Dec

Update: “No chance” the Yankees pursue Michael Bourn

Friday: Wally Matthews hears there is “no chance” the Yankees will pursue Bourn, nevermind sign him. Not only is his price tag too high, but the team is looking for a right-handed outfield bat, not another lefty. No surprise here.

Sunday: Via Nick Cafardo: The Yankees are believed to be “quietly interested” in Michael Bourn. With Josh Hamilton and B.J. Upton off the board, Bourn and Nick Swisher are by far the two best outfielders left on the free agent market.

Bourn, 30 later this month, hit .274/.348/.391 (104 wRC+) with 42 steals (in 55 attempts) for the Braves this year. He’s one of the very defensive outfielders in the game and has a classic slap-hitting, leadoff man profile from the left side of the plate. The Yankees already have two of those guys in Brett Gardner and Ichiro Suzuki, so their supposed interest doesn’t make much sense. Add in the fact that he’s a Scott Boras client (no discount) and would require a draft pick to sign, this one doesn’t pass the sniff test.

1. 28 this year says:

This seems stupid. If they have money for Bourn, just sign Swisher.

2. Dr. Vinny Boombatz says:

Hell no…Should have signed Hamilton if you are gonna do this…Also as the article says we already have Ichiro and Gardner…and Mason Williams in the minors…so makes zero sense.

3. Dan says:

This seems like it would only make sense if Cashman has a trade in place for Gardner or Granderson; though it makes less sense with Granderson because then they should be looking for someone with more power. I don’t really know what he could be trading for, maybe a 3rd baseman that would be better than Youkillis or a starting pitcher to provide better depth there.

4. Knoxvillain says:

Pass. He doesn’t impress me. His game is based around speed and he’s not young.

• Yankees Insider says:

Gardner is only a year younger and bourn is better then him. But Gardner is cheaper. If we trade GRANDY and Gardner and sign bourn then we have bourn making GRANDY money and we possibly get a young RH hitting OF like Mayberry JR. Who knows the yanks would have to have a plan. And are we forgetting why we’re not resigning swisher? He sucked for us and went on one tear the whole year for like 4days where he Hit 4 HR and 2Doubles. Other then that he shouldn’t make more money then he did last year. But at the end of the day we’re forgetting about younger players being brought up. Our last position player brought up was Gardner like 4 years ago. We have Mesa,almonte,Adams,Joseph, and Dickerson that can be brought up. Also the pitchers last one was Robertson. This year though I do see them bringing up Montgomery, CABRAL, and warren for stints or even most of the year. Notable players would be Turley, KAHNLE(throws 100mph), and Marshall who could be up end of the season or 2014.

5. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I would take him, especially if it meant turning around and trading Gardner in a package for someone #pipedreams

6. The Real Eddard says:

Weren’t they also “quietly interested” in Hamilton and then he went to the Angels? The problem with this Yankee F.O. is that they’re “quietly interested” in everybody and actually get nobody. The Blue Jays are building an arsenal to beat the Yankees, the Angels are in an arms race with the Dodgers and the Yankee F.O. isn’t lifting a finger.

7. kevin says:

trade gardner for devin mesoraco!!!!!!

8. dkidd says:

girardi: where’s bourne???
    cashman: he’s calling from the clubhouse!!!!

9. kenthadley says:

C’mon. This has Boras-leak all over it. That’s how he builds up the interest in his clients. Surprised it didn’t come from Heymann.

10. Deep Thoughts says:

Typical Bore-Ass use of the Yankees to increase demand artificially. Only surprised it wasn’t Rosenthal or Heyman.

11. dkidd says:

jon heyman reports that i have “quiet interest” in jessica biel

12. JLC 776 says:

I’ve always admired Bourn, but I’m happier just having Gardner for a whole year (hopefully).

13. Tom says:

I don’t understand RAB’s fascination with the manner in which a player helps his team win. Why should it matter if several players derive a lot of their value from D?

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Maybe because a lot of people question the statistical measures of defensive vaue.

I for one think that fangraphs significantly overestimates the value of players like Bourn and Gardener who’s value is pretty much all defensive.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Mike Axisa said it well the other day. I’m paraphrasing, but it was something like: “Fangraphs turns every track star into a four-WAR outfielder.”

• Laz says:

I often feel the same, that WAR often overrates defense, and it doesn’t even accurately get it all the time. But sometimes I’ll use it, just because it is the closest I can get to a solid number of how many wins a team won or lost by making a move.

• FIPster Doofus says:

For one, it’s easier to gauge offensive value. Defensive stats are less refined. Two, offense is the more important aspect of the game. For example, the Yankees of the early 2000s mashed their way into the playoffs annually with a bunch of scrubs playing defense for them (i.e. Sheffield, Matsui, etc.). Those teams were epically bad on defense. On the other hand, how often do great defensive clubs that struggle offensively go anywhere? Not very, it seems.

14. BigLoving says:

It would be fun to watch Bourn, Gardner and Ichiro stow havoc on the base paths while also providing one of the most ridiculous defensive outfields I can think of for the Yanks. But I doubt it will happen bc of the 189 rather than RAB readers not liking the fact that the Yanks lineup doesn’t feature 30+ HR/150+ K potential at every spot 1-9.

