Jan

Thursday Night Open Thread

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRJyrXjhTE0]

The Yankees are reportedly very close to signing Travis Hafner to be their new left-handed hitting DH, so I plugged “Travis Hafner highlights” into Google and that video came up. The one thing I’ve always enjoyed about Pronk is that between his size — listed at 6-foot-3 and 240 lbs., but yeah right — and batting stance, he is one scary looking dude at the plate. I don’t know if there is any actual on-field value in that (scare the pitcher into making a mistake?), but it couldn’t hurt.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. All three hockey locals are in action, so talk about those three games or anything else here. Enjoy.

Special Thursday Night Chat Reminder!: Ben is holding an all-A-Rod chat at 8pm ET tonight, so stop on buy if you’re not already sick to death of that story.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Bob Buttons says:

What I enjoy about him is how he’s a 42nd rounder and did pretty well in the big leagues.

From what I know Piazza is probably the most successful late-rounder (beyond 20), both in WAR and in terms of rounds (62nd)

2. DJ says:

If he stays healthy, he was the best LH DH option available.

3. Anthony says:

ESPN reporting that Arod “has no plans at all to retire”.

• RetroRob says:

Why would he? He loves playing baseball. The only way he’s leaving the Yankees if they pay him a ton of money, and then he goes and plays for another team. Considering the state of the 3B market, he will have lots of takers.

• Blake says:

That’s why if he can get healthy I bet they try to just trade him….they’ll have to eat a lot of money but trading him is preferable to just buying him out if possible…..you actually might can save a little money that way.

• RetroRob says:

Emotions are running high now. It’s like A-Rod is the most horrible human being in the world. No. He’s just another athlete that took PEDs, and even though I’m pretty sure the most recent story is true, I will still give him the benefit of the doubt until he has his day in court, so to speak.

It was darn near impossible to trade him before because of the money. The hip surgery takes it to basically zero. He’d have to come back and show he has something still, and then the Yankees would have to eat a ton of money. Just don’t see it happening.

• Blake says:

I agree with all of that….it’s just kinda hard for me to picture him playing for the Yanks again with all that’s happened now….especially if they actually go through with trying to void his contract.

There were two reasons he was untradeable before…..one was the money and the other was the no trade….if the gulf between Alex and the Yanks has grown big enough then both parties may change their stances on those issues and decide a divorce is best for both sides……

• RetroRob says:

I understand. I’d add that it’s easy for fans to want him to go away, but A-Rod loves playing, so he’s not leaving baseball with this as his final act. Meanwhile, the Yankees owe him $114M, so Hal might just go into convulsions while cursing Hank if they just were to buy A-Rod out.

This is the hot story of the moment and there is no baseball to distract the media from it. It’s red meat in the cage, blood in the water.

Eventually the season will start, A-Rod will be off working out and rehabbing, and doubt may eventually be cast on the story. Come July, the Yankees offense might be sputtering, their exposure to LH’d pitchers highlighted, Youkilis off on the DL, and Yankee fans will be wondering, “when the hell is A-Rod coming back?” He’ll never be loved, but he will once again be wanted.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Because dalelama and Eddard told him to, of course.

4. RetroRob says:

Who is this Ben you speak of?

5. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Today is Jackie Robinson’s birthday.

6. MannyGeee says:

From the look at those stands in Cleveland, Pronk REALLY won’t feel at home in the Bronx until October, AmiRite!?!?!?!

7. CS Yankee says:

Pronk pulls it past the pole and plates the pirst postseason pwinning phrun!

8. Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

I used to be a shark, Lemon. But you unsharkulated me.

9. I could be wrong here but wasn’t Tyler Austin a 3B a season or two ago, wouldn’t it be wise to switch him back and see if he sticks?

10. dennyneagleshooker says:

Does Pronk wear a Yankees or an Indians hat into the hall of fame?!

11. Brooklyn Ed says:

Since Hafner is on the verge of being signed, I wonder if Boone Logan will give up #48 for him?

12. Jonathan says:

I had a friend that I played HS baseball with that ended up going to Cowley County Community College (Hafner went there) from 2003-2005 and apparently he came back and took batting practice with a metal bat and was hitting the ball 200-300 feet out of the ballpark routinely and shattered a bat. He also was estimated at around 285 lbs. I had no problem believing any of those stories. Keep in mind at a JUCO there aren’t stands in the OF so the ball travels much farther than all these bullshit HR distances we see on TV that are how far the ball traveled in the air and not how far it would have gone if there was nothing in the way.

13. Herby says:

More good reasons to turn off the sounds during Yankee games, Michael Kay, and having to listen to, “Pronk”.

14. Havok9120 says:

Those stands…..yikes.

Like the opening games in Major League.

15. WhittakerWalt says:

I asked this before, but still have no answer:
    What will Sterling’s HR call be for Hafner?

16. Stratman9652 says:

I already love his swing. Nothing beats those big back swing violent swings.

