verlander getting hit wasn’t that big a surprise. He’s kind of got that track record and did not pitch well against the Yankees, they were just that terrible. And the Tigers being in this position also isn’t surprising. They were pretty damn bad in the ALCS too, it’s just that the Yankees did a very good job of out-awfuling them.

• DC says:

Sandoval didn’t hit any homeruns because that can’t happen in the playoffs against good pitching…or maybe that means Verlander isn’t an ace. Hell, I can’t keep up with the nonsense you guys spew out.

23. Elton Cod says:

I can’t wait for all the Yankee offense apologists to use this as an argument for how the team is a-okay — look, Detroit sucks too, so it’s totally okay that we sucked! In so doing they can complete ignore the critical questions like “If Detroit sucks so much, then how did we manage to suck even more?” “Is there perhaps a reason that both Detroit and New York flamed out in the playoffs? Might it have something to do with what they share – slow power-heavy offense and bad defense? Might smallball really win in the playoffs?”.

They will continue to make their atheistic/nihilist statements, ‘Oh, what actually happened didn’t _mean_ anything, you need to look at the “big” picture, stats rule all. Sure, random variation happens, but there is no _reason_ that particular variations happen, they just happen. Things only have a meaning in the “long-term”, two years or more, when the iron fist of statistical prediction always gets it right, vanquishing away the subjectivity of judgments like “Cano obviously doesn’t give a shit about playing better” and “Russell Martin is an idiot for trying to hit a home run there, somebody needs to be fired for this disgrace” and “Joe Girardi’s bullpen management is stupider than a Rob Schneider movie”, replacing said fuzzy un-real subjectivity with the iron objectivity of statistics.

• Eddard says:

They’re covering for a poor Yankee effort in the playoffs. The fact of the matter is that Detroit’s pitching ain’t really that great other than Verlander. At least that’s what they were saying before the ALCS. After the ALCS the narrative changed and you would have thought that they got beat by Johnson and Schilling again.

The Giants pitching is superior, top to bottom. And they haven’t even thrown their ace yet. They have Cy Young Lincecum in the bullpen for crying out loud. Great pitching, situational and clutch hitting is what wins in the playoffs. You don’t see the Giants swinging for the fences with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs. They put the ball in play and get the run home. Their pitching takes care of the rest.

• Mike Axisa says:

You’re right, Blanco really shortened up his swing on his game-winning triple off the wall to the deepest part of the park.

• FIPster Doofus says:

lawl

• Get Phelps Up says:

Such a team player. He wanted to make sure the next batter had a chance to drive him in…That’s how you win in the playoffs, folks!

• cashmoney says:

No. what blanco did do was anticipating an off speed offering from Sanchez, something Detriit’s Sanchez did with regularities in what normally can be considered as fb count and smack the daylight out of it. The stats in ALCS reflected precisely how horrific the Yanks swung the bats. As for the Yanks, I think they are bunch of hitters on that team who are mistake hitters. Age, slow bat speed had turn the lot of them into fb guessing hitters. There are indeed handful of hitters who are simply incapable or refuse to adapt their swings to what situation dictates. As for small ball vs power argument. Why the fuck does it have to mutually exclusive? You want to a good balance of power and average and obp if you can. stats are a good starting point in evaluating any player but sometimes, just plain old watching the game helps.

• WhittakerWalt says:

You don’t lead the league in homers by being a team of guess hitters.

• cashmoney says:

err.. you can. btw, I said There are more than a few, not the entire team. Jeter and Ichiro are see it and hit it type of hitter. Arod has been a guess hitter for a long time. Grandson gears his bat for fastball all the time and thus has problem in adjustment to off speed offerings. And so does Tex LH and Martin. Along that line, pull tendency and deteriorating bat speed further complicate the problem for some of them.

• DC says:

err…you can’t.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Jeter and Ichiro were hardly integral parts of them leading the league in homers.
                Just because you’d like to believe the Yankees are a bunch of bums who up there guessing every time doesn’t make it a true statement.

• dalelama says:

Some guys just don’t get the game because they have never played it at an advanced level.

• WhittakerWalt says:

“Might smallball really win in the playoffs?”

Nope.

• Robinson Tilapia (never missed an opportunity to namedrop Chuck Cary) says:

I think I’ve read this over three times and I still have no idea what the hell you’re saying.

• Get Phelps Up says:

• DC says:

And idiots like you will continue to skew random events to fit into your self-proclaimed narrative.

• cashmoney says:

I am sure calling someone idiots further your narrative as well. I might not agree 100 percent with Cod’s comments, but I don’t think the man is an idiot.

• cashmoney says:

I think this offense needs help in term of more contactibility guys and some of the hitters on this team need to have better approaches in terms of situational hitting. But i don’t think that’s a small ball vs power argument as much as of having more rounded hitters with high baseball IQ.

24. Robinson Tilapia (never missed an opportunity to namedrop Chuck Cary) says:

Didn’t watch the game tonight but, wow, another marvelous job by the Giants’ pitching staff. Folks talk about “why can’t the Yanks be like __________.” In the end, though, there’s more than one way to build a winning baseball team, and SF really plays great “NL” baseball. This is a quite nice consolation price, baseball-wise, for those of us adopting them in a Yankee-less world.

25. vicki says:

any world series that ends without a river dance is a small victory.

26. Bavarian Yankee says:

Miggy sucks. Below .200 career hitter in the World Series and an OPS below .600. The Tigers should trade him … to the Yankees ;)

btw: that missplayed ball by A-Jax was kinda funny. Sometimes it’s even better to have Curtis Granderson in center.

27. jayd808 says:

What? You guys can’t get enough of watching those Tigers?