Nov

Veterans Day Open Thread

Here’s your open thread for the night. The Texans and Bears are your late NFL games, plus there’s some NBA stuff going on somewhere. You folks know how these things work by now, so do what you do.

It’s always a bit of a pain to come up with photos for these things, so I’m going to just embed random MLB.com video clips until I get bored and think of something else.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Mattchu12 says:

Just watched the MLBN’s ‘Top 50 Plays At The Plate’ and I am very shocked that the Flip was only #4 on that list. I still get chills watching the Captain make that play.

• forensic says:

I’m sure it’ll be extremely unpopular here, but here goes anyway:

It was a nice play, but truthfully I’m still in the camp of those that think they make the out even without it, and that he may have even slowed it down with the transition.

• Mattchu12 says:

Personally, I think if he doesn’t get to it, it pulls Posada off the plate and towards the pitching mound, but thats me. We can’t really know fo rsure.

• NYY says:

Awesome call by the ump. That would have been a bad one to get wrong.

2. forensic says:

Boy do the Giants suck right now. They better figure something out soon since they’re not even bowl eligible yet and they’ll certainly be out of the top 25 poll this week.

You know you’re playing terribly when you’re facing another terrible team and you’re so bad that the network switches off your game with a quarter to go to try to find a competitive game.

• Pat D says:

Uhhhhhhhhhh………

• Robinson Tilapia (IS Nate Silver) says:

Yet somehow they’ll be OK. They’re such an incredibly frustrating team to watch for about 3/4 of the season.

Jets are an absolute embarrassment. Sparano’s awful, Ryan’s a great coach for newspapers but those defenses never remain solid over 16 games, Sanchez needs an incredibly strong supportive cast, yet never gets one, and Tebow…..sigh. So sick of looking at his mug on the sidelines. Talk about an NYC team that truly actually does need an overhaul.

At least there’s the NBA and a new season of “Top Chef.”

• Pat D says:

I’m starting to wonder if the Giants will be OK. They still get to play Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta and Baltimore. The offense has been shit for the last 4 games, frankly, and the defense hasn’t been much better. No pass rush and way too many big plays allowed because the corners and the safeties are never on the same page.

3. THU says:

“I’m one of those wimpy guys who hoped 9/11 didn’t somehow result in me being drafted” – Wow, can’t believe somoene said that. Thats one of the last things I’d ever think of when it comes to 9/11.

• jjyank says:

Not everyone is the military type. I was only 13 when 9/11 happened, so that was mute for myself. But if I was old enough, I wouldn’t really want to go into active duty either. Hell, I thought about it a year ago and decided a domestic-based job was best for my skill set. Nothing wrong with that.

• MannyGeee says:

Funny, I had always said that we were as close in my lifetime that day to opening a draft them I think we’ll ever see. FWIW I have no issue with Mike saying this. A soldier is a skillset that you either have or don’t. Nothing would be more dangerous than sending guys to fight who don’t have the ‘chops’ for it.

No offense, of course… But you’re either born with it or not.

• Pat D says:

I agree. I mean, I was 20 when 9/11 happened and I never wanted any part of being in the military. It’s not an environment in which I could succeed because I don’t do well with taking orders.

But I also didn’t want any part of the military for the way my uncle got fucked over by the army. He served in Panama, fucked up his knee, and never got any support from the army for it both during and after his service.

• Robinson Tilapia (IS Nate Silver) says:

I’d only lived in NYC for two months when 9/11 happened. My now-wife/then-girlfriend was on the Q train going over the Manhattan Bridge into Manhattan in between the first and second strike. Everyone looked up and someone made a joke that went something like “oh shit, there’s a fire at WTC? Know what sucks? There’s no ladder for that….” Then someone else apparently said “Holy shit….did someone just jump?” and they went back underground. Spend all day sitting in our Prospect Heights apartment wondering if/when she was getting back home, which didn’t happen until about 6:00 PM.

• I am not the droids you're looking for...(I believe that children are our future) says:

Check out a film called Day Zero, it’s kind of a reimagined world post 9/11 where the draft has been reinstated. Not a war film. Character drama. Follows three guys who get drafted and have 30 days to report. Elijah Wood, Jon Bernthal, Chris Klein. Great women in the supporting roles too.

4. Drew says:

Really Interested in seeing TWD tonight, and how Rick reacts to (spoilers) Lori’s death and how different it is going to be from the books.

5. E-ROC says:

It’s cool, Mike. I wasn’t built for the Army and Marines so I joined the Air Force. I appreciate the shoutout

6. Robinson Tilapia (IS Nate Silver) says:

I have a friend who, about ten years ago, was low on money and decided, into his 40′s, to re-enlist in the National Guard Reserves. He’s now been to Afghanistan twice. Strange how life works out.

Was never the military type either, but I think we all agree it’s not for everyone. Didn’t even do my first pull-up until my 30′s. :)

7. nsalem says:

Why does the military and all these politicians bring up this “Don’t ask Dotel” policy? Do they have something against Octavio? He’s not American and probably not eligible for the service anyway. What is it that they don’t want to ask him? Does a Dominican relief pitcher for the Tigers know something? I just don’t understand all of this.

