Jan

Surprise surprise: Yankees will open 2013 season on ESPN

In the least surprising news ever, the Yankees will open the 2013 season with an ESPN broadcast. The self-proclaimed worldwide leader in sports will broadcast the Opening Day matchup with the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium as part of the network’s quadruple header on Monday, April 1st. The game starts at 1pm ET.

In the most surprising news ever, ESPN selected the Astros (the Astros!) for the season-opening game on Sunday, March 31st at 8pm ET. The ‘Stros are moving to the AL next season, so their first game in the circuit is a historic moment even if the team stinks. Plus they have some sweet new uniforms to debut. They’ll be playing the Rangers in Houston, meaning someone like Bud Norris or Lucas Harrell will throw out the first pitch of the 2013 season. Can’t say I expected that.

Categories : Asides

1. Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

I love the Black Alternate Away, that is a fantastic looking Jersey.

2. Blake says:

Stewart catching opening day is an April fools joke right?

3. MB923 says:

Can’t wait to go. Hopefully we start off the season the way we finished them, kicking their ass.

4. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

lol Jose Altuve.

5. Gonzo says:

Kinda glad that the opener isn’t a NY or Boston game at night.

6. RetroRob says:

Opening Day starter for the Astros: Roger Clemens. Good for ratings.

7. forensic says:

So, what are people more frustrated with the Indians for? Signing Swisher instead of the Yankees or hiring Francona thereby putting John Kruk in the booth for Sunday Night Baseball?

I know which one I’m picking…

8. Get Phelps Up says:

I really thought thatESPN would gobble up the Yankees/Red Sox to be the Sunday game. Oh well, one less Sunday Night Baseball game is never bad.

9. Bob Buttons says:

Maybe that’s ESPN’s way to apologize for calling the Rangers “Texas’ Team”.

(No idea what that is about but saw a rant somewhere)

10. Deep Thoughts says:

Boy I hate Houston. My favorite scene in the history of movies is in “Independence Day” when the US military nukes Houston. I could rewind and rewatch that all day long.

• JMK says:

I flew out to Houston for a job interview about a year ago. I spent about a day checking out the city and decided there was no way I could live there. Awful place.

11. Murderers' Row Boat says:

At least it’s a 1pm game and not the 8:30pm early spring ESPN special.

12. TrollHunter says:

The Rangers and the Angels will get a big boost beating up on the doormat Astros. Lucky them!

13. Andrew Brotherton says:

Give the Astros about two years though and they will making a lot of noise, they have an awesome farm system and add to the most likely first or second picks for the next two drafts and they will be a young powerhouse.