Nov

Open Thread: Yankees on Broadway

The Yankees are coming to Broadway. Producers Fran Kirmser and Tony Ponturo of “Lombardi” and “Magic/Bird” fame announced a theater project today that will be created in collaboration with both the team and MLB. “It is a thrill that two iconic American institutions — the Yankees and the Broadway Theater — are joining together,” said Yankees CEO Lonn Trost. “Just as generations of fans have been captivated in their seats at Yankee Stadium, theatergoers will be able to experience the same drama and joy. We look forward to opening our archives to the process and sharing our stories.”

I’m not a big theater guy but that sounds like it could be pretty neat. Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. The NFL game is the Dolphins at the Bills, plus both the Knicks and Nets are playing. Talk about whatever you like here, just don’t be a jerk.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Pat D says:

Interesting tidbits from the MVP voting.

First of all, someone put Raul Ibanez 10th. Not sure how that happened because ballots were due prior to the playoffs.

Also, the two NY guys who voted were Feinsand of the Daily News and George King of the Post. Feinsand didn’t have Cano in his top 10, while he had Jeter 3rd. King also had Jeter ahead of Cano. Meanwhile, Cano finished 4th overall despite getting little love from the two guys who see him every day. Weird.

2. The Fallen Phoenix says:

MVP voting is idiotic.

3. MB923 says:

Jeter finished 7th. Had he finished 6th, he would have made $2 million.

4. BENICIO DEL TORO says:

By joining broadway, the yankees show that they just want to help husbands across america get more blow jobs.

• jjyank says:

Haha, nice one. Funny, because it’s kinda true, at least in my experience. The only time I ever went to a Broadway show with a non-family member was with my (now ex) girlfriend, and she…appreciated me going with her. I’ll leave it at that.

5. Fack Youk says:

One can only imagine the sounds and bodily functions produced by John Sterling upon hearing this news

6. vin says:

Miguel Cabrera – 166 wRC+
    Mike Trout – 166 wRC+

Trout did play fewer games due to the Angels keeping him AAA out of ST. However, Trout was a beast in the field, and on the bases. Stupid RBIs are stupid.

7. Rooting for U.S. Steel says:

So supposedly Selig is reviewing the Marlins/Jays trade: http://news.yahoo.com/selig-re.....1;mlb.html

Trust him? Of course not. This is in reaction to fan noise, not out of genuine concern for the best interests of baseball — whatever those are.

• Mike Axisa says:

Selig reviews every trade in which more than $1M changes hands, this isn’t really the news the MSM is making it out to be. There’s no reason for him to veto the trade.

• Rooting for U.S. Steel says:

Mmmmaybe, but not every $1MM+ trade results in reporters asking the commissioner whether an owner should continue to run his franchise.

But you’re right: Fan ire alone isn’t a reason to veto a trade. And RAB posters have made some interesting arguments about its balance.

8. Rooting for U.S. Steel says:

Oh, and JJYank: Only one Broadway show? I live just off the Times Square/Theater District. Check the listings: There’s gotta be something that appeals to you. A new Monty Python adaptation, maybe?

And besides, I owe you a beer.

• jjyank says:

I’ve been to a few, just mostly with my parents. One with my grandma, a couple with various uncles/aunts. Just one with a girlfriend though haha. I’m not opposed to it at all. I’ve actually seen the Monty Python one with my parents, it was great. Kinda hard now that I don’t live in commuting distance now. And yes, friend, you owe me a beer! I’m not going anywhere, whenever you’re in the DC area.

9. Phil says:

Thinking about the Yanks acquiring Gincarlo Stanton..first they take Nolasco off their hands saving the Marlins $11.5M ..then offer Nova, Phelps Warren (3 starting pitchers) then top prospect tyler austin and maybe CoJo and Austin Romine

Is that enough???

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

nope

• Mattchu12 says:

It’ll be Mason Williams, Gary Sanchez, Ivan Nova, David Phelps, Adam Warren, and virtually anyone else that the Marlins want. And I’d say yes.

• Bo Knows says:

Not even close

it’ll literally take every top prospect in that system to pry Stanton away

My guess would be at least Sanchez, Williams, Austin, Slade, Phelps,Nova and one or two more guys just to get the conversation started

• MannyGeee says:

“Thinking about the Yanks acquiring Gincarlo Stanton..”

Yeah, you and everyone else… refocus your sights on a guy like LoMo, at least he’s fallen out of favor with the club (allegedly) so there is a theoretical chance.

10. Flyer7 says:

I dont trade Phelpsie so say Nova, Warren, Marshall,Cervelli, Noonie, CoJo or Adams and a lower level prospect

• Knoxvillain says:

Not happening. It would be awesome to have Stanton in RF next year but the Yankees don’t have the pieces unless they want to completely gut the system.

You’re talking Nova, Phelps, Sanchez, Williams, and two more prospects AND paying all of Nolasco’s salary. And Nolasco sucks which makes it even worse.

• MannyGeee says:

Who are you getting for that sack of nothing? ONE prospect out of the bunch, one Fringe prospect, and a bunch of meh behind it.

Although that is the kind of prospect Loria would go for, so what do I know.

11. pete from NH says:

If the Yankees trade A-Rod and eat a bunch of his salary does that count against the luxury tax? if not it would seem that maybe a deal with Tampa for Shields could be a win-win. Yankees get a much needed starter and payroll relief, Tampa gets a bat cheap (along with some low cost Yankee prospects).

12. Chuck says:

What is everyone’s thoughts on Kuroda right now?

• pete from NH says:

how much faith do you have in Hughes, Nova and Phelps? Even if CC and Andy come back strong at the front of the rotation I think you need to sign Kuroda for a year.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

He’s pretty much a must sign because other than Greinke who will demand huge money that the Yankees won’t pay, no other available pitcher is really in his class.

• MannyGeee says:

i think he’s *dreamy*

13. Ethan says:

Don’t think anyone saw this on last nights open thread cause I posted pretty late but I have a buddy who’s playing for team Thailand in the WBC with Johnny Damon. Thought that was pretty cool and worth sharing!

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

What an awesome experience. Was your friend a minor league player?

• Ethan says:

Nah he played some college ball. Yeah this guy and his brother are playing for the team. They emailed Damon about playing (cause he’s half thai) and he said he would be up for it. My friend’s brother was batting clean up behind damon. Just a really cool story!

14. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Mark Feinsand is classic. Someone called him brain damaged for not having Cano in his top 10 in MVP voting despite finishing 2nd in the league in WAR and his response was that “WAR means little to me.”

And this is a guy who writes about baseball for a living. Can’t make this stuff up.

• Knoxvillain says:

In all honesty, most of these voters are morons to begin with. I can’t comprehend what goes through these people’s mind when they vote on anything. Remember, these are the same people who voted for Ichiro for the ROY but not Matsui because he already played in Japan.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

It’s so painfully obvious that he must have something against Cano personally because I can’t believe anyone could be that utterly ignorant in his own supposed field of expertise.