8. Giancarlo Stanton 2017 says:

Anyone see Skyfall yet?

I thought it was definitely Craig’s best Bond film and Bardem eerily reminded me of the Joker.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I haven’t, but is there any truth to my wife’s claim that Idris Elba is actually being considered as the next Bond? That’d certainly be interesting.

• Giancarlo Stanton 2017 says:

Craig is signed on for the next 2 (rumored to be directed by Chris Nolan). I’ve heard Elba’s name thrown around as well. Flemming never clarified that Bond was white, but I just don’t see Hollywood doing it. We’ll see, he’s certainly a good actor.

• Francesa says:

Fleming described Bond as a little like a cross between Hoagy Carmichael and himself and in Casino Royale, Bond girl Vesper Lynd remarks, “Bond reminds me rather of Hoagy Carmichael, but there is something cold and ruthless.”
          Fleming never imagined Bond to be anything but white.

• Giancarlo Stanton 2017 says:

Well, I stand corrected. Even with that said, I truly hope Elba’s race does not immediately eliminate him from contention. They took a step in that direction with the casting of Naiome Harris as Eve…

• Bo Knows says:

That would be amazing if Elba was made the next bond, it’ll be interesting to see how the hardcore fans would react. They went ape-shit when Craig was first cast because he is blond haired with blue eyes (Bond was described as and always portrayed by men with dark brown or black hair, with dark eyes)

• RetroRob says:

The Bond character has evolved since the 1960s. There was great outrage when Craig was cast as Bond because he didn’t fit the type that hardcore fans viewed as Bond. That worked out fine. No reason the next Bond can’t be a different race.

• dalelama says:

That is like casting Tom Hanks as Willie May.

• Havok9120 says:

To be fair, Flemming didn’t need to clarify that the Scotsman (and he did write the Scottish ancestry in) was white when he wrote the books. Even now Scotland is made up of 98% (!) racial whites.

It’d certainly be interesting.

• Andrew 518 says:

I consider myself to be pretty big into Bond for me it is most important that the character is there. Inasmuch as if he were black, it might be weird at first, but as long as he follows the Bond character I could certainly enjoy it.

Craig hasn’t bothered me because he is blond and blue eyed, I don’t like him becuase his character lacks the refinement that I expect from 007. The part in Casino Royale where he gets mistaken for the valet. A real bond would never be mistaken for a valet. I’ve found the Craig bond films to be great action movies, but I’m not sure if they are really Bond, kind of generic.

That said I’ve heard that this one gets a bit closer to the traditional model, and as always I’m pretty excited to see it.

• Pat D says:

This is what Roger Ebert had to say about Quantum of Solace, and I found that I agreed with him.

…but for the 23rd it is necessary to go back to the drawing board and redesign from the ground up. Please understand: James Bond is not an action hero! He is too good for that. He is an attitude. Violence for him is an annoyance. He exists for the foreplay and the cigarette. He rarely encounters a truly evil villain. More often a comic opera buffoon with hired goons in matching jump suits.

I repeat: James Bond is not an action hero! Leave the action to your Jason Bournes. This is a swampy old world. The deeper we sink in, the more we need James Bond to stand above it.

So he basically said that the Craig Bond movies were begat not from Ian Fleming, but from the Bourne movies. I think this was pretty accurate. I do still want to see Skyfall, however.

9. Alkaline says:

I read most of the Montero trade thread earlier today. Here’s my .02.

I have absolutely no problem with Cashman making that trade. One thing I always try to keep in mind is the fact that these guys have things go on behind closed doors we will never know. From what we did know, Montero showed in the minors (I saw him multiple times) what he was capable of. That transition to the majors is rarely smooth, though, especially with his defensive issues. This is where you have to trust the resources of the team and the fact that the last placed M’s rarely used Montero as catcher shows us the extent of Montero’s flaws.

To make a trade for a dynamite young cost controlled starter is, IMO, the best case scenario. It sucks he got hurt, but you take that chance with every single member on your roster. We can’t judge this trade right now. All we could do is hope Pineda comes back with a vengeance.

• dalelama says:

But the wise knew Pineda was hurt hence the stupidity of the trade.

• Bo Knows says:

How did the these “wise” people know he was hurt, if they did not look into his medicals, or give him a physical and have never been with 5 miles of Pineda. All of which….you know the Yankees did before making the trade.

pulling something out your ass does not make you wise.

10. Mel Hall says:

I miss Matt Nokes

11. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Hey Mike,
    I know I’m late, but “Happy Veterans Day to all of you veterans out there. I’m one of those wimpy guys who hoped 9/11 didn’t somehow result in me being drafted, so thanks for your service.” is a legit comment. You’re welcome–most vets would welome the honesty and also tell you that we got just as much from our service as we gave, if not more.