17. formerBleacherCreature says:

Been a life-long Yankees fan. Spent my high school and college years in the right field bleachers at old Yankee Stadium. I can honestly say Brian Cashman is so incompetent I will not go to a game in 2013 out of protest of this offseason. Travis Hafner? $2 million? The man hasn’t played a full season since 2007! Raul Ibanez was waiting for their call and signed for $2.75 mil. The front office couldn’t find common ground? There’s being frugal and I get the whole salary cap garbage but this is insanity paired with being lazy.
    It is a crime to have let such important pieces walk out the door over less than a million dollars when you are the NEW YORK YANKEES! The Yankees front office is a joke, not because they don’t want to sign Josh Hamilton, but because they’ve signed NO ONE to play CATCHER AND DH! A.J. Pierzynski 1 year deal – where are the Yankees? Michael Young traded and 10 of $16 mil paid by Texas – where are the Yankees? Mike Morse traded (Cashman says we need a righty OF bat) – where are the Yankees?
    There’s a difference between spending wisely and being stupid. I hate to say it but the Yankees are now just stupid.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Had you posted this at 10 am instead of 10 pm, this would have started hours of arguing and dozens of comments.

• Herby says:

Haffner is basically a no risk signing…if he sucks you cut him. Could he provide the power they need, certainly. I’d still rather see ibanez, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. If he stays healthy and even stays on the team you’ll probably see similar numbers.
      The only one you’re hurting by not going to games is yourself, I don’t think Brian is going to lose any sleep over it, or let go during his next repelling session. Pierzynski would’ve been a lousy signing, probably wouldn’t recreate what he did previously. Morse, not much of an OF but could’ve been useful, but not someone I’ll lose sleep or players over. Young’s best days are behind him and I don’t think you’d find a useful spot for him as a p/t player at that salary.

• Havok9120 says:

Yikes.

I’ll take what the Yankees have done over what you would have done in this post.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

1. Travis Hafner is a full six years younger than Raul Ibanez. I’d absolutely rather take the chance he could produce at a limited role than role the dice a second year on Raul.

2. You want AJ. They didn’t.

3. You want Michael Young. They didn’t.

I understand feeling underwhelmed. I really do. What I don’t understand is when people decide they want x player and y player and, when the Yankees don’t share that assessment, it’s the Yankees who are wrong.

I hope you’re in the bleachers anyway this year. We can finally access the rest of the stadium.

• Bob Buttons says:

For starters, Cashman doesn’t give a rat’s ass whether you go to games or not. You as an individual protesting is not gonna make Cashman (or anyone matters) raise an eyebrow).

Ibanez might not be able to repeat his performance, and it is nice that all our memories of him are fond memories of his heroics. I mean, a bad season in the pinstripes can ruin that easily.

Pierzynski is supposedly an asshole in the baseball world. Also, it is very unlikely that he repeats his performance. See how Jorge was never able to repeat his performance in 2007. Pierzynski is a fraction of a player that Jorge was. For all we know, Pierzynski might get outhit (and maybe even out-field) by Cervelli.

Michael Young is not an outfielder or a DH. He is a horrible fielder, and he plays much better in his hitting haven of a home. Also, Youkilis, if healthy, will easily outproduce a healthy Young.

Michael Morse, did you even see what Oakland gave up? A.J. Cole was supposedly the centerpiece of the Gio Gonzalez deal in the eyes of some. There are two more players to be named later. Seattle gave up an above average hitter who can play some catcher. To some, that might be a steep price for an OF who’s due to be FA next season.

There’s a difference between what we know and what the Yankees front office knows. I don’t want to sound so harsh at 12AM EST but your lack of faith makes me laugh. A lot of Yankees fans are upset at the off-season, a lot of them panicking, and you’re one of the extremists. Don’t get this wrong, I might have one of the more positive outlooks on the off-season amongst the RAB community, but I would like to see more acquisitions too. However, since I don’t have access to the info that the Yankees front office do have, I’d like to believe in our front office. After all, a front office doesn’t turn from average (at worse) to utterly stupid in the span of one season.

However, I do applaud you for being a Yankees fan, past and present. There are even more extreme non-believers out there who simply stopped being a Yankees fan over the past year or so (possibly including Cliff Corcoran?)

• forensic says:

If only you had spent your high school and college years in class instead of the bleachers. Then maybe you’d be blessing us with your GM’ing prowess instead of having to deal with Cashman…

• forensic says:

Sorry, I don’t usually comment like that, but I blame the peer pressure from the guys above… :-)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s also downright late/early for you to be commenting.

• forensic says:

Heh, I don’t know if I should be, but I’m starting to take to this ‘cult’ following of my late-night appearances.

I don’t even work all-night anymore, but my time change adds to it and makes it seem like it. Also, as you (may) know, there’s also the toddler factor who won’t sleep through every night yet and I’m taking many of the night shifts since I’m just getting home anyway.

18. Reason says:

Cash Man continues to do his best work focusing on players others reject. If this was fantasy baseball, he’s the guy in the fantasy draft who bargains hunts at the end and wins the league. Bookmark this post. The Yankees will win the AL East again.