Jan

Waldstein: Yankees didn’t make offer to Pedro Feliciano

This isn’t very surprising, but David Waldstein confirmed the Yankees did not make any kind of offer to Pedro Feliciano before he signed a minor league contract with the Mets yesterday. The Bombers already have enough left-handed relief options at both the big league (Boone Logan & Clay Rapada) and Triple-A (Josh Spence & Juan Cedeno) levels, plus they already wasted enough time and effort on Feliciano these last two years. I’m guessing they won’t make an offer to Damaso Marte either.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. viridiana says:

No interest in Feliciano but could someone tally up the number of RAB headlines this winter that included some version of “Yanks did NOT…”

• Jim Is Bored says:

You could make that case with every team, though.

The amount of moves you don’t make >>>> the amount of moves you make.

2. Robinson Tilapia says:

They didn’t tender Britt Burns either.

3. Tom Kinley says:

Just another bad decision by Cashman, I don’t know how he get away with it. If you start listing the player he’s signed or traded for that have need played the list would run off the page. Time for a new GM

• Jim Is Bored says:

I was almost going to post a parody version of this viewpoint, but now I don’t have to.

• jjyank says:

I’m not even sure what your complaint is. Cashman signs and trades for too many players have “have need played”? I assume that would be “never”. And that list is rather small, actually. My grocery list is longer, and I’m only shopping for myself.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yes, Brian Cashman is the only GM in baseball to sign a fungible middle reliever to a dumb contract.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Feliciano would have been a nice fit had he not gotten injured.

My only problem with Cashman on that signing was when he came out and criticized the Mets for abusing Feliciano AFTER he got injured. Had he felt that way, he should have stayed away from him from the beginning or maybe only have offered a 1 year deal, not 2/$8 million.

• Blake says:

Hey at least Cash made sure he wasn’t abused for the Mets this time

• dalelama says:

Agreed, you would have thought that Cashman knowing how the Mets abused Feliciano should have known better than to sign him. This signing was almost as stupid as the Nick Johnson one.

• Ted Nelson says:

No GM doesn’t make mistakes.

4. high heat says:

I’m curious to see what Cesar Cabral brings in ST. Expectations are low given the TJ surgery, obviously, but he had a very live left arm.

5. trr says:

I’d be more upset if they DID make an offer!

6. Hoss says:

I guess that Cashman can do no wrong in the eyes of the commenters who control RAB discussions. This signing has to go down as one of the single biggest bonehead moves in recent memory. Why? Because Cashman knew that the Mets “abused” him before he signed the guy. Caveat emptor, schmuck. Adios $8 million for 0 pitches.

7. theyankeewarrior says:

Waldstein: Yankees didn’t make offer to anyone.

8. Jase says:

why would they? He made 8 million dollars and didn’t throw a pitch, and had no problem pocketing every cent of it. I don’t blame them for not offering him one again….

9. Adam T says:

Those guys are both retreads. The NYY learned their lesson when it comes to lefty relievers. They got lucky with Marte in 2009 but after that they cut the cord on those guys. You can pick them up almost anywhere, not worth a multi-year deal

10. emac2 says:

I heard they offered him something but it wasn’t something you can mention on a family site.

11. Michael Gianthead Kay says:

Signing Feliciano was a good move on paper. He was a lights out leftie KILLER….which is exactly what the Yanks were looking for at the time. he was damaged goods…who knew. Can’t blame Cashman for that. Same as Pineda. S*** happens man. So it is in the world of sports.