• KennyH123 says:

Are you insane? That would easily be the worst offensive OF in the history of baseball.

• Herby says:

Don’t think you’d ever see the three of them in an outfield together…even if this was a real consideration by the Yankees which is unlikely, there would probably be a trade that had been developed at the Winter meetings that would’ve led to this. I certainly wouldn’t mind Gardner finding greener pastures, bandages, casts and braces elsewhere. Players with his body type who play with his type of abandon just don’t hold up over a season as we’ve seen. Although I’m not sure Bourne is the answer.

• amanda says:

that outfield could hit 15 home runs the gogo yanks um no

• RetroRob says:

So you prefer your OFers who strike out 150 times to hit 9 HRs? Because that’s what Bourne did. He strikesout like a slugger, but doesn’t hit like one. This of Brett Gardner’s .270 bat mating with Curtis Granderson’s strikeouts without the power. I give you Michael Bourne.

15. KennyH123 says:

Gardner has tremendous defensive value, but he also grinds out AB’s, works walks, terrorizes the pitcher, catcher, and infield whenever he gets on base, generates fastballs for guys up after him, steals a ton of bases, and generally wreaks havoc. He’s overrated??? Um, no he’s not.

16. Kevin G. says:

No fly ball is safe!

17. j says:

Gee I wonder who would float that rumor? Maybe his agent…

18. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Cashman probably has some degree of interest in pretty much every free agent so reports like these from Cafardo just show there’s not much going on.

Pretty soon, theyll be reporting what Cashman had for breakfast.

19. Robinson Tilapia says:

Rumors I Don’t Believe, Part 834.

20. Chuck says:

I think if any signings go on it will be as promised the bottom feeding type. Maybe a trade here or there. I’m okay with the team we have. Just hope to see some prospects come up and develop. I really enjoyed the end of 11 watching montero

21. Jacob says:

No thanks, I like bourn but not on the yankees.

22. Brian S. says:

I’m actually a huge Bourn fan so I support this move as long as it is for three years.

23. amanda says:

another free agent lie is born eh

24. Mister D says:

I stopped lending credibility at “Nick Cafardo”.

25. RetroRob says:

He’s only 30. The Yankees won’t be interested in him for at least another three or four years!

Seriously, this makes little sense, although I don’t think Cafardo is making this up entirely. The truth is somewhere between. I’m sure the Yankees are monitoring the entire free-agent market, and if a quality player falls into their lap at a below-market price, they probably would go for it. They would then turn around and trade one of their OFers, most likely Gardner to fill another need. Gardner is cheaper than Bourne, but if they thought they could fill another need cheaper by using Gardner, then maybe it makes sense.

Mostly, though, this is as likely a true story as the Hamilton rumors were. Just the Yankees checking about just in case they see a scenario that makes sense.

26. Ted Nelson says:

Doubt it’s legit, but if it is I wonder if the Yankees aren’t putting a lot more value on OF defense than the mainstream view. Would be interesting if they’ve developed some more advanced defensive metrics.

• RetroRob says:

I thought about that, although I can’t see them going forward with all three OF slots filled with similar type of low-power players. I can see them value hunting and then making additional trades.

• Ted Nelson says:

That’s why I say that I doubt it’s legit. I’m just wondering if they’ve happened to find that truly elite OF defense is more important to winning games than power. I doubt it, just wondering. A lot of people seem to still assume teams are dumb when it comes to advanced stats and lagging behind the fans, I guess because that’s the way it started out. These days I really doubt that’s true for the well run organizations. They can hire people who are as smart as just about any fan and give them far more resources to work with.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Considering aside from the few games that Gardner played, their only outfielder who was even close to average defensively was Swisher, that would be a pretty big change in philosophy from the last few years.

27. Jacob says:

The other thing with bourn is for a stolen base guy you have to get on base more than just a .348 clip, I mean come on

28. dan gen says:

189,189,189,189,189,189,189,189,189,189,189,189,reality sucks1

29. Sterling says:

Another idiot move by Cashman. He needs to go.

30. pistol pete says:

That rumor is nonsense. The Yankees have no interest in Bourn, if they do they’re out of their minds.

31. Cuso says:

A Boston beat-writer says the Yankees have quiet interest.

Okay….

32. trr says:

Ain’t happening, let’s move on.

33. Robinson Tilapia says:

Light a candle for Brian S. tonight. There will be no Michael Bourn in pinstipes.

Then again, the report did come from Wally Matthews.

34. Greg says:

rather have Jason Bourne that Michael Bourn. At least he can kill people.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

FUN FACT: I’ve actually been in Brett Ratner’s apartment. His doorbell has what name on it? Yup, J. Bourne.

35. Bruce says:

Jut another example of Carfardo talking out of his butt. He has no clue. Chalk it up to his market.

36. dkidd says:

nick cafardo woke up this morning to find a gift basket from scott boras on the bedside table

37. Greg says:

We have 13 pitchers for 12 spots. We have 11 position players for 13 spots. I’m assuming two 2 Cervelli, Stewart and Romine make it, Nunez makes it and Dickerson makes it. So we have to add another infielder (hopefully someone who can play both corner spots) and another outfielder/DH type (like Swisher, for